Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

If you end up doing it (or needing to) on your phone, I have to recommend Flic. It's 99 cents but it's made the process really, REALLY easy. (and kinda checks in with you every month to see what was just utilitarian junk you may no longer need.)

Tinder swipe for my own pictures, interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CoasterMaster posted:

Whelp, my Amazon Visa (issued by Chase) doesn't seem to be supported even though Chase is listed as a supporting bank. My Wells Fargo cards have been added though. Has anyone gotten a Chase card to work?

I have 2 Chase Visas successfully added.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

I have an iPad. Will it NOT eat up all my storage if I enable it and I have an iPad?
No. It'll still eat up all your storage, it'll just be slightly more useful I guess.

All it is is "Photostream" but rebranded and taking up your iCloud storage space now. It's not that useful of a feature for most people and was likely only implemented to try and get more people to spend money on iCloud storage upgrades.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Did any gas stations sign on for apple pay? Being able to use it at the pump without having to go inside would be pretty convenient.

That and chipotle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No. It'll still eat up all your storage, it'll just be slightly more useful I guess.

All it is is "Photostream" but rebranded and taking up your iCloud storage space now. It's not that useful of a feature for most people and was likely only implemented to try and get more people to spend money on iCloud storage upgrades.

Got it. Yeah, thanks. What setting in iCloud is it? I have Settings > iCloud > Photos toggled "on" is that it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Got it. Yeah, thanks. What setting in iCloud is it? I have Settings > iCloud > Photos toggled "on" is that it?
It should be at the top of the iCloud>Photos page.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Well I just used Apple Pay at Walgreens. It was very simple. While the girl was scanning my poo poo I opened up Passbook (not sure if this was necessary) and after she was done scanning the NFC reader thing turned on with a blue light and then the Passbook app said use Touch ID to pay. So I mashed my thumb into the home button and a second later it said move phone to NFC reader to pay. so I did and heard a beep and my phone vibrated and a second later my receipt printed out.

It's the future.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It should be at the top of the iCloud>Photos page.

Thanks. Found it. Gonna leave it off for now. Especially since, ummm, "Sync all photos between devices when on WiFi" seems to do the same thing if I want it to?

So I see in ApplePay settings you can set a default card, etc etc... I wonder if you can change cards on the fly at point of purchase?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Anyone try whole foods yet? About to buy some delicious olives.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Phone is updated to 8.1. Still having trouble finding out how to send SMSs from Macbook to my phone. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jackpot posted:

Speaking of cables, are there any good knock-off lightning adapters that are as good as Apple's "We'll charge you $35 because gently caress you" adapter? I couldn't find one on Monoprice; it's for my car, so I just need the adapter, not the cable.

It's $35 because it's got some special circuitry on board to convert audio and video to whatever pins the old connector used to use. Remember lightning only has 8 pins and the old connector has around 30, so there's some magic that has to happen.

Part of that $35 is obviously going to be Apple markup, but not all of it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Avocados posted:

Phone is updated to 8.1. Still having trouble finding out how to send SMSs from Macbook to my phone. :(

I've been texting my mom, who has Android, ever since I updated. You need to enable it in Messages settings on your phone, then confirm the code on your Mac.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Avocados posted:

I'm trying to figure this out as well.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've been texting my mom, who has Android, ever since I updated. You need to enable it in Messages settings on your phone, then confirm the code on your Mac.

I don't see any specific setting for this on mine..

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Capital One Visa was the only card I had that would be added.

Are Target red cards add-able?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Feenix posted:

So I see in ApplePay settings you can set a default card, etc etc... I wonder if you can change cards on the fly at point of purchase?

Yeah - when I was paying just a minute ago in Passbook I think you can tap on the card you want to use.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Where does this code pop up? I enabled it on both my iPad and my iMac, not seeing a code pop up anywhere and my iPhone is just waiting for me to input one.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

spongeworthy posted:

I'm trying to figure this out as well.

I don't see any specific setting for this on mine..

Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not seeing the option to turn it on buddy :(

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nada.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I definitely don't have this option. weird.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's actually going to be a way to fully back up all photos and have access to them on all devices, which is not what photostream was at all. I think it'll be great when we can upload our entire photo library from a mac, but thats not working yet it seems.

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 20, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

spongeworthy posted:

I definitely don't have this option. weird.
Do you have a Mac with Yosemite installed and signed into your iMessage account?

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Shoota_McG posted:

Where does this code pop up? I enabled it on both my iPad and my iMac, not seeing a code pop up anywhere and my iPhone is just waiting for me to input one.

Same issue here on my MBP and iPad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know if PayPal is planning support for their debit and credit cards?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do you have a Mac with Yosemite installed and signed into your iMessage account?

Yep. Gonna reboot Mac and see if that fixes it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's actually going to be a way to fully back up all photos and have access to them on all devices, which is not what photostream was at all.
Yes but Photosteam effectively covers most people's usage of "see the photos I take with my iPhone on my iPad." I've already got a backup solution for my iOS photos. I don't need to hogging all my iCloud space.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I know you aren't talking to me but I have both my devices signed into iMessage. I normally text my iMessage friends from my Mac anyways. This is so strange.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Awww, PNC Bank isn't supported at launch for Apple Pay, but at least they are "Coming Soon" ...

EDIT: Also, I'm a bit confused. Does Apple Pay work with ALL NFC payment readers, or only specific ones enabled by "Apple Pay" ?

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 20, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

I know you aren't talking to me but I have both my devices signed into iMessage. I normally text my iMessage friends from my Mac anyways. This is so strange.
This is what the setting should look like. Maybe there's another option in Yosemite somewhere that you have to have enabled. I was on both the iOS8 and Yosemite betas so maybe that has something to do with it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know if PayPal is planning support for their debit and credit cards?

Don't hold your breath; they still don't support 2FA on the iPhone app.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Shoota_McG posted:

Mine opened up on my OS X Messages window

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Whirlwind Jones posted:

This is what the setting should look like. Maybe there's another option in Yosemite somewhere that you have to have enabled. I was on both the iOS8 and Yosemite betas so maybe that has something to do with it.

Yeah that totally isn't there. Could it be Verizon is disabling it or something?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

xilni posted:

Mine opened up on my OS X Messages window

Well, maybe things are just going to be slow today.

I have Yosemite on my iMac, and 8.1 on my iPad but nothing seems to be happening with getting these SMS PINs.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

it'd be really cool and neat if apple made a cable that didn't invariably tear apart. you know by, like, using quality material for their cord covers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CoasterMaster posted:

Whelp, my Amazon Visa (issued by Chase) doesn't seem to be supported even though Chase is listed as a supporting bank. My Wells Fargo cards have been added though. Has anyone gotten a Chase card to work?

I have the same Amazon Visa card and it isn't supported for me either. Only my Costco Amex was.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Gio posted:

it'd be really cool and neat if apple made a cable that didn't invariably tear apart. you know by, like, using quality material for their cord covers.

They're covered under warranty for a year, 2 if you have applecare plus.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

Yep. Gonna reboot Mac and see if that fixes it.

Reboot of Mac fixed it. Pretty nice but I'd still like an option to disallow notifications on the "other" device if one is shown as "active."

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

spongeworthy posted:

Reboot of Mac fixed it. Pretty nice but I'd still like an option to disallow notifications on the "other" device if one is shown as "active."

Did the Mac reboot add the settings option on the iPhone? I can't imagine it would...but I restarted both my Mac and I hard rebooted my iPhone and nothing seemed to work.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just got my Henge Dock and I'm close to putting my Elevation Dock up for sale in exchange for the newest Sims.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Just did it at McDonald's. Such a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Yep, bought a Granny Smith apple at Whole Foods. Felt appropriate but nerdy, cashier looked at me a bit funny