Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Man I'd love for the amount of meds I take to result in hunger loss to the point of weight loss. I wonder if one of my meds is making me fatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

God Over Djinn posted:

I have the exact same relationship with hunger now. It's not that I don't feel hungry, or that I don't know that I ought to eat, it's just that everything else I might be doing seems more compelling than eating does, regardless of how physically hungry I am. Unfortunately, I didn't find any other magic bullet solutions (and obviously I don't recommend drinking regularly to anyone! It's more just a funny thing that I noticed.) I did find it easier to eat immediately after taking my pill (instead of hours later), and also late at night after they wore out.

Oddly enough, I haven't lost any weight to speak of. I think that's because I was concurrently started on an SSRI with a common symptom of severe weight gain. My weight has stayed the same within 5 pounds or so in spite of eating much, much less.
I gained a lot of weight from other meds that increased my appetite, so I guess a substantial part of that weight loss is just making up for that. I still weigh less than before I started taking them, though.

signalnoise posted:

Man I'd love for the amount of meds I take to result in hunger loss to the point of weight loss. I wonder if one of my meds is making me fatter
Very possible. A lot of psych meds gently caress with appetite one way or another.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

signalnoise posted:

You might want to get a recent checkup to be safe it's something that has been on your mind for awhile.

Umm, the fun factor of RX side effects tends to decline once you realize eating is now somewhat optional but if you forget daily meals you end up feeling tired or exhausted for no reason.

Weight tends to fluctuate unless there are notable lifestyle changes in the end :doh:

Oh total loss of appetite is a downside for me at least. Favorite food? OK, maybe if I feel like it in a few hours otherwise let me take a nap now.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

God Over Djinn posted:

[...]when I get back from a long run or bike ride, and for the next few hours, I find it very difficult to concentrate and tend to get 'stuck' on meaningless activities like reading the news or browsing the forums (this 'getting stuck' - sometimes for many hours at a time - is my most severe ADD symptom)[...]
I get this in general. It's almost always fixed by eating something semi-substantial (at a minimum). At least for me, zoning out after a long day or physical activity is my body's way of saying "EAT SOMETHING DUMBASS". Despite this, I still only get the message some of the time and then wonder wtf I'm doing after an extended period of being "hunger-dumb".

This has bitten me in the rear end pretty hard during projects that take more than an hour or so, because I'll just want to keep plowing ahead even though I've already worked through lunchtime after not having any breakfast. Then I'll hit an obstacle and make a bad decision or injure myself because my brain and body are running on fumes.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I've lost quite a bit (at least 2 kilos) since starting Ritalin a month ago. That seems kinda drastic, should I be worried?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

chthonic bell posted:

I've lost quite a bit (at least 2 kilos) since starting Ritalin a month ago. That seems kinda drastic, should I be worried?
I've lost more in the same timeframe, so you probably don't need to be too concerned. Still, if you think it's a problem, talk to your doctor. They'll be able to tell you about potential health issues involved in quick weight loss.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I go down in weight like crazy on ritalin.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Jared592 posted:

I get this in general. It's almost always fixed by eating something semi-substantial (at a minimum). At least for me, zoning out after a long day or physical activity is my body's way of saying "EAT SOMETHING DUMBASS". Despite this, I still only get the message some of the time and then wonder wtf I'm doing after an extended period of being "hunger-dumb".

This has bitten me in the rear end pretty hard during projects that take more than an hour or so, because I'll just want to keep plowing ahead even though I've already worked through lunchtime after not having any breakfast. Then I'll hit an obstacle and make a bad decision or injure myself because my brain and body are running on fumes.

1,000% true for me. Biggest hurdle of dealing with my ADHD. Forget to eat, keep working on work, but actually get nothing done because I can't think when I need to eat.

I just force myself to eat, like sometimes its literally gag-inducing but I do it anyway because I know an hour later I'll be able to work effectively again. Smoke weed at night to help hunger return if you're in a position to do so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I just force myself to eat, like sometimes its literally gag-inducing but I do it anyway because I know an hour later I'll be able to work effectively again. Smoke weed at night to help hunger return if you're in a position to do so.
Wish I could do that. I haven't known anyone who sells in ages and I don't have the living space to grow my own anymore. Probably not a good idea anyway, though, no idea how that would interact with my other meds.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

That's within healthy weight loss range. When I started adderall I was up at nearly 300lbs, finally got down to just shy of 200lbs now. I'm a habitual snacker and emotional eater with a very sedentary desk job so I'm currently trying to switch to almost vegetarian to fix that. As long as you're not displaying eating disorder traits you'll be fine.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Wish I could do that. I haven't known anyone who sells in ages and I don't have the living space to grow my own anymore. Probably not a good idea anyway, though, no idea how that would interact with my other meds.

I gotta say Ritalin was worse than amphs as far as me not eating. Also don't start drinking to put the pounds on! That will interact WAAAAAAAY more negatively with your meds than weed would (still don't want to smoke weed while you are on your meds as it's counterproductive but at the end of the day it's a good way to ease into eating/sleeping.)

Sucks you can't find it, hopefully in the future it will be easier to get legally.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've lost 20 lbs since August. Unfortunately, my new SSRI makes me super goddamn hungry all the time, but thanks to adderall, the thought and act of eating still repulses me. The two kind of cancel each other out, so my weight loss has stalled and I have to properly diet and exercise like a regular person again. It was nice while it lasted

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've gained weight since switching from Strattera to Adderall. Kind of sad, really.

Adderall has no effect on my appetite at my therapeutic dose.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've gained weight since I started going on lots of meds but I think it's because I sit the gently caress around doing nothing

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Basically I had to add cooking rice and something high in protein like beans or fish as part of my routine, like washing up in the morning. If you're medicated you should be able to establish or add to daily routines if you let the meds help you remember to follow them.

Also haha at the dude getting stuck reading stupid news and posts, same for me. Hey at least I have a disgusting amount of knowledge on things. I prefer sites with comment sections as they are minute long windows into hosed up American psyche. Now that I have a smart phone I can get most of that out of my system on work breaks though and try to dedicate free time to real hobbies, not always successfully though.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 19, 2014

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I started teaching myself yoyo tricks and when you are like 25 minutes into a yoyo session your mind just goes completely blank and it owns so loving much

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Slaapaav posted:

I started teaching myself yoyo tricks and when you are like 25 minutes into a yoyo session your mind just goes completely blank and it owns so loving much

what's a good yoyo? this sounds fun.

also, is it normal for instant release adderall to feel more effective than XR? My doctor gave me an instant release prescription for me to take in the evening on some of my longer days. It's 5 mg and I'm on 10mg adderall xr. My XR is kinda inconsistent in that it works great some days and some days it doesn't work so great. When I take the IR(2 or 3 times a week, probably) it just seems to do a lot more for my focus.

Would it be worth trying to switch to IR twice a day instead of XR? Or do doctors generally not do that because of abuse concerns?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
http://www.amazon.com/Duncan-Freehand-Zero-Yo-Yo-Colors/dp/B00076PAZC

you can probably pick this up at toystores or wherever. It is great for a complete beginner but also works well for a more advanced player. Its pretty cheap but it can require some maintanance if you use it a lot but its also so cheap that if you cant be bothered you can just buy a new one.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also you can get 100 high quality yoyo strings for like 5 bucks if you dont buy it on amazon

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

slogsdon posted:

also, is it normal for instant release adderall to feel more effective than XR? My doctor gave me an instant release prescription for me to take in the evening on some of my longer days. It's 5 mg and I'm on 10mg adderall xr. My XR is kinda inconsistent in that it works great some days and some days it doesn't work so great. When I take the IR(2 or 3 times a week, probably) it just seems to do a lot more for my focus.

Would it be worth trying to switch to IR twice a day instead of XR? Or do doctors generally not do that because of abuse concerns?

XR sucks for the reasons you mention, IR is much better. Just ask your doc and explain your reasoning.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

slogsdon posted:

Also be sure you are taking the XR at least 30 minutes before you eat and try not to have any acidic foods, especially in the morning.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Wait, really? My psychiatrist told me I make sure I eat around the time I take the meds (I'm on extended release Concerta), but that was less about side effects and more about making sure I actually eat. Does it make that much of a difference?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
It seems to be mostly people who have no idea how the body works who suggest this, as well as people first starting adderal as they've scoured the Internet with an amphetamine fueled vigor for tips on making their meds more potent.

I mean do you really think orange juice will change your stomachs pH? Do the meds magically not get absorbed because food particles are somehow blocking their uptake like some sort of anti adderal cholesterol? It's like shire mentioned the acidic thing to cover their own rear end and then a bunch of high school freshmen who thought they were drugz chemists ran with it. Now every shady ADD forum is slathered with these same 'tips' without any sort of evidence to back it up.

If it somehow hit stronger then it's effects should then be shorter. Have you really gained anything at that point?

So yea just remember to take your meds. No need to revolve your grocery routine around it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If you take your amphetamines with seltzer water (or any other agent that makes your stomach pH more basic, like baking soda) it will increase their absorption into your body and thus effect, that much seems pretty clear to me after much experimentation.

With respect to food, you're just adjusting how quickly it hits your blood, if you have food in your stomach when you take a dose it will absorb more slowly just like any medication would.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 20, 2014

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

If you take your amphetamines with seltzer water (or any other agent that makes your stomach pH more basic, like baking soda) it will increase their absorption into your body and thus effect

With respect to food, you're just adjusting how quickly it hits your blood, if you have food in your stomach when you take a dose it will absorb more slowly just like any medication would.

If this 'is' true its not that your stomach pH is being lowered and thus being a better environment for your meds to be absorbed. Instead, putting a bunch of basic stuff in your stomach means your stomach has to create more acid (maintaining its pH), of which 2 byproducts (NaHCO3 or KHCO3) lower the pH of your blood. I will say that I have no idea how different blood pHs affect adderall; It should just be repeated that you don't need to worry about your stomach pH unless you have like acid reflux or some other stomach problem.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Actually, we were talking about Adderall XR, not Concerta. Food timing doesn't seem to have an effect on Concerta.

Here, have a study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12240794

If you don't want to parse it out, it says that eating breakfast, specifically a high-fat breakfast, lowers the concentration of amphetamines in the blood over the first 8 hours after taking the Adderall XR - which is generally when the patient is at school or work and needs it most! I don't have access to the full article, so I don't know what the definition of a high-fat breakfast was, but this would certainly seem to indicate that taking Adderall XR on an empty stomach is a good idea.

Also, from the FDA info sheet on Adderall:

7.1 Agents that Increase Blood Levels of Amphetamines
MAO Inhibitors
[snip]
Alkalinizing Agents
Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (e.g., sodium bicarbonate) increase absorption of amphetamines. Co-administration of ADDERALL XR and gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents, such as antacids, should be avoided. Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase the concentration of the non-ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby decreasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents increase blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.
7.2 Agents that Lower Blood Levels of Amphetamines
Acidifying Agents
Gastrointestinal acidifying agents (e.g., guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCl, ascorbic acid) lower absorption of amphetamines. Urinary acidifying agents (e.g., ammonium chloride, sodium acid phosphate, methenamine salts) increase the concentration of the ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines.
[snip]
7.7 Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI)
PPIs act on proton pumps by blocking acid production, thereby reducing gastric acidity. When ADDERALL XR (20 mg single-dose) was administered concomitantly with the proton pump inhibitor, omeprazole (40 mg once daily for 14 days), the median Tmax of d-amphetamine was decreased by 1.25 hours (from 4 to 2.75 hours), and the median Tmax of l-amphetamine was decreased by 2.5 hours (from 5.5 to 3 hours), compared to ADDERALL XR administered alone. The AUC and Cmax of each moiety were unaffected. Therefore, co-administration of ADDERALL XR and proton pump inhibitors should be monitored for changes in clinical effect.

So the PH of your gastric juices and urine affect the absorption and elimination rates of amphetamines. Of note is the mention of ascorbic acid, which is present in citrus fruits.

Science, bitches.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I don't see anything mentioned about acidic stuffs and pH in that, but the drug labeling for Adderall XR notes that while food does not affect the extent of absorption, it does prolong the time to maximum concentration by 2.5 hours after eating a high-fat meal (from 5.2 to 7.7 hours). And 'that' is believed to be because the food (and hence the XR beads) is held up in your stomach longer. The time-release beads (for Microtrol) need to hit the lower pH of the intestine to start their count-down, but you aren't going to get your stomach pH to anywhere near that level.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm 3 weeks into night classes and all I can say is holy gently caress, no wonder I always HATED school. I'm on 20mg of adderall and I can barely focus on what my teacher says after the second hour of class. I don't know how I ever even sat through classes before I got treated.

Well, I guess I never really did sit through classes before, and why I almost failed out of high school and then college.....

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Also haha at the dude getting stuck reading stupid news and posts, same for me. Hey at least I have a disgusting amount of knowledge on things. I prefer sites with comment sections as they are minute long windows into hosed up American psyche. Now that I have a smart phone I can get most of that out of my system on work breaks though and try to dedicate free time to real hobbies, not always successfully though.

I thought I was the only one who read comment sections for entertainment, it really is a form of severe masochism. I wouldn't make an enemy read that poo poo, but I just can't resist.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but did you read the second part of what I posted? It's an excerpt from the current FDA Medication Guide for Adderall XR.
Link: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085819.pdf

Keska posted:

7.1 Agents that Increase Blood Levels of Amphetamines
Alkalinizing Agents
Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (e.g., sodium bicarbonate) increase absorption of amphetamines. Co-administration of ADDERALL XR and gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents, such as antacids, should be avoided. Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase the concentration of the non-ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby decreasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents increase blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.

This says that if you are ingesting substances that lower the acidity of your digestive system (for example baking soda, as wilfredmerriweathr suggested) your bloodstream will absorb more of the drug, and if you are ingesting substances that lower the acidity of your urine, less of it will pass out of your blood into your urine.

Keska posted:

7.2 Agents that Lower Blood Levels of Amphetamines
Acidifying Agents
Gastrointestinal acidifying agents (e.g., guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCl, ascorbic acid) lower absorption of amphetamines. Urinary acidifying agents (e.g., ammonium chloride, sodium acid phosphate, methenamine salts) increase the concentration of the ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines.

And this says that if you are ingesting substances that raise the acidity of your digestive system (for example cirtus juices, whcih contain ascorbic acid) your bloodstream will absorb less of the drug, and if you are ingesting substances that raise the acidity of your urine, more of it will pass out of your blood into your urine.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE USE THESE EFFECTS TO "BOOST" THEIR MEDICATION! All of us in this thread are taking stimulants so that we can function like regular human beings, not to get high. If your dosage isn't working for you, talk to your doctor. Slogsdon was talking about how he felt the effects of his medication were inconsistent and I was just trying to bring up some factors that might be involved. One other anecdotal point that I have personally noticed is that when I don't get enough sleep, I don't get any real benefit from my Adderall (30mg XR) other than to mitigate some of the tiredness.

uG posted:

the drug labeling for Adderall XR notes that while food does not affect the extent of absorption, it does prolong the time to maximum concentration by 2.5 hours after eating a high-fat meal (from 5.2 to 7.7 hours). And 'that' is believed to be because the food (and hence the XR beads) is held up in your stomach longer. The time-release beads (for Microtrol) need to hit the lower pH of the intestine to start their count-down

This is very true. It's definitely a negative when you need your medication to be at its highest effectiveness earlier in the day, tho.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I have another weird ADHD 101 question. I'm a cyclist and I'm starting my winter training, and I'm doing a FTP test tomorrow morning. It's basically a 20-minute balls-out time trial, and my heart rate will likely be pretty close to max for 15+ minutes of that time. Is it at all dangerous to take my Vyvanse immediately (half an hour) beforehand? Just worried about the combination of two things that stress the heart. I can't really get up earlier and take it because I work evenings (and need to be well-rested beforehand), but if I take it afterwards instead I might be up until rear end o'clock in the morning that night.

By the way, I emailed my doctor to ask about this on Friday morning, but she hasn't gotten back to me.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Your mileage may of course vary but I take immediate release amphetamines and I often go balls to the wall on singletrack immediately after taking them. If you are in good shape and take it regularly it should be fine, of course you are sorta doping at that point although with vyvanse it isn't immediate release so it will probably be less noticeable than mine is. Not really doping in my mind if you actually need the medication and take it regularly, just a nice side effect!

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
Going to give a (not)quick summary of my experience, but this thread has been so enlightening for me. I was tentatively diagnosed a month ago by my GP after seeking out a possible diagnosis. About a year and a half ago my workload was cut drastically, and all of a sudden I began having performance problems at work. I have never had performance issues at work before, but I have always operated in high-stress and high-variability work environments. When my previously huge territory to manage shrunk to 30% its previous size, and my taskload went from 50 to 5, I couldn't for the life of me manage to finish those 5 tasks on time and without a ton of stupid errors. I was constantly forgetting to turn things in. Coupled with some weird mood and behavioral stuff, things hit a peak when I tried to complete a fairly simple document for work. By the end I realized I had opened 8-10 other documents, each step of the process reminding me of something else I needed to do, until I was so overwhelmed by all the stuff I had started for myself I just had to close it all down and start over. I had no idea how my brain had gotten so out of control. A friend who has ADHD suggested I look into it as a possibility, which I originally balked at because "I'm not hyperactive" and my impressions about what ADHD is were fairly riddled with stereotypes. When I began reading the symptoms and took a couple online quizzes, it was so real to me that I almost started crying because I was so grateful to have an answer and something that finally clicked and described perfectly what I was experiencing. I took them all discovering new and unexpected things that I was absolutely guilty of doing but would never have guessed had anything to do with ADHD. I knew something had been off for quite a while, but I always chalked it up to just a personality thing or how I was, I never thought that the things I struggled with weren't things other people struggled with too. Memory issues, constantly misplacing things, irritability, insomnia, procrastination, never doing homework; all of it except the hyperactivity fit me completely.

After two months of calling around ("No we're not taking new patients", "we are taking new patients but only cash-pay", "we are taking patients but not your insurance", "I know we made an appointment thinking we took your insurance but it turns out your insurance for mental health actually isn't what we take after all") I was able to finally see a psych, who came recommended by a friend, and even though I have to pay cash to see him it's entirely worth it for the quality. He turned out to be a wonderful man that listened to me for an hour, was very open and understanding about my struggles even if they weren't obvious to everyone else, and ended up giving me another long quiz to take. As he scored it, he asked me "Do you forget things a lot? Like, misplace things?" I pulled out my Nalgene water bottle and said "I have 8 of these. It increases my chances of being able to walk into a room and find one when I invariably forget where I put mine down or leave it at someone's house or a store". He said "why didn't you tell me that at the beginning, I would have told you 'yes, congratulations, you have ADD!' and we could have saved a whole hour!" :)
I was open about my use of weed to self-medicate, he just asked me what the effects were for me and if it was working. Seemed surprised that I had never tried a friend's meds or cocaine.

He put me on Adderall 10mg, and gave me some guidelines for manipulating the dosage until I find what works. The first day on the med changed my life. It was like someone turned down all the static around me and I was calm, relaxed, and the anxiety just disappeared. I realize now how much anxiety I used to have only because it's totally gone now. I don't feel any desire to smoke weed basically at all, because I am not a stressed out anxious wreck at the end of the day anymore. I'm on week 3 of the meds and I am so worried it'll stop working this well in the future, because this has been such an eye opening experience. I just feel...better. Normal. Like finally I can direct my brain to focus on completing just one task from beginning to end without being reminded of the 30 other tasks I should begin RIGHT NOW so I don't forget them. My appetite is suppressed, but I find that I was doing a lot of boredom eating, and I also find that I am able to set a diet for myself and actually stick to it for more than 2 days. And if I don't stick to it for one meal, I don't count that as a huge monumental failure and as evidence that I can never stick to a plan and beat myself up over not being able to just DO something I set my mind to.

Reading all the stories in here makes me so happy that I was able to get a recommendation from a friend and see someone who wasn't interested in making me jump through hoops to prove I was having a problem, given the fact that I didn't have issues in school with grades or behavior, was able to finish two college degrees and by all accounts am pretty successful. He said that people with ADD (he still calls it that) find their niche, and they master it, but once you change the environment on them their coping mechanisms stop working and they figure out all these weaknesses. He also said I probably flew under the radar because I'm female and people have a harder time recognizing the symptoms, and that because I am smart I was able to procrastinate and ultimately pull out the work at the last second on smarts alone.

Thanks to everyone in here for their stories, even though not all of them are identical it's been really important to read other people's struggles if only so I can tell my husband "hey, remember how I do X? I think that's because of ..."
Also, my husband is a saint. I have no idea how he's put up with all this over the years with the patience he has, but even my psychiatrist was surprised.

For anyone worried about trying meds, just try the meds. They wear off if you don't like them, and you might find out they allow you to finally feel like yourself for the first time.

Soo long... TLDR; what's up ADHD goons, adderall is great, I feel normal now!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
drat, it's been getting harder and harder to get my script for dexedrine spansules filled, I'm thinking I might have to change. Is adderal XR a good substitute? I haven't been on that for a while now, maybe ten years. I like XR stuff, but vyvanse lasted way too long for me and concerta just never worked. Any other suggestions?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Question - I typically take 2 10mg IR Adderall per day. Lately I have felt like it's not really helping much more than my baseline. If I just take all 20mg IR at once, it's almost too much.

1. How long a drug holiday do you think it would take to make 10mg an effective therapeutic dose given that I'm a woman of average height and build?

2. Does taking 20mg at one time once per day increase my tolerance faster than taking 20mg spread over two doses in one day?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
1) Just try taking the weekend off (so two days) to start.

2) Yes, it does.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

1) Just try taking the weekend off (so two days) to start.

2) Yes, it does.

I already take weekends off.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've never needed more than two days off (sometimes I do three in a week but never in a row.) I would suggest playing with your dose, you probably need a bit more. Try 12.5 or 15mg as a dose instead of 10 (just break up another pill and take a quarter or half extra), sometimes you gotta play around. On dexedrine my correct dose was 7.5, and I'm a 190lb man, but body weight doesn't play into it as much as you'd think because it's a psychiatric mediation and everyone's brain chemistry is different.

My girlfriend who weighs 105 takes 12.5mg 2x a day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anybody got any experience with tolerance levels when on Ritalin? I've been taking Ritalin XR for about a month now every day, 20mg twice daily, or 40mg once daily if I wake up late. I don't want to increase the dose too much or build up a tolerance, but I want to stop taking it even less. It's like I'm actually awake and myself for the first time in years. I just can't bear the thought of going back, even if only over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wish I could take days off of my meds without it impacting me. gently caress schoooooooooool

Last semester and then I can start being tired every 5 days.