Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people, but all the Ainoks are hounds. Come on, Wizards, at least be consistent!
Snakes don't have names, therefore Naga.

Hounds have arms and legs, therefore no Ainoks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people, but all the Ainoks are hounds. Come on, Wizards, at least be consistent!

It's not that bad of a deal, "naga" is a concept/species that already has a great deal of currency in fantasy bestiaries. Notably, they can use it outside of Tarkir, which they couldn't really do with "Ainok" for dog people.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

JerryLee posted:

It's not that bad of a deal, "naga" is a concept/species that already has a great deal of currency in fantasy bestiaries. Notably, they can use it outside of Tarkir, which they couldn't really do with "Ainok" for dog people.

Finally we get Blackfathom Deeps in magic. (I agree with you Nagas are awesome)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people
Kamigawa snake people aren't really naga since they don't have snake bodies. Coiling Oracle is specifically a Simic experiment and not part of a race.

That leaves Serpent Warrior and Serpent Assassin as the only existing naga that are snakes instead. I think I can live with that.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

But to his credit, R&D has been super flaky on tribal development as of late. They'll dangle carrots like Pheres-Band Warchief and Titan of Eternal Fire in front of you, and then fail to develop the idea at all. In fact, the Warchief was actively a nonbo with at least two of the other centaurs in the set!
Then you've got Whelming Wave which, insanely, bounces Squids so which means no Chasm Skulker fun for you. I mean, maybe these cards are just kitchen table fodder, but it seems pretty dumb to tease tribal and have it go nowhere.

They did OK with Minotaurs, but that deck is pretty much builds itself.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Then you've got Whelming Wave which, insanely, bounces Squids so which means no Chasm Skulker fun for you

SQUIDS DON'T GRIP TO ROCKS :cmon:

Also:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man Jeskai Tempo feels like a pile of poo poo when I'm playing it, what's the proper way to run the deck?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man Jeskai Tempo feels like a pile of poo poo when I'm playing it, what's the proper way to run the deck?
I think just watching videos of LSV playing it will help, as far as I know it's an aggro deck that has a ton of burn for reach, disregard this if needed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hard to say why you're having trouble with it without knowing what build you're running (there's quite a bit of variation in terms of how creature heavy/light you run it and with what configurations) and how bad of a player you are specifically. Please provide more details.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hard to say why you're having trouble with it without knowing what build you're running (there's quite a bit of variation in terms of how creature heavy/light you run it and with what configurations) and how bad of a player you are specifically. Please provide more details.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8341&f=ST This build right now.

It feels like I have no board presence often until turn 3 or greater, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using those early turns to chuck Jeskai Charms at the face of my opponent or what.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Zorak posted:

SQUIDS DON'T GRIP TO ROCKS :cmon:

Also:

Why the gently caress are Serpents different from Snakes?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zemyla posted:

Why the gently caress are Serpents different from Snakes?

Oarfish and eels are fish. :colbert:

(Serpent is their Sea Serpent type. Snake is the Land Serpent type.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It is, however, vitally important that we distinguish between Octopuses, Squids and Nautiluses. (And Cephalids.)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
But not dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are lizards, clearly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

But not dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are lizards, clearly.

shut up I know it's been errata'd to a lizard :(

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Dinosaurs and lizards are nearly as closely related to one-another as dogs are to dinosaurs ugh, Magic, why do you have to make this so consistent

(lizards are only a little bit closer)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Don't get me started on scorpions and similar animals.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You know when you get right down to it, if loxodon are Elephants and leonin are Cats and ainok are Hounds, then really humans should just be Apes.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Calling it: Kird Human Magic 2016 Core Set.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Conley Woods could voice a cartoon bear. I like his drafts.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Finally got out to my local comic book store to play some standard Magic for the first time. Went 2-4 which I was really happy about. I'm playing white/black aggro and I think my deck could be pretty good with some tweaking. I have a Sorin in there and I think I need to replace him with two Elspeths. Also played some guy who was using green and red who had either indestructable monsters or protection from white. I'm beginning to see the importance of a sideboard as I haven't even thought about it prior. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm having fun :3:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Who's ready for GP Modern Masters 2 TBD? gptbd.com

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

Finally got out to my local comic book store to play some standard Magic for the first time. Went 2-4 which I was really happy about. I'm playing white/black aggro and I think my deck could be pretty good with some tweaking. I have a Sorin in there and I think I need to replace him with two Elspeths. Also played some guy who was using green and red who had either indestructable monsters or protection from white. I'm beginning to see the importance of a sideboard as I haven't even thought about it prior. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm having fun :3:

Glad you're enjoying yourself! If you're looking for some help with tweaks, you should post your decklist in the Magic decklist thread. Just include the decklist, maybe some info about your local meta, and what kind of budget you can spend, and it'll be a good start.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8341&f=ST This build right now.

It feels like I have no board presence often until turn 3 or greater, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using those early turns to chuck Jeskai Charms at the face of my opponent or what.

Brimaz should be boarded and replaced with Rabblemaster. The only matchups he's good against are the mirror and Sligh. Also 3 digs are too many. It can just sit in your hand a lot of times. I've been playing 1 and it's fine.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 23, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Who's ready for GP Modern Masters 2 TBD? gptbd.com

I wish they'd announce a city but seeing its CFB, it's probably West Coast, so I won't be able to make it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Snacksmaniac posted:

I wish they'd announce a city but seeing its CFB, it's probably West Coast, so I won't be able to make it.

Cascade games is also listed, Portland maybe?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

There's actually three GPs that very same weekend, which is a first, and was a big tip to people that something special is going to happen (most likely Modern Masters 2).

Edit: Actually it's Europe, Japan, and USA. Whoops! It'll probably be in Vegas again.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 23, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought it was Europe, Japan, and Vegas.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vegas I could probably swing. Fingers crossed.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
GP Vintage Masters paper printing, gently caress the reserve list gently caress all the haters and especially gently caress Ken Nagle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The March Hare posted:

GP Vintage Masters paper printing, gently caress the reserve list gently caress all the haters and especially gently caress Ken Nagle.

Ban all cards on the reserve list. Win/win.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Speaking of Bannings, what's the over/under on Treasure Cruise getting banned in Modern? How about in Legacy? Just watched the latest LSV video, and how stupidly good that card is in a format with fetches is unbelievable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

Speaking of Bannings, what's the over/under on Treasure Cruise getting banned in Modern? How about in Legacy? Just watched the latest LSV video, and how stupidly good that card is in a format with fetches is unbelievable.

It's gonna have to show up in 7 out of the top 8 decks at a GP before it gets banned I think.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Madmarker posted:

Not sure it'll happen quite yet, but I think in the long term it's bound to happen under the "reduces deck diversity" argument. It turns out that unrestricted Ancestral Recall is a pretty good excuse to splash blue in basically every deck it's feasible in.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's gonna have to show up in 7 out of the top 8 decks at a GP before it gets banned I think.

Well, unless something gives, I find that likely. I mean, even friggin burn decks are splashing blue for the thing, it helps power the Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck, I will be watching Madrid closely.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I honestly think fetchlands are a bigger culprit in terms of warping the metagame. They enable too many things at once, add additional shuffles that slow down real life play, and make other dual lands second tier. Cruise without fetches is probably too slow for most non-Standard formats.

I know they'd never ban them, but I think it'd make Modern a healthier format in the long run if they did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Well, unless something gives, I find that likely. I mean, even friggin burn decks are splashing blue for the thing, it helps power the Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck, I will be watching Madrid closely.

Has the Modern Ascendancy deck won anything? I don't think it's even made the top 8 of a SCG Premier IQ...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has there been a major Modern event since Khans came out? I'm curious to see if it actually manages to live up to the hype and shake things up a bit.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Has there been a major Modern event since Khans came out? I'm curious to see if it actually manages to live up to the hype and shake things up a bit.

No there hasn't been a big modern event since August. The next one is GP Madrid on November 14.

edit-Which is the same day as GP New Jersey which is a Legacy GP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I hope to see 4 Treasure Cruises in the winning decks from both tournaments.

• Locked thread