Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
So, I have been buying molds off Aliexpress. A lot of molds. So many molds. Lots of them are muffin, chocolate or fondant molds for cake decorations. Here are three of the lattice molds I got, which I thought would be fun to use resin with to make some different styles of grating, metalwork, or moldings for buildings.

The top one will be useful for Infinity, because as we know, hexagons = the future. I don't care about the casting errors or bubbles because to be honest a lot of these will be used on ruined buildings, and will be made to look like rusted pieces. The one underneath will make a nice kind of architectural exterior for the side of a building, or perhaps over windows, and the last two can be used as architrave moldings, or for the last one a kind of metal fencing for a garden area.

I really recommend going online and searching for different kinds of molds, and really letting your minds run free as to their applications. They're as cheap as $1 for some really good ones, and higher, but most are under $5, and have a ton of useful applications. Cheap, easy to use, easy to clean, and can provide you a ton of scenery options for a really cheap price.

I also received some styrene I also ordered from China, and it's a ton for a really decent price, of differing types, which should keep me in modelling materials for some time to come. I am really glad I have found the site, as it looks like it will also slash my silicone and resin costs in half, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

The Dark Project posted:

So, I have been buying molds off Aliexpress. A lot of molds. So many molds. Lots of them are muffin, chocolate or fondant molds for cake decorations. Here are three of the lattice molds I got, which I thought would be fun to use resin with to make some different styles of grating, metalwork, or moldings for buildings.

The top one will be useful for Infinity, because as we know, hexagons = the future. I don't care about the casting errors or bubbles because to be honest a lot of these will be used on ruined buildings, and will be made to look like rusted pieces. The one underneath will make a nice kind of architectural exterior for the side of a building, or perhaps over windows, and the last two can be used as architrave moldings, or for the last one a kind of metal fencing for a garden area.

I really recommend going online and searching for different kinds of molds, and really letting your minds run free as to their applications. They're as cheap as $1 for some really good ones, and higher, but most are under $5, and have a ton of useful applications. Cheap, easy to use, easy to clean, and can provide you a ton of scenery options for a really cheap price.

I also received some styrene I also ordered from China, and it's a ton for a really decent price, of differing types, which should keep me in modelling materials for some time to come. I am really glad I have found the site, as it looks like it will also slash my silicone and resin costs in half, if not more.

Ooh, great idea. I really like the arch one at bottom.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Have you got a link to that top hexagon one? That would be interesting to experiment with the airbrush for infinity :science:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Here you go :)

Would you guys like a link to all the different molds I currently have purchased from Aliexpress? If you're interested in any of them and how they look, I can help you out if you're thinking of purchasing them, but not sure if they're the ones for you. Let me know.

Germ
May 7, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

Here you go :)

Would you guys like a link to all the different molds I currently have purchased from Aliexpress? If you're interested in any of them and how they look, I can help you out if you're thinking of purchasing them, but not sure if they're the ones for you. Let me know.

Yes, please!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes, definitely post those links - I couldn't find anything from the same seller so I guess the molds are spread across the site?

Also, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I want to make a bunch of roads and rivers for 15-20mm scale and 25-28mm scale, these would be 1 foot long and either 50mm wide for the smaller scales or 70-75mm at the larger scale. The tricky bit is, I want to make them out of rubber (latex) so they are flexible and easy to handle and store away.

I can make the originals pretty easily and make silicone molds, but I want to find the right kind of latex to use - AND make it brown so there's minimal painting needed. What's the right kind of latex I should be looking for? Just 'rubber latex' and that's it, or is there another different kind of latex I should be looking for? Also, can the rubber be tinted with craft paint, so you think?

I want to use them on my own tabletop but look to possibly sell them online too.

Germ
May 7, 2013

You could paint on layers of rubber latex, waiting for it to dry between layers, but that'd take a fair amount of time. If you're looking for a mass production solution, I'd recommend you start looking into the special FX info out there on the interwebs. You could basically use the same techniques that folks use to make foam latex appliances to make roads and rivers.

It's a great idea, BTW!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm just about to leave work but a very quick search on ebay (where I find many supplies) didn't bring up foam latex - just mattresses and ready-made masks. But I'll look again later

Germ posted:

It's a great idea, BTW!

Wish I could claim it but at the show I was at last weekend there were a couple of sellers flogging off these roads and rivers, and thought it would be cool to have them, but they can be pricey...so of course I thought 'I can make that!' :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

Yes, definitely post those links - I couldn't find anything from the same seller so I guess the molds are spread across the site?

Also, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I want to make a bunch of roads and rivers for 15-20mm scale and 25-28mm scale, these would be 1 foot long and either 50mm wide for the smaller scales or 70-75mm at the larger scale. The tricky bit is, I want to make them out of rubber (latex) so they are flexible and easy to handle and store away.

I can make the originals pretty easily and make silicone molds, but I want to find the right kind of latex to use - AND make it brown so there's minimal painting needed. What's the right kind of latex I should be looking for? Just 'rubber latex' and that's it, or is there another different kind of latex I should be looking for? Also, can the rubber be tinted with craft paint, so you think?

I want to use them on my own tabletop but look to possibly sell them online too.

Funny you should mention this topic. Check out this video, posted yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEnnn6YCcJk

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those are all great ideas, I like using a pair of old jeans or cloth for roads. The curled up edges aren't very appealing but for home games it's fine. I'm thinking about making road things to sell, so the latex foam kits you can get for propmaking are probably what I'm going to have to look at.

I went to Warhammer Fest yesterday and Forge World had some amazing display tables there:

The Zone Mortalis board shows a boarding action on a Battlefleet Gothic type ship, the outside of the ship was done by casting the outer hull bits and gluing them to pink foam. I'm sure the bridge terminal things are cast pieces, I don't think they're something you can buy (yet).

complete photo album here: http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/?page_id=557

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

I'm sure the bridge terminal things are cast pieces, I don't think they're something you can buy (yet).

Those are actually from the Damoclese Command Rhino kit! Well, the console and seats are anyway; the backing of the consoles and the servitors, I have no clue, but the guy sitting in the back is (I think) from Mars Pattern Reaver Titan.

I love those towers. I'm guessing they're PVC pipes as a base, possibly thick cardboard tubes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Those are actually from the Damoclese Command Rhino kit! Well, the console and seats are anyway; the backing of the consoles and the servitors, I have no clue, but the guy sitting in the back is (I think) from Mars Pattern Reaver Titan.

I love those towers. I'm guessing they're PVC pipes as a base, possibly thick cardboard tubes.
I want to use some of the Hirst Art molds to make similar consoles, the chairs and servitors would have to be scratchbuilt to cast repeats of. Good to know the bits are at least available in a retail sense :) There are a lot of med-lab sets on the Zone Mortalis board too - some had slave figures and other things inside.

The bent piping on the table with the towers is just copper tubing, I think the large tubing for the towers is cardboard because it was bent up quite a lot in places.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

I want to use some of the Hirst Art molds to make similar consoles, the chairs and servitors would have to be scratchbuilt to cast repeats of. Good to know the bits are at least available in a retail sense :) There are a lot of med-lab sets on the Zone Mortalis board too - some had slave figures and other things inside.

The bent piping on the table with the towers is just copper tubing, I think the large tubing for the towers is cardboard because it was bent up quite a lot in places.

Hirst art molds would be perfect for the consoles. I got handed the Damoclese kit for free from a guy, one of the old ones when it wasn't bundled with a Rhino; some chucklehead had tried to cast one of the marines in resin, but had neglected to do so for one of the seats, leaving me with just one seat (much to my annoyance). I might make a mold of the console part for my own board at some point in the future, since it's a fairly easy one-piece section.

Now, getting the consoles to light up with LEDs...THAT would be a fun project!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'd give a goddamn arm to have the same access to bits those guys do. Must be a blast.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Has anyone here ordered a Zuzzy gaming mat? I put in an order almost 17 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them since then. I have emailed and messaged them on facebook with no reply. I get that it takes time from them to send this stuff out (up to 12 weeks according to their website) but this seems a bit excessive, especially given the lack of any communication on their part once they got my money.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ZachAttack posted:

Has anyone here ordered a Zuzzy gaming mat? I put in an order almost 17 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them since then. I have emailed and messaged them on facebook with no reply. I get that it takes time from them to send this stuff out (up to 12 weeks according to their website) but this seems a bit excessive, especially given the lack of any communication on their part once they got my money.

Sounds about right, mine took about 3 months to get to me but they can take a lot longer if you are in the US. Totally worth it tho.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZachAttack posted:

From my reading, you're having the standard experience, they take forever and never respond to any attempt at communication.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

From my reading, you're having the standard experience, they take forever and never respond to any attempt at communication.

My experience too, but I'm really happy with the product.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just wanna drop in real quick to sing the praises of Montana spraypaint. I've been using Montana Gold on a variety of plastics and it doesn't melt them! And they even have a primer meant specifically for styrofoam!

Kinda pricy for spraypaint but their color selection is boss as gently caress too!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I haven't kept up with sci-fi terrain for a while. But now my nephew is in a Star Wars phase, and is playing the SW miniatures game a lot. I'd like to paint/build some 3D terrain to spice up the flat playing mats used for the game, and I wonder if there are any good examples of Star Wars style terrain out there? The only Sci-fi terrain I have is the Mantic Deadzone stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lilljonas posted:

I haven't kept up with sci-fi terrain for a while. But now my nephew is in a Star Wars phase, and is playing the SW miniatures game a lot. I'd like to paint/build some 3D terrain to spice up the flat playing mats used for the game, and I wonder if there are any good examples of Star Wars style terrain out there? The only Sci-fi terrain I have is the Mantic Deadzone stuff.

I know nothing of the SW game, but have you looked at the Battle Systems laser cut card terrain? Could be inside the death star or a star destroyer, if that's where the game is played?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

lilljonas posted:

A friend of mine printed me a SW gaming mat using vinyl and a high-res image from the Hubble telescope. He also photoshopped an unflattering picture of my face over every star. Not helpful to your question, but there you go.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

Off the top of my head a lot of Armorcast stuff has a very SW feel to it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Here's a thought, which SW minis game are you talking about, X Wing with all the ships flying around in space, or Imperial Assault with all the ground guys moving around on cardstock room tiles?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

lilljonas posted:

Asteroid fields (ala BFG) are always a good go to for some simple 3d space scatter.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

Here's a thought, which SW minis game are you talking about, X Wing with all the ships flying around in space, or Imperial Assault with all the ground guys moving around on cardstock room tiles?

Usually SW Minis refers to the D20 based skirmish that is done on grids and X Wing refers to the X Wing minis game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's the old Star Wars Miniature game, the one with roughly 25mm scale pre-painted miniatures. I completely forgot that the dogfighting miniature game is way more popular these days.

What I'm looking for the most is nice detail stuff to add to scenery, such as consoles, work stations, gadgets and such. I will probably work on some Tatooine scenery first, and it helps that "sand blasted trash pile" should go a long way. Maybe some pylons would be a good starting point as well.

Maybe I should simply watch the old movies again and see if I get some good ideas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's a brand new one with 30mm or so scale minis that was just released too, called Imperial Assault, plus the capital ship based Armada, so plenty of Star Wars options to be specific about now :v:

Antenocitis Workshop has a bunch of that sort of thing

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NTRabbit posted:

There's a brand new one with 30mm or so scale minis that was just released too, called Imperial Assault, plus the capital ship based Armada, so plenty of Star Wars options to be specific about now :v:

Antenocitis Workshop has a bunch of that sort of thing

If they are the same size as Descent miniatures you are lucky if you can consider them 25mm, that may not sound like much but when they are that small, 5mm of scale difference is huge.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

lilljonas posted:

On the previous page I posted an example+technique I followed to make a sweet 6x3 board that took half an hour.

Failing that if you want to go 3D this could be an option that was mentioned many pages ago

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and didn't see the in between comment saying it wasn't XWing:TMG

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

If they are the same size as Descent miniatures you are lucky if you can consider them 25mm, that may not sound like much but when they are that small, 5mm of scale difference is huge.

Was just trying to point out that "SW minis game" isn't really specific enough any more with all the FFG releases, not planning to get anything except Armada myself

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

Was just trying to point out that "SW minis game" isn't really specific enough any more with all the FFG releases, not planning to get anything except Armada myself

Well I mean, those games aren't called Star Wars Minis while the D20 based game is. Seems pretty specific to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Well I mean, those games aren't called Star Wars Minis while the D20 based game is. Seems pretty specific to me.

I'd never heard of a D20 based game called Star Wars Minis until you mentioned it. To me "the SW Miniatures game" meant either X Wing, Imperial Assault or Armada in that order of likelihood, which is why I asked.

Notice I was not the only person to suggest a printed starfield or asteroids in a box, assuming it was X Wing (though I assumed Imperial Assault rather than X Wing with my answers)

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 23, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I started painting some of my custom laser cut terrain.

Not sure I like the colors, I am bad at picking colors.

Also I think my new phone takes pretty awesome pictures.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

LumberingTroll posted:

I started painting some of my custom laser cut terrain.

Not sure I like the colors, I am bad at picking colors.

Also I think my new phone takes pretty awesome pictures.

Orange might work better than red, but I think it's a pretty cool scheme that's suitably dystopian and sci fi.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think a big part of getting my buddies involved in wargaming is going to be the presentation - battle of the dining table in the spraycan forest and CD-case steppes has got to go.

For now I'm gaming the Gallic wars in 6mm so I've got typical european terrain in mind. I'm going to use those semi-flexible plastic folders as a base for my terrain, and most can be done with a little modelling clay and papier mache, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to forests.

DBA requires forests that can be entirely traversed by columns, groups and lines of infantry so fixed-trees are a no go - even the typical 'supporting ring' of trunks and a removable canopy won't work. I am considering making a few large, flat bases (maybe double-duty as marshland) and then mounting clumps of trees on pennies to be moved around ontop of them. It's not going to have the same effect, but what other option do I have?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

I think a big part of getting my buddies involved in wargaming is going to be the presentation - battle of the dining table in the spraycan forest and CD-case steppes has got to go.

For now I'm gaming the Gallic wars in 6mm so I've got typical european terrain in mind. I'm going to use those semi-flexible plastic folders as a base for my terrain, and most can be done with a little modelling clay and papier mache, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to forests.

DBA requires forests that can be entirely traversed by columns, groups and lines of infantry so fixed-trees are a no go - even the typical 'supporting ring' of trunks and a removable canopy won't work. I am considering making a few large, flat bases (maybe double-duty as marshland) and then mounting clumps of trees on pennies to be moved around ontop of them. It's not going to have the same effect, but what other option do I have?

Make stands of trees and then make a silhouette of the footprint that replaces the stand of trees when a unit enters it. It's not perfect, but it should be simple. I would say make individual trees like you are proposing, but at 6mm they would fall over a whole lot.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd say make your large footprint, and then on smaller irregular cut platforms, due clumps of trees that are movable during play, if that makes sense. The same intent as what you're talking about, but scaled to work better with the small scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I think the way you suggest is the way to go. We started out with fixed trunks, and it is just a pita unless you play skirmish games, and sometimes even then as well. To make simple trees in 6mm you can make the trunks out of wire and then glue bits of foliage from woodland scenics or similar train model brands to the trunk. Drybrush the foliage a little bit if you want it to look nice. If you build a bunch of such trees and put them on small bases that you can move around on a larger base, you're golden.

If you base them on something heavy like coins they should stay in place and not fall over too easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

How to make scale model corrugated iron (looks to be good enough for regular sized miniatures).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWUdfRQkBY

Will I be making some of this stuff? You bet your rear end I will be!