Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sounds like a good idea to me. We already do the same thing for passports so it only makes sense to implement similiar mechanisms for the personal ID card, because that one gets increasingly accepted as a travel document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've got to be honest here, I was under the impression that we have some form of law or laws that would allow us to punish citizens that go abroad and, I don't know, do terroristy things. So while I get the point that people would want to pride themselves on being proactive rather than reactive, why are they opening the can of :can: with the identification of those people to begin with?

On a scale of 1 to Sherrif Joe Arpaio, the Verfassungsschutz seems to have been able to maintain a fairly non-profiley track record when it comes to extremist muslim groups so far, whatever happened to the whole concept of anklaging a person that is under the suspicion of plotting to commit a crime, regardless of the crime being in- or out of country?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
On the other hand, isn't it a bit lovely to do nothing when people join extremist Muslim groups here in Germany and then go off to the Middle East to blow up poo poo? It's a bit heartless to say "Ooh we are so sorry that one of our citizens killed twenty schoolgirls in your country because he thinks women don't deserve education, but don't worry! We will arrest him if he ever comes back!". We wouldn't like it if radical Poles wanted to commit terrorism here in Germany as revenge for WW2, and the Polish government did nothing to stop them coming here. The fact that neither Iraq nor Syria control their borders makes it very much our problem if we just let them leave the country.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Even accepting these premises - wouldn't it be a lot simpler for literally anyone involved to leave them their cards and instead flag the ID chip?
And as a bonus, it'd look like the 3rd Reich a bit less.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

Even accepting these premises - wouldn't it be a lot simpler for literally anyone involved to leave them their cards and instead flag the ID chip?
And as a bonus, it'd look like the 3rd Reich a bit less.

No, because it cannot reasonably be expected that other countries will check the electronic ID chip. That's why they go for the "Only valid within the Federal Republic of Germany" notice on the replacement card, which you consider to look 3rd Reich-ish.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A measure aimed to prevent people from leaving the country will not work once people have left the country.

Yes.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

A measure aimed to prevent people from leaving the country will not work once people have left the country.

Yes.

You seem to be under impression that all European borders are exclusively controlled by Germans authorities.

Maybe you should focus your outrage on a more wortwhile cause like the politicians testing the waters for revoking citizenships of militants.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we don't have some EU-wide coordination about border control?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

So we don't have some EU-wide coordination about border control?

I have been unable to find any EU related regulation or directive that requires other states to check the electronically stored information on ID cards during ID checks. Besides the voluntary fingerprints, the chip does not contain information that is not already written on the card itself, so it usually isn't necessary to check the chip itself.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So IF I was working on any kind of legislation in that regard, I'd probably work on that front.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
An issue with electronics/ID cards is that anyone can read that poo poo (you can buy the personal reader for 50euro or so which apparently does ~stuff~), so if someone got their hands on some cards and could access a lot of other information there would be privacy concerns.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The more important aspect is that there are other situations beside (non existent) border controls where you have to show your ID, in which the law enforcement personel does not carry RFID reading devices. You can even imagine situations in which the individual is controlled outside the EU, where it is unfeasible to enforce any kind of RFID standard.

I'm pretty sure that individuals will be able to appeal the exchange of their ID card before a Verwaltungsgericht.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wait, what? How does this even work?

Don't you need a passport& ID check to leave the Schengen area through an airport? How do you even get to the caliphate from Germany, if you're on a no-fly list? (asking for a friend)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

waitwhatno posted:

Wait, what? How does this even work?

Don't you need a passport& ID check to leave the Schengen area through an airport? How do you even get to the caliphate from Germany, if you're on a no-fly list? (asking for a friend)

You go to Turkey and when you're there you (illegally) cross the border to Syria. Because you don't need a passport to go to Turkey.

Randler fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 20, 2014

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I had no idea that we don't use a no-fly list in Europe. Maybe it's a good idea to finally get one, probably cheaper in the long run.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

I had no idea that we don't use a no-fly list in Europe. Maybe it's a good idea to finally get one, probably cheaper in the long run.

Ah Europe, famous land of liberty and civil rights

lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

lol

I've had it with your attitude, no more flights for you!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

lol

Are you seriously implying that it's not...? :psyduck:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

You're talking about implementing a no fly list, so, uh, yes?

Like I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying "we're not beheading infidels so you can't criticize what we do ever", if so you've made Dick Cheny proud. Are you saying "we're still better than the Americans" because if so no, actually now you're just as bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

icantfindaname posted:

Like I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying "we're not beheading infidels so you can't criticize what we do ever", if so you've made Dick Cheny proud. Are you saying "we're still better than the Americans" because if so no, actually now you're just as bad.

But there is no no-fly-list?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I think there's a looooooooooong distance between beheading infidels and the kind of civil society that Europe has painstakingly built over the past 60 years, but okay, let's ask another way: is there any country/region in the world that's a "land of liberty and civil rights"? Or are you just saying the whole world is simply hosed?

(If you were gonna say New Zealand or Canada, my instant counter would be that they get to look a lot cleaner because they piggy back off their respective big brother countries to do all the dirty work.)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm saying that you're fast approaching post 9/11 America levels of disregard for civil liberties

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying that you're fast approaching post 9/11 America levels of disregard for civil liberties

That's not possible we would have to use necromancers to resurrect Hitler to make that happen

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

That's not possible we would have to use necromancers to resurrect Hitler to make that happen

Probably happening as we speak somewhere in the bowels of Hell Bayern

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Torrannor posted:

On the other hand, isn't it a bit lovely to do nothing when people join extremist Muslim groups here in Germany and then go off to the Middle East to blow up poo poo? It's a bit heartless to say "Ooh we are so sorry that one of our citizens killed twenty schoolgirls in your country because he thinks women don't deserve education, but don't worry! We will arrest him if he ever comes back!". We wouldn't like it if radical Poles wanted to commit terrorism here in Germany as revenge for WW2, and the Polish government did nothing to stop them coming here. The fact that neither Iraq nor Syria control their borders makes it very much our problem if we just let them leave the country.

I don't really get this. If they're actively being terrorists, or you can prove they're about to commit crimes, lock them up, if not, where do you get off telling them they can't leave the country? I'm probably missing the context but from what I've read the whole plan just sounds like a way to gently caress with brown people (and sympathizers) requiring a lower burden of proof than outright incarceration.

I can't come up with a hypothetical situation where stopping people from leaving a country isn't hosed up, as long as they aren't in prison and don't have legal proceedings running against them.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vanadium posted:

I don't really get this. If they're actively being terrorists, or you can prove they're about to commit crimes, lock them up, if not, where do you get off telling them they can't leave the country? I'm probably missing the context but from what I've read the whole plan just sounds like a way to gently caress with brown people (and sympathizers) requiring a lower burden of proof than outright incarceration.

Except for the part where this is merely the extension of a long-established pre-existing practice with passports that was not aimed at loving with brown people.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I think you must have very little idea of how bad poo poo is in the U.S. if you think this is true. As a very basic matter, for instance, having lived in the U.S. for most of my adult life, I have learned as second nature to avoid the police. I would never talk to a police officer (or any law enforcement officer) in the U.S. or volunteer any information to them unless I or someone else was in real danger. I wouldn't ask them for directions or say a friendly hello or anything. It's just something you learn is a dangerous thing to do. You can't with a straight face tell me that this is the same anywhere in the E.U.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

eviljelly posted:

I think you must have very little idea of how bad poo poo is in the U.S. if you think this is true. As a very basic matter, for instance, having lived in the U.S. for most of my adult life, I have learned as second nature to avoid the police. I would never talk to a police officer (or any law enforcement officer) in the U.S. or volunteer any information to them unless I or someone else was in real danger. I wouldn't ask them for directions or say a friendly hello or anything. It's just something you learn is a dangerous thing to do. You can't with a straight face tell me that this is the same anywhere in the E.U.

Are you black or Arab?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eviljelly posted:

This was a thing that totally caught me by surprise when I first visited the US.
I like EU policemen. I feel safer when they are around. In the US, I quickly learned you best try to avoid them.
That's indeed a scary thing.

Germany feels much more like a society to me.

icantfindaname posted:

Are you black or Arab?
I'm really white. For what it's worth, I mostly was outside with a bunch of women, some of whom were foreign-y.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Are you black or Arab?
Nope. The instances of police brutality are normally against blacks, but cops in the U.S. are generally assholes to everyone - white, Asian, black, Hispanic, Arab, whatever. They believe themselves to be above the law, because they really are.

Cingulate posted:

This was a thing that totally caught me by surprise when I first visited the US.
I like EU policemen. I feel safer when they are around. In the US, I quickly learned you best try to avoid them.
That's indeed a scary thing.

I totally agree. I really love the U.S. in a lot of ways but I don't feel like they have this whole "civil society" thing figured out. For the record, while I do still have a lingering distrust of cops, I have never ever had a bad dealing with a German cop and for the most part they've been no ruder than the average cashier at the Rewe.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Germany feels much more like a society to me.
I'm really white. For what it's worth, I mostly was outside with a bunch of women, some of whom were foreign-y.

I would say it probably doesn't feel like much more of a society for the people whose civil liberties you're planning to poo poo all over. The only way your comment makes sense is if you only care about how comfortable you, as a white European, feel. So, in other words, welcome to the USA, pick up your passport at your neighborhood consulate, I guess

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I would say it probably doesn't feel like much more of a society for the people whose civil liberties you're planning to poo poo all over. The only way your comment makes sense is if you only care about how comfortable you, as a white European, feel. So, in other words, welcome to the USA, pick up your passport at your neighborhood consulate, I guess

*shrugs* I'm not white and I'm clearly a foreigner anyway because I don't speak German, so I definitely feel like an outsider here in Germany but I feel a lot safer and feel like people don't live in constant fear. In the U.S., I never felt like an outsider but I had to be constantly at alert. Things are different in Europe as a matter of kind, not just of degrees.

I'm not saying Europe is a paradise (I really dislike how bad customer service is in Germany, for instance), but you're way off base when you compare it to places that behead infidels or even to the U.S. when it comes to liberty and civil rights.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

I know being a white guy I'm on the sunny side of almost all of these situations, but I've heard the same from for example black american friends - that they feel better in Germany.

I'm not saying Germany or the EU are utopian paradises, that's really not a fair representation of what I said, of course there is so much bad stuff going on on the continent. But just comparing the US to Germany, I feel Germany is somewhat more of a civil society.

e:f,b

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I know being a white guy I'm on the sunny side of almost all of these situations, but I've heard the same from for example black american friends - that they feel better in Germany.

I'm not saying Germany or the EU are utopian paradises, that's really not a fair representation of what I said, of course there is so much bad stuff going on on the continent. But just comparing the US to Germany, I feel Germany is somewhat more of a civil society.

e:f,b

Yeah, for one thing black people in Germany don't have to fear some random schmuck walking before them suddenly drawing a gun and shooting them down because they felt "threatened by this obvious criminal".

Fake Edit:

As long as they don't have a nasty run-in with Neo-Nazis of course, but at least not every German has a gun and the will to use it, is what I'm getting at.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Well, after the Bundeswehr being poo poo, German intelligence being busy helping out the NSA, "extremists" losing their passport and the CSU even demanding that they lose their citizenship, what is left to say but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXs6-cgOP88

:v:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

System Metternich posted:

Well, after the Bundeswehr being poo poo, German intelligence being busy helping out the NSA, "extremists" losing their passport and the CSU even demanding that they lose their citizenship, what is left to say but...

:golfclap:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

And still, hundreds of American soldiers have deserted and gone into hiding in Germany. Fancy that. :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's a good thing that the CDU is a moderating influence on the CSU. I don't think they will allow the CSU to take away anybody's citizenship.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I started looking up which countries would get to keep their governments if only Bundesregierungen were deposed, but it turns out I'm too lazy. The guy is certainly not making a very well thought through demand, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Smirr posted:

I started looking up which countries would get to keep their governments if only Bundesregierungen were deposed, but it turns out I'm too lazy. The guy is certainly not making a very well thought through demand, though.

Pretty sure only Germany and Austria would lose theirs (Switzerland isn't in Europe).