Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

feedmyleg posted:

100% agreed.

Just the sight of that made me irrationally angry for a moment. I guess some things are sacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheJoker138 posted:

I really, really wanted to like the Hobbit movies. I actually do enjoy the first. But the 2nd one was so loving soulless. It was drab, nearly joyless, and just so god drat boring for most of it. It was like someone who hated the Lord of the Rings movies trying to make a Lord of the Rings movie, and only capturing the things that they disliked about them, amplified by an order of magnitude. The Hobbit movies make me sad that they exist.
The Hobbit movies are terrible because I have to watch/listen to them anytime I have to go with the roadtrip to Omaha from Pittsburgh because my sister obsesses over those dumb movies; No one ever wants to listen to MST3K or my Faith No More albums :smith:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The t-rex needs to be simplified. No Web 2.0 logo is that intricate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

MST3K or my Faith No More albums

I like you.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

feedmyleg posted:

:thejoke:

I figured the tone-deaf use of an older style would imply a feeling of disunity and tension. But mostly because he said web 2.0 and web 2.0 is mid 00s.

And here I thought web 2.0 was simply a term for the era of the Internet that started with the advent of sites like YouTube and Facebook.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Bishop posted:

And here I thought web 2.0 was simply a term for the era of the Internet that started with the advent of sites like YouTube and Facebook.

In graphic design terms it refers to a very specific style. Flat design is post-2.0.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently there's going to be a movie about the whaleship Essex that got sunk by an angry sperm whale in 1820. Could be good, and Ron Howard's got some good movies on his CV.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Nm

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 14, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

100% agreed.

loving Christ, that looks like the poster for the original had sex with the poster for The Internship.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Amazing(ly bad).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

100% agreed.

:golfclap:

Perfect.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

So I bought a thing.

Fitting for October I guess.

Nice Dirty Dozen poster too!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That Dirty Dozen poster has one of my favorite taglines of all time.

Train them! Excite them! Arm them!
Then turn them loose on the Nazis!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Shameless opportunity to repost '80s Jurassic Park from a while back.

Lizard Combatant posted:

NOT '80s ENOUGH!

I will be selling 27x40 prints of this if you'd like to pledge to my kickstarter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently there's going to be a movie about the whaleship Essex that got sunk by an angry sperm whale in 1820. Could be good, and Ron Howard's got some good movies on his CV.

Dang, that's pretty awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That poster should be amazing but the scale is so exaggerated that I just can't take it seriously.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Yeah it reminds me of that scene in Godzilla where we swims under that aircraft carrier and just dwarfs it. Although if they go full balls to the wall insane with it and that's it's actual size, I am down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MikeJF posted:

That poster should be amazing but the scale is so exaggerated that I just can't take it seriously.

I don't think a more literal poster would work as well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Although if they go full balls to the wall insane with it and that's it's actual size, I am down.

This is pretty much the only way I'd be interested in the movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For reference, the Essex was 27 metres long, so the whale in that poster would be... about a kilometre, at a rough guess, maybe slightly less.

I'm definitely seeing that movie.

(Sperm whales cap out at about 20 metres, so including movie making and artistic licence, I'm guessing the whale'll probably end up about the same size as the Essex in the film, maybe a bit bigger)

(I just noticed that they only have three of their four whaling boats in that poster, which is a neat little attention to detail, given that the ship lost its fourth to a grumpy whale a few days before the ship was smashed)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 17, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Judging from the trailer the whale is nowhere near the size it is in the poster but somehow the exaggeration works for me. That's a cool poster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I would be okay with it except that when you're presenting a "true story" I'd rather it be, you know... true.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dick Trauma posted:

I would be okay with it except that when you're presenting a "true story" I'd rather it be, you know... true.

It's just a poster. It's supposed to be evocative. I really doubt the whale in the movie will be half a mile long.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Make the whale a mile long, but also make the ship a spaceship and the whale a space sea serpent. Name the spaceship Moby and the space serpent Solarius. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's just a poster. It's supposed to be evocative. I really doubt the whale in the movie will be half a mile long.

And it's a neat poster. But I think it's wrong for this sort of movie. It would be like a poster for Apollo 13 showing the astronauts getting blown out of a hole into space because it's more dramatic.

Speaking of which... space is a very dangerous place.

The 3D eye spooge reminds me of this:

And it's not a movie but goddamn look at that alien.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Dick Trauma posted:

And it's not a movie but goddamn look at that alien.

That literally looks like a slightly dramaticized drawing of a creature made in Spore.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Do you honestly think a movie about the sinking of the Essex will actually feature a mutant whale? It's the poo poo that happens after the sinking that would make a compelling story, and I'd wager the film will focus on that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

One of the better Mondo posters I've seen recently. The title's maybe a little too small, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Erebus posted:

One of the better Mondo posters I've seen recently. The title's maybe a little too small, though.

I kinda knew what it was just by looking at it but I had to get up close to my monitor to read the title to make sure I was right. That is indeed way too small.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The tiny text undercuts the idea of the poster, showing a tiny little Bruce Wayne going towards a giant bat shaped future. Wayne should be the smallest thing on the poster. But when you see Wayne you see the text and it pulls your focus.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's a poster. It won't be too small in real life.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

maybe its a poster for ants???

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Do you honestly think a movie about the sinking of the Essex will actually feature a mutant whale? It's the poo poo that happens after the sinking that would make a compelling story, and I'd wager the film will focus on that.

Dick Trauma posted:

And it's a neat poster. But I think it's wrong for this sort of movie. It would be like a poster for Apollo 13 showing the astronauts getting blown out of a hole into space because it's more dramatic.

I've been talking about the poster. I don't have particularly strong feelings about it either way, it just seems like it belongs to a different sort of movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

This is... a drat effective poster.

Catchy title, evocative imagery, a surprise hit of 'Tim Burton might be stepping out of his comfort zone again?', two actors I'm interested in seeing and a tagline that immediately lays out the basic plot.

I didn't know about this movie until now. I want to see this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is... a drat effective poster.

Catchy title, evocative imagery, a surprise hit of 'Tim Burton might be stepping out of his comfort zone again?', two actors I'm interested in seeing and a tagline that immediately lays out the basic plot.

I didn't know about this movie until now. I want to see this.

Go watch the trailer, it looks great!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is the first Burton movie I've looked forward to in a long, long time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Erebus posted:

:aaa: At the Mountains of Madness???

*squints really hard at text*

:negative:

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

62: What happens in Beverly Hills when there are no cops around

Mua Ha Ha Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3GiMoAkYA