Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I sure do tend to long tap on the "..." button for some reason. Is there a reason that selects the row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

I sure do tend to long tap on the "..." button for some reason. Is there a reason that selects the row?

It's just an ellipsis with styling on it, but we could probably slap some user-select: none on there. Not sure what semantics that would give for the long-tap, but I hope the same as short-tap.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the new version of the app submitted to Apple yet? I'm running the latest version on an iPad 3, and the non-hiding sidebar in landscape is killing me.

Also, I notice that now no matter what page of a thread you're on, when you open up the page selector window, it starts at page 1. It used to start at whatever page you were on. Can this be fixed in the next update?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Still wishing I could activate the slide-out menu without having to swipe from the very edge of the left side of the screen :( The way it works is great on the iPad, but it doesn't work the same way on the iPhone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Please. I miss being able to see the url of a link I'm selecting.

Me too. I'll figure something out.

Kaizoku posted:

This caused a full crash of the springboard, running current beta on a 6+, but doesn't seem to be occurring on subsequent attempts. This is the source post, here's a screenshot.

This is outstanding. I saw the crash log come in, I'll check it out.

lifg posted:

When I open an image, it aligns to the top of the screen, instead of in the middle like it used to. But when I pinch or pull to zoom, the image becomes vertically aligned in the middle of the screen.

Small issue. I just liked it when the image was always vertically aligned in the middle.

Me too. It's meant to start in the middle, and while I haven't fixed it yet it's on the list.

Subjunctive posted:

It's just an ellipsis with styling on it, but we could probably slap some user-select: none on there. Not sure what semantics that would give for the long-tap, but I hope the same as short-tap.

And if that doesn't work on its own, we could force it via the existing long press machinery.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the new version of the app submitted to Apple yet? I'm running the latest version on an iPad 3, and the non-hiding sidebar in landscape is killing me.

Also, I notice that now no matter what page of a thread you're on, when you open up the page selector window, it starts at page 1. It used to start at whatever page you were on. Can this be fixed in the next update?

Not submitted yet, gotta finish a mostly-finished new feature. The selectotron is already fixed in the next version.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

If a spoilered picture is quoted when you tap the quoted spoiler it automatically opens the picture viewer. For example:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615661&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post436215884

e: seems to be intermittent.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Scrolling through threads on iPhone 6 is really choppy. I can't really be more detailed that that sorry :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Still wishing I could activate the slide-out menu without having to swipe from the very edge of the left side of the screen :( The way it works is great on the iPad, but it doesn't work the same way on the iPhone.

There is no more slide-out menu on the iPhone though? Are you using Awful 3.0?

Baram posted:

If a spoilered picture is quoted when you tap the quoted spoiler it automatically opens the picture viewer. For example:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615661&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post436215884

e: seems to be intermittent.

Ugh. Good to know though.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Scrolling through threads on iPhone 6 is really choppy. I can't really be more detailed that that sorry :v:

I don't have the hardware to test on so there's even less of a chance than usual that I'll be able to figure out what's up. But it's still good to hear about it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've noticed the choppiness on some of apple's own apps (music) so may not be awful' fault. Could be an iOS 8 bug.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah the choppiness is all over the place, it's gotta be some kind of caching thing or something because if you hold your finger down and scroll up or down quickly it's nice and smooth. It's just that first few pixels of scrolling that lags.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yeah the choppiness is all over the place, it's gotta be some kind of caching thing or something because if you hold your finger down and scroll up or down quickly it's nice and smooth. It's just that first few pixels of scrolling that lags.

That's almost certainly my fuckup.

I hate that code.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, I mean it's all over iOS. I see it in Settings, for example.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

No, I mean it's all over iOS. I see it in Settings, for example.

Oh ok.

I still hate that code, and I know it's responsible for some scrolling fuckery.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sometimes when I go to pull a thread up to refresh it it hangs, and I have to swipe the opposite way and then up. I don't know if this is the app or just some other weirdness, though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

serebralassazin posted:

I've noticed the choppiness on some of apple's own apps (music) so may not be awful' fault. Could be an iOS 8 bug.

xzzy posted:

I actually had my 6 replaced because of this and the new one had it too, upon more experimentation it turned out it has something to do with it being plugged in to certain outlets v:)v

When it's unplugged or plugged in elsewhere it works fine.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I think he's talking about swiping from middle on screen like on iPad to goes back to thread list instead of only from the edge on the iPhone.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

If I launch a video in portrait and then rotate to landscape it stops the video. I'm on a 6+.

The smilie keyboard is sweet. :iia:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Huh, I must have been mixing up the iPhone/iPad apps or something. On the iPhone, when I'm viewing threads I use the "swipe right from the left edge of the screen" action to get back to my bookmarks list and that's the one I feel has too narrow of a trigger area. I don't generally use the forums view.

I compared it to Safari and they both work the same way, but I don't actually use the "back" function in Safari as much as I use the bookmarks list in Awful. Not a huge issue I guess, I'll stop complaining about it if nobody else agrees.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 15, 2014

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Posted in a thread, backed out and hit power button & the custom keyboard bar stuck on the bottom of the screen when I turned my phone back on.

It followed back into this thread and when I tapped a button it crashed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

Posted in a thread, backed out and hit power button & the custom keyboard bar stuck on the bottom of the screen when I turned my phone back on.

It followed back into this thread and when I tapped a button it crashed.

Every time I think I've seen it all...

Got everything up to here on my todo list, thanks y'all.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheJoker138 posted:

Sometimes when I go to pull a thread up to refresh it it hangs, and I have to swipe the opposite way and then up. I don't know if this is the app or just some other weirdness, though.

Happens on my iPad 4, also threads load much more slowly in general with iOS8 (I was a late adopter).

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Huh, I must have been mixing up the iPhone/iPad apps or something. On the iPhone, when I'm viewing threads I use the "swipe right from the left edge of the screen" action to get back to my bookmarks list and that's the one I feel has too narrow of a trigger area. I don't generally use the forums view.

I compared it to Safari and they both work the same way, but I don't actually use the "back" function in Safari as much as I use the bookmarks list in Awful. Not a huge issue I guess, I'll stop complaining about it if nobody else agrees.

Just to back you up I have the same issue and others have posted saying the same. It seemed to start when the swipe from the right functionality was added but I think pokeyman looked at the code and couldn't see anything that would cause the problem.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

StuL87 posted:

Just to back you up I have the same issue and others have posted saying the same. It seemed to start when the swipe from the right functionality was added but I think pokeyman looked at the code and couldn't see anything that would cause the problem.

Oh it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Awful's doing something weird here, it just wasn't immediately obvious to me what that might be.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Awful App is taking up 1.1 gigs on my phone and the dictionary is doing this

didn't see it mentioned on the last page or two, maybe its just me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

FishBulb posted:

Looks like Zalgo got on your phone. :rip:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Sorry about the 1.1 gigs, that's pretty much item #1 on the roadmap after I get this stupid keyboard done. In the meantime you can log out and back in to erase the cache. (Yes, I know this sucks.)

The other thing is something Awful has no control over, so I'm afraid you're on your own for that one.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

pokeyman posted:

Sorry about the 1.1 gigs, that's pretty much item #1 on the roadmap after I get this stupid keyboard done. In the meantime you can log out and back in to erase the cache. (Yes, I know this sucks.)

The other thing is something Awful has no control over, so I'm afraid you're on your own for that one.

You mean the autocorrect? Weird. I wonder what's causing that.

Logging out and back in is easier than deleting it and reinstalling so that's a bonus at least.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FishBulb posted:

You mean the autocorrect? Weird. I wonder what's causing that.

In theory apps can't do jack with the autocorrect bar. In reality I guess it's possible Awful's doing something that's confusing it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I logged out/back in to clear the cache and once I logged back in, all my settings had been reset and favorited forums in the forums view had all gone. Not that big of a deal to put them all back but is that supposed to happen?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I logged out/back in to clear the cache and once I logged back in, all my settings had been reset and favorited forums in the forums view had all gone. Not that big of a deal to put them all back but is that supposed to happen?

Yeah. My thinking was to delete everything when logging out because you wouldn't normally have any reason to log out except for someone else to log in (or for parachute accounts, but I don't really care about that), and you presumably don't want them to see all your saved whatever.

Naturally that falls apart when you need to log out to clear the cache.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ahh that makes sense. I think this was the first time I've logged out since I started using the app in March or something so good point.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just experienced a UI bug relating to posting while out of range of wifi.
I couldn't dismiss the pop up because the keyboard was in the way. Bar buttons were unresponsive. Typing caused text to appear in the field. I had to kill the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Just experienced a UI bug relating to posting while out of range of wifi.
I couldn't dismiss the pop up because the keyboard was in the way. Bar buttons were unresponsive. Typing caused text to appear in the field. I had to kill the app.

That's pretty impressive. I really need to cut down on the pointless network error messages. Once you've given up waiting and moved off the screen, there's probably not much point in showing you error messages!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Can you make the loading circle thing (I'm sure there's a term for this) brighter or easier to see somehow on the dark theme? Talking specifically about when you refresh the forum or bookmark tab, at the top. It's almost impossible to see.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I logged out and still had roughly 300 mb of docs and data left. Deleted and reinstalled it, works fine now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Can you make the loading circle thing (I'm sure there's a term for this) brighter or easier to see somehow on the dark theme? Talking specifically about when you refresh the forum or bookmark tab, at the top. It's almost impossible to see.

That was actually one of my favorite tweaks of the new build.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I logged out and still had roughly 300 mb of docs and data left. Deleted and reinstalled it, works fine now.

Oh, that's not good. I'll try to figure out what we're missing.

There is a bit of data that doesn't get erased, like newly-downloaded thread tags, but that shouldn't be anywhere near 300 MB.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

pokeyman posted:

Oh, that's not good. I'll try to figure out what we're missing.

There is a bit of data that doesn't get erased, like newly-downloaded thread tags, but that shouldn't be anywhere near 300 MB.

How do you go about troubleshooting scenarios like this since they wouldn't necessarily generate an error report?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xilni posted:

How do you go about troubleshooting scenarios like this since they wouldn't necessarily generate an error report?

I'll probably do stuff in the app on my device (or the simulator) then log out and see what's left behind. Finding even a small bit of unexpected data might point to something that could balloon into 300 MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Thanks for the app, mr Cosby. This might be a known issue, but I have trouble with the bookmark/threads/other stuff sidebar. Even if I select "hide in landscape view" (which I use) it's still locked in place. I can do a work around where I go to portrait view, then disable, then reenable hide in landscape, then manually hide it in portrait, then go back to landscape. Then it will hide/reveal until the browser is closed. I'm on an ipad2.

• Locked thread