Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I thought you guys were joking about the bone fist being THAT good, but it's a definite treat. It stuns / knocksdown / launches enemies like whoa. I see no reason to not just do the 2H rolling R1 all the drat time.

//edit: fashion souls

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

What kind of person keeps affinity and soul shower attuned

Soul Shower is excellent for comboing into Soul Spear in PvP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I thought you guys were joking about the bone fist being THAT good, but it's a definite treat. It stuns / knocksdown / launches enemies like whoa. I see no reason to not just do the 2H rolling R1 all the drat time.

//edit: fashion souls

you look like poo poo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

you look like poo poo

wrong forum

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
What's the current FotM PvE build? Wanna go back and run through the DLC on easymode.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I think I made a mistake by going into NG++ before starting on the DLC, which seems to be generally harder than the base game. Especially loving Fume Knight, that bastard took me longer than any other boss in the game so far.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just wait until you get to those loving cats in the third one :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

What's the current FotM PvE build? Wanna go back and run through the DLC on easymode.

Get 30 strength at as soon as reasonable, use Mace +10 and Tower Shield from behind Ornstein. Also buy an Estoc and put your extra stones into it (estoc scales with strength really well and is good at everything the mace it's bad at). Top up your other stats while you do whatever, eventually getting 40 strength for Gyrm shield. Along the way get the heavy crossbow and infuse it with raw but don't waste any stones on it until after the Aerie or later. You can use Alva or lighter armor with this without a struggle.

If you don't like the mace it's because you aren't using the 1H R2s as your default. Use the jumping attack in spots where range is an issue, or switch to your estoc. The mace should be your main though, so learn to use it -- the estoc is easier but most of the time the mace is just way more effective.

Your other option is Leo + ROB + Flynn + rapier but you'll either need repair powder or a second rapier on deck. It's not really worth buffing dex for the rapier damage so maybe get some spells instead. Critters in all of the DLCs are strong against non-physical damage, so don't infuse your rapier. Utility spells like yearn and repair and denial are good.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 20, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get 30 strength at as soon as reasonable, use Mace +10 and Tower Shield from behind Ornstein. Also buy an Estoc and put your extra stones into it (estoc scales with strength really well and is good at everything the mace it's bad at). Top up your other stats while you do whatever, eventually getting 40 strength for Gyrm shield. Along the way get the heavy crossbow and infuse it with raw but don't waste any stones on it until after the Aerie or later. You can use Alva or lighter armor with this without a struggle.

If you don't like the mace it's because you aren't using the 1H R2s as your default. Use the jumping attack in spots where range is an issue, or switch to your estoc. The mace should be your main though, so learn to use it -- the estoc is easier but most of the time the mace is just way more effective.

Your other option is Leo + ROB + Flynn + rapier but you'll either need repair powder or a second rapier on deck. It's not really worth buffing dex for the rapier damage so maybe get some spells instead. Critters in all of the DLCs are strong against non-physical damage, so don't infuse your rapier. Utility spells like yearn and repair and denial are good.

Thanks! I was reading about the Rapier quality builds but I can't really find a good breakdown of one beyond "40/40 2h rapier err'day".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In other news I just got the Drakeeper Warpick to drop. I exhausted the great shield drakekeeper by the egg completely and killed the other two just before the Ancient Dragon ten loving times before it dropped using Jester Hat, Tatters, Gold ring +1, and coins each time.

I also got that Dragon Longsword from the dragon covenant guy that uses it just before Ancient, a Greatshield of Glory (totally inferior to Gyrm), and all of the Drakekeeper armor apart from the gloves.

For anyone looking to do the same:
-Egg guy is easy to get to
-At the two Drakekeepers guarding the door if you run up the stairs then run back down them a third of the way they will both usually come at you, when they reach the railing you can run past them and get the door open before they can nail you almost all of the time
-Run straight between the two greatsword Drakekeepers
-Go left and run in between the axe using dragon guard and the wall. If you go right the warpick using one is too fast with his attacks and will catch you
-Run diagonally to the right at the tunnel entrance to Ancient Dragon. The dragon guard in the tunnel is right handed and by going to his shield side you usually get past him with one hit at most. If you try to stay on the left he usually hits you twice and then everybody else catches you and murders you.
-Run to the Ancient Dragon's tile ring marker. Cast Warmth and heal up while everyone goes back to their places. Kill the dragon guard and the two greatshield drakekeepers and feather out.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

Thanks! I was reading about the Rapier quality builds but I can't really find a good breakdown of one beyond "40/40 2h rapier err'day".

If you get invaded switch between one and two hands on the estoc, when one handing use the R2 a lot. The 2H R2 on the estoc pierces shields. Most people who rely on a shield don't know this.

Lances are also very good for PVE but the only good physical oriented lance you get is from a memory so way late in the game. Rapier is probably better anyway thanks to how little stamina its attacks use.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 20, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Double Bill posted:

I think I made a mistake by going into NG++ before starting on the DLC, which seems to be generally harder than the base game. Especially loving Fume Knight, that bastard took me longer than any other boss in the game so far.

The DLC is designed to be endgame stuff, when you look at enemy stats. Everything just hits incredibly hard and encounters are specifically designed to overwhelm you unless you run through the level a couple of times.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
From released some boss stats a while ago. 93% of the time Fumey wins. Next toughest boss on the list is actually the Ruin Sentinels at like 70%.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The strongest character in Dark Souls 2: some nerd who got beat up by Velstadt once

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'll never get why people have such trouble with the Ruin Sentinels. Fume I get, but them? Baffling.

at the date posted:

This looks really easy. He was hit by the Commander and adds like a dozen times and never dropped below 60% health.

You didn't really watch much of that video, huh? It's all armor, when he was a rogue the boss could do almost his entire health bar with the overhead attack. It seems like heavy armor is insanely effective. Though the game doesn't look as hard as the Souls series, I don't see why that matters. The last thing I want are a bunch of carbon copies from other studios.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You guys mean this article? It doesn't say that the Ruin Sentinels are among the toughest bosses, but that they're the most frequented encounter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'll never get why people have such trouble with the Ruin Sentinels. Fume I get, but them? Baffling.

You don't understand why most people's first encounter with a multi-boss fight is hard? There's a reason why it's one of the most summoned fights in the game. Multiple anything is much harder than solo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're also a pretty big jump over the Pursuer in terms of difficulty, which catches a lot of people out. You go from basically one-shotting a dude with an environmental gimmick to a three way smash fest involving three enemies with significant range and damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are also 2 points in the fight where you take forced fall damage (when you drop down from the initial fog gate you take a little and unless you like dancing around that tiny rectangular platform you're gonna have to jump down to the floor). If you get smacked by one of the sentinels and then slide off the edge, it'll still do full fall damage and kill you without you being able to do anything about it. Like half of my deaths in that fight have been because that happened.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

CJacobs posted:

There are also 2 points in the fight where you take forced fall damage (when you drop down from the initial fog gate you take a little and unless you like dancing around that tiny rectangular platform you're gonna have to jump down to the floor). If you get smacked by one of the sentinels and then slide off the edge, it'll still do full fall damage and kill you without you being able to do anything about it. Like half of my deaths in that fight have been because that happened.

Are you kidding? Ruin sentinels you absolutely should be fighting the first one up on that rectangular platform. If you manage to stay up there the other two do not join the fight until you kill the one at that start place, and when the other two come marching up one of them beats the other to the platform by about 20-25 seconds giving you a chance to wail on him solo too. You can get one and a third sentinel down and then jump off as the third joins the platform fight, drink immediately, and you've got that boss fight more than handled from that point if you know what you're doing.

All you have to do is make sure that you do everything possible to keep yourself between the ruin sentinel and walls. It's really not that hard to do and with the drangleic shield unless you get caught at half stamina a single ruin sentinel I'm pretty sure cannot possibly break your guard and manage to hit you for damage after.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

They're also a pretty big jump over the Pursuer in terms of difficulty, which catches a lot of people out. You go from basically one-shotting a dude with an environmental gimmick to a three way smash fest involving three enemies with significant range and damage.

I think a lot of people also fight Pursuer and them without ever setting foot in Heide's, which has two easy boss fights worth 10k+ souls apiece, a bone dust for the flask, and this game's Cling Ring all in one small and easily navigable map. And then if you go all the way down the Wharf path there's another easier boss than Pursuer/Sentinels and a bunch more poo poo like the game's first Pyromancy Flame.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think a lot of people also fight Pursuer and them without ever setting foot in Heide's, which has two easy boss fights worth 10k+ souls apiece, a bone dust for the flask, and this game's Cling Ring all in one small and easily navigable map. And then if you go all the way down the Wharf path there's another easier boss than Pursuer/Sentinels and a bunch more poo poo like the game's first Pyromancy Flame.

Yeah, ha. It's pretty easy to get suckered into thinking that the Pursuer > Sentinel route is the way you're 'meant' to go, given the Pursuer's key drops from the Last Giant.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ruin Sentinels can be a really tricky fight if you don't know to stay up on the platform as long as you're able and if you aren't doing much damage (eg: don't have a hammer of some sort or are doing them right after Pursuer). I know my first time against them I didn't even have a 100% sheild, saw that guy on the platform and decided to drop down to get out of that, lost 1/4 of my life in the fall, then got swarmed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

You don't understand why most people's first encounter with a multi-boss fight is hard? There's a reason why it's one of the most summoned fights in the game. Multiple anything is much harder than solo.

No, I don't. There's like one attack that's hard to dodge and they give you one of the better phantoms for dealing with a boss in the game. The only reason to have trouble is if you drop down early or stay up too long after killing the first one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azran posted:

I wish some of the crazy DkS1 mods existed for 2. I saw a run with a mod that switched out your weapon for a random one every 8 or so seconds and it was great. Aggresion is also pretty fun.

It's not really possible for DS2, as far as I am aware. The game doesn't update your equipment slots until you actually open up your inventory and equip something.

What you could do is pick out a weapon whose look you really, really like and have its moveset randomly change or such.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh speaking of that. Does moveset affect things like damage, poise damage and stamina damage? or are those determined by weapon?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Moveset has nothing to do with how much damage you do. At least not directly, as seems to be your question. Clearly if two weapons have similar damage but one has faster combos, that one will do more damage in practice.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee Cannon posted:

Moveset has nothing to do with how much damage you do. At least not directly, as seems to be your question. Clearly if two weapons have similar damage but one has faster combos, that one will do more damage in practice.

Incorrect. Each weapon move has an AR modifier. If my memory is working correctly right now, poise damage is actually just another type of AR along with physical, magic, stamina AR, blah blah.

This is on top of each weapon having a hidden modifier to its AR that applies to all attacks made from that weapon. Twinblades actually do only 75% of their listed AR in damage per strike.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 20, 2014

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

What kind of person keeps affinity and soul shower attuned

Half the enemies in the game are outright disabled with affinity I always have like 20 on me at all times.

I really like Soul Shower for Rat Touching Covenant because when people come to touch my rats I can drop Soul Shower from above and I'm high up enough the bullets can track and every single one hits with really harsh tracking.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sheep-Goats posted:

From released some boss stats a while ago. 93% of the time Fumey wins. Next toughest boss on the list is actually the Ruin Sentinels at like 70%.

It says in the article that the player wins against the Ruin Sentinels about 76% of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can easily guess most of the losses to Fume Knight counts the summons against him, and the idiot host didn't remove any of the Idol healing thingies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Exactly how bad is magic against the DLC enemies?

It's starting to seem like there are enough extremely magic-resistant enemies in DS2 all around (especially with the DLC) that starting with a magic-using character was a massive mistake on my part. If the enemies in the DLC are super resistant to magic like I've heard I might just go ahead and restart before I get too frustrated to keep playing. (Yes, I could Soul Vessel, but the idea of building a pure melee build on top of Sorcerer base stats just makes me feel even stupider.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Incorrect. Each weapon move has an AR modifier. If my memory is working correctly right now, poise damage is actually just another type of AR along with physical, magic, stamina AR, blah blah.

This is on top of each weapon having a hidden modifier to its AR that applies to all attacks made from that weapon. Twinblades actually do only 75% of their listed AR in damage per strike.

What exactly does that have to do with the moveset a weapon has?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Go Mag infused Melee.
Sorc already has enough/almost enoguh Dex to wirld the high str smashy sticks.

10 Vig, 9 Vit, Dump rest into End. Get 100 AGL And go naked.

^each weapon move. Which means if you get the overhead 2h greathammer smash to stick on the sun sword it will probably do more damage than the standard Strong poke it has br default.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Harrow posted:

Exactly how bad is magic against the DLC enemies?

It's starting to seem like there are enough extremely magic-resistant enemies in DS2 all around (especially with the DLC) that starting with a magic-using character was a massive mistake on my part. If the enemies in the DLC are super resistant to magic like I've heard I might just go ahead and restart before I get too frustrated to keep playing. (Yes, I could Soul Vessel, but the idea of building a pure melee build on top of Sorcerer base stats just makes me feel even stupider.)

This sounds familiar. I had a much better time of it going Hexer with a Dark Sunset Staff for Dark Orbs and a Black Witches Staff allowing me to pick and choose from the utility spells of all the magic types. Dark Fog tends to carry itself well too but I didn't find much use for the Chime based damage Hexes.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I made it through the Sunken King DLC with a hexer build using a lightning Espada Ropera and a Dark Estoc, and sometimes a Dark Silverblack Spear, all with Dark Weapon. Magic-infused melee is perfectly viable and can really poo poo out damage in some cases. Your spells won't do all that much in the DLCs but can be useful to plink down a weakened enemy if you've been forced to retreat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

What exactly does that have to do with the moveset a weapon has?

He said each move from a moveset has a damage modifier, which means that two weapons with the same base damage but different movesets can potentially do different amounts of damage on-strike. If a weapon has the same base damage as another, a faster moveset, but a move damage modifier that lessens the on-strike damage, it doesn't necessarily do more dps. But this is Hypothetical Souls where there are lots of weapons with the same base damage.

So basically

Tallgeese posted:

Each weapon move has an AR modifier.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm perfectly comfortable with magic melee, so that's comforting. My primary weapon is a Dark Estoc, but I was worried given the chip damage it does to Lion Warriors. I also have an upgraded Fire Longsword. So hopefully that'll carry me through.

Any suggestions for a lightning weapon to round it out?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Harrow posted:

I'm perfectly comfortable with magic melee, so that's comforting. My primary weapon is a Dark Estoc, but I was worried given the chip damage it does to Lion Warriors. I also have an upgraded Fire Longsword. So hopefully that'll carry me through.

Any suggestions for a lightning weapon to round it out?

if you're going with lightweight pointy pokers than maybe an esparda ropera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

if you're going with lightweight pointy pokers than maybe an esparda ropera?

That's the one that can parry with its R2, right? Sounds like a fun weapon.