Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just built a Sicaran Battletank, and I just gave up on putting the bottom on entirely because it doesn't fit at all.

Jewel-like objects of magic and wonder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean it really doesn't matter because you can't see it at all but still!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, it's not a big thing but some of the FW stuff is just such a pain in the balls. I'm putting together an older Storm Eagle kit and there's warpage along both axes in the side pieces, mold slippage on smaller stuff, just bad poo poo. It's going to be the sturdiest model I ever built but probably not the prettiest. This thread on Dakka is a godsend.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HardCoil posted:

Has anybody been playing with the new GK codex?
I bought it and a bunch of minis to start up on 40K again, but I'm hearing terrible things about it.
Was this a horrible mistake (apart from coming back to mans)?

The GK codex is pretty good at doing one thing, but outside of that one thing it really does not have very many options at all. If you're fine with that, it's not a bad army to play- but if you want to be able to swap in lots of different units and try all kinds of configurations, GK is going to be a huge disappointment for you. Its big schtick is Deep Striking its whole force (via the special Nemesis Strike Force Detachment) on turn 1 and forcing a bunch of Terminators into the other guy's face, overwhelming them with targets and hitting them hard before they have a chance to respond. To that end, Terminators, Paladins, and Dreadknights will make up the vast majority of most lists, generally along with an Inquisitor (for Servo-Skulls) and Comms Relay (to ensure everything arrives on time.)

The unfortunate part of things is that there is very little reason to run any of the power armored units in the book; Strike Squads are pretty much just inferior to Terminators, Interceptors don't do a lot that is unique when the whole army Deep Strikes anyways, and Purifiers/Purgators can't DS themselves and thus are left as obvious targets stranded far from the rest of your forces. With their vehicles lacking Psychic Pilot, there's also very little reason to bother taking Rhinos, Razorbacks, etc in support of your main forces.

(It's not quite as bad as all that, since it's possible to pull some shenanigans with allied models and transports and stuff, but by and large it's the case.)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just a friendly reminder to all Bay Area goon hams that Game Kastle Fremont is hosting an escalation league tommorow essentially all day so feel free to bring your plastic space barbies anytime.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just built a Sicaran Battletank, and I just gave up on putting the bottom on entirely because it doesn't fit at all.

It requires a slight bit of muscle but mine went together quite well.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, it's not a big thing but some of the FW stuff is just such a pain in the balls. I'm putting together an older Storm Eagle kit and there's warpage along both axes in the side pieces, mold slippage on smaller stuff, just bad poo poo. It's going to be the sturdiest model I ever built but probably not the prettiest. This thread on Dakka is a godsend.

The storm eagle was notorious for being difficult to assemble. My buddy Tim said he would rather assemble a Thunderhawk.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Hey it's a couple posts back at this point but that tyranid bio-titan looks ~amazing~. Can I humor you for some closeups?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Ghost Hand posted:

Pretty much this. And my opinion has been called into question based on how much I choose to spend on Warhammer in this forum and others.

Honest question, do you think this is unfair? Given what you do, let alone what you spend.

Disclaimer, I enjoy your podcast, but I am curious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Hand posted:

The storm eagle was notorious for being difficult to assemble. My buddy Tim said he would rather assemble a Thunderhawk.

It really was bad, its such an awful kit to put together.

However it does seem that the quality of Forge Worlds casting is backsliding. The last 2 things I've got from them have been no-where near as good as things last year.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

spacegoat posted:

Honest question, do you think this is unfair? Given what you do, let alone what you spend.

Disclaimer, I enjoy your podcast, but I am curious.

I can't speak for Ghost Hand, but I spend a shitload on this hobby and folks knew the extent of my "investment" they'd balk and hang poo poo on me. But here's the thing, I don't really have any other vices/hobbys; I don't drink, play golf, ride motorbikes or whatever. Plus, my spending isn't completely out of control. I make my mortgage payments every month and make sure the kid has juice.

Those same folks who'd balk at the fact that I spent a couple hundred bucks on a few plastic tanks habitually put that some amount of money up their nose every weekend but for some reason that doesn't have the same stigma.

So yeah, I totally understand where GH is coming from. It's nobody's business what anyone does with their money. If anyone wants to know what Dave paints charges for a project they can ask for a quote.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cataphract posted:

Those same folks who'd balk at the fact that I spent a couple hundred bucks on a few plastic tanks habitually put that some amount of money up their nose every weekend but for some reason that doesn't have the same stigma.

Warhammer 40k: As expensive as cocaine, but less socially acceptable

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Warhammer 40k: As expensive as cocaine, but less socially acceptable

Both are also much more expensive in Australia than overseas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cataphract posted:

Which is why we... mostly use synthetic cocaine from china :confuoot:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Which is why we... mostly use synthetic cocaine from china :confuoot:

Talking about fake stuff from China might get you probated, fair warning. :filez:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

This can explain a regular touring schedule!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BlackIronHeart posted:

Talking about fake stuff from China might get you probated, fair warning. :filez:

Synthetic cocaine isn't fake, it's just artificially created in a lab instead of harvested and processed from a coca plant :eng101:

It's also apparently legal in Australia and 1/3 the price of real cocaine, unless they changed the law since 2013

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

He was making a joke... which to be fair is also likely to get you a probbie in Games

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Cataphract posted:

It's nobody's business what anyone does with their money. If anyone wants to know what Dave paints charges for a project they can ask for a quote.

I agree, but my question was more about how his opinion (on GW and FW) comes into question due to his spending with them.

Eg. The one thing I don't like about his podcast is how most times that anyone is remotely critical of GW (or God forbid FW), he quashes it or tries spins it into something positive. It comes across a very shill-y, because even without a dollar figure we know Carl has dropped a LOT of money on this hobby.

I wanted to know if he thought that was fair.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

The GK codex is pretty good at doing one thing, but outside of that one thing it really does not have very many options at all...

Yeah that's what I gather, thsnkd. It's really different to what I used to play, but since I got the models and really like them, I might as well give it a go, and then play with allies later.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

spacegoat posted:

I agree, but my question was more about how his opinion (on GW and FW) comes into question due to his spending with them.

Eg. The one thing I don't like about his podcast is how most times that anyone is remotely critical of GW (or God forbid FW), he quashes it or tries spins it into something positive. It comes across a very shill-y, because even without a dollar figure we know Carl has dropped a LOT of money on this hobby.

I don't think he sounds shilly at all, but then theres a trend to jump down the throat of anyone that doesnt consider gw to be the worst thing ever though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So today I finally finished my magnetized Demolisher Plasma/Punisher turret at last so here's some quick and dirty cellphone pictures of that.
Realized I really need to get hold of the IPSC British Armour spray as a normal paint to be able to cover up any painting mistakes as none of the colours I've got really matches it.
Now I just wish I had another free Demolisher hull for it, only have a spare normal one for my Vanquisher turret.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

spacegoat posted:

I mean he spends a lot on it because he likes it, I don't think that's weird or shilly or a conflict of interest, it's exactly what you would do if you like a product.

Ghost Hand is a superfan, that's all. He really likes everything GW does, he's very optimistic about most things and he spends his money accordingly.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Haven't been painting as much, but finally got around to working on some more of the Thousand Sons stuff I got from Fix again. One of two Forgeworld Dreadnoughts (I love these models), about 90% complete.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Direwolf posted:

Ghost Hand is a superfan, that's all. He really likes everything GW does, he's very optimistic about most things and he spends his money accordingly.

He doesn't like everything. He'll be critical of models he doesn't like and prices he thinks are too out there. He jokingly maintains his anti-Fantasy stance.

Ghost Hand is a dude who loves 40K so much, he went through the trouble of making a well-produced podcast to share that love. Of course that podcast is going to be overwhelmingly positive about its subject matter.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Direwolf posted:

I mean he spends a lot on it because he likes it, I don't think that's weird or shilly or a conflict of interest, it's exactly what you would do if you like a product.

Pretty much this. I'm not trying to convince people to buy things they don't like. And I have said MANY times there are things I don't like about some 40k models and rules. What I DO hope comes across is that I choose to focus on the positive side of things. I see complaining about things without taking action as wasted energy. So I don't focus on the things I don't like and focusing what I do. When people disagree with me or hate something I like *shrug* that's fine but I'm still going to state my point.

Justin on my show hates a lot of the things I like. That's fine but us disagreeing at least makes it entertaining.

Do I think it's fair that my opinions get called into question based on how much I spend on this hobby? No I dont. I manage my money accordingly and spend a % of my income in this hobby. I also (as Cataphractii states) pay a mortgage, feed and cloth my family and work hard to do so. I consider myself incredibly lucky to be in such a secure position at this time of my life. But does it mean that my opinion on pricing and models shoukdnt be impacted by that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You also have a private number and personal shopper at Forge World :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No thats me you're thinking of. Easy to get us confused though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Hand posted:

Do I think it's fair that my opinions get called into question based on how much I spend on this hobby? No I dont. I manage my money accordingly and spend a % of my income in this hobby. I also (as Cataphractii states) pay a mortgage, feed and cloth my family and work hard to do so. I consider myself incredibly lucky to be in such a secure position at this time of my life. But does it mean that my opinion on pricing and models shoukdnt be impacted by that.

I think it's actually really lovely that people do this, especially when it comes from people in the same hobby. I can't help but think jealousy is an ingredient in the motivation to do so. Lord knows I'm jealous. :) The very fact that you an Cataphract felt compelled to remind people that you are responsible adults speaks to how lovely this is. Whether or not you feed your kid should have nothing to do with the "validity" of your opinions on toys.

It's even worse to say you act like a shill on your podcast. For one thing, it's your loving podcast to do whatever you want with. And for another, shilling for something implies you are being materially rewarded or making a profit, and it would take a whole lot of miscast board sections to offset your own investments. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know who I'm jealous of in this hobby? The little ten or twelve year old bastard I saw in Warhammer World swaggering around with his own security ID, with access to a discount and being treated like royalty by the staff.

That kid, that kid is living the dream.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TheChirurgeon posted:

Haven't been painting as much, but finally got around to working on some more of the Thousand Sons stuff I got from Fix again. One of two Forgeworld Dreadnoughts (I love these models), about 90% complete.

I like the Scheme but the Las cannon bothers me. Arnt the Thousand sons supposed to be free from mutation?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Ultramega posted:

Hey it's a couple posts back at this point but that tyranid bio-titan looks ~amazing~. Can I humor you for some closeups?

Sure.

He's been through a few moves at this point so some spots are a little rough.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hihohe posted:

I like the Scheme but the Las cannon bothers me. Arnt the Thousand sons supposed to be free from mutation?

Well, you're correct that the mutation was supposedly purged (along with the flesh of most of their number), though before it was the exact opposite.

In any case, a fleshy growth on the superstructure of a dreadnought has basically nothing necessarily to do with the original body of the marine inside, unless it's directly coming out of the sarcophagus. It could just be a clump of daemon flesh that's hitched a ride on the lascannon. What's canonically inside the sarcophagi of 1KSons dreadnoughts, anyway? Just another ghost?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You know who I'm jealous of in this hobby? The little ten or twelve year old bastard I saw in Warhammer World swaggering around with his own security ID, with access to a discount and being treated like royalty by the staff.

That kid, that kid is living the dream.

What's the deal there? When we were at the goon meet in August there were kids like this who obviously hadn't played the game playing on one the glorious city fight tables. What do I have to do to be this kid?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How long does it usually take for Forgeworld to get stuff to you? Gonna order IA13.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JackMack posted:

What's the deal there? When we were at the goon meet in August there were kids like this who obviously hadn't played the game playing on one the glorious city fight tables. What do I have to do to be this kid?

Be the spawn of someone important to the company, presumably.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Hollismason posted:

How long does it usually take for Forgeworld to get stuff to you? Gonna order IA13.

My experience has been usually 4-5 business days if you're in the U.S.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Now the question is do I wait and make the shipment worthwhile and purchase more items (that I probably don't need)... Forgeworld why you gotta hurt me.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ghost Hand posted:

I also (as Cataphractii states) pay a mortgage, feed and cloth my family...

Ah, but do they get juice?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JackMack posted:

Dying from cancer and making a Make A Wish foundation request you monsters.

• Locked thread