Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

AtomD posted:

then metro came about and it was actually p drat good on wp7. at the time everything else was all gradient and texture and skeumorph so flat simple design was a breath of fresh air. it may even have been influential. and tech sites went "wow ms did a nice design" and ms went "whhaaaaaaaaa? how?" and then completely misunderstood everything about why metro was likable in the first place when putting it in all their products

post this original desirable metro

(its abysmal isnt it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

AtomD posted:

u see zune ui was designed by an actual person with good taste

then metro came about and it was actually p drat good on wp7. at the time everything else was all gradient and texture and skeumorph so flat simple design was a breath of fresh air. it may even have been influential. and tech sites went "wow ms did a nice design" and ms went "whhaaaaaaaaa? how?" and then completely misunderstood everything about why metro was likable in the first place when putting it in all their products

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

metro was never likable and also wtf are you talking about with metro on win7

the zune software was great

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

metro was never likable and also wtf are you talking about with metro on win7

the zune software was great

they are talking about notable shitastic windows phone 7, not win 7

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

only 90s kids will remember this thing

lol how do you think i've been running office on yosemite itt

Literally the first thing I would do was turn that poo poo off every time I tried to use a computer with that on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its the 90s version of that loving language toolbar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks Ants posted:

that loving language toolbar

Trigger warning please

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

TerminalRaptor posted:

Literally the first thing I would do was turn that poo poo off every time I tried to use a computer with that on it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

only 90s kids will remember this thing

lol how do you think i've been running office on yosemite itt

im the second identical help button

edit: third? 3 help buttons in this poo poo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

fleshweasel posted:

im the second identical help button

edit: third? 3 help buttons in this poo poo

but at least there is only one clock :shobon:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

post this original desirable metro

(its abysmal isnt it)

wait wait its about context
here's what ios and android looked like

which is what phones are supposed to look like
and then all of a sudden ms does this

it was a bad os but so fresh tho

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sucked then sucks now

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its bad but that android lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
hey google your linux is showing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
also i'm the 3 different e-mail options

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
That Android pic looks like Gingerbread era Cyanogen with a custom skin, lol Handcent.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

AtomD posted:

it was a bad os but so fresh tho

almost flat > flat

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
the flatness of the operating system formally known as windows phone is just too flat. when you get apps stuff that doesn't conform it looks terrible. when its on a bigger screen it also looks terrible because it lacks any detail. ios was going the opposite way, too 'skeuomorphic'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

sucked then sucks now

nutted

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Metrication posted:

the flatness of the operating system formally known as windows phone is just too flat. when you get apps stuff that doesn't conform it looks terrible. when its on a bigger screen it also looks terrible because it lacks any detail. ios was going the opposite way, too 'skeuomorphic'
yeah, metro worked reasonably well on a 4" phone screen. msft took the good reviews that it got and figured they had the key to the next generation of ui - except that metros flaws become obvious once you scale it up to 9" tablet size or 24" pc monitor size (not to mention the insanity of using it to administer servers)

ballmer was 110% behind metro-on-everything and it pretty much led to his downfall

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Metrication posted:

and of course apple knew that which is why yosemite doesn't mimic iOS 8 completely, even though iOS is more detailed than metro

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
yes tim has truly delivered upon us a beautiful and refined computer operation system

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
love how the feedback for win 10 is "give explorer tabs" and "bring back aero!" instead of maybe "make metro apps actually make loving sense on the desktop by doing something other than giving them a title bar"

and lol and MS introducing the window opening "bounce" animation that OSX had in finder a while back and ditched in record time because it looked like poo poo, the subtle tilt and fade effect when opening/closing windows is about the only decent GUI effect MS has ever done

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

and of course apple knew that which is why yosemite doesn't mimic iOS 8 completely, even though iOS is more detailed than metro

despite all of their fuckups lately apple is still the berst (best of the worst)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I’ve been vaguely aware of Word’s Platonic ideas since I learned, years ago, that I had to create a new section when I wanted to change the page margins. But I didn’t realize how bizarrely Platonic Word can be until I started using it to create the manuscript of a complete edition of Auden’s prose. At the foot of each essay and review, the edition has a line indicating its source, for example, “The New York Review of Books, 2 May 1965,” or “The New Yorker, 27 September 1966.” While preparing the file for the publisher, I applied to all these lines a style named “Article Source”; this style arranged the lines so they were aligned at the right margin, and added a line space above and below. I was puzzled to see that when I applied the style, Word sometimes removed the italics from the magazine title but sometimes didn’t, for no obvious reason. When I applied the style to the first of my two examples, the italics disappeared; when I applied it to the second, the italics remained.

A friend at Microsoft, speaking not for attribution, solved the mystery. Word, it seems, obeys the following rule: when a “style” is applied to text that is more than 50 percent “direct-formatted” (like the italics I applied to the magazine titles), then the “style” removes the direct formatting. So The New York Review of Books (with the three-letter month May) lost its italics. When less than 50 percent of the text is “direct-formatted,” as in the example with The New Yorker (with the nine-letter month September), the direct-formatting is retained.

No writer has ever thought about the exact percentage of italics in a line of type, but Word is reduced to this kind of arbitrary principle because its Platonic model—like all Platonic models—is magnificent in its inner coherence but mostly irrelevant to the real world. In order to make a connection between heavenly ideas and tangible realities, Plato himself was reduced to inventing something he called the Demiurge, an intermediate being who translates the ideal forms in heaven into something tangible in the world. The Demiurge is an early instance of what programmers call a kludge—a clumsy and illogical expedient for dealing with a problem that seems too intractable to solve more elegantly. Word’s 50-percent rule for applying styles is a descendent of the Demiurge, and just as much of a kludge.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PleasureKevin posted:

I’ve been vaguely aware of Word’s Platonic ideas since I learned, years ago, that I had to create a new section when I wanted to change the page margins. But I didn’t realize how bizarrely Platonic Word can be until I started using it to create the manuscript of a complete edition of Auden’s prose. At the foot of each essay and review, the edition has a line indicating its source, for example, “The New York Review of Books, 2 May 1965,” or “The New Yorker, 27 September 1966.” While preparing the file for the publisher, I applied to all these lines a style named “Article Source”; this style arranged the lines so they were aligned at the right margin, and added a line space above and below. I was puzzled to see that when I applied the style, Word sometimes removed the italics from the magazine title but sometimes didn’t, for no obvious reason. When I applied the style to the first of my two examples, the italics disappeared; when I applied it to the second, the italics remained.

A friend at Microsoft, speaking not for attribution, solved the mystery. Word, it seems, obeys the following rule: when a “style” is applied to text that is more than 50 percent “direct-formatted” (like the italics I applied to the magazine titles), then the “style” removes the direct formatting. So The New York Review of Books (with the three-letter month May) lost its italics. When less than 50 percent of the text is “direct-formatted,” as in the example with The New Yorker (with the nine-letter month September), the direct-formatting is retained.

No writer has ever thought about the exact percentage of italics in a line of type, but Word is reduced to this kind of arbitrary principle because its Platonic model—like all Platonic models—is magnificent in its inner coherence but mostly irrelevant to the real world. In order to make a connection between heavenly ideas and tangible realities, Plato himself was reduced to inventing something he called the Demiurge, an intermediate being who translates the ideal forms in heaven into something tangible in the world. The Demiurge is an early instance of what programmers call a kludge—a clumsy and illogical expedient for dealing with a problem that seems too intractable to solve more elegantly. Word’s 50-percent rule for applying styles is a descendent of the Demiurge, and just as much of a kludge.

it's bad

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a driver update from windows update bricks the device if it thinks it's counterfeit
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

a driver update from windows update bricks the device if it thinks it's counterfeit
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/
lol

that owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

TerminalRaptor posted:

the best part is its actually completely functional and even works with my os x desktop shortcuts and poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

that owns

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

im the raised blacks

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DONT YOU BRING CODEC CHAT IN HERE PAGANOW YOU ARE RUINING MY MICROSFOT UTIPOA

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pagancow posted:

dsyp, do sign your posts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol

lol if somebody can actually prove intent here then that's a felony under the CFAA

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Dog posted:

lol if somebody can actually prove intent here then that's a felony under the CFAA
people had been talking about counterfeit chips not working with drivers past a certain version for months apparently? plus you can still just boot into xp or a lunix and reset it the pid, it's not "bricked"

quote:

The new driver for these chips from FTDI, delivered through a recent Windows update, reprograms the USB PID to 0, something Windows, Linux, and OS X don’t like. This renders the chip inaccessible from any OS, effectively bricking any device that happens to have one of these fake FTDI serial chips.

[two paragraphs later]

The workaround for this driver update is to download the FT232 config tool from the FTDI website on a WinXP or Linux box, change the PID of the fake chip, and never using the new driver on a modern Windows system.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pagancow posted:

Agreed

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

has anyone ever been charged much less convicted for this kind of behavior (no)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's ok pagan cow i hate the gray "black" background too :byodood::respek::byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

• Locked thread