Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jackard posted:

Also that a metalbending novice is supposed to achieve a level of expertise that her own daughters never did.
ATLA was a show where young teenagers in a matter of months achieve a level of mastery that surpassed most adult masters. It can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Read posted:

Also she's the avatar so.

Baron Bifford posted:

ATLA was a show where young teenagers in a matter of months achieve a level of mastery that surpassed most adult masters. It can happen.
They pointed out in the show that the Avatar has mastered standard bending hundreds of times over, which isn't the case with metalbending. Also she can no longer receive the guidance of her past lives.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 21, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

They pointed out in the show that the Avatar has mastered standard bending hundreds of times over, which isn't the case with metalbending. Also she can no longer receive the guidance of her past lives.

The Avatar wasn't the only youngster attaining incredible mastery quickly in Last Airbender. And it might be a very different matter to bend something out of your own body. Also there's nothing saying Toph won't still end up giving either pointers or training.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
About halfway through the first episode where Korra metalbends she's dancing around with those wires and schooling two people who've been practicing metalbending most of their lives.

I think she's got this.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Korra's status as "the first metalbending Avatar" better come up in the finale, or so help me, I'm done with this series.

I think you'll be done with the series either way.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ATLA had some instances where it implied that the Avatar is inherently more powerful than a standard bender too. For instance, to enter the fire sages' temple required 5 firebenders or "a fully-realized Avatar" (I believe that's the line). I'm guessing the Avatar has some built-in advantages that Korra will be able to use when metalbending the metal out of her body.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think that's simply referring to the Avatar State, that a fully-realized Avatar can access at will.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I think that's simply referring to the Avatar State, that a fully-realized Avatar can access at will.

That's a fair interpretation, but I do still think there are natural levels of bending talent with the Avatar being typically much more adept than the average bender. I'm glad they've never outright stated this, as it gets into some midichlorians-level awfulness when a show starts assigning characters numerical power ratings.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It might just be an inherent feature of Wang's soul. She hasn't got his memories, but she's still his reincarnation, and Wang was an inherently talented bender of all elements.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheBalor posted:

It might just be an inherent feature of Wang's soul. She hasn't got his memories, but she's still his reincarnation, and Wang was an inherently talented bender of all elements.

Wang Fire is gone, but his burning spirit lives on within Korra. :kamina:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

That's a fair interpretation, but I do still think there are natural levels of bending talent with the Avatar being typically much more adept than the average bender. I'm glad they've never outright stated this, as it gets into some midichlorians-level awfulness when a show starts assigning characters numerical power ratings.

I agree about the different levels of bending. I think they've strongly hinted at this in the past: apparently only one in a hundred earthbenders can metalbend, and didn't Pakku say that Katara was the best student he ever taught or something? Azula and Korra were both considered to be prodigies and Aang was the youngest Airbending master ever (at least until Jinora), while Zuko never really reached the bending heights of his relatives (in the original series at least). We haven't really seen low-level bending talent because both Avatars have tended to hang out with talented benders.

I do wonder whether that's typical for the Avatar though. Roku hadn't distinguished himself in any apparent way before he became Avatar, and it was emphasized that Wan's uniqueness was more in his personal qualities than in his bending. From what we saw only Aang and Korra really showed themselves truly gifted in their bending abilities.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sato posted:

We haven't really seen low-level bending talent because both Avatars have tended to hang out with talented benders.
There's really two options here. Either look at it as destiny that the Avatar attracts prodigies, or accept that the Avatar and the people they are closest to are going to be exceptionally talented because that allows for more dynamic and intense action sequences.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's really two options here. Either look at it as destiny that the Avatar attracts prodigies, or accept that the Avatar and the people they are closest to are going to be exceptionally talented because that allows for more dynamic and intense action sequences.

I have to admit, I kind of love the idea of an Avatar struggling to master the elements/Avatar State who surrounds himself with loser benders in order to make himself look better in comparison.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sato posted:

We haven't really seen low-level bending talent because both Avatars have tended to hang out with talented benders.

We have. What about all those random Fire Nation soldiers in TLA that only seem to be able to produce piddly fire blasts with the accuracy of a Stormtrooper?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

We have. What about all those random Fire Nation soldiers in TLA that only seem to be able to produce piddly fire blasts with the accuracy of a Stormtrooper?

All the main characters are secret bloodbenders so the soldiers never had a chance. :colbert:

I did actually think of two: the two mooks Bolin recruited to the Fire Ferrets in season 2. They aren't exactly significant characters though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Immediate impressions of the game - It takes a bit too long to start giving you your toolset. I was half an hour past the tutorial before i even unlocked bending, and I still just have waterbending an hour in. It won't matter past the first play through, but it's a little annoying.

Past that, though, I can still start to see the potential for rad combos come through. Being a budget title, it's obviously gonna be more limited than Bayonetta or W101, but there's more here than a cheap effortless cash in. Parry counters don't feel as great as in Revengeance, but still feel really good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Korra's got disabling mercury fragments inside her?

Wellp, she's just gonna have to deal with it. :v:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Geez, Toph, just give poor Korra a sedative.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

I would say that both series allowed us to see at least one bender go from "average" to "great", Katara in ATLA and Bolin LOK.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Korra just needs to regain her self esteem and confidence by the next episode and accept her responsibility as the Ahvtar.

Basically, she has to do an Aang this time, not something she had to deal with throughout the first three seasons.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Bolin was never average. He was a sports star from his first appearance.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pomp posted:

Immediate impressions of the game - It takes a bit too long to start giving you your toolset. I was half an hour past the tutorial before i even unlocked bending, and I still just have waterbending an hour in. It won't matter past the first play through, but it's a little annoying.

Past that, though, I can still start to see the potential for rad combos come through. Being a budget title, it's obviously gonna be more limited than Bayonetta or W101, but there's more here than a cheap effortless cash in. Parry counters don't feel as great as in Revengeance, but still feel really good.

I completely forgot that that was coming out today.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jackard posted:

Also that a metalbending novice is supposed to achieve a level of expertise that her own daughters never did.

Her daughters were, I assume unknowingly, fighting against the avatar for the entire time they were trying to get the metal out, which is why they couldn't do it. When Korra fully accepts that she wants the metal out then it would be much easier task.

Toph seemed not to want to help her get the metal out mostly as she new if even if she did Korra would still would be having an eternal battle with her fears, that would be holding her back, so better to give Korra a goal to work towards, then do it then just give her a simple soultion that didn't help with the underlying problem.

Sort of like when she was training Aang she just made him face the problem head on until he could do it, she's treating Korra exact same way. Earth benders can be helpfully jerkish like that I guess.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I would say that both series allowed us to see at least one bender go from "average" to "great", Katara in ATLA and Bolin LOK.

Katara was never average, just untrained. When she finally found a teacher she became a master in a matter of weeks/months.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Bolin was never average. He was a sports star from his first appearance.

He was also hampered by his life on the streets: no bending master to train him and no exposure to traditional earthbending. He'll never be Toph but he picked up pretty quickly over the series and did pretty well against Ghazan and co despite no formal training.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dr_rat posted:

Toph seemed not to want to help her get the metal out mostly as she new if even if she did Korra would still would be having an eternal battle with her fears, that would be holding her back, so better to give Korra a goal to work towards, then do it then just give her a simple soultion that didn't help with the underlying problem.
That's exactly what my surgeon told me when I went to him complaining about my appendicitis. It's a purely psychological issue!

uncleKitchener posted:

Korra just needs to regain her self esteem and confidence by the next episode and accept her responsibility as the Ahvtar.
Korra never once shirked her responsibilities as the Avatar.

quote:

Katara was never average, just untrained. When she finally found a teacher she became a master in a matter of weeks/months.
She also figured out bloodbending without ever actually taking a lesson from that old woman.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

That's exactly what my surgeon told me when I went to him complaining about my appendicitis. It's a purely psychological issue!

Korra never once shirked her responsibilities as the Avatar.

She also figured out bloodbending without ever actually taking a lesson from that old woman.

The problem is that this largely is a psychological issue. I think Toph understands that while the metal is messing with Korra, it isn't her biggest problem. If she took out the metal herself and Korra still couldn't get back to her old form it would probably cause her to fall into despair.

Forcing Korra to do it herself means that Korra will have to be introspective, and when she is ready she will remove the metal herself which will hopefully reinforce the positive changes she is trying to make.

Or she is just a jerk. Could be that.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Caros posted:

The problem is that this largely is a psychological issue. I think Toph understands that while the metal is messing with Korra, it isn't her biggest problem. If she took out the metal herself and Korra still couldn't get back to her old form it would probably cause her to fall into despair.

Forcing Korra to do it herself means that Korra will have to be introspective, and when she is ready she will remove the metal herself which will hopefully reinforce the positive changes she is trying to make.

Knowing Toph, it's probably both. :haw:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Being a jerk is how Toph shows affection.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reviews of the game are coming in, opinions are decidedly mixed.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Caros posted:

The problem is that this largely is a psychological issue.
"Long-term exposure to mercury vapors can ravage the nervous system and cause symptoms that may begin with loss of appetite, poor mental focus or “brain fog”, fatigue, insomnia, and changes in behavior or personality, such as becoming more nervous, excitable or shy." (Source)

I think it's precisely the mercury poisoning that is causing Korra's psychological troubles, not some personal failure.

Caros posted:

I think Toph understands that while the metal is messing with Korra, it isn't her biggest problem. If she took out the metal herself and Korra still couldn't get back to her old form it would probably cause her to fall into despair.
If you have mercury in your body, IT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM. If Toph doesn't remove it quickly it will cause irreparable damage, if it hasn't already.

Caros posted:

I don't know what sort of changes she has to make. All of her psychological issues are rooted in her physical infirmity, which is entirely caused by the mercury.

Caros posted:

She is a jerk. She is also 1) not a physician and 2) a crazy swamp-dwelling hermit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrAristocrates posted:

Reviews of the game are coming in, opinions are decidedly mixed.

Sounds like every Platinum game ever so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Sounds like every Platinum game ever so far.

Except like, all of them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

"Long-term exposure to mercury vapors can ravage the nervous system and cause symptoms that may begin with loss of appetite, poor mental focus or “brain fog”, fatigue, insomnia, and changes in behavior or personality, such as becoming more nervous, excitable or shy." (Source)

I think it's precisely the mercury poisoning that is causing Korra's psychological troubles, not some personal failure.

If you have mercury in your body, IT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM. If Toph doesn't remove it quickly it will cause irreparable damage, if it hasn't already.

I don't know what sort of changes she has to make. All of her psychological issues are rooted in her physical infirmity, which is entirely caused by the mercury.

She is a jerk. She is also 1) not a physician and 2) a crazy swamp-dwelling hermit.

It's not mercury, it's an unknown fictional metal. It can do w/e the writers want it to. The metal is there pretty clearly as a metaphor for Korra's mental issues. Once she resolves those she'll be able to remove the metal easily.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Whatever it is, it's still the root of her problems.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Toph gettin' soft in her old age.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Metal as Metaphor would be a great name for a critical analysis of depictions of illness in the Avatar series in the style of Susan Sontag.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

It's going to be both because this is a not only TV show and TV shows love easily solved mental problems, but a TV show with a heavy spiritual bend and focus on personal growth and all that. You can't get much spirituality out of "We took the mercury out and now you're all better!"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Genocyber posted:

It's not mercury, it's an unknown fictional metal.

There is 0 evidence for this claim.
I mean, there's no evidence that it's mercury, but the Korra world does have platinum and that liquid metal acts and looks exactly like mercury.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

thexerox123 posted:

There is 0 evidence for this claim.
I mean, there's no evidence that it's mercury, but the Korra world does have platinum and that liquid metal acts and looks exactly like mercury.

What's a lethal dose of mercury? That was a lot of mercury. She should be a vegetable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

GigaPeon posted:

What's a lethal dose of mercury? That was a lot of mercury. She should be a vegetable.

She's also the Avatar.

• Locked thread