Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't tell if I suck less at PvP in Dark Souls II or if people invading in NG just don't expect to go up against a Dark Estoc +10 buffed with Dark Weapon and wielded by someone who knows what the roll button is. I'm pretty sure I'm not playing particularly well but I haven't been defeated by an invader since, like, Lost Bastille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gologle posted:

Somewhere in the distance, a wild man in an onion helmet and the Elite Knight set looks up, and marches to his destiny armed with his Claw and Silver Knight shield.

Speaking of onion knights, apparently if you make your character fat at all (as in, not skinny/just muscles) the onion armor looks like you're wearing a sumo suit.

That would be great and I would love it, but unfortunately stuff clips through the onion gear constantly and it pisses me off to the point that I can't use it :(

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Harrow posted:

I can't tell if I suck less at PvP in Dark Souls II or if people invading in NG just don't expect to go up against a Dark Estoc +10 buffed with Dark Weapon and wielded by someone who knows what the roll button is. I'm pretty sure I'm not playing particularly well but I haven't been defeated by an invader since, like, Lost Bastille.

Probably both. Also, if you don't know, multiplayer is segregated between NG and NG+whatever. You'll find more people willing and able to fight after beating the game at least once.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Harrow posted:

While I'm pretty heavily in to PvP, this is pretty much my experience with invasions. Red invaders tend to be absolutely terrible, while bell boys and blue cops are ok. I figure it has something to do with how much of a hassle it is to get Red Orbs. I used to really be in to invading in DaS1, but I now get my PvP kicks on the bridge or belltowers.

I assume other dedicated PvP folks have moved away from red invasions too, leaving the scrubs behind. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Attestant posted:

While I'm pretty heavily in to PvP, this is pretty much my experience with invasions. Red invaders tend to be absolutely terrible, while bell boys and blue cops are ok.

Yeah, they all seem to just try to rush me down, no strategy at all. It's super easy to just poke them to death.

I haven't spent much time in either Belfry but I'm sure I'll get my rear end solidly kicked when I do.

EDIT: It's interesting to notice that the places where you're most likely to be forced into PvP are either really short and you won't lose anything but time for losing (Grave of Saints, Doors of Pharros) or entirely optional (Belfry Sol/Luna).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 22, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I had an idea for a build that was just a regular soldier using basic types of gear using the foot soldier gear from the FoFG. However, it somehow turned into using the crossbow two-handed as much as physically possible while using Pate's Spear as a backup for when things go south/I run out of ammo.

So that happened. The crossbow just looks so nice and natural when you're two-handing it, especially in the foot soldier gear.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Attestant posted:

While I'm pretty heavily in to PvP, this is pretty much my experience with invasions. Red invaders tend to be absolutely terrible, while bell boys and blue cops are ok. I figure it has something to do with how much of a hassle it is to get Red Orbs. I used to really be in to invading in DaS1, but I now get my PvP kicks on the bridge or belltowers.

I assume other dedicated PvP folks have moved away from red invasions too, leaving the scrubs behind. :colbert:

I don't bother doing serious invasions while red invading because 99% of the players are terrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Attestant posted:

Honestly I'm totally cool with most of the pvp being opt-in on the bridge instead of having some dickwraith waiting for you at the boss door or hiding somewhere to shoot you with poison arrows during the hardest part of sen's fortress :colbert:

Maybe as an in-between, they should give you an item for invading that sends you to a random zone of the game, so you can't prepare quite as much. That'd also make invading a bit more fun, and you wouldn't have to worry about which zone would have lots of people your SL to invade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe as an in-between, they should give you an item for invading that sends you to a random zone of the game, so you can't prepare quite as much. That'd also make invading a bit more fun, and you wouldn't have to worry about which zone would have lots of people your SL to invade.

I think I would actually bother invading if an item like that existed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I'm totally cool with most of the pvp being opt-in on the bridge instead of having some dickwraith waiting for you at the boss door or hiding somewhere to shoot you with poison arrows during the hardest part of sen's fortress :colbert:

But being hunted down by a dickwraith was the best part of Dark Souls!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I know you're being facetious, but turning human and immediately getting my rear end handed to me by some rear end in a top hat with Queelag's Furysword and +15 Pyromancies put me off of Dark Souls for like a year. :v:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a mod that will make the Herald shut the gently caress up?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

What, you don't like Bear Seek Seek Lest? :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sheep-Goats posted:

Push A a couple times when you talk to her?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bogart posted:

I know you're being facetious, but turning human and immediately getting my rear end handed to me by some rear end in a top hat with Queelag's Furysword and +15 Pyromancies put me off of Dark Souls for like a year. :v:

If it's any consolation, that archetypal guy probably kept invading into me and had a very similar experience. Turns out they didn't like being one-shot by magic either, who knew?

I am quite looking forward to a repeat.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 22, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Blue orbs do this but they don't work so :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coming back to Dark Souls II on PC has made me seriously reconsider my opinions of the game. I was pretty down on it at first, and now I can't really remember why. I'm really liking it this time.

So: when in NG should I do the DLC? I'm just about to finish getting all the Lord Souls. Is the DLC sort of a "do this right before the final boss" thing, or can I head there pretty much as soon as I unlock the entrances?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You could theoretically do the main branches right as you unlock them (you need a certain item for part of the Iron King one that you wouldn't have at that point in the game) but they seem to be balanced as something to do once you've beaten the entire game, final boss included. You don't have to start NG+ once you beat the final boss.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you can get to them you can do them. That said you may want to wait until the endgame to do them as some of the areas in there are really hard. Others aren't so bad.

I usually nip into them to grab an item or two then save the actual completion of them until after I have the Mist Heart or thereabouts.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Harrow posted:

Coming back to Dark Souls II on PC has made me seriously reconsider my opinions of the game. I was pretty down on it at first, and now I can't really remember why. I'm really liking it this time.

So: when in NG should I do the DLC? I'm just about to finish getting all the Lord Souls. Is the DLC sort of a "do this right before the final boss" thing, or can I head there pretty much as soon as I unlock the entrances?

Eh, as soon as you've got your +10 weapon and a roll you're comfortable with you can check them out. They can be done AFTER beating the final boss and thats probably when they SHOULD be done, but they got some fun toys in them so why not look round them early and steal what loot you can.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd wait to start the Iron King DLC until you've got the ashen mist heart, and at that point you may as well just wait and do them all one after the other then. Probably shouldn't go in before you have access to Drangleic but you can if you feel up to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool, thanks for the DLC advice everyone.

Also, one of these days I'm going to learn to stop making mage characters in Souls games. Well, except Demon's Souls. While I'm having a great time with a Dark Estoc +10 doing murder, I can't help but realize that my spells just don't have much utility that I couldn't get from a good bow, at least in PvE, and yet I've sunk tons of SLs into Intelligence, Faith, and Attunement for them. Maybe that'll change once I get some good AoE spells, but even then, unless Soul Greatsword one-shots the enemies it hits I'm pretty sure it'll leave me far too open to be worth using in any situation where I need AoE. I probably could do everything I'm doing now more easily with a quality build and a normal Estoc +10, and have more points in my Vigor and Endurance on top of that, but since I started with a Sorcerer I'd feel silly Soul Vesseling over to that and leaving that huge Intelligence and Attunement there doing nothing.

Well, I guess the Attunement could be useful for pyromancy, because Flame Swathe does do horrible things to the larger bosses I've fought. And the Intelligence would let me attune utility spells like Repair, but it's not like I couldn't have spiced those down anyway.

And I'm kind of dreading the DLC a bit because of that whole "every enemy has jacked-up magic resistances" thing. My current plan is to see how well my Dark Estoc and Fire Longsword do and, if they're not cutting it, just making a Raw Estoc and hoping for the best.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what invading as a Blue Sentinel does. For the most part it seems to try and keep you in the same zone, but I've ended up in all different parts of the game using cracked blue eye orbs.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just went through the DLC on NG using a magic dude and it was fine. I primarily used the Moonlight Greatsword with a Blue Fame as back up weapon/catalyst and primarily focused on melee and just used spells for support and pokes while I was at range. There were a few sections that were tough because of resistances, especially the second boss of the Iron King DLC magic smelter demon but overall it was fine.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Harrow posted:

Given that I've died to people in PVP repeatedly stabbing the air with the Estoc it's not necessarily all you. Before things like the washing pole are available that is kind of the goto BS pvp weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Given that I've died to people in PVP repeatedly stabbing the air with the Estoc it's not necessarily all you. Before things like the washing pole are available that is kind of the goto BS pvp weapon.

Oh, I don't think it's even partially me. It's either the invaders are horrible or the Estoc is insanely good. Or both.

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I just went through the DLC on NG using a magic dude and it was fine. I primarily used the Moonlight Greatsword with a Blue Fame as back up weapon/catalyst and primarily focused on melee and just used spells for support and pokes while I was at range. There were a few sections that were tough because of resistances, especially the second boss of the Iron King DLC magic smelter demon but overall it was fine.

It's not that I don't think I could get through using my hexin' build, just that I feel like the whole game would actually be easier for me if I was a STR/DEX build instead of an INT/FAI build with just enough STR/DEX to wield an Estoc. I'd have more HP and could just use a bow to poke things at range, with pyromancy to do big chunks of damage to bosses. Unless there are areas of Dark Souls II where almost every enemy has crazy physical resistance, it just seems like the path of least resistance.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Oh, I don't think it's even partially me. It's either the invaders are horrible or the Estoc is insanely good. Or both.

Bellbros grey phantoms are a mixed bag. You get a good mix of people who twink the gently caress out of a weaponset as early as possible to murder with and people who haven't got the slightest idea how to roll. If I could freeze soul memory without worrying about being soft banned I would stop earning souls at about 150k and just invade the bellfry all day and all night until the end of time. Go hang out there for a while and you'll get some good PVP experience.

Harrow posted:

It's not that I don't think I could get through using my hexin' build, just that I feel like the whole game would actually be easier for me if I was a STR/DEX build instead of an INT/FAI build with just enough STR/DEX to wield an Estoc. I'd have more HP and could just use a bow to poke things at range, with pyromancy to do big chunks of damage to bosses. Unless there are areas of Dark Souls II where almost every enemy has crazy physical resistance, it just seems like the path of least resistance.

Go 30/30/30 Attunement/Int/Faith and get the Southern Ritual band to make up the lost spell slots. Get 14 vit (that's the weight one, right?) and then pump strength up and look into a mastadon halberd or something similar with Flynns ring and the ring of blades. I'm pretty sure that with hex head + lion mage robes you can fit a catalyst, Drangleic shield, mastadon halberd, and a light infused weapon before you hit 120 SL. At 20 STR you can work with a claymore and infuse it.

Dex builds don't seem to work as well with spells but strength builds because of the higher strength scaling seem to do pretty well. The clubs are also viable options, especially the large club with it's S scaling making the most out of lower strength.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Go 30/30/30 Attunement/Int/Faith and get the Southern Ritual band to make up the lost spell slots. Get 14 vit (that's the weight one, right?) and then pump strength up and look into a mastadon halberd or something similar with Flynns ring and the ring of blades. I'm pretty sure that with hex head + lion mage robes you can fit a catalyst, Drangleic shield, mastadon halberd, and a light infused weapon before you hit 120 SL. At 20 STR you can work with a claymore and infuse it.

Dex builds don't seem to work as well with spells but strength builds because of the higher strength scaling seem to do pretty well. The clubs are also viable options, especially the large club with it's S scaling making the most out of lower strength.

It's interesting that DEX builds don't seem to work as well with magic as STR builds this time around. Does it have to do with weapon buffs being percentage based instead of adding a flat damage number now?

As for that build: that's basically what I'm working towards right now. I've got 25/25/25 ATN/INT/FAI with enough STR/DEX to wield an Estoc and the rest in VGR, END, VIT, and a little ADP because I'm paranoid about Agility and ATN doesn't raise it much. I'm looking at the character planner and realizing that with the equipment I already have and a Soul Vessel, I could easily switch over to having 40 STR, 15 DEX, more VGR and VIT than I have now with the same END, enough ATN to attune a few pyromancies (with the Southern Ritual Band +1) and maybe Repair if I'm worried about weapon durability. Then I could just use a bow like the Sea Bow or something for long-range poking and do more melee damage (to a wider variety of enemies, because if I'm not mistaken there aren't any entire areas where most enemies are physically resistant, right?) and with a much wider variety of available weapons.

Of course I only have one Soul Vessel right now so I probably won't try it until I get another so I can undo the respec if it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but right now I'm just having a hard time seeing what benefit heavy investment into magic brings in PvE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fly Molo posted:

That's what invading as a Blue Sentinel does. For the most part it seems to try and keep you in the same zone, but I've ended up in all different parts of the game using cracked blue eye orbs.

I need to bluecop more, its true. It never seemed to work very well, though. But I'll totally go back bluecop tonight and try.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Estoc is okay but the other rapiers are better due to having higher counter bonuses. They're good against really bad people for the same reason any quick weapon is; you can just spam them and people just won't dodge (or they'll repeatedly dodge towards you).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

It's interesting that DEX builds don't seem to work as well with magic as STR builds this time around. Does it have to do with weapon buffs being percentage based instead of adding a flat damage number now?

As for that build: that's basically what I'm working towards right now. I've got 25/25/25 ATN/INT/FAI with enough STR/DEX to wield an Estoc and the rest in VGR, END, VIT, and a little ADP because I'm paranoid about Agility and ATN doesn't raise it much. I'm looking at the character planner and realizing that with the equipment I already have and a Soul Vessel, I could easily switch over to having 40 STR, 15 DEX, more VGR and VIT than I have now with the same END, enough ATN to attune a few pyromancies (with the Southern Ritual Band +1) and maybe Repair if I'm worried about weapon durability. Then I could just use a bow like the Sea Bow or something for long-range poking and do more melee damage (to a wider variety of enemies, because if I'm not mistaken there aren't any entire areas where most enemies are physically resistant, right?) and with a much wider variety of available weapons.

Of course I only have one Soul Vessel right now so I probably won't try it until I get another so I can undo the respec if it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but right now I'm just having a hard time seeing what benefit heavy investment into magic brings in PvE.

The thing with magic builds is that you often end up with weapons with bad scaling (so that you don't lose anything by adding magic damage sometimes plus magic scaling) or weapons with innate magical damage of one type or another to synergize off of (you should try a Roaring Halberd with your dark build). Because dex scaling is often not that impressive this often means that dex weapons benefit more than strength weapons from infusions. However there are certain strength weapons that get very little or no scaling (Curved Dragon Greatsword, Dragon's Tooth) that do work very well with infusions. In short it's not strength or dex weapons that you buff so much as weapons with bad scaling that you buff. I always wanted to do a Crystal Magic Weapon Dragon's Tooth guy -- I'd likely stick a Magic Estoc or Magic Longsword in my left hand -- maybe a Magic Shotel.

Anyway, I suggest finishing your playthrough with your guy, then starting a fresh guy and trying your physical damage only strategy.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 22, 2014

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Harrow posted:

Yeah in NG+ people start to learn that they can't just keep their shield up 24/7, understand what stamina management is, and back step to avoid damage. Etc.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Estoc is okay but the other rapiers are better due to having higher counter bonuses. They're good against really bad people for the same reason any quick weapon is; you can just spam them and people just won't dodge (or they'll repeatedly dodge towards you).

Estoc is more beginner friendly because the R2 has a good sweep but I die an awful to 2H R1 spamming rapier users (mostly because I'm not that good, but when two of their combos kill me and it takes three or my comobs to kill them it is an uphill battle). Also it feels to me like the Estoc is about a foot shorter than it looks while the rapier is about a foot longer. With either weapon you end up landing a lot of shots you have no right to land though.

=====

E: King's Field 7 confirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZMceIv_UQ

raton fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

The thing with magic builds is that you often end up with weapons with bad scaling (so that you don't lose anything by adding magic damage sometimes plus magic scaling) or weapons with innate magical damage of one type or another to synergize off of (you should try a Roaring Halberd with your dark build). Because dex scaling is often not that impressive this often means that dex weapons benefit more than strength weapons from infusions. However there are certain strength weapons that get very little or no scaling (Curved Dragon Greatsword, Dragon's Tooth) that do work very well with infusions. In short it's not strength or dex weapons that you buff so much as weapons with bad scaling that you buff. I always wanted to do a Crystal Magic Weapon Dragon's Tooth guy -- I'd likely stick a Magic Estoc or Magic Longsword in my left hand -- maybe a Magic Shotel.

Anyway, I suggest finishing your playthrough with your guy, then starting a fresh guy and trying your physical damage only strategy.

Rather than this, I would say that a pure caster is going to be 40+ attunement, 50+ int for Crystal Soul Spear, and 30 Faith to hit a respectable dark/lightning scaling point. That leaves precious few points for other things, like my current mage is that with 18 Str/Dex to throw around a dark Berserker Blade with Dark Weapon in PVP. I think that also gives you enough for an infused wing spear which is a great light backup weapon.

If you go 30/30/30 and then build up to actually be able to use a straight physical weapon strength becomes the obvious choice because of the pure scaling, in order to put points into adaptability or health or endurance or even carryweight you're going to have to sacrifice one of the physical stats mostly. Pushing dex with the lowest strength to hold the weapons you want is going to do less damage by a mile than halfing magic with a strength build, and you can get ahold of the drat good strength scaling weapons alot earlier.

My 30/30/30 runs flynns ring with the Mastadon greatsword and a Dark infused wing spear with dark weapon. I can poke poo poo to death while blocking or go for broke swinging a big fuckoff sword with a dark buff that does great damage. Not amazing damage, not the best damage possible, but still great damage. At 16 weight I can switch the Mastadon GS/Halberd out whenever if one gets low and I can carry a boatload of infused utility weapons. Fire Berserker Blade, Lighting Wing Spear, Dark wing spear, dark longsword all waiting to be pulled out as needed. I'll do a few more magic infusions once I get him far enough to actually have crystal magic weapon.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Man, why'd they have to make the Witchtree Branch hang off your hip when you two hand your other weapon? Looks like I've got a tree growing out of my waist or something. It should hang off your back like the Sunset Staff damnit!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I've been rolling with a melu scimitar +10 and I get invaded constantly by these blue guys and I haven't lost in a while. I thought I'd be terrible at PvP, but the speed of the Melu Scimitar is so good that I almost never even get hit.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jaaam posted:

Man, why'd they have to make the Witchtree Branch hang off your hip when you two hand your other weapon? Looks like I've got a tree growing out of my waist or something. It should hang off your back like the Sunset Staff damnit!

Bring back sheathes

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Dark Souls 2 gets a prime spot in AGDQ 2015: right before Final Fantasy 7 on the last day of the marathon at about 1:45pm, which I imagine will be more like 4pm. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eB4mJA3DV5D_gYAEp2lLMXQqqTZLlQRJDsTQOOoVvR8/pubhtml

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Does anyone have a link to the dark souls 2 deadzone fix that was floating around a while ago? I just downloaded DS1 a couple of nights ago after reading about how they're going to get rid of gfwl, and it made me realise how terrible the movement control is in 2.

The nexus link is "under moderator approval" or some poo poo, and the dropbox link doesn't work any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I looked in my game folder and according to the readme these are the files for the Deadzone Fix: http://a.pomf.se/kxjrop.zip

Extract to the "Game" folder inside your Dark Souls II folder.