Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I still haven't received a shipping notice, but the extra backer copy I ordered using the ship naked web store link and an alternate email address for a friend in the US already shipped and arrived :arghfist::saddowns:

I didn't back TED, is it looking any good? If it is I might try the same trick and order a backer copy for myself from the fulfillment store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Man, you guys are making me wish it was Thursday already, when my copy is supposed to get here.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zurui posted:

All of the maps are double-sided. Each of the race cards has beautiful art on the back. The box top has art on the inside. All of the bits come in separate baggies so that you can efficiently store them. The stuff barely packs into the box. Best $24 I've ever spent.

gently caress UPS being terrible price gougers (so really, gently caress the GOP). I wanted to go in on this but I couldn't justify paying $30 shipping when the actual game was so cheap so I didn't. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NTRabbit posted:

I didn't back TED, is it looking any good? If it is I might try the same trick and order a backer copy for myself from the fulfillment store
TED is a very different game, but there looks to be the same amount of care put into it. Quality components, etc. There's less stuff, though, since it needs less meeples.

Mostly, I've heard it's really drat hard. I've not played, but the Web reviews from the P&P were pretty good. I think the basic P&P is still up on the Kickstarter page if you wanted to try it out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm hoping someone comes up with some good solo rules for TEK; it feels like it could be what I wanted PocketCiv to be.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I actually got my copy of TEK a day early but I can't open it because loving school. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

VoodooXT posted:

I actually got my copy of TEK a day early but I can't open it because loving school. :(
I dunno, man, loving school sounds kind of awesome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno, man, loving school sounds kind of awesome.

It's mostly theory though, catches a lot of students out

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Graduate cum laude from loving school

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So did you ever want to play in a miniatures game as literally Bruce and Brandon Lee fighting against not-Donnie Yen and not-Dolph Lungren? Well then have I got a Kickstarter for you...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

So did you ever want to play in a miniatures game as literally Bruce and Brandon Lee fighting against not-Donnie Yen and not-Dolph Lungren? Well then have I got a Kickstarter for you...

I want every last part of this.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Saw this project yesterday: Cyntopia: The Future Is Now.

It is a cyberpunk dungeon crawler boardgame that looks similar mechanically to the recent Mantic Dungeon Saga kickstarter. For $99 (plus shipping charged after the kickstarter ends), you get dungeon tiles, minis and a reasonably simple player vs gm dice-rolling mechanic.

I am a huge mark for cyberpunk anything and a cyberpunk dungeon crawler is all I've ever wanted out of a boardgame so I backed straight away. My only concern is that as this project isn't being run by a big name company it may not attract enough attention to reach the $125,000 goal

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yay, TEK arrived a day early, and basically like everyone said, great product, eager to get a game in tomorrow.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo, is that The Crow as an exapsnion?

*looks at bank account nervously*

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What, no Uma Thurman?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Saguaro PI posted:

*looks at bank account nervously*

Oh gently caress.

I JUST want the Crow mini, nothing else. :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

What, no Uma Thurman?

The $100 pledge includes a Kill Will Expansion, which includes 1 Heroine mini. If it isn't Uma Thurman, I'd be super surprised.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

The $100 pledge includes a Kill Will Expansion, which includes 1 Heroine mini. If it isn't Uma Thurman, I'd be super surprised.

No stretch goal for a literal Uma Thurman in each box? Hmm.
As long as Japanime games makes a Krosmaster character and not a random big boobed maid I will be happy!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

They seemed to have some variety of opinion on "how much Photoshop blurring do we need to do before we can use this celebrity likeness?". For Bruce Lee they actually paid to use his name and likeness. For Kareem they changed his name and "artistic oil bubbled" the picture enough for some plausible deniability.

For Jackie Chan (erm, uh, Muscles Hawk) they just have a picture of Jackie Chan.

VVV: A lot of Kickstarters get away with using celebrity likenesses and/or copywritten characters, but usually they put in some plausible effort on "parody". That's just a picture of Jackie Chan.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 23, 2014

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

jmzero posted:

For Jackie Chan (erm, uh, Muscles Hawk) they just have a picture of Jackie Chan.

This bit specifically does make me a bit concerned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saguaro PI posted:

This bit specifically does make me a bit concerned.

So you weren't concerned by them Kickstarting a project where they already claim to have likeness rights for Bruce Lee and are implying they also have likeness rights for Uma Thurman (though more probably they're for Chiaki Kuriyama)? This whole thing reeks of scam.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jedit posted:

So you weren't concerned by them Kickstarting a project where they already claim to have likeness rights for Bruce Lee and are implying they also have likeness rights for Uma Thurman (though more probably they're for Chiaki Kuriyama)? This whole thing reeks of scam.

If so, it's a scam being perpetuated by people who have been talking about it for a while and already have made two other games.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The Bruce Lee estate has been cashing in on his likeness for games lately. He was licensed as a character in the last Battlecon Kickstarter and has been in a few recent MMA video games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jedit posted:

I don't think it looks like a scam at all? It looks like several established companies collaborating.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think it looks like a scam at all? It looks like several established companies collaborating.

Yeah, I don't think this is Heroquest 3.0 or whatever. The kickstart already had a false start (and I'm interested to know why), but I'm sure it's on the up-and-up.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TEK looks awesome! Hey should have delivered this before asking me to back TED cause they missed my money and I am bummed..

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia posted:

I am a huge mark for cyberpunk anything and a cyberpunk dungeon crawler is all I've ever wanted out of a boardgame so I backed straight away. My only concern is that as this project isn't being run by a big name company it may not attract enough attention to reach the $125,000 goal

Looks interesting but they are asking for a lot of money right out of the bat. Very doable (after all, Journey: Wrath of Demons made a lot for a first time company).
The gameplay video didn't look great, though I know it is not the complete rules. Random movement (ugh!) and a straight single dice roll off for loot and skill checks makes the game seem WAY to reliant on lucky dice to be fun.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

LordAba posted:

Looks interesting but they are asking for a lot of money right out of the bat. Very doable (after all, Journey: Wrath of Demons made a lot for a first time company).
The gameplay video didn't look great, though I know it is not the complete rules. Random movement (ugh!) and a straight single dice roll off for loot and skill checks makes the game seem WAY to reliant on lucky dice to be fun.

The dice mechanic has been addressed in the comments section and it seems like they're attempting to make a game that can be played out of the box with minimal amounts of teaching (paraphrasing here) so maybe they will add 'advanced' rules to the end product if they get enough feedback about it?

e - Kickstarter nerds are the worst :sigh: I went back to look at the comments for this project and even though it's only been live for a day or so the comments are full of people saying 'make the minis 40k scale', 'sell the minis as a standalone item', 'your goal is too high', do this, do that. Why are nerds so entitled? Can't they just see a thing and be excited about it instead of immediately being pessimistic or dissatisfied over a thing that doesn't exist yet?

cyberia fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 23, 2014

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
As far as mea culpas go, this one from Fairytale Games: The Battle Royale is pretty extensive: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/fairytale-games-the-battle-royale/posts/1021667

S.J.
May 19, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

As far as mea culpas go, this one from Fairytale Games: The Battle Royale is pretty extensive: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/fairytale-games-the-battle-royale/posts/1021667

drat, this is the same company that's doing that Bruce Lee game linked here not long ago.

e: on the plus side, Dragon Tide has a wholly separate project manager?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 23, 2014

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

clockworkjoe posted:

Fairytale Games: The Battle Royale posted:

We LOVE our artists and take pride in everything they do. Because of that, we bragged about who they were and posted links to their personal portfolios to show our appreciation. Unfortunately, other companies who were also looking to kickstart their projects saw this as an opportunity to recruit great artists for their games or comic books. Offering more incentives, the poached and crippled our art division, causing more time delays and confusion. Some artists disappeared after taking our deposit, only to return 3 months later with a piece that we had no choice but to already assign to another artist, then asking us to still pay them the balance. Plus there were some artists that decided that our projects could turn very big and they decided that they did not want to allow us to use their artwork unless we paid them more, holding pieces for ransom. We had to nix them and have other artists redo their work. It was a terrible mess.

I think there's a lesson about the value of contracts in there somewhere.

WorldspinnerAmanda
Oct 17, 2014
Hello everyone!

I'm Amanda from the Worldspinner team.

I just noticed this thread and see you guys have been looking closely at some of the earlier examples we put up.

I would just keep in mind the program is still under development (alpha starts in December), so please understand you’re seeing some work-in-progress examples that aren’t fully polished yet. We may have been a little too quick to put up some of them, but please rest assured that the production versions will be fully cleaned up. Also worth noting, the background textures are actually scans of sheets of different papers with a range of aging and staining applied, or in some cases more pristine papers. There will be a couple dozen to choose from in the final product.

Our Kickstarter is in the final days of our campaign. We're trying to hit our stretch goals so we can deliver more awesome content to our backers. So make sure to take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/worldspinner/worldspinner-fantasy-rpg-worldbuilder-and-map-make?ref=nav_search

- Amanda

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LordAba posted:

On the subject of Journey, I got a look at it at Essen. The minis look nice, but from what I saw of the gameplay I'm glad I didn't back it.

I also saw Cthulhu Wars. The minis there are lighter than they appear and made of soapy plastic, which makes me worry about how easy it will be to paint them. However, the game is complete; everything from the counters to the box were the things we'll be receiving in the game.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

InShaneee posted:

I think there's a lesson about the value of contracts in there somewhere.

Is the lesson "have them, you loving idiots"? According to that post they were trying to manage 80+ artists.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

On the subject of Journey, I got a look at it at Essen. The minis look nice, but from what I saw of the gameplay I'm glad I didn't back it.

I also saw Cthulhu Wars. The minis there are lighter than they appear and made of soapy plastic, which makes me worry about how easy it will be to paint them. However, the game is complete; everything from the counters to the box were the things we'll be receiving in the game.

That bad on Journey? If you are willing to take a second look they do have the rulebook posted (though I don't think all the missions are there): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath-of-demons/posts/999192

Look through the comments, the dropbox link is the easiest way to get it. I haven't gone through the real crunch of it yet. Was more interested in the minis, to be fair!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

clockworkjoe posted:

Wow, I'm really glad I didn't back this one. I was super close to backing their second project at one of the higher 'get everything' tiers but I just couldn't justify spending that much on fairy tale minis and it looks like I made a good choice.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

clockworkjoe posted:

quote:

To rectify our communication and production problems, ALL team members have quit their current jobs last week and are working full time with Artistic Justice Games. This is great because now replies, updates and responsibilities are delegated evenly within the company. Meaning, quick response rates!

Wow...I can't say that sounds like a great idea.

There's not many independent gaming companies that can afford to replace the owner's day job, let alone the entire team working on it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I like the part where they wanted their artists to produce 6 finished pieces a day for an entire year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LordAba posted:

That bad on Journey? If you are willing to take a second look they do have the rulebook posted (though I don't think all the missions are there): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath-of-demons/posts/999192

Not so much bad as it didn't excite or interest me in any way. Shame, really, I like the theme and the minis are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Ropes4u posted:

TEK looks awesome! Hey should have delivered this before asking me to back TED cause they missed my money and I am bummed..

I agree. I would have backed TED without hesitation after getting TEK, but backing a kickstarter before their previous kickstarter is done leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

We'll see what they do next.

• Locked thread