Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Mulaney's order got cut from 16 to 13. RIP you weird-rear end Seinfeld pastiche. With that staff and that cast how did it not succeed? I would blame this on Fox Sundays but B99 transitioned just fine and it wouldn't have worked on any night.

Is there a possibility Fox will order more episodes if ratings or other circumstances improve?

It's not a good show, but I love Mulaney's comedy, and I admit the second episode made me laugh a lot. I've been rooting for him ever since it was first announced he was working on a pilot for NBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is there a possibility Fox will order more episodes if ratings or other circumstances improve?

The decision was made after the 13th ep wrapped production, so Fox is saying "13 is plenty, thanks." It debuted to a 1.0 and rose to a whopping 1.1 week 2 and is about to get lost for 2 weeks due to baseball. It's toast.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

radlum posted:

I watched the last episodes of Season 3 last night. The musical episode was really forced and dumb, but I loved all the songs, Rock the Torah has been stuck in my head for hours. I've yet to see the last season, it makes me sad that they didn't get to give the series a proper finale.

It all ends well enough - the season finale can work well as a series finale. It's still not as bad as My Name is Earl ending on all those cliffhangers long ago.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Seinfeld wasn't well received at first. Maybe Mulaney needs more white sneakers and better actors. I quit the second episode when he was talking to the chubby lady who was the worst actress I've ever seen on a network show and Mulaney was my most anticipated show of the season.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

radlum posted:

I watched the last episodes of Season 3 last night. The musical episode was really forced and dumb, but I loved all the songs, Rock the Torah has been stuck in my head for hours. I've yet to see the last season, it makes me sad that they didn't get to give the series a proper finale.
It didn't get a proper finale, but I feel the producers/writers knew the writing was on the wall, so they did the best they could. It touches the heartstrings, that's for sure.

Of course, I feel like they should have knew that FOX was only letting the show go on until it syndicate it, but were hoping for another season to get to the magic 100 episodes.

Maia posted:

I like this a lot.

Once they got done with the storyline of Sabrina adopting Hope, there wasn't really anymore story to tell. That show really was very sweet at times, though.

Remember when it was called "Keep Hope Alive" before they had to change it to something that less strongly implies dead babies?
I think critics gave plenty of props regarding Plimpton and Dillahunt, so the show shifted to showcase them more into absurd situations and more screentime to grab more viewers. While it was nice in chunks, I felt like the Sabrina, Jimmy and Hope family relationship was what really driving me to continue onward. Critics might not have liked those portions as much, but those moments made the show for me. Sabrina's little monologue at the end of Modern Wedding, the flashback and return in Man's Best Friend, Squeak Means Squeak and Lord of the Ring all have plenty of those, which makes them some of my favorite episodes along with Jimmy's Fake Girlfriend and Don't Ask, Don't Tell Me What To Do.

The name change was definitely a necessary one and it also makes me think of "Raising Arizona."

I also think have Shannon Woodward as Sabrina also was a massive upgrade before letting it hit live TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else watch the first episode of The Affair? Really, really good slow drama with fantastic performances and writing (that occasionally boiled over into the obvious but hey). Also has McNulty getting bitched out by Rawls and stars McNulty and that one actress from Luther everyone loves. Excited for episode 2 tonight.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's on Showtime. No need to get invested in it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bown posted:

Anyone else watch the first episode of The Affair? Really, really good slow drama with fantastic performances and writing (that occasionally boiled over into the obvious but hey). Also has McNulty getting bitched out by Rawls and stars McNulty and that one actress from Luther everyone loves. Excited for episode 2 tonight.

Speaking of Rawls, people should watch his Borgia show and witness him bitch the whole world out as the Pope.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

It needs about a megabit upload to work smoothly, and will of course use a ton of data on each ends if you're capped.

I don't have a cap, but I'm guessing my university's internet will not suffice. Ah well, one day maybe.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tonight's Brooklyn 99 in one emoticon: :vince:

If you're not watching Brooklyn 99 then what the gently caress are you doing?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

Tonight's Brooklyn 99 in one emoticon: :vince:

If you're not watching Brooklyn 99 then what the gently caress are you doing?

Has it done anything to make the characters feel more like actual people? I kind of feel like Brooklyn 99 needs an Harvest Festival of equivalent plot. It's very funny but there's nothing for me to hook onto and care about yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

PriorMarcus posted:

Has it done anything to make the characters feel more like actual people? I kind of feel like Brooklyn 99 needs an Harvest Festival of equivalent plot. It's very funny but there's nothing for me to hook onto and care about yet.

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet but I guess it being early on the characters haven't devolved into caricatures, but there aren't any super long running arcs going on I can see anyway. If they're smart they'll do something like it though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Mulaney's order got cut from 16 to 13. RIP you weird-rear end Seinfeld pastiche. With that staff and that cast how did it not succeed? I would blame this on Fox Sundays but B99 transitioned just fine and it wouldn't have worked on any night.

You haven't watched it, have you.

...The musical number in tonight's episode was actually pretty funny. Rest of it sucked pretty hard though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

lelandjs posted:

You haven't watched it, have you.

...The musical number in tonight's episode was actually pretty funny. Rest of it sucked pretty hard though.

It was really, REALLY close to "Somewhere That's Green," from Little Shop of Horrors.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, there's a Commissioner's Review coming that could potentially shake up or even shut down the precinct, so the team is ostensibly getting ready for that. And there's a deputy commissioner(?) (played by Kyra Sedgwick) who's got a grudge against Holt and is working to make this evaluation as hard as possible. So the potential is there for a Harvest Festival moment down the road.

But right now, it's much more of a live-action cartoon than Parks and Rec, and the show is content to be as much so far. Frankly, though, it fits; the show is one of the best joke delivery systems on the air right now. I'm not sure it needs the kind of grounding Parks had.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Why does it need to do that? It's funny now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, it's entertaining but I'm not compelled to watch it right away. In fact, it took until August for me to finish season 1 and I haven't started season 2 yet.

Great show though.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

But right now, it's much more of a live-action cartoon than Parks and Rec, and the show is content to be as much so far. Frankly, though, it fits; the show is one of the best joke delivery systems on the air right now. I'm not sure it needs the kind of grounding Parks had.

Yeah this is pretty much it. To me it's the spiritual successor to 30 Rock in terms of the rate of jokes per show. Some land and some miss , but I bet you by season 3/4 this show will be a well oiled machine. It makes me miss Better off Ted.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bown posted:

Yes, it's really good and i'd also highly recommend it. The format and characters show a lot of potential for the rest of the episodes and i'm very intrigued to see how it will all develop. Very interesting twist on what might be perceived as a mundane premise.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In season 1 they had an episode where somebody got shot and spent the next few episodes toddling around on a knee walker with plenty of jokes around both the shooting and their recovery, and the finale was based on faking out the audience and the characters in the show so a character could go undercover. The fact that the people in Brooklyn 99 are cops, albeit wacky cops, means that they already have plenty of opportunities to hook people and make people care.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"I'll help you die faster you terrorist" is the best bad line ever delivered by Donal Logue in the history of anything. Gotham is really on fire for this sort of stuff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Z-Nation has been renewed for a second season:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/z-nation-renewed-for-2nd-season.html

:dance:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This excellent news. Z Nation is a good show!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zaggitz posted:

It never reached the lows of the My Name is Earl prison season at least.

I love both those shows so much :(.

Prison Season was ok...the "Earl is in a coma having a coma-dream about his life being a cliche'd 90's sitcom" season, on the other hand...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The worst parts of the prison season were actually the bits where he wasn't in prison.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DrBouvenstein posted:

Prison Season was ok...the "Earl is in a coma having a coma-dream about his life being a cliche'd 90's sitcom" season, on the other hand...

That was the same season!

I didn't actually mind the prison portions either, up until the tail end of it where Earl kind of loses his poo poo and goes back to being a dick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The final season when it went back to basics were as good as it ever was, though. drat shame it got cancelled when it did.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Manhattan wrapped up its first season on Sunday. You guys should watch Manhattan, it is a good show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hannibal just cast it's lady murasaki, seemingly in recognition of its generalized quality as a Silence of the lambs derivative

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently Lea Thompson starred in a sitcom called "Caroline in the City" in the 90s, and her character even guest starred in Friends (and Matthew Perry guest starred in her show as well).

Is it good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lord no.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That takes me back. Caroline in the City. Suddenly Susan. Veronica's Closet.

Uh...I think they're basically the same show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember watching that show but I'd never bother re-watching. It was just a generic sitcom that probably doesn't age well.

And I think that Friends crossover was a big gimmick think Must See TV did one time where all of its shows crossed over in totally insignificant ways. I think Jonathan Silverman's The Single Guy was in on it too and a fourth show. Maybe Suddenly Susan?

The weird poo poo that takes up space in your memory. And suddenly I'm realizing The Single Guy was basically the prototype for How I Met Your Mother.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

There was definitely a night where the episodes of Friends, Mad About You, and I think Caroline in the City all dealt with a citywide power outage.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I watched the Marry Me pilot, and the challenger joke was one of my favorite one-liners ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ming-Na played the wife of Johnathan Silverman's best friend so for all time when I see her my first thought is "Hey it's that lady from The Single Guy".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Hannibal just cast it's lady murasaki, seemingly in recognition of its generalized quality as a Silence of the lambs derivative
Your premise is flawed because Hannibal is much better than Silence of the Lambs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shageletic posted:

That takes me back. Caroline in the City. Suddenly Susan. Veronica's Closet.

Uh...I think they're basically the same show?

Suddenly Susan was a workplace comedy with Nestor Carbonell and Judd Nelson, Veronica's Closet was the 'gay' workplace comedy, Caroline in the City was more of a best-friends sitcom alike Cybill or New Adventures of Old Christine. No matter my opinion of them then, they were all awful, but if you have to watch one Veronica's Closet wins for Peggy Hill.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toxxupation posted:

So a show based off the original book is derivative of its sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Josh Lyman posted:

Your premise is flawed because Hannibal is much better than Silence of the Lambs.

Lol ok bud

• Locked thread