Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So this is what you get with that premium cable money. Oliver sure knows how to live it up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Oh my god, that dog court is the best thing they've done.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I saw the taping of the show earlier tonight, was a real crazy mood whiplash between interview and doggy court (which John acknowledged to the crowd after the show). Great episode, though.

I was impressed that the only time John messed up during the taping was at the very end of the interview where he was supposed to say "and now, this," and forgot and had to redo that little ending bit, which I assume was masked by a camera cut. I was honestly shocked that the entire show was basically two takes (split by "And Now, This"). I've always assumed that there would be some cuts between the video clips or something, since I didn't realize it was actually possible for someone to talk that long, that fast, and not really mess up.

Also, it was amazing to get to watch John totally lose it when the dog clips were played, only to have to compose himself for when he came back on the camera :allears:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dog Court alone is better than the aggregate of Bill Maher's entire career.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

abraham linksys posted:

I was honestly shocked that the entire show was basically two takes (split by "And Now, This").
Even with the interview? I thought the cuts there seemed a little drastic, and I would've assumed it was taken from a longer Q&A and cut down for broadcast (like previous interviews).

Either way, sounds impressive.

Here's the dog court full footage link that someone must be looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tug71xZL7yc

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Does anyone have links to petitions and letters I need to sign for this to get fixed in the United States and Canada (I believe the same problem is here as well)?

I think I need to get my signature hand working.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Interestingly, that McDonald's campaign has been going on up here in Canada for a couple years. I wonder what's got the US division rolling it out now -- was the Canada campaign a soft-launch to test the waters? Is the US campaign being done because American sales have dipped in a way Canadian sales already did a while back? Was it a Canadian initiative that the American division's seized upon as a good idea? Very curious.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dog Court alone is better than the aggregate of Bill Maher's entire career.

The intro tune is better than the aggregate of Bill Maher's entire career.:colbert:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

The intro tune is better than the aggregate of Bill Maher's entire career.:colbert:

Have I got news for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAPjTHA19Kw

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

I meant that more as an indictment of Bill Maher's career but now I can actually say that in all seriousness.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I'm sorry to say but the same loving over of translators happens in some European countries as well. :(

What a disgrace.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

With the midterms coming in 2 weeks, I thought of doing animal court for Citizens United, but it's 90 minutes long and I'm not sure there's much tolerance for that.

Maybe for the announcement of the decision? Ugh.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

OhYeah posted:

I'm sorry to say but the same loving over of translators happens in some European countries as well. :(

What a disgrace.

I remember signing a petition last year over Afghan interpreters that had helped British troops, but since the thing was delivered to Number 10, there really hasn't been any news on how its progressed (or hasn't). The closest thing I can find as followup is a report back in June that three Afghan interpreters were taking the government to court on how the policy regarding Afghan interpreters (general gist: You still had to be working with the army and be doing so for twelve months or more) was absolute bollocks. I cannot find any follow up to that story anywhere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shadoer posted:

Does anyone have links to petitions and letters I need to sign for this to get fixed in the United States and Canada (I believe the same problem is here as well)?

I think I need to get my signature hand working.

John's Twitter linked the 2 organisations mentioned and they both have get involved pages so go look around those.

@IAmJohnOliver posted:

For more info on efforts to assist U.S.-affiliated refugees in Iraq + Afghanistan, visit http://thelistproject.org and http://refugeerights.org

Max22 posted:

Interestingly, that McDonald's campaign has been going on up here in Canada for a couple years. I wonder what's got the US division rolling it out now -- was the Canada campaign a soft-launch to test the waters? Is the US campaign being done because American sales have dipped in a way Canadian sales already did a while back? Was it a Canadian initiative that the American division's seized upon as a good idea? Very curious.

It's been a thing in the UK for about 7 years, it's pretty rare for each country's Mcdonalds management to pay any attention to what anyone else is doing. Though the UK has it as just a Q&A a website and didn't think hiring a former Mythbuster would be a good idea.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

njsykora posted:

John's Twitter linked the 2 organisations mentioned and they both have get involved pages so go look around those.

Awesome thanks!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nooooooooo Asian dude from Mythbusters I thought you were cool. :(

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

To be fair McDonalds probably approached him with an offer he couldn't refuse or shouldn't refuse. I mean Mythbusters does well but who hates more money?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cerepol posted:

To be fair McDonalds probably approached him with an offer he couldn't refuse or shouldn't refuse. I mean Mythbusters does well but who hates more money?

Mythbusters axed the build team, so he needs other work.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Mythbusters axed the build team, so he needs other work.

Oh snap! Didn't realize. So it's just Jamie and other dude all show now? Wonder how that works out for them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Actually I understand him taking a paycheck from MickeyDs but his career seems weird. He has free time(?) to appear in Star Trek fanfilms for some reason; or does he get a paycheck from that because of crowdfunds? I always thought he's a guy who could settle for some job hosting a science/engineering news show for PBS or something else "celebrity geek"-related.

So any dog SCOTUS edits yet?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

So any dog SCOTUS edits yet?

Haven't found any yet, been looking all morning.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
First one I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvXbYu08VZE

:laugh:

E: continuing the theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEp76FJTGhc

Kennedog is the most stoic dog.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cerepol posted:

Oh snap! Didn't realize. So it's just Jamie and other dude all show now? Wonder how that works out for them.

The build team were less than useless so I think it should work out pretty good. Shame the only one of them worth half a drat wound up flipping burgers.

Anyway, if anyone wants to be even more pissed off at that donkey, watch the Vice News piece on the interpreters that Oliver showed a clip from. It gets even worse!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering how hosed up the VA is, it's no surprise that civilian contractors get even a worse deal.

Echo Chamber posted:

McDonald's has the most negative press out of any restaurant next to Denny's. There's no shame in going up and affirming to people that "yes this food is food."

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head

Goddamn Dave Hill recorded the Last Week Tonight theme? gently caress me. Does he talk about it on his shows? I clearly haven't been paying attention.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

McDonald's has the most negative press out of any restaurant next to Denny's. There's no shame in going up and affirming to people that "yes this food is food."

Worse than Arby's or Taco Bell? Really?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yes? Just the hot coffee thing alone drew more heat than Taco Bell ever did before the meat thing, and Arbys in all its existence

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This took way, way too long to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1vmKun-vM

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Didn't see this posted: http://savemohammadsfamily.org/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's a list of demands that the IOC wants for potential host cities for the 2022 Winter Olympics, and also the reasons why there are only two cities left in the running.

At some point I hope Oliver does a story on this, as well as a side-by-side comparison between the IOC and FIFA to determine which is the worse international sports federation. He's already outlined the case for FIFA.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope the crew of Last Week Tonight are happy. They've now wasted at least one day of the Supreme Court's valuable time as they all argue over what breed of dog they are.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want that animal court thing to become a thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want that animal court thing to become a thing.
They should make it a weekly series. Just pick an oral argument every week and make a video of it. I'd watch. Holy poo poo, would I watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Y-Hat posted:

Here's a list of demands that the IOC wants for potential host cities for the 2022 Winter Olympics, and also the reasons why there are only two cities left in the running.

At some point I hope Oliver does a story on this, as well as a side-by-side comparison between the IOC and FIFA to determine which is the worse international sports federation. He's already outlined the case for FIFA.

I'm pretty sure they already did a story on the Winter Olympics bullshit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I know it's a minor quibble but I got so loving annoyed by him calling Afghans "Afghanis". I was disappointed but not surprised when Jon Stewart did it...But Oliver? drat, man.

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah this kinda broke my heart. Grant is awesome. You could tell he wasn't exactly feeling it in those clips. Really flat and monotone. Did it for the money and hopefully didn't tell any lies?

Astro Nut posted:

I remember signing a petition last year over Afghan interpreters that had helped British troops, but since the thing was delivered to Number 10, there really hasn't been any news on how its progressed (or hasn't). The closest thing I can find as followup is a report back in June that three Afghan interpreters were taking the government to court on how the policy regarding Afghan interpreters (general gist: You still had to be working with the army and be doing so for twelve months or more) was absolute bollocks. I cannot find any follow up to that story anywhere.
Thanks for the info, I really wondered what the situation was over here. Sounds terrible. :smith:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm pretty sure they already did a story on the Winter Olympics bullshit.

It was a short four-minute bit, but yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKf-fAekds

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Another Puppy Court: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXSH_u7MOo

I look forward to this show every week it is on. Too drat good, and needs to be a loving hour long.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Another Puppy Court: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXSH_u7MOo

I look forward to this show every week it is on. Too drat good, and needs to be a loving hour long.

Besides football this show is what I look forward to every week most on TV.

I understand the desire to have it be longer or twice a week or whatever but I honestly think its perfect as it is now. The long form segment is already about as long as you could make it and the stuff around it is mostly light hearted filler. They couldn't realistically do two long form segments a week and keep the current level of informativeness unless they significantly expanded their staff. They've definitely found their groove and to mess with that now could prove to be a mistake for the overall quality of the show.

My only concern this week is that dog court (as amazing as it is) overshadowed the more important piece. If you do a google news search for Last Week Tonight or John Oliver its about a 70/30 split in favor of dog court when usually in other weeks most of the news hits are about the long form piece.

edit: also oh my God, I want Justice Kennedy dog so bad. Its such a classy dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VagueRant posted:

I know it's a minor quibble but I got so loving annoyed by him calling Afghans "Afghanis". I was disappointed but not surprised when Jon Stewart did it...But Oliver? drat, man.
Yeah this kinda broke my heart. Grant is awesome. You could tell he wasn't exactly feeling it in those clips. Really flat and monotone. Did it for the money and hopefully didn't tell any lies?
Thanks for the info, I really wondered what the situation was over here. Sounds terrible. :smith:

Oh, I always though Afghan was the dog/clothing, while Afghani was the people.

• Locked thread