Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pham Nuwen posted:

Clean out your inbox so you can tell me all the good fishing spots in the east bay :v:

Goddamn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's not really that much of a secret. I use to do a ton of shore fishing in Santa Cruz. Depending on your mobility and comfort level with the ocean it's pretty fun and productive. The rocks on the inside of jetty of the Santa Cruz small boat harbor are extremely productive for rock crab. The outside of the jetty is good for poke poling for gopher rockfish and cabezon (need to keep an eye on the waves or you can end up getting hit pretty good and knocked into the holes). You can also cast from the end of the jetty and I've seen people bring in halibut from the sandy mouth and grass rockfish from near a kelp bed. Big eye, barred, rubberlip Surfperch cruise the inner harbor under the docks and fairly easy for kids to catch. Saw a kid drag out a legal lingcod out of a few feet of water near the boat ramp once.

If cliffs are your thing the cliffs just north of sunny cove beach have access through two houses on Geoffroy drive. They let it overgrow with weeds because the owners don't like scumbags ruining their view. It's usually filled with piss and poo poo and it's an extremely steep climb down but only for about 10 feet. The cliffs have very good surf perch fishing. Generally better than surfcasting but it's much more dangerous due to the waves and slippery cliffs. The mussel beds are decent bait but the pile worms that live in them are amazing bait. Very tough and stay on the hook almost as good as squid. A weak bleach solution on a bed of mussels will boil up with the worms. Please use a very weak solution it's all it takes. The worms bite too. The cliffs also produce an amazing view with tons of wildlife. They also have Dungeness crabs (you snag them from time to time trying to steal your bait)but I havnt quite figured out how to drag a trap up the cliff without banging it up too much. Snare trap might work.

Wear good grippy shoes and tough pants because the rocks are pretty painful to fall on. Fingerless leather gloves also help. You will fall.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Rinse the reel and line of salt? You'll hate them much more when you pull that rod and reel out in 9 months and they're corroded to poo poo.

I've had the same surf combo since I was twelve and it is pristine. I am just filled with jealousy about how much fishing other people have done and all I've managed is a handful of forays to the small pond near my house. My fault, really. I'll just make a concerted effort to set aside time for it when the weather warms up again. When the shad are running in March, I will be ready.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I've had the same surf combo since I was twelve and it is pristine. I am just filled with jealousy about how much fishing other people have done and all I've managed is a handful of forays to the small pond near my house. My fault, really. I'll just make a concerted effort to set aside time for it when the weather warms up again. When the shad are running in March, I will be ready.
Yeah I just wanted to make sure to mention it, because it is super important. My brother left one of my lightweight rod and reels in the storage at my family's beach house. He only used it once to plunk in the little river delta off the rocks near the beach house - when I found it in the storage room 6 months later the reel was pitted all to poo poo and there was rust on the guides. This was an indoor closet-type storage room, not a shed exposed to the salt air. I've also personally tossed a leader with hooks and weights into a dry bucket, drove home, and the very next day, the hooks were so rusted that they got thrown away.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Got some questions for y'all.

I am looking into fishing as a fun thing to do. I did it when. I was a kid, but as an adult, it's new grounds. I live in the Pacific NW, but will mainly be doing fresh water fishing. Hoping to get Salmon (I love Salmon) but am down to try anything I catch really.

I will be looking at spin casting reels because I am completely new and it feels natural so far. I'd like to piece everything together instead of buying a bundle (I don't know how reliable Shakespeare or Ready2Fish brands are). That way I also learn how to do basic maintenance. I've heard a lot about Zebco, so it seems good. Also Abu Dabi or whatever it is.

What type of set up should. I be looking at? Something that can handle Salmon eventually

Bait?

To my understanding it's hook with bait, then further up the line is some weights, then a bobber to let the line float right? Or should I just be using weights and bait?

Cast and then tease it in correct ? Don't just let the line sit?

How much experience would be needed to go on a fishing trip of some sort?

What would be a good filet knife set to get? I'm going to need to learn how to do that too.

What do you do with the guts and scales?

Edit: more questions

Are the trigger spin AST reels worth it? Or just go for the button?

I'm right handed. Should I be casting right handed and then switching grip and reeling it back in right handed?

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 20, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo boy you got a lot to learn. I'm going to highly suggest the first thing you do is find a charter party boat doing salmon fishing. Rent everything for the first time. Salmon fishing with good gear is quite a bit to jump right Into. You can also usually pay the crew to clean your catch for a tip.

Around here a trip costs about $100 maybe a little more if you need to rent. Your gear you need will be wildly different depending if you are trolling or mooching. Just be sure you wear layered gear and rubber boots.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What about for lake fishing or what not? I guess I can always move up to Salmon. I didn't realize it was so advanced :/

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Soulex posted:

I will be looking at spin casting reels

Don't bother. Even the best of the spin casters are complete poo poo. Get yourself a decent spinning reel, they're much easier to maintain and cast a hell of a lot smoother. Do as Lingcod suggests. Charter. Get an idea of what they're doing.

Soulex posted:

What about for lake fishing or what not? I guess I can always move up to Salmon. I didn't realize it was so advanced :/

Salmon are tricky. Just because you find them and know where they are, doesn't mean you'll catch them, even if they want to eat. If you have a bobber on your mind, start out small. Pick up some wax worms and go catch some bluegills! Hell, this is an afternoon of great fun, they fight like hell for their size.

E: I recommend picking up some size 8-10 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks for gills. The big ones are MUCH more likely to take small hooks, and you these hooks are great. I use 8-10 for gills and fish for shiners and chubs with size 14.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 20, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks guys. I'll look I to the guides. Seem like there are a lot around here and Steelhead is available for the winter.

How hard are open reels to learn on? Would a baitcaster be better?

I know this is odd, but I pan gold right now, and I'm kinda looking for something to do in tandem with it. Something I can bring my wife and son along with and have a nice day out you know?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Thanks guys. I'll look I to the guides. Seem like there are a lot around here and Steelhead is available for the winter.

I know this is odd, but I pan gold right now, and I'm kinda looking for something to do in tandem with it. Something I can bring my wife and son along with and have a nice day out you know?

The trick behind open reels is half learning how to wind the line on evenly and half how to keep tension on the line with your thumb when you let it out. A bait caster is certainly easier and is just fine for starting.

Yah shore based fishing for bottom feeders sounds like just the ticket. You can get a rod holding spike and bell for a basic fishing pole so you can pan for gold and then be alerted when something bites.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Soulex posted:

Discard them? I usually gut and descale them by the lake and just throw the stuff into deep water. It will sink and become fishfood. Alternatively leave it on top of a rock and the gulls take care of it. But depending on where you live it might not be a good idea to subsidize gulls further. Also maybe not a good idea if you have bears around.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Soulex posted:

Spinning reels are an absolute joke to learn. There's really nothing to them.

Generally I use spinning reels for anything under 2 oz and my bait casters for anything over 2 oz. Bait casters cast heavier baits REALLY well, while a spinning rod will usually outcast very light baits (I couldn't cast a 1/4 oz lure on my bait caster to save my life, but I'll cast a 2 oz lure twice as far with it).

LingcodKilla posted:

The trick behind open reels is half learning how to wind the line on evenly and half how to keep tension on the line with your thumb when you let it out. A bait caster is certainly easier and is just fine for starting.

Yah shore based fishing for bottom feeders sounds like just the ticket. You can get a rod holding spike and bell for a basic fishing pole so you can pan for gold and then be alerted when something bites.

I think what Lingcod meant to say was "bait caster"

Falukorv posted:

Discard them? I usually gut and descale them by the lake and just throw the stuff into deep water. It will sink and become fishfood. Alternatively leave it on top of a rock and the gulls take care of it. But depending on where you live it might not be a good idea to subsidize gulls further. Also maybe not a good idea if you have bears around.

You really shouldn't do this. Throwing fish waste back into the water is actually illegal in a lot of states. Not saying it's bad otherwise, but don't get caught.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ironsolid posted:

You really shouldn't do this. Throwing fish waste back into the water is actually illegal in a lot of states. Not saying it's bad otherwise, but don't get caught.

Good to know, i fish at a large lake in Europe where this isn't a problem or against the law, as long as you don't do it near harbors or where people bathe. Had no idea it was illegal in some US states. Over here, throwing fish guts into the water is pretty much standard if you're a recreational fisher.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Falukorv posted:

Good to know, i fish at a large lake in Europe where this isn't a problem or against the law, as long as you don't do it near harbors or where people bathe. Had no idea it was illegal in some US states. Over here, throwing fish guts into the water is pretty much standard if you're a recreational fisher.

Something about US fishers suck or something, I don't remember.

Here's a better explanation;

quote:

This is an interesting question; one that my friend Capt Norm Bartlett explored thoroughly as he was investigating the adverse effects of chumming from a pollution point of view and whether chumming was (or not) a violation of the Federal Clean Water Act and/or state regulations.

At the great risk of demonstrating my ignorance, I believe the laws restricting pollution and littering are, IF STRICTLY INTERPRETED, against throwing fish carcasses back into the waters of Chesapeake Bay and tribs. Putting any animal wastes back into the water is definitely a violation of the Clean Water Act and contributes to non-source pollution especially in waters where there is an insignificant amount of tidal flow to disperse the decaying carcasses. Of course that decay uses oxygen, and in waters where dissolved oxygen depletion is often a problem, the fish and crabs vacate that area, and subsequently are unable to consume the carcasses, or they die of low DO. Very unhealthy water quality there.

However there is nearly no enforcement against the practice. I think marinas are often criticized by local health if they do not dispose of fish parts which they call fish waste in accordance with health regulations. Crab packing houses and commercial fish cleaning must dispose of their fish waste, and are prohibited from returning it back into the water. And there are numerous examples, all of which center around the theme that once the seafood is harvested and is processed on land, any waste must not be returned to the waters of Ches Bay or tribs.

Interestingly, if you take that fish carcass and hang it by a string off your pier, then it becomes crab bait. If you put that carcass into a minnow trap it becomes minnow bait. If you grind it up and mix it with menhaden oil or ground menhaden you could use it as chum. And there is nothing illegal about doing it that way.

Another much more egregious practice is done frequently by pound netters when they dump their nets of dead or almost dead (certainly dying) fish that are not marketable. It's perfectly legal but certainly creates a short term pollution problem. In some instances the stench is horrible. It also contributes to non-source pollution but neither the Md DNR nor the MD Dept of Environment are willing to curtail that practice.

And so it goes. The Amish chop up their fish carcasses and use them as plant fertilizer. When crab packing houses on the Eastern Shore of Md, tried to dispose of their crab wastes, they were turned away by the local landfills, and had to find property owners that were willing to spread the wastes on their field or bury it on private property. We're talking tons of waste per week.

So in quantity, fish carcasses are a animal waste disposal problem. A single fish carcass not so much. And you could probably get away with throwing them back overboard but as you can see, doing so might create a controversy especially if it's not your own shoreline. The water however is everybody's resource to use and to protect .

I'm going to do some more research and try to find a law or regulation that is on point. I have learned that the best way to dispose of fish waste is to decompose it. Every marina waste management program recommends that practice and both the EPA and MD Dept of Environment endorse composting or a similar action.

The guy that knows this, chapter and verse, is Capt Dennis Fleming, aka Fishamajig.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just check the law on on fishing for crawfish and you have bait for them!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Whats a good beginner's bait-casting reel? Want to get one for bass and running spinners around piers where the accuracy will help. Im also looking for a rod to match, I need a 2-piecer and am looking to throw 1/4-3/4oz lures. My budget is around $200-300 but can stretch it a bit if needed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I used the same Abu Garcia ambassador reel rated for 14lb test for 25 years before it died last season. I did everything from mooching for salmon, jigging for halibut and lingcod to actually throwing lures for freshwater bass and trout. Since I mostly do salt water though I'm replacing it with a Avet ex 5.3 "mc" as my do everything reel. It's super sexy and has a wonderful oversized crank.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I used the same Abu Garcia ambassador reel rated for 14lb test for 25 years before it died last season. I did everything from mooching for salmon, jigging for halibut and lingcod to actually throwing lures for freshwater bass and trout. Since I mostly do salt water though I'm replacing it with a Avet ex 5.3 "mc" as my do everything reel. It's super sexy and has a wonderful oversized crank.

I'm planning on getting a 6601 or two or three next year. Really looking forward to having two on my yak.

bunnielab posted:

Whats a good beginner's bait-casting reel? Want to get one for bass and running spinners around piers where the accuracy will help. Im also looking for a rod to match, I need a 2-piecer and am looking to throw 1/4-3/4oz lures. My budget is around $200-300 but can stretch it a bit if needed.

If you're looking for a smaller bait caster than is smooth and ultimately just wonderful, I use; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5EGOIS/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_i1

I love this thing, it casts like a drat dream. Only thing I would be cautious in regards to this thing is; you can't put all of the line in the store on it. You're limited to X amount of yards pending thickness, where as the ambassadeurs have much larger spools. Remember if you find a Abu Garcia rod that is a righty and you demand a lefty, add a 1 to the model number! (I hate right reeling)

Here's an Ambassadeur

6600 (Here's a 6601, I'm biased, sorry)
http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Am...mbassadeur+6601

http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Am...mbassadeur+6501

As far as the rod goes, I'm completely and utterly done buying two piece rods. They are more prone to breaking because no one else in your house knows how to NOT MOVE YOUR GOD drat RODS and they put them so they're resting on the eyes of the rods instead of on the nightstand you use in the room the kids aren't even allowed to go into because the kids were in the room.

WHAT?

Get a 6'6", bare minimum rod, med-heavy to heavy rod and avoid fast action rods.

I posted a bunch about yakking some time ago... Well, my buddy got a yak and spent many dollars on this yak used. Used is used, warranties non transferable, etc. He's got this rod holders sitting behind him that, granted, could be use for trolling, but he would never know if he got a bite or maybe if he ever tips the drat thing his rods will be lost forever into oblivion because frankly these drat rod holders don't have anything to secure his rods - at all.

Oh he never listens to me.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A yak for the half moon area is my next major purchase. gently caress boat ownership.

Yeah that sTX would be an awesome first "nice" reel. The price point is pretty good for what you get.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

A yak for the half moon area is my next major purchase. gently caress boat ownership.

I want to get a canoe at some point, I really like canoeing and it could make fishing the deep reservoirs around here better.

Float tube is the more traditional fly fisher option but I'm not sure I'm that hardcore.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah that sTX would be an awesome first "nice" reel. The price point is pretty good for what you get.

If you're referring to the Daiwa, it's amazing. The price is great for the reel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ironsolid posted:

If you're referring to the Daiwa, it's amazing. The price is great for the reel.

Daiwa feel kinda cheep to me. I know some people like them and they are considered good. I was talking about the Abu Garcia.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ironsolid posted:

I'm planning on getting a 6601 or two or three next year. Really looking forward to having two on my yak.

If you're looking for a smaller bait caster than is smooth and ultimately just wonderful, I use; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5EGOIS/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_i1

I love this thing, it casts like a drat dream. Only thing I would be cautious in regards to this thing is; you can't put all of the line in the store on it. You're limited to X amount of yards pending thickness, where as the ambassadeurs have much larger spools. Remember if you find a Abu Garcia rod that is a righty and you demand a lefty, add a 1 to the model number! (I hate right reeling)

Here's an Ambassadeur

6600 (Here's a 6601, I'm biased, sorry)
http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Am...mbassadeur+6601

http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Am...mbassadeur+6501

It seems like most of the bass guys around here use low-profile reels, no idea why. On a purely superficial level, I think they look all cool and spaceshipy and I like the idea of fishing with a spaceship.

Ironsolid posted:

As far as the rod goes, I'm completely and utterly done buying two piece rods. They are more prone to breaking because no one else in your house knows how to NOT MOVE YOUR GOD drat RODS and they put them so they're resting on the eyes of the rods instead of on the nightstand you use in the room the kids aren't even allowed to go into because the kids were in the room.

WHAT?

Get a 6'6", bare minimum rod, med-heavy to heavy rod and avoid fast action rods.

Hah, I want 2-piece rods so I can keep them in my car without worrying about breaking them. That and I travel a lot and want to start bringing them with me.

Ironsolid posted:

I posted a bunch about yakking some time ago... Well, my buddy got a yak and spent many dollars on this yak used. Used is used, warranties non transferable, etc. He's got this rod holders sitting behind him that, granted, could be use for trolling, but he would never know if he got a bite or maybe if he ever tips the drat thing his rods will be lost forever into oblivion because frankly these drat rod holders don't have anything to secure his rods - at all.

Oh he never listens to me.

Yeah, when I stick a rod back there I 100% keep it tethered. I am holding off messing with my current yak too much as I plan on upgrading to a peddle one some time this winter. I am going to add a rocket launcher to one of the back flushmounts one of these days though.

Back to rods and reels:

I have been very good about not freaking out and buying a ton of gear before I knew what I was doing. I still dont know what I am doing but it is time to start the freak out! Here is what my general "unified rod/reel plan" is. The first two I already own.
  • Ultra LW spinning rod, 5'6", with a tiny rear end Okuma reel. I use it for bluegills, perch, and to throw small spinners and ned rigs at bass. At some point I am going to buy a tiny little rod to swap out with when I want to hike with it.
  • Short M spinning rod, 4'6", with a medium Okuma reel. This is my "main" reel now and it is pretty crappy for everything but pier fishing and it isnt super great for that. It is going to become my second pier rod once I get a proper one.
  • Long-ish MH rod, maybe 7'-8', with a TBD bait-feeding reel. This is going to be my pier rod, which will be the bulk of my winter fishing. I was all set to get an Okuma reel but the lure of getting a Shimano one instead. I might get a baitcasting rod instead as that seems more suited to throwing heavy weights accurately and then dragging a big ol cat out of the weeds.
  • Medium action rod, 6'-7', with a baitcasting reel. This will be my bass rod and my non-trolling yak rod. I do a lot of fishing around docks and need something I can throw 1/4-3/8 spinners with good accuracy.
  • A matched set of M rods for kayak trolling for stripers and blues on the Chesapeake bay. Local opinion seems divided over spinner/casters, I have until spring to really decide.

I am ready to buy the baitcaster and pier rod as soon as I figure out what the gently caress I really want.

EDIT:
Look at this bastard, I could pick up mad space-chicks in this thing:

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 21, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

If it's pier, I'd go with an Ambassadeur - either one of them!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ironsolid posted:

If it's pier, I'd go with an Ambassadeur - either one of them!

Oh, I was rambling about two different rods. I want a starship reel for a bass rod and then something for a heavy pier/cat rod. I think a casting reel makes sense for that but I have never seen anyone around here pier fishing with a casting rod.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

bunnielab posted:

It seems like most of the bass guys around here use low-profile reels, no idea why. On a purely superficial level, I think they look all cool and spaceshipy and I like the idea of fishing with a spaceship.

The main benefit of the low-profile reels IMO is the weight, they can be SUPER light, which makes casting smaller lures all day no problem at all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

The main benefit of the low-profile reels IMO is the weight, they can be SUPER light, which makes casting smaller lures all day no problem at all.

Small lures small fish. Go big( normal sized reel) or go home!

Actually also those smaller reels are made with more plastics and have a much reduced line capacity. I prefer the slightly bigger chunkier reels that can take a beating and can hold enough line to jig at 70+ ft depth.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

LingcodKilla posted:

Small lures small fish. Go big( normal sized reel) or go home!

Actually also those smaller reels are made with more plastics and have a much reduced line capacity. I prefer the slightly bigger chunkier reels that can take a beating and can hold enough line to jig at 70+ ft depth.

:psyduck:. I'm not a professional bass fisherman, but I doubt a lot of bass fisherman are jigging in 70 ft of water :). At least not successfully. I was replying to his comment:

quote:

I have two rods rigged with bigger baitcasters for casting bucktails/spoons and trolling bigger cranks for pike. Also another rig for long-line trolling walleye where line capacity is a must.

When I go down to the bass lake by my house in my waders I grab the low-profile reel 100% of the time because it's a lot less tiring and way more comfortable to cast with that all day than my clunky Abu C4. Not to mention it can actually cast soft plastics effectively where the bigger reels struggle(unless I was to put a lot lighter line on them, but then what's the point?).

But if you want 400 yards of 80 lb. braid to cast plastic worms 10-20 yards, then be my guest. Any of those small low-profile reels have more than enough power to handle just about any bass anyone here will catch(talking largemouth/smallmouth), heck, most of the smallmouth fisherman in MN use very lightweight spinning gear, and we have world-class small mouth fishing on lakes like Mille Lacs or on the Mississippi river.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I cant think of any fishing I would do from my yak that would put me in water deeper then 30-40'. Most of the reports from the Bay have people catching huge stripers in 4-12' of water, unless they are jigging by bridge pilings.

I am about to leave for a week or so for work and given my usual MO of "drunk late night hotel room purchases" I suspect I will have a new pier rod waiting for me when I get home. I am looking at a larger baitcaster now but the choices of 2-part rods is pretty slim.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I have a question concerning northern pike. I fish for pike alot in Sweden. And most often during summertime. Most expert fishers here claim that autumn offers better oppurtinities for catching pike than summer, together with spring being the best season to fish for pike. So says also every fishing book too. But i get the feeling that i'm doing something wrong because i have barely caught anything this autumn, while i had several good catches throughout the summer. It was the same story last year. I fish from a few spots, some are shallow and reedy, and some get deep fast.

So far this autumn i've caught one small pike, only once. I find plenty of perches, but where are the pikes at?

Worth mentioning that i fish exclusively from land.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 22, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah sometimes I forget not everybody isn't fishing in shallow water ocean fishing were you could hook anything from a 1lb gopher rockfish to 50lb halibut or lingcod while jigging a 2oz chrome bar.

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
I got to tag along on a deep drop trip a couple weeks ago. Bottom fishing as deep as 1200 was a whole new experience for me. Long tail sea bass, black belly rose fish, barrel fish, tilefish, and yellow edge grouper were the main catches. We also pulled up a wicked looking black-tail moray. Most fish dragged from that deep have pretty much exploded by the time they reach the surface. Everything I have eaten from the trip so far was top tier tasty.

Kid Golbez fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 22, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm guessing pacific off coast of Mexico?

Nice catch!

gently caress dealing with a moray.

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm guessing pacific off coast of Mexico?

Nice catch!

gently caress dealing with a moray.

Nah, Alabama gulf coast. Don't dream about this eating you tonight.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Soulex posted:

Got some questions for y'all.

I am looking into fishing as a fun thing to do. I did it when. I was a kid, but as an adult, it's new grounds. I live in the Pacific NW, but will mainly be doing fresh water fishing. Hoping to get Salmon (I love Salmon) but am down to try anything I catch really.

I will be looking at spin casting reels because I am completely new and it feels natural so far. I'd like to piece everything together instead of buying a bundle (I don't know how reliable Shakespeare or Ready2Fish brands are). That way I also learn how to do basic maintenance. I've heard a lot about Zebco, so it seems good. Also Abu Dabi or whatever it is.

What type of set up should. I be looking at? Something that can handle Salmon eventually

Bait?

To my understanding it's hook with bait, then further up the line is some weights, then a bobber to let the line float right? Or should I just be using weights and bait?

Cast and then tease it in correct ? Don't just let the line sit?

How much experience would be needed to go on a fishing trip of some sort?

What would be a good filet knife set to get? I'm going to need to learn how to do that too.

Edit: more questions

Are the trigger spin AST reels worth it? Or just go for the button?

I'm right handed. Should I be casting right handed and then switching grip and reeling it back in right handed?
State DFW page for wherever you're going will probably help. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/where_how.asp Washington has a DFW page as well, with maps, guides on rigging and methods, etc.

You should't spend more than a pittance for your starting gear. Spinners (edit: spinning lures) work good if you know how to use them however, they're also the most expensive and easiest stuff to lose on weeds and overhanging branches and snags etc, so don't spend TOO much time focusing on them until you've got your casting and retrieval practise down a bit.

I assume you'll mostly be fishing for stocker trout so the carolina rig is pretty useful - use two power eggs on a hook, or a marshmallow on a treble, which will float the bait up out of any bottom detritus. Bobbers work but they're boring and they don't work that great unless you know what you're doing - I was 35 before I even knew how to use a slide bobber for god's sake and I have caught hundreds and hundreds of trout in my life. I don't like using bobbers in a lead shorter than several feet which means it's kinda hard to cast and most fish are cagey enough to hang out on the bottom where it's harder for open-air predators to nab them.

As for casting, "trigger" spinning reels are really helpful and simplify things a great deal while you're learning. You can cast with either hand (if you use a large enough rod or get the technique down, you can use both hands for more distance), and if you wanna flip it over and switch hands, that's fine and dandy - whatever works best for you! :)

As for cleaning fish, a fillet knife is only necessary when you're catching pretty substantial fish, and in the PNW unless you hit a salmon or big-rear end bass you won't find much in clear water that's going to need a fillet knife.. When you do get around to filleting, I'd recommend a cheap wooden cutting board with a clip or nail to stick the tail of the fish to - it can help a great deal. As for the guts and scales, put them in a plastic bag, tie it off well, and then throw them away anywhere that's NOT NEAR YOUR OWN GARBAGE because good lord it'll get gross quickly.. Also split open the stomaches and see what is inside - it's a great way to learn what fish want to eat where you've been catching them.

Going on a guided trip is one of the absolute best ways to learn - just be sure to do a little research first, price check, and then pick the guide's brain - they generally will provide all the gear and can and will help clean the fish for you if you are new, and if you get a guide on a waterway which you plan on fishing again in the future, pepper him with dumb noob questions - if they aren't willing to answer questions to someone paying a couple hundred bucks for their expertise then gently caress them, they're assholes and make sure to post a lovely review of them so others will know it as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 23, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Falukorv posted:

FYI this may be illegal depending on the waterway. One IMPORTANT tip I'd add, is to pick up a copy of your state's fishing regs - they're laying around free in almost any store that sells fishing gear (except wal mart, never seen one there although I might be mistaken) and then bring it along. There are often special regs for individual rivers and streams and lakes and what's cool in one area might be a big no-no in another.. I have a cheap backpack I keep most of my day-use gear in, and I just slide a copy of the regs in there so I can double-check - it's really not that easy to understand WTF regs mean sometimes, and if you at least have a copy and get nailed by a warden, you might be able to beg off on the "I brought the regs and read them and was still unsure" line - but they also have hotlines for regulation clarification questions, and they're really useful.

(If you encounter a "marine protevtion zone" in the regs, easiest way to figure out where the zone begins and ends is to just type the lat/longitude coordinates into google maps.)

"Natural disposal" of guts is one of those things that might be a big no-no and which can and will change depending on where you go... If you're camping and gut a fish, throw it in the water or dig a DEEP hole far away from your campsite, it's not unlikely that it could attract a bear or something dangerous.

Disposing of fish guts is kind of like burning trash in a campfire - everyone knows you're not supposed to do it, many people ignore that and do it anyway. IIRC in Oregon/WA right now, disposal of fish guts at sea is against regs, despite it being the most logical place one would dispose of them. :downs:

edit: since you're in the PNW, here's a good and early tip: go to Bi-Mart. They've got some of the best prices, and their sporting goods people are generally sportsmen/women who can tell you what's been hitting and how, in the area. Everybody has pet theories though so don't take anything as gospel - lord knows how many people still think WD-40 cuts human scent and also attracts fish (it doesn't even contain fish oil anymore iirc)!

And don't start with a baitcasting reel unless you want to start in the deep end of the pool, learning-curve-wise. There's nothing more humiliating than turning a reel into a bird-nest in front of a bunch of other fishermen, and that is exactly what you'll be doing every third cast or more often, until you really learn to keep your thumb on it.. I'd like to own one with a depth counter but that's about the only reason I feel they'd be necessary.

If you want to get fancy with a spinning reel buy some braided line, and then put a leader of lower test mono or flouro line a few feet long to tie to hooks - when you get snagged you can just yank hard and break the leader and your main line won't take any damage - while mono line would stretch and weaken from the pressure.. And using Braid is like using a fighting kite when you're on a crowded bank - if you get a fish on and get tangled up with some nearby idiot's line - gently caress him, pull hard and fast and it'll shear right through it if he's not using heavier braid! :fuckoff:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 23, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I went fishing today!

Hit a little artificial lake by my house. My tackle was absolutely wrong for this.

Penn battle 4000 on a 6'6" medium-heavy rod with 25lb braided line. I found some 6# fluoro leader, however, and tied onto that. I had some spinning lure kits and whipped together a couple of willow blades and a colorado blade. The willows were #10 trebles and the colorado was a #6 treble.

I caught a green sunfish and a crappie. I literally could not tell when I had a fish on, as the gear I was using was more in tune with bull reds and doormat flounder than panfish smaller than my hand. It's also really hard to cast more than 15 yards with heavy line and 3/8oz lures.

I'm gonna go find some ultralight ultracheap rod to see if freshwater fishing is everything everyone says it's cracked up to be. I'm also gonna take some catfish bait and maybe a bobber next time, too.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Went up the local river and for the first time ever caught my bag limit of black bream in about an hour. Gotta be happy with that.

Now to decide how to cook them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I went fishing today!

Hit a little artificial lake by my house. My tackle was absolutely wrong for this.

Penn battle 4000 on a 6'6" medium-heavy rod with 25lb braided line. I found some 6# fluoro leader, however, and tied onto that. I had some spinning lure kits and whipped together a couple of willow blades and a colorado blade. The willows were #10 trebles and the colorado was a #6 treble.

I caught a green sunfish and a crappie. I literally could not tell when I had a fish on, as the gear I was using was more in tune with bull reds and doormat flounder than panfish smaller than my hand. It's also really hard to cast more than 15 yards with heavy line and 3/8oz lures.

I'm gonna go find some ultralight ultracheap rod to see if freshwater fishing is everything everyone says it's cracked up to be. I'm also gonna take some catfish bait and maybe a bobber next time, too.
You might toss in an extra 20 bucks for another reel and fill er up with 4-10 lb test as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

coyo7e posted:

Also split open the stomaches and see what is inside - it's a great way to learn what fish want to eat where you've been catching them.

Seconding this, it's really interesting what you can find inside a fish gut. I fish pike alot, and they're voracious predators, so it's always interesting to see what they've eaten. It's mostly small fish, and once i found a crayfish inside.

This summer though a guy found a big sausage partly still in its wrapping inside the gut of a northern pike.

When i was at a friends cottage by the river once we put out one of those chicken wire cages to trap fish. It caught some perches and one fairly big 3 kg pike. We gutted the pike, and inside where two fresh and undigested perches the pike had eaten presumably while trapped in the cage with the perches. Can't imagine a worse fate for a perch. The other surviving perches in the cage were lucky that the pike had it's fill after eating two. The surviving perches were thrown back alive and well as they were a bit too small to eat.