Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OSW Review have finally jumped the shark. 6 minutes of video before they even get to the recap of the previous episode, 2 minutes of which is shilling their own merch.

9 minutes until they even get to the start of the actual show.

EDIT: Christ, 19 loving minutes to get to the first match.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

ch3cooh posted:

So the Jericho show with Justin Roberts is co-starring...THE MIZ!!!

But so far it's pretty good and Justin explaining the chewing habits of a certain Bro had me dying.

It's a pretty fun episode, I don't know why Jericho kept it on ice so long (recorded in early August).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

OSW Review have finally jumped the shark. 6 minutes of video before they even get to the recap of the previous episode, 2 minutes of which is shilling their own merch.

Eh for the amount of work that goes into one episode, I don't mind 2 minutes to sell some poo poo. Jesus if every other podcast followed suit instead of going 20 minutes before getting to the point then we'd all be better off.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm going to email him the same.

I've never heard a match commentary like this before where someone goes into the intricacies of how they planned the match out. Every other match commentary on any DVD is just like "Oh that was a cool move" or "I remember that hurt." I'm surprised to see that most of the match was called on the fly. I know that's the case most of the time but I figured the main event of WM is one thing they would want perfected and rehearsed plenty of times.

Most old school workers frown upon anything beyond a basic skeleton of a match. There is an episode of Austin's podcast where he and the guest talk about Savage/Steamboat and then say it is a shame that it was planned out entirely because that's how Savage worked. Weird mentality of you value the end result, but there is a pride in the craft of an improvised match.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Someone synced the Austin podcast with the video here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/kd6TJSizKgENhp96p2u

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i like that aepodcast saves their plugs for the end

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Next OSW review...The Happening starring Mark Wahlberg.......ugh

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

god forbid osw spends two minutes shilling merchandise in a one hour and forty five minute, edited, video podcast that they do for free. what a bunch of assholes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey his time is too important to seek ahead in the video. he has to maximize his complaint posting time

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
him leaving the beer can at rocks head

unreal subtlety.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That was really great commentary. Awesome insights into how they worked the match. It's pretty cool he's willing to do stuff like that that really explains the business in such specific terms, just the stuff about "taking the camera" was so interesting to listen to.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would Vince have went along with Austin calling an audible and giving him the Stunner after the match ended?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

EugeneJ posted:

Would Vince have went along with Austin calling an audible and giving him the Stunner after the match ended?

Since Austin said he was the one pushing to go heel and it wasn't Vince putting his foot down I'd say yes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's a shame that Heel Austin did such poor business because it produced a lot of great television.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NienNunb posted:

It's a shame that Heel Austin did such poor business because it produced a lot of great television.

Did it really do poor business?

In 2001, the ratings in April, July, and August were a hell of a lot better than the ratings in March.
http://www.2xzone.com/ratings/rawhistory.shtml#.VEGLx9x-9SU

Even if business did go down, I would put the blame more on Rock leaving, HHH getting hurt, Guerrero leaving, Stephanie becoming the head writer, and the failure of the Invasion before anything to do with Austin. Everyone I know watching at the time was enjoying heel Austin. But some of the time like from Wrestlemania to Judgment Day, Austin seemed to be the only thing worth watching on the show.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Did it really do poor business?

In 2001, the ratings in April, July, and August were a hell of a lot better than the ratings in March.
http://www.2xzone.com/ratings/rawhistory.shtml#.VEGLx9x-9SU

Even if business did go down, I would put the blame more on Rock leaving, HHH getting hurt, Guerrero leaving, Stephanie becoming the head writer, and the failure of the Invasion before anything to do with Austin. Everyone I know watching at the time was enjoying heel Austin. But some of the time like from Wrestlemania to Judgment Day, Austin seemed to be the only thing worth watching on the show.

Austin never drew as big as he did when he was a babyface, and even turning back didn't revitalize him. When a big babyface turns heel, there will almost always certainly be a boost in business for a short while. It's the aftermath that causes trouble. Austin going heel didn't create or elevate a new star to replace him. Austin aligned with McMahon and over time became less and less cool with the target audience.

The TV ratings boost in the summer of 2001 can probably be most attributed though to the Invasion angle, which did super business for a short period of time.

Austin considers it probably the most regrettable mistake of his career. He saw his merch checks, house numbers, and TV ratings. He knows what he was worth at the time, and that it declined rapidly after the heel turn.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 17, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Great White Hope posted:

My favorite part is Austin outright going "Yeah here we are loving up" like a half-dozen times.

My favourite part was when Rock was dropping the elbows on him on the apron and he was saying "yeah those could be a lot tighter in there, if I was dropping them they would have been".

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

My favorite part is Austin outright going "Yeah here we are loving up" like a half-dozen times.

i loved that because i've watched that match a million times and i never noticed how much they missed up, they covered it all up so well

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how Rock was presumably gassed while up against the guardrail and couldn't backdrop Austin into the crowd, so Austin just started beating the poo poo out of him

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, that kind of stuff is why a lot of old-school workers don't respect guys who lay out everything beat-for-beat. They tend to assume if you do that, then you can't change or call stuff on the fly if something goes against the plan, or someone gets hurt or tired.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the criticism of Savage-Steamboat is unfair because they worked each other like 20 times on house shows in the 2 months leading up to Mania III. I'm guessing by the time they got to Mania, what you saw was the refined version of their match since they both knew what worked and what didn't.

Shawn and Razor did a similar test-run up to Mania X and they never get criticized. Hall's even said some of the house show matches they did were better than their Mania match.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EugeneJ posted:

I liked how Rock was presumably gassed while up against the guardrail and couldn't backdrop Austin into the crowd, so Austin just started beating the poo poo out of him

I like how basically everything in that match was "this didn't go quite as planned, so I beat the poo poo out of The Rock for a minute"

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Much like his podcast in general, the commentary was so good because it was insightful and explanatory without being condescending.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I really loved the commentary and hope to hell that he gets Bret in studio soon for WM 13. The swig of water was so drat sly. Also, I watched it on the Network so that I could play it on my TV with the best resolution possible and I found it really easy to sync. The one thing I would have changed is a cue for when to pause the match beyond just the sound dropping out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If he gets Bret I hope they do the Survivor Series match too since as of a few years ago that was Austin's favorite match.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah if he does more commentaries I hope he's more mindful of letting us know when to pause.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Brian Shields interview with John Pollock was going okay until they got to talking about WM3 attendance and WM8's "lost" main event.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Brian Shields interview with John Pollock was going okay until they got to talking about WM3 attendance and WM8's "lost" main event.

Wait, what 'lost' main event?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, what 'lost' main event?

I think it was Flair vs Hogan which got canned after Vince was disappointed in house show attendance that had Flair vs Hogan. I might be completely wrong though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, Hogan vs Flair.

Brian Shields, the author of the official book "30 Years of Wrestlemania" on why Hogan vs Flair didn't take place: "No one knows."

I turned off the interview at that point.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted/discussed in the main WWE thread but I didn't see it here and it is so loving funny. The first paragraph is such a Dave thing to say, and the second is loving hilarious. Vince is crazy.

Another great story about Vince being Vince from Jericho's book has been floated. I guess it kinda belongs here as Jericho's a podcaster now anyway:

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1018/583140/chris-jericho-says-wwe-star-challenged-vince-mcmahon-to-a-fight/ (yeah I know the site's questionable, but this is apparently sourced from the book)

quote:

In the book, Jericho claims that while on a plane Vince McMahon made a snide remark to Kofi Kingston saying, "Maybe one day you'll get over," a comment which visibly disturbed Kingston.

As Jericho and Kingston exited the plane, Jericho told Kofi that he had to go back and challenge him to a fight. At first Kingston seemed to think it was a rib, but Jericho knowing McMahon's personality was totally serious about the situation.

Kingston took Jericho's advice and got back on the plane and asked Vince McMahon if he had a problem with him. The two traded verbal barbs back and forth until Vince McMahon shot in for a double leg takedown out of nowhere and he and Kingston subsequently wrestled around. McMahon has been known to test his amateur wrestling against the likes of Kurt Angle, also repeatedly attempting to take him down on a flight. McMahon finally got up and laughed the situation off, with McMahon liking that Kingston stood up for himself.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Lmfao the mental image. Vince owns so hard.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

One wonders where the WWE would be if Jericho hadn't gotten over with Vince backstage and shot on Goldberg.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Latest Talkin' Shop is full of amazing stories about merch being stolen and a wrestling promoter terrified of "Japanese Style". It's really drat good.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Thauros posted:

Another great story about Vince being Vince from Jericho's book has been floated. I guess it kinda belongs here as Jericho's a podcaster now anyway:

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1018/583140/chris-jericho-says-wwe-star-challenged-vince-mcmahon-to-a-fight/ (yeah I know the site's questionable, but this is apparently sourced from the book)

Goddamn there needs to be a book written or a movie made about Vince. I know he'd never do it himself, but maybe after he dies Shane or Stephanie will do it. The legend of this man needs to be documented.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Grant DaNasty posted:

Goddamn there needs to be a book written or a movie made about Vince. I know he'd never do it himself, but maybe after he dies Shane or Stephanie will do it. The legend of this man needs to be documented.

Meltzer has already been contacted for this but I doubt he'll do that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Meltzer has already been contacted for this but I doubt he'll do that.

he should have a book written already, due to be published following his death. I would buy the Vin Mac life story with all the low blows and high rolls

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Another Person posted:

he should have a book written already, due to be published following his death. I would buy the Vin Mac life story with all the low blows and high rolls

IIRC he pretty much said it would be a long time before he did either a Vince book or an autobiography because doing either would mean he'd have to abandon the Observer and he has no current plans to do that

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Wrestling Podcasts: 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZg8E72xXFA

replace "book" with "shirt" when neccessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC he pretty much said it would be a long time before he did either a Vince book or an autobiography because doing either would mean he'd have to abandon the Observer and he has no current plans to do that

If Meltzer writes does write a Vince biography I hope he gets a good editor.

• Locked thread