Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreatGreen posted:

I don't think I'd ever have the compulsion to design and build my own one-off keyboard though. Probably because if I did, I'd never want to use anything else.

Laptops are the sticking point for me. I think the stupid staggered typewriter style layout we use is terrible, but unless I somehow fall into a ridiculous amount of money, I can't ensure every laptop I own has the same design as a custom one I could build for my desk.

So I simply use a custom layout on top of the current physical layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

HalloKitty posted:

Laptops are the sticking point for me. I think the stupid staggered typewriter style layout we use is terrible, but unless I somehow fall into a ridiculous amount of money, I can't ensure every laptop I own has the same design as a custom one I could build for my desk.

So I simply use a custom layout on top of the current physical layout.

Yeah, switching muscle memory is the biggest hurdle with my main keyboard being an Ergodox. I've since come to terms with just minimizing the amount of change I need to do by having all my keyboards emulate the layout of either my MBP keyboard (which a Poker and software macros are great for), or my Ergodox (which really just means using an ergodox).

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.

Slowhanded posted:

Yeah, switching muscle memory is the biggest hurdle with my main keyboard being an Ergodox. I've since come to terms with just minimizing the amount of change I need to do by having all my keyboards emulate the layout of either my MBP keyboard (which a Poker and software macros are great for), or my Ergodox (which really just means using an ergodox).

What helped me get over my muscle memory was practicing with areas I didn't use all that much. Things like \-_=+:;'"[]{}. Doing typing test often also helped with relearning my muscle memory. I've never used a ErgoDox (although I do plan on getting one sooner or later), but I imagine the principle is the same.

On a side note: one of the things I love about my Rosewill and JD40 is that I can program them at the firmware level and not have to worry about the computer being able to change layouts. This isn't so big for the JD, but for the Rosewill I have a DVORAK layer that I can switch to if I want to experiment with it without having to set up the layout through windows/linux. My layouts are also stored on the keyboard and not the computer so I don't have to set it every time I go to a different computer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was in photo mode after some Craigslist posting.

My office standing desk. Cinder blocks on top of my grandpa's old desk he took from some naval base... rock solid, I don't have a stool or anything so I never sit at this thing, but I do move the keyboard for art and stuff. There's a cat space so they aren't constantly walking across the top part.

The tower is a $300 cheapo PC I tucked at one side. Not a PC gamer besides retro emulators so this is just for work and browsing. I sit at a computer at my job so after work I'm ready to be on my feet for a while.

Slightly beefier PC for XBMC and NES-Wii emulation, we keep the mouse handy for occasional youtube/movie trailer stuff when friends are over.
e: and a purple piece of felt taped on the front because I haven't figured out how to disable the giant loving blue ring around the power button

It took a while to acclimate to Windows 8 but when I'm writing or whatever I usually just sit out here in the living room now. I didn't stage the cat, they just follow me everywhere.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 16, 2014

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
I'm a big fan of the cat compartment on your desk.

GrandPapil
Jan 14, 2004
The Man

All of this is new within the last 2 weeks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hiyoshi posted:

I'm a big fan of the cat compartment on your desk.

I'm a bigger fan of the Calvin and Hobbes wallpapers.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Took a few photos with my phone's lousy quality camera. Usually those papers on the side would be all over the desk but I thought it would be preferable for you to actually see something more than just a pile of papers.

Overview:

Desk:

That's Cthulhu making sure I work instead of slacking off, accompanied by this lovely lady.

And the maps barely visible on the overview photo:

Both were printed 1932 but the measurements in them are from 1886 and 1887. I've got a bunch more waiting to be framed. All from places with sentimental value to me/my family.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 19, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007

suboptimal posted:

I'm a bigger fan of the Calvin and Hobbes wallpapers.

We have two cats, that one is girl cat Ripley but the other is an orange boy named Hobbes.

E: Neat maps! I make maps for a job and I've always wanted to track down some old ones.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have a terrible computer desk that was built without legs in mind, but I think I've made progress despite this. Ugly but functional is my motto - it's something I'd hope they could put on my gravestone. Pardon the terrible blurry photography and the odd weird lighting tweaks I had to do on the last one.

Here's what my compy and desk looked like in 2013:

Now back to 2012 for a full room picture, I hadn't yet removed the stupid top bit of the desk, or cleaned the crap off the mantelpiece:

Now today. Had to get a new TV (the screen is only about 7 inches smaller than the old one, but the frame makes so much difference - it weighs about a SIXTH of the weight of the old one), brought an old unused desk down for the TV, experimenting with putting the tower on top to dust it easier, and generally cleaned up:

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 19, 2014

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So I just discovered the Galant being phased out. I had planned on getting an L shaped model with extensions in the next few months to complete my home office but that doesn't seem to be possible any longer.

The thing that worries me about the Bekant is the lack of extensions. Their base L shape model looks like it will be a bit smaller that I want.

Are there any goon recommendations for a no bullshit simple L shape desk elsewhere that is a bit longer than the Bekant or should I just go ahead with getting a Bekant and throw in an extra side table or something?

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Bekant sturdiness, it looks like the underframe is as well built as the Galant was:

I mean, thats some serious frame for MDF to sit on. I'm hoping for the same extension options the Galant had though, not sure if those are a thing yet.

ellic fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ellic posted:

Regarding the Bekant sturdiness, it looks like the underframe is as well built as the Galant was:

I mean, thats some serious frame for MDF to sit on. I'm hoping for the same extension options the Galant had though, not sure if those are a thing yet.

It's where the legs attach to the frame you gotta watch out for. My galant wobbles because the top of the t leg only attaches to the frame at a single point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Does anyone have any recommendations for classy and/or minimalist desk speaker stands? I have a pair of AV40's that I love to stick on some sort of platform to class it up a bit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for classy and/or minimalist desk speaker stands? I have a pair of AV40's that I love to stick on some sort of platform to class it up a bit.

Yoga blocks, you can get a pair for 15 bucks, and in any color, including stuff like solid cork.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!
Just upgraded to a larger IKEA Galant desk and loving the extra space.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Nice BoC sticker.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

cleaned off my desk today

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

codo27 posted:

You missed a spot. Or two.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

codo27 posted:

Since thats an original 360 I'm assuming airflow isnt an issue as its already red ringed itself to death, right?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

its the girlfriends, it did before she brought it over here but she fixed it.
doesn't the flash bring out the dust real nice? what should I get to clean it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
A damp cloth?

Jesus Christ goons :psyberger:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know there are specific things out there for keyboard dust and Cheetos and such. Just looking for a recommendation

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

codo27 posted:

I know there are specific things out there for keyboard dust and Cheetos and such. Just looking for a recommendation

If you have a bunch of disposable income and hate the environment: Swiffer duster (Great for nooks and crannies like you have near the Xbox, but won't do much for your keyboard)

If you like the environment and are cheap: Washcloth, slightly dampened with water (or Windex, if you have tough gummy areas). Just turn the keyboard over and shake it out, then wipe down the keys. Canned air can also help blast Cheeto crumbs out of the keyboard.

If your keyboard is beyond saving with the last option, disassemble it, including all the keycaps. Soak the caps in hot soapy water, then remove the loosened gunk with a toothbrush. You may also get good results from a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. (You will go through a billion q-tips, though.)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Putting the keyboard in the dishwasher is not recommended.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I've been becoming a bigger fan of vinegar for cleaning lately.

Why yes, someone in my house IS Filipino, why do you ask?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Living like a poo poo a bit but working on cleaning it up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS
christ how do you people comfortably use a computer when you don't even have space to rest your elbows

I know I couldn't

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Kmlkmljkl posted:

christ how do you people comfortably use a computer when you don't even have space to rest your elbows

I know I couldn't

The stool actually helps my back pain immensely, I broke it a few years ago and couldn't find a chair that was both comfortable and didn't cause back pain after prolonged use (not being lazy, I have to sit there). It takes getting used to but as far as the arm rests I just kind of rest them on the desktop while I'm typing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Left setup is my girlfriend's, the right is mine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HalloKitty posted:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Try clicking it.

What are those things hanging under each left monitor? Speaker bar?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HalloKitty posted:

Someone should move to the other side of the desk, like looking at each other only opposite sides since you have the room.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

why is your girlfriend's keyboard encased in plastic?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

BoyBlunder posted:

http://youtu.be/QovRuqmROac?t=1m15s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Use a coaster, you slob.

God.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BoyBlunder posted:

It's the dust cover that comes with the keyboard. I'm using a rubber cover on mine though, screw getting crumbs inside, or indeed a beer.

Humerus posted:

Try clicking it.

What are those things hanging under each left monitor? Speaker bar?

Yeah, Dell sound bar, Dell monitors (at least the Ultrasharp range, not sure about others) have had a standard attachment for years on the back, and a power connector. I've got a really old sound bar, but it still works with the latest screens.

dev null posted:

Someone should move to the other side of the desk, like looking at each other only opposite sides since you have the room.

Yeah, it's possible, but you'd be facing away from the window, which might be annoying as hell when the sun is out (south facing window).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 30, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unless you have motor control of a baby or are Michael J. Fox, there's no excuse for getting crumbs and beer in your keyboard.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless you have motor control of a baby or are Michael J. Fox, there's no excuse for getting crumbs and beer in your keyboard.

I don't get crumbs in my keyboard because I have plenty of arm space :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

got my new ikea hipster desk today