Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I secretly hope that literally the only reason for the mask is to disguise the fact that they had to bring in a ringer from the Guards' cadets because the Army dudes suck so bad. You know, wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Red Bones posted:

I wish the G-Self looked a bit weirder.

Ask and you shall receive.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BlitzBlast posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

drat skeleton gundam would've been great

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
This anime is blend of Turn-A and King Gainer, and I am absolutely loving it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh they added art for the recsnow.

It's the cutest.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My Gundam Wears Wellingtons.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 18, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sharkopath posted:

It's the cutest.

This thing owns. It looks like it fell out of a portal from Patlabor or something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It's the cutest.
This thing is the best. Apparently it uses ~forbidden technology~ but it still only ever managed to run into some bamboo.

I thought I was going to love the starting enemy grunt suits most, in the Zaku tradition, and indeed the Grimoires are pretty awesome... but the goddamn Recsnow is the most adorable thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I like how its kinda evident in the design that the armour and such have been added on, rather than an integrated part of the design. Its minor, but fitting, given the Capital is going all Polandball with regards to warfare.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I love the Recten/Recsnow entirely because of its big goofy TV head. It's miles more interesting than standard feddie-esque GM styling the Catsith has going on. It's not gonna get an MG, but I wish it did just to see how the angry grill face would work on a kit.

At the very least, I hope whatever MGs come out of G-Reco come with moving toilet seat functionality.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tomino is so self aware with those next episode previews. Yeah, I do want to watch now, you got me good there. Between his intensity last episode and his display of grief this one, I'm really liking Dellensen now. The characters seem to be shaping up pretty nicely, even Raraiya. Also that was a pretty solid minute of action.

Faith in Tomino restored.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GimmickMan posted:

Tomino is so self aware with those next episode previews. Yeah, I do want to watch now, you got me good there. Between his intensity last episode and his display of grief this one, I'm really liking Dellensen now. The characters seem to be shaping up pretty nicely, even Raraiya. Also that was a pretty solid minute of action.

Faith in Tomino restored.

Klim Nick is an immensely entertaining character but I think Dellensen is my favorite. He's so normal and competent that he actually stands out in this show's array of laid-back weirdos which makes him really amusing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One big difference between gainer/turn a that took me by surprise is that the world setup is way more conventional gundam than I was expecting. Turn A and gainer were cold wars, so to speak, with the main goal in both being avoidance of wide scale conflict. In G that conflict has already started, heck, by episode 4 the death toll is already higher than the entire run of gainer.

A cool thing that is still true and that I like though is that there isn't a real set antagonist faction in the traditional sense. Compared to zeon and the titans, who were almost sympathetic at best and absolute monster Nazis at worst, the people in G and gainer and turn are, with exceptions, mostly just trying to do their jobs and live their lives, I appreciate that and prefer that sort of writing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Sharkopath posted:

One big difference between gainer/turn a that took me by surprise is that the world setup is way more conventional gundam than I was expecting. Turn A and gainer were cold wars, so to speak, with the main goal in both being avoidance of wide scale conflict. In G that conflict has already started, heck, by episode 4 the death toll is already higher than the entire run of gainer.

To be fair, that's not exactly hard. Maybe like, what, three people died in all of King Gainer?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also regarding the G-Self's little core booster. If this is going to go full-blown nanites and Black History, I'm half expecting at some point for the G-Self to get destroyed, eject the Core Booster, and then use nanites to rebuild itself around the pod.

The only way this will happen is if Tomino ignores the way the self-regeneration worked in Turn-A, given that in that show it took a few days for Turn-A to self-repair a dent to the head from a punch. It was a decent sized dent, but if it takes a few days to repair that it'd take months, if not years, to regenerate the entire suit. The translated information for the MG Turn-A and novels apparently validates that information. Not to say that he may not ignore that for the sake of drama, but I doubt it personally.

John Carstairs posted:

Tomino the Butcher strikes again. :argh:

Unrelated, the most hilarious example of this I can think of is from Kamen Rider Agito. One of the main characters, Ryu, Kamen Rider Gills dies several times through out the show and is resurrected each time, his life a constant string of tragedies, his girlfriends dying and so on. In the penultimate episode he picks up a puppy and seems to get a kind of happy ending. The writer, Inoue stated in an interview a while later that as far as he's concerned the puppy died the next day.

Sakurazuka posted:

Wispy beam sabres are the best beam sabres. They just look more deadly somehow.

It's not surprising really. If you show something with a thinner blade achieving the same effect, then it comes off as being more powerful because of it. The sound effects help too. That crackling sound from Turn-A is fantastic.

Midjack posted:

Looking forward to Raraya's full recovery from her decompression retard syndrome, though at least she's not a literal screaming baby like Karlman.

I like the idea that she's a Moonrace spy. She looks enough like Loran, and Earthrace people used plenty of captured/discovered Moonrace suits in Turn A, after all.

Loran isn't really particularly representative of the Moonrace though. Dianna, Harry, Teteth Haley, Gym Ghinginham, Merrybell, Agrippa, Loran's friends from the canals on the Moon (as far as I can recall) and other people like Agrippa's assassin dude who Harry killed with a swipe of the SUMO's hand and so on all look very different from Loran. Loran looks pretty unique even for the Moonrace.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Loran isn't really particularly representative of the Moonrace though.

Sure, but he's probably the most recognizable Moonrace spy, so if they're trying to make her a callback it works. I didn't expect the Moonrace to all look like Loran and I don't expect all of Rayra's pals to look like her, either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How many episodes is this in so far?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Four, they're all just 20 minutes of girls crying though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love crying girls, I'm in.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A grown man starts crying too, but that's only at the end of 4.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I hope that by the end of this, one goon makes the effort to condense all the crying into a single video.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

I hope that by the end of this, one goon makes the effort to condense all the crying into a single video.

Only if you loop this over it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-posting from the Build Fighters thread:

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Ramba Ral is too good for that other show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Only if you loop this over it.

One of my favorite things about that video is that it cuts out before you learn why he's crying. Excellent unintentional commentary about the crying in SEED.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Have they explained what a kuntala is yet? Some things in this show still confuse me and I'm not sure if it's been explained yet or I just missed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Have they explained what a kuntala is yet? Some things in this show still confuse me and I'm not sure if it's been explained yet or I just missed it.

It is part of someone of a lower social class but that is all that has been explained in-show.

Out-of-show material says they are descended from people who were involved in the cannibalism that occurred during resource scarcity in the fall of the UC, IIRC.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sharkopath posted:

this is just 4 u:

Who needs a mobile suit when you've got Mecha-Shiva?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

While we're doing Turn-A relatives, this Becker guy's burnt-out ex-raver face and use of violence as a greeting lead me to believe he's actually Corin's grandad.

Mostly I just wanted to share the last GIF.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

jackhunter64 posted:

While we're doing Turn-A relatives, this Becker guy's burnt-out ex-raver face and use of violence as a greeting lead me to believe he's actually Corin's grandad.

hahaha dellensen's smile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lessail posted:

hahaha dellensen's smile

Oh man, that's a great little detail.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There's only a half dozen frames in there, but it's all the little dynamic details that makes the show sparkle for me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

There's only a half dozen frames in there, but it's all the little dynamic details that makes the show sparkle for me.

It really goes a long way and I think that's why I enjoy the animation in G-Reco more than Build Fighters. Even though G-Reco's is jankier, its character animation just has so much more personality than the character animation in Build Fighters. Not to say that BF's character animation is bad but G-Reco just goes the extra mile with it.

All of those little details really add up, after all.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I generally enjoy Tomino shows during a rewatch way more, because I can pay attention to all these little details, and because I already know what is going on, I don't have to worry about figuring out why anyone does anything or where the plot might be going.

Dellensen is a cool guy.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
The Montero abuse needs to stop immediately, leave that magnificent machine alone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

It really goes a long way and I think that's why I enjoy the animation in G-Reco more than Build Fighters. Even though G-Reco's is jankier, its character animation just has so much more personality than the character animation in Build Fighters. Not to say that BF's character animation is bad but G-Reco just goes the extra mile with it.

All of those little details really add up, after all.

The direction in Build Fighters is way more functional, for lack of a good word. The cast is a lot smaller and scenes shot in a much closer camera, so there's not as much room for background reaction hijinx. Usually only one or two people will ever show up in frame. The characters themselves are usually mega centered too, composition wise. Part of the reason I wasn't too big on the fight in the last episode is that they shot the fight scene that way too, The action is almost always level and dead center and that really limits what you can do in terms of cool compositions.

Also it relies a lot on like obvious cartooning shorthand for peoples reactions, for comedy reasons. Reco is a bit more grounded and in return you get more naturalistic reactions/animation from people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The real cool fight in episode 4 of reco, for instance: The composition/camera/whatever you want to call it is farther back for more of the shots that arent closeups of the robots, they fill the frame with a lot of background detail and action that lends an air of chaos to what is a hostage standoff that became a skirmish and a bloodbath very very quickly, against everybody's wishes. Even when its transitioning from a close up shot, like when one of the grimoires blows the head off a caitsith, the gundam moves in from the background and takes the focus, it's more naturalistic than a simple cut and helps remind the viewer that all the action is taking place simultaneously over the area, it's not a scene of separate vignettes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first episode felt pretty weird with the information they're dropping on you that you have no reference for, but I enjoyed it for the most part. The look and scope of everything is pretty cool, the animation that's there is nice, and Bell seems like a cool dude.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just watched the fourth episode last night. I was putting it off because I was dreading it and expecting it to be bad, but it was actually a huge improvement and I'm really, really happy at how much better it is, and it makes the last three a lot better now that they don't exist in a vacuum. Glad to say I'm satisfied G-Reco will be a good show now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished episode 2, still alright. The animation on some stuff like Bell hitting the wall and the fight between Bell and Cahill (If you can call it that) was pretty nice looking too. I have no idea what the gently caress is up with Raraiya, but she is slowly getting on my nerves.

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

WickedHate posted:

No, but you can't excuse that stuff with saying "well there's reasons in the story for this". That's the comparison I was making.

Kill la Kill is awesome, though, and actually pretty feminist. :confused:

Not a guy.

Oh man, I am so happy the KLK thread is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Beef Waifu posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is up with Raraiya, but she is slowly getting on my nerves.

She's got some oxygen deprivation-related brain problems. For what it's worth, I thought she was better in episode four, but that may have simply been due to a healthy dose of The Best Character.

Also, a fish.

• Locked thread