Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Skooma is a helluva drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

scarycave posted:

Skooma is a helluva drug.

Yep makes you think you're nice and safe ... till you start hallucinating

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

JoJo's Bizzare Championship.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's a version of that gif where he gives a thumbs-up, I'm sad to find out it's not the original.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Here's a thing that can happen in The Evil Within apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TSp7uU--g&t=16s

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dammit Alistair, you're doing that thing behind my back again, aren't you?

Reive
May 21, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

It's actually just the Pc version with god mode enabled in console apparently.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Dead Space 3 did it better

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This one's not technically a glitch, King's Bounty is an RPG where you have to find a sceptre that the king lost at a random location anywhere in the very large game world. This run used luck-manipulation to ensure the sceptre was right next to the start location.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Sorry for no sound....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkVjSisA1gs

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Chamale posted:

This one's not technically a glitch, King's Bounty is an RPG where you have to find a sceptre that the king lost at a random location anywhere in the very large game world. This run used luck-manipulation to ensure the sceptre was right next to the start location.
Technically could you just keep restarting the game until that happened, not even manipulating the games 'RNG'?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Croccers posted:

Technically could you just keep restarting the game until that happened, not even manipulating the games 'RNG'?

So long as you pressed different buttons on the controller each time, yes.

That's basically what they did - wrote a short script to test all possible permutations of RNG in the first nine frames.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Croccers posted:

Yes, that's how luck-manipulation works. All videogames have a random-number generator that creates random numbers based on some seed, like recent button presses or perhaps the current time. By using savestates to repeatedly test different seeds, it's possible to find a set of inputs that leads to exactly the outcome you want from the RNG.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

Yeah I know, it was more on the topic of "fast speedruns."

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
http://tasvideos.org/3080S.html

A speedrun of sorts for NetHack. It uses luck manipulation to ensure that the player basically trips over an unaligned artifact weapon on the starting square (Good/Neutral/Evil artifacts are semi-intelligent and smite players of other alignments if wielded) and instantly dies before the game can accept an input.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chamale posted:

Yes, that's how luck-manipulation works. All videogames have a random-number generator that creates random numbers based on some seed, like recent button presses or perhaps the current time. By using savestates to repeatedly test different seeds, it's possible to find a set of inputs that leads to exactly the outcome you want from the RNG.
Consoles without a built-in clock don't actually have anything to base a different seed off of, so it's pretty much down to time and player input for changing it. I think most of the King's Bounty TAS is waiting for the RNG to line up with "Scepter is under the player's starting position". This is why TASes in general work, in fact: If you feed the emulator (and in some cases, a console) the same input, it'll always spit out the same results.

(TAses for PC games or later consoles have to include the starting conditions of the clock and such to remain consistent, of course.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zereth posted:

Consoles without a built-in clock don't actually have anything to base a different seed off of, so it's pretty much down to time and player input for changing it. I think most of the King's Bounty TAS is waiting for the RNG to line up with "Scepter is under the player's starting position". This is why TASes in general work, in fact: If you feed the emulator (and in some cases, a console) the same input, it'll always spit out the same results.

(TAses for PC games or later consoles have to include the starting conditions of the clock and such to remain consistent, of course.)

Yes, but some games on consoles without an inbuilt clock still base the RNG on time since the console was turned on. I made the single-player and two-player TASes of River City Ransom, and manipulating luck in that game is tough because it's largely based on the current frame count. Often the delay from luck-manipulating a minor event is longer than actually manipulating that. Manipulating AIs is slightly different, because they are based on certain factors, but the way an AI reacts can vary so dramatically. One of my favourite tricks in River City Ransom is to stand just within vertical range of an AI, so that moving downwards for a single frame right before an AI makes a decision can cause it to make a different decision. You can see this quite a bit in how the single-player run manipulates the AI to damage itself, since the player character is so weak relative to late-game bosses.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I can't find a video of it anymore, but a long time ago SDA had a Toejam and Earl run that was something like 7 seconds. The second the game started the player just fell off the edge of the world and won the game. It was so quick and absurd.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
With modern systems, you might not be able to rely on setting the time to seed the RNG. Some PRNG generators rely on environmental noise like system temperature, fan speed, and hard disk rotation to generate random numbers, which are for all intents and purposes impossible to replicate in the same combination.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dpbjinc posted:

With modern systems, you might not be able to rely on setting the time to seed the RNG. Some PRNG generators rely on environmental noise like system temperature, fan speed, and hard disk rotation to generate random numbers, which are for all intents and purposes impossible to replicate in the same combination.

If we're talking about TASes in virtualized or emulated environments, it should be possible to trap the system calls made to query those and feed in preset values.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chamale posted:

Yes, but some games on consoles without an inbuilt clock still base the RNG on time since the console was turned on. I made the single-player and two-player TASes of River City Ransom, and manipulating luck in that game is tough because it's largely based on the current frame count. Often the delay from luck-manipulating a minor event is longer than actually manipulating that. Manipulating AIs is slightly different, because they are based on certain factors, but the way an AI reacts can vary so dramatically. One of my favourite tricks in River City Ransom is to stand just within vertical range of an AI, so that moving downwards for a single frame right before an AI makes a decision can cause it to make a different decision. You can see this quite a bit in how the single-player run manipulates the AI to damage itself, since the player character is so weak relative to late-game bosses.
Yes, I was sayign that they use the same seed. Also, congrats, those are some nice TASes.

Speaking of glitches and going fast...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGkTiIVy0Fc

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I imagine this happening when a wrestler tries to dispute a call that ref made and then him doing that animation while saying "Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me?!"

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Oct 23, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
It's nice to have glasses that blood doesn't stick to.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Putting RainX on your glasses actually sounds like a pretty good idea in the Zombie Apocalypse.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was playing the new Tomb Raider when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6YSA1LmgY

Tomb NOT raided!

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Vic posted:

Tomb NOT raided!

Glitch or not, that was one :sicknasty: flip she pulled

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vic posted:

Tomb NOT raided!

God that was so annoying, it's a really common bug where the plane doesn't fall into place properly in that particular DLC (Tomb of the Lost Adventurer I think) and you cannot progress any further in it without reloading an earlier save.

That DLC is really, really bad value for money even when the whole thing works - it takes all of 5 minutes to complete.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Well, you know, at least the hair moves good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Che Delilas posted:

Well, you know, at least the hair moves good.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But that was undeniably lovely DLC and I can't believe that bug still occurs after all this time.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But that was undeniably lovely DLC and I can't believe that bug still occurs after all this time.

We got yo money now gently caress off. Fairly standard stuff unfortunately.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

i believe its from Mafia II

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Zyntherius posted:

i believe its from Mafia II

Silent Hills is looking better every day.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Finisher1 posted:

Silent Hills Archer is looking better every day.

jo588658
Oct 24, 2014

by Ion Helmet

uber_stoat posted:

LOL Imma go attempt this in game till I get it

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Well, that's how I mad the toy one I had as a kid fly anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will have a stage creator. Nintendo has already warned players that they'll have to be careful with that feature, because otherwise maps will become unstable.

:getin:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speaking of Smash... I don't know how to embed video from Tumblr's new video player (is it even possible?) so I'll have to link the post. lovely quality, since it's a cell phone recording of a 3DS screen.

http://palutenas-booty-game.tumblr.com/post/100707938734/has-anyone-recorded-this-glitch-yet-please-look

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Speaking of Smash... I don't know how to embed video from Tumblr's new video player (is it even possible?) so I'll have to link the post. lovely quality, since it's a cell phone recording of a 3DS screen.

http://palutenas-booty-game.tumblr.com/post/100707938734/has-anyone-recorded-this-glitch-yet-please-look

That is a horrible tumblr.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lizard Wizard posted:

That is a horrible tumblr.

What, you don't dig Palutena's Booty and Shine Bright like a Shota? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

What, you don't dig Palutena's Booty and Shine Bright like a Shota? :colbert:

Are you not a fan of Ky-Mani Marley's acting?