Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bhsman posted:

I had to leave to grab dinner around the time the Sligh player used Harness by Force on the Phoenix, and going by the 1-1 comment earlier it sounds like that led to a win, but how did Game 3 play out?

Sligh had a good board going but RG had Anger of the Gods showing on top of his library from Courser which forced a mostly suicide attack that pretty much sealed up the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Sligh had a good board going but RG had Anger of the Gods showing on top of his library from Courser which forced a mostly suicide attack that pretty much sealed up the game.

That's a shame, but I'll take two Sligh decks in the top 4.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Chill la Chill posted:

He's OK. The few times I've played him at Roanoke was fine - Todd Anderson is much worse. I just pity him because of that grinder story and how much he lost to become a real wizard.
I don't believe I am familiar with this story.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Can someone explain the Ashen Rider and Satyr Wayfinder in the sideboard of this burn deck?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74784

Ashen Rider for a Show and Tell matchup?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

KidDynamite posted:

g/r monsters is the worst matchup for the sub sligh deck right?

I found it was the case after 2 gamedays and FNM. THe Jeskai/Azban I more or less rolled through.

I got 1st in FNM, 4th first game day, and 9th today. Did pretty well except the R/G monster decks gave me fits. I wonder about putting 2 X-burn spells in the board and 4 of the "swipe the opponents creature" spells to deal with the big phattys if I don't have the guy knocked out by turn 5.

I was really worried about Jeskai/Azban, but I had 5 matchups this weekend and all of them went 2-0 in my favor.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Recess Rapist posted:

Can someone explain the Ashen Rider and Satyr Wayfinder in the sideboard of this burn deck?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74784

Ashen Rider for a Show and Tell matchup?

My guess would be Ashen Rider for Show and Tell, and Satyr Wayfinder for extra Grim Lavamancer fuel?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

My guess would be Ashen Rider for Show and Tell, and Satyr Wayfinder for extra Grim Lavamancer fuel?

He has no way to cast the Wayfinder though, and I can't imagine he wants to drop that with Show and Tell. I suspect they're just there, like a Belcher sideboard.

Edit: You're right about the Riders though; I've seen that card beat Show and Tell several times.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

He has no way to cast the Wayfinder though, and I can't imagine he wants to drop that with Show and Tell. I suspect they're just there, like a Belcher sideboard.
I just spend two minutes trying to figure out why they are there and came up with nothing. Thought I was losing my mind.

E: I'm talking about Wayfinder, Ashen makes sense.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Maybe he doesn't know how Wooded Foothills works...

vvvv That makes much more sense.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 20, 2014

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
Maybe they made a mistake while transcribing the deck list, and the Satyr Wayfinder is actually something else. Satyr Firedancer?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Anyone else going to be at SCG Minneapolis next weekend?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Thanks to whoever posted about PucaTrade a couple weeks ago, it's worked great for me so far.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Veyrall posted:

I don't believe I am familiar with this story.

There was a book written about Brad Nelson and his rookie of the year season. I think it was written by Rich Hagon actually? Anyway it goes into how he dropped out of school and ruined his relationship with his girlfriend to grind SCG events. Actually I might be mixing him up with Todd Anderson, maybe Todd Anderson is the one who ruined his relationship over MTG. Brad dropped out of school for it though for sure.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Thanks to whoever posted about PucaTrade a couple weeks ago, it's worked great for me so far.

Yeah, it's working great for me too. I found it useful to take the time to upload ALL my chaff. It's crazy how many people want weird cards for their cube or EDH deck, so just post all of it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nah, that's all Nelson.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Searching over ebay for card deals like I enjoy doing periodically and made the mistake of searching for zendikar lands. Probably 50-75% of the listings are altered full arts covered by big titty anime girls. Does anyone actually buy those things? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since there's always a couple people at the local shop with similar sleeves and playmats, it just never ceases to amaze me.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Searching over ebay for card deals like I enjoy doing periodically and made the mistake of searching for zendikar lands. Probably 50-75% of the listings are altered full arts covered by big titty anime girls. Does anyone actually buy those things? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since there's always a couple people at the local shop with similar sleeves and playmats, it just never ceases to amaze me.

Buy the alters, and paint clothes on them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

There's a guy who routinely plays casual games with this anime playmat, I think it's a Yu Gi Oh thing, with these twin girls that are wearing belts covering and constricting their massive breasts. I high fived the judge at my PTQ who told him to turn it face down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, it's working great for me too. I found it useful to take the time to upload ALL my chaff. It's crazy how many people want weird cards for their cube or EDH deck, so just post all of it.

It's also crazy how many people will actually take the time to mail you the tiny bits of chaff you want. I just checked this morning and someone is sending me 3x Dragonstyle Twins, getting them about 100 pts total.

It's not great for getting cards you want for Standard right away, but it seems really great for building a cube or grabbing cards you think might find a home a few sets from now.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Entropic posted:

Boss Sligh now 1-1 in the finals.

Someone explain the etymology of "boss sligh" to me.

Sligh is a sub-archetype of the aggro archetype. So named after Paul Sligh, one of the first to play a deck that embraced the philosophy of the "Sligh principle", founded by Jay Schneider

Tom "The Boss" Ross's versions of Sligh are then called Boss Sligh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Aren't we way overdue for some Commander spoilers? It comes out in less than three weeks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

There's a guy who routinely plays casual games with this anime playmat, I think it's a Yu Gi Oh thing, with these twin girls that are wearing belts covering and constricting their massive breasts. I high fived the judge at my PTQ who told him to turn it face down.

In defense mode, right? :haw:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Anyone else going to be at SCG Minneapolis next weekend?

I might go for Saturday, except that I'm pretty far off of actually having anything for standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I might go for Saturday, except that I'm pretty far off of actually having anything for standard.

Just build Robits. Represent us.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

BJPaskoff posted:

Congrats to both of you for being dorks.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
At the end of each game you need to turn your playmat face up to prevent cheating

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Good to see sligh decks doing well. Mine didn't do so well on game day. Got mana flooded in 2 key games.

Also can't they just ban all that stupid anime poo poo? Especially the sexual stuff, how is that poo poo allowed. We really don't need to encourage neck beards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xeom posted:

Good to see sligh decks doing well. Mine didn't do so well on game day. Got mana flooded in 2 key games.

Also can't they just ban all that stupid anime poo poo? Especially the sexual stuff, how is that poo poo allowed. We really don't need to encourage neck beards.

The My Little Pony stuff is worse...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xeom posted:

Magic had a pin up standup (window sticker I think too?) of Lilliana for shops to use and had her all over play mats. It's not exactly much better.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I am new to magic, but most of the stuff I've seen on cards and wizards merch seems fine. At least recent merch that I've seen.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Entropic posted:

Aren't we way overdue for some Commander spoilers? It comes out in less than three weeks.

Yeah, if they stick to the same schedule we should have a full spoiler by this Friday. I don't recall if they did articles earlier in the week too.

Either way, thanks for the prebuy reminder. I'd rather pick them up now at close to retail before they spike during the holidays and I have to wait for the set to stabilize.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Guess who's at it again?

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/579394297?t=33h19m0s

Can you spot the cheat? :3:

okay maybe the camera hid the land he actually exiled

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

That's a shame, but I'll take two Sligh decks in the top 4.

I can happily report that my Rabble Red deck from the weekend finished second in both events I played. I had trouble dealing with Blue Robits that showed up. I made sure that I actually had 3 copies for Hordeling Outburst in side board instead of Eidelon. I was winning easily by turn 6 in all but 1 game that I played. I only lost one game and that was just poor luck...drew 5 lands in a row with 2 in opening hand. Left me dry to deal with ANYTHING.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Guess who's at it again?

Credits to IRC goons Toshimo and Procrastinator for spotting and confirming this:

Yeap, he never exiles the one card from his graveyard in hopes to play Cruise next turn for something profitable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Guess who's at it again?

Credits to IRC goons Toshimo and Procrastinator for spotting and confirming this:

I think that this time he is in the clear. I count 7 cards in the yard even with the first land exiled.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sickening posted:

I think that this time he is in the clear. I count 7 cards in the yard even with the first land exiled.

But he's keeping mana up for anti-daze ... Which is exactly why he did it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Yeah actually I looked at it again and the land on the very left gets turned sideways and yeah I guess there's brainstorm, daze, fetch, ponder, fetch, daze, fetch and he exiles 7 cards and pays 1.

Stupid cards sliding off the camera.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

En Fuego posted:

But he's keeping mana up for anti-daze ... Which is exactly why he did it.

He still has enough for the cruise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OssiansFolly posted:

I can happily report that my Rabble Red deck from the weekend finished second in both events I played. I had trouble dealing with Blue Robits that showed up. I made sure that I actually had 3 copies for Hordeling Outburst in side board instead of Eidelon. I was winning easily by turn 6 in all but 1 game that I played. I only lost one game and that was just poor luck...drew 5 lands in a row with 2 in opening hand. Left me dry to deal with ANYTHING.

That robots deck actually wins in your local meta? Everyone who plays it at my store has done terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

He still has enough for the cruise.

I don't like the flourish for cruise but I mean, that's grasping at straws and it's hypocritical to say. I know personally I count cards like that and splay out my graveyard a lot more tightly but my legacy play is 99% dredge and there's no way a dredge graveyard is showing up in that awful coverage camera view anyway.

• Locked thread