Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

C++ is better than rust because for the price of the generics system, you also get, FREE OF CHARGE, an awesome metaprogramming system and don't have to do all your even slightly meta stuff in macros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Call me when Rust's done.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Also I'm still hoping Clay turns into something good.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Vanadium posted:

C++ is better than rust because for the price of the generics system, you also get, FREE OF CHARGE, an awesome metaprogramming system and don't have to do all your even slightly meta stuff in macros!

just don't look inside the metaprogramming or try to understand the error messages

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

Also I'm still hoping Clay turns into something good.
Clay was abandoned years ago. Nimrod is the new cool systems language designed by one smart guy to fawn over

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

apl/j/k needs to come back

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Dicky B posted:

Clay was abandoned years ago. Nimrod is the new cool systems language designed by one smart guy to fawn over

Don't poo poo on my dreams man.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

look i just want somebody in yospos to validate nimrod so i know i'm not crazy

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Dicky B posted:

what does GOD SAYS to you?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Dicky B posted:

I am definitely intrigued from the overview page.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Dicky B posted:

its nim now

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

oh yea i forgot they were doing that because nobody got the reference

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

power botton posted:

apl/j/k needs to come back

k never went away, pondering taking a job writing it again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dicky B posted:

oh yea i forgot they were doing that because nobody got the reference

whats the reference

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fart simpson posted:

whats the reference
lern 2 read the bible :rolleyes:

nimrod was a king & mighty hunter in the bibbles and then bugs bunny ironically called elmer fudd nimrod and now everybody thinks nimrod == idiot THANKS WALT

prob like that? never heard of nimrod the lang

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I looked at Nimrod and there is just something that smells about the whole thing.

quote:

References (similar to pointers in other programming languages) are a way to introduce many-to-one relationships.

Stuff like this in the documentation.

Also, assigning to the variable "result" as the means of returning a value.

The type int is implicitly convertible to int8 and int16. But int32 isn't. int32 is implicitly convertible to int though.

The choice, or need, to use "discard expr()" when expr() returns a value, instead of something like C's "(void)expr()" or Go's(?) "_ = expr().

assert being a keyword.

quote:

The implicit initialization can be avoided for optimization reasons with the noinit pragma:

var
  a {.noInit.}: array [0..1023, char]

There are better ways to do that.

I don't feel the sense of creators' pain and misery that I see with other languages, in its design. With Go and Swift it feels like people working on them have watched the c-beams glitter and cried their tears -- they have their poo poo together. With Rust it felt like they have learned about c-beams in theory and would like to do something about it. They got lost in the woods for some time, but maybe they're on their way out. With Nimrod it feels like a couple of white boys with rich parents trying to be gangsta.

Almost wrote the whole post without mentioning the Python syntax.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KARMA! posted:

nimrod was a king & mighty hunter in the bibbles and then bugs bunny ironically called elmer fudd nimrod and now everybody thinks nimrod == idiot THANKS WALT

prob like that? never heard of nimrod the lang

actually i searched and it's probably a reference to nimrod the first computer built to play video games?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

sarehu posted:

I looked at Nimrod and there is just something that smells about the whole thing.

Stuff like this in the documentation.

Also, assigning to the variable "result" as the means of returning a value.

The type int is implicitly convertible to int8 and int16. But int32 isn't. int32 is implicitly convertible to int though.

The choice, or need, to use "discard expr()" when expr() returns a value, instead of something like C's "(void)expr()" or Go's(?) "_ = expr().

assert being a keyword.

There are better ways to do that.

I don't feel the sense of creators' pain and misery that I see with other languages, in its design. With Go and Swift it feels like people working on them have watched the c-beams glitter and cried their tears -- they have their poo poo together. With Rust it felt like they have learned about c-beams in theory and would like to do something about it. They got lost in the woods for some time, but maybe they're on their way out. With Nimrod it feels like a couple of white boys with rich parents trying to be gangsta.

Almost wrote the whole post without mentioning the Python syntax.
lol well if that's the best you can do then it looks like a good language. i've been messing with it a bit and it feels very productive. compile-time function evaluation is really nice

fart simpson posted:

actually i searched and it's probably a reference to nimrod the first computer built to play video games?
no its nimrod the king because its like "one language to rule them all" or some silly poo poo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
sure are a lot of nimrods on this page

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stringent posted:

sure are a lot of nimrods on this page

thank you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i hate citing stuff, can't i just make my master's thesis "50 pages of my strong and correct opinions about programming"

instead i have to write pages about fowler's thoughts on refactoring, ugghh

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

k never went away, pondering taking a job writing it again

do it and then ill send you my resume

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.yukinishijima.net/2014/10/21/did-you-mean-experience-in-ruby.html

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

i don't like to say good stuff about rubby but this is actually kind of cool. it would be better if there was an option to make it just assume you meant the other thing and run it that way for suitably close matches

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i don't like to say good stuff about rubby but this is actually kind of cool. it would be better if there was an option to make it just assume you meant the other thing and run it that way for suitably close matches

you can do that too. http://ruby-jokes.github.io/close_enough/

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ruby is more php than php could ever dream of. ruby has ==, ===, and eql? and equal?.

i know that it still thinks numbers and strings are different but you can probably fix that with enough overrides.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://isocpp.org/files/papers/N4134.pdf :circlefap:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

lol the number of typos on this page, no wonder he wrote this

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

:swoon:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

yes, c++ is a kitchen sink language

and we like it that way

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Dessert Rose posted:

lol the number of typos on this page, no wonder he wrote this

congrats on get joke

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dicky B posted:

lol well if that's the best you can do then it looks like a good language. i've been messing with it a bit and it feels very productive. compile-time function evaluation is really nice

it's a basic statically typed generics GC natively compiled language, there is that. a nice thing about it is that they feel like they do have their implementation together. they're not ivory tower when it comes to running actual programs. it's in programming language design that their opinions and the language stray towards ickiness, once you get past the generics+effects+GC aspect. also I'm comparing something that's ostensibly a work in progress against stuff that has had 1.0, and there can definitely be a lot of rounds of sheer idiocy before getting to something that seems semi-reasonable.

somebody should just fork it and get rid of the python syntax.

and wait, there's pass-by-reference that's implicit at the call-site? that's the sort of mistake, among others i've mentioned, that make me distrust the whole thing. how can you have effects tagging without also cringing at having foo(x) modify the variable x?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KARMA! posted:

walt?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the "w" in "wb" stads for walt, dummy.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ok this owns and i think it's the first time i've ever wished for a rubby feature in php. it kind of reminds me of that javascript thing that automatically removes lines with errors in them and re-eval()s your script

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ok this owns and i think it's the first time i've ever wished for a rubby feature in php. it kind of reminds me of that javascript thing that automatically removes lines with errors in them and re-eval()s your script

this also exists for ruby https://github.com/programble/fuckit.rb

combine the two so if it cant figure out what you meant it just deletes it, then you have the ultimate web dev language

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Bug Child posted:

less awesome when you add a new method and all of the sudden it's the new closest match

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

less awesome when you add a new method and all of the sudden it's the new closest match

if the name is a closer match maybe it's a better match for what you want to do

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Separate yield and await? This is the feature of my dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I think I called this (using levenshtein distance for method matching) ITT

Subjunctive posted:

obviously the new method will do the job better on account of being newer, duh