Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Effectronica posted:

well, the manuals tell you what happens in ground combat, it's just so complex you can't really wrap your head around it, and probably nobody understands naval combat given that they never really fixed cruizerg completely.

hoi4 looks like it could be playable for sane people from the dev diaries, and that will be good

I meant transparent more in the sense of explained in the tooltips in game rather than it's up to the player to figure out what Gearing is and poo poo like that. I guess by going to a manual but paradox manuals are (were? do they still have them?) full of out of date information. By the time I got EU2 (about 6 months after release I guess) the info in the like 100+ page paperback binding manual was all totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I assume this is the Pike and Shot manual? I like it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DICKHEAD posted:

I meant transparent more in the sense of explained in the tooltips in game rather than it's up to the player to figure out what Gearing is and poo poo like that. I guess by going to a manual but paradox manuals are (were? do they still have them?) full of out of date information. By the time I got EU2 (about 6 months after release I guess) the info in the like 100+ page paperback binding manual was all totally wrong.

haha hoi1 shipped without being able to load paratroopers into planes. it took me months to figure out that i wasn't doing anything wrong and i had to download a patch. a defining moment in the life of a young gamer.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

I assume this is the Pike and Shot manual? I like it.

Yeah. Game looks cool. There's three campaigns (Italian Wars, Thirty Years War, English Civil War) and a skirmish mode with random maps that lets you set up so you can play lesser armies in those wars (including like Turkish and Polish). Apparently a map editor and stuff too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Getting over tribal is such an expensive pain in the rear end...I guess you're supposed to spend like 200 years slowly doing it instead of rushing the upgrades in your capital and switching immediately.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh okay it simulates the hungarian migration by just auto-granting independence to everything east of the carpathians when you form it by decision

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Getting over tribal is such an expensive pain in the rear end...I guess you're supposed to spend like 200 years slowly doing it instead of rushing the upgrades in your capital and switching immediately.

Abuse the Jews and Anti-Pope if you can. That's what I did. I also got 600 gold once from a mysterious source I still don't understand? Maybe a rich relative died lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DICKHEAD posted:

Abuse the Jews and Anti-Pope if you can. That's what I did. I also got 600 gold once from a mysterious source I still don't understand? Maybe a rich relative died lol

some tribal shamans are still rich as poo poo for some reason so when they kick it you get a bunch of gold

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

I been abusing the Jews, including expelling them for the first time ever. I didn't think about Antipope though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've noticed every time I switch immediately to Feudal or Republic I get slammed in terms of income and levies since tribal holdings count as wrong holding type.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I've noticed every time I switch immediately to Feudal or Republic I get slammed in terms of income and levies since tribal holdings count as wrong holding type.

Yeah you should at fully upgrade 2 or 3 I think. Just so you have the equivalent of raid income. Then again if you're a tribal bordering non-tribal lands you should just go nuts on their poo poo til you can upgrade everything. I bet it's real fast upgrading as a viking

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Anyway I got smashed in the second tutorial by the Transylvanians. Cripes.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Routing units will be pursued by the unit that defeats them and if it's near the edge of the map then there's a high chance the unit will run off the map after the enemy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can you cancel antipope. Noone is giving him money and I wanna get rid of kinslayer.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DICKHEAD posted:

It was so epic when Paradox farmed out the cold war game and literally the entire game seemed to be based around customizing battleships with doodads instead of politics and it didn't even have pops.

well, it wasn't so much 'farmed out' as 'some modders decided they could make a real game and paradox was dumb enough to believe them'

still really funny tho

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you cancel antipope. Noone is giving him money and I wanna get rid of kinslayer.

It looks like if you kill him (or revoke his title) then it ends his papacy now. That or I had a bug?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

well, it wasn't so much 'farmed out' as 'some modders decided they could make a real game and paradox was dumb enough to believe them'

still really funny tho

It's cool that EvW also leaked afterwards. I think Paradox has only had good luck with modders when it was the uh... The Darkest of Days guys and the dudes who did the big EU2 mod that was released as a standalone game (that I never played since it came out about the time EU3 finally got good). And I guess Wiz but apparently Johan had no idea he made CK2+ or anything when they hired him.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DICKHEAD posted:

yeah that scenario was a bitch and a half, their cav is surprisingly good and since breaking an enemy starts a pursuit you can't follow up with charges on the infantry

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

It looks like if you kill him (or revoke his title) then it ends his papacy now. That or I had a bug?

I killed him and nothing happened.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cannot revoke last holding from religious head.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The only thing I can think of is declaring war on the pope and losing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

IS expelled Jews supposed to be permanent? My guy died and his kid still had it. I thought I could invite them back.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

IS expelled Jews supposed to be permanent? My guy died and his kid still had it. I thought I could invite them back.

it takes some years

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

you can't welcome the jews back for 20 years after you get rid of them

code:
welcome_jews = {
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
			NOT = { 
				religion_group = jewish_group 
				has_character_modifier = expelled_jews_timer #7300 days
			}
			has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			primary_title = { higher_tier_than = DUKE }
		}
		allow = {
		}
		effect = {
			remove_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			custom_tooltip = {
				text = jews_are_welcome
			}
			hidden_tooltip = {
				character_event = { id = SoA.106 }
			}
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1

modifier = {
				factor = 0.1 # Less likely to do it
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = zealous
			}
		}
	}

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I killed him and nothing happened.

Maybe it was because I had appointed a successor when I killed mine? If that's the case then it's a bug.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
welcome_jews

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

yeah that scenario was a bitch and a half, their cav is surprisingly good and since breaking an enemy starts a pursuit you can't follow up with charges on the infantry

This game is really satisfying because when you do things right it causes total chaos.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

draculowned

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

jews_are_welcome = 0

:(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

how does tribe -> feudal republic work when your principality is still elective gavelkind anyway

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I thought after beating the Pike and Shot tutorial I was ready for a Real Campaign and I got my rear end kicked by the HRE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

3 generations later and everyone is still mad I expelled the Jews 100 years ago.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also got my arse kicked by tribal Ulster and they took my capital just as I was upgrading my last holding.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The secret to tribal, imo is to just stay tribal until literally every single one of your personal holdings are ready to be turned into castles.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

3 generations later and everyone is still mad I expelled the Jews 100 years ago.

You cleanse the country ONE TIME and people never let you live it down

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

you can't welcome the jews back for 20 years after you get rid of them

code:
welcome_jews = {
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
			NOT = { 
				religion_group = jewish_group 
				has_character_modifier = expelled_jews_timer #7300 days
			}
			has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			primary_title = { higher_tier_than = DUKE }
		}
		allow = {
		}
		effect = {
			remove_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
			custom_tooltip = {
				text = jews_are_welcome
			}
			hidden_tooltip = {
				character_event = { id = SoA.106 }
			}
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1

modifier = {
				factor = 0.1 # Less likely to do it
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = zealous
			}
		}
	}

I can;t actually find this event in the files... Is it in soa_Jewish_events?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can;t actually find this event in the files... Is it in soa_Jewish_events?

no, it's a decision so it's under realm_decisions between expel_jews and put_jews_on_train

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does that higher tier than duke thing mean I need to be King to welcome them back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I need the Jew gold to become king...but I need to be king to get the jew gold.