Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i was surprised when i updated office 2011 on a mac after never doing it and they added retina graphics to the toolbars and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

no thats just straight up office 97 running under wine
thanks

that actually looks more usable than the latest sub based stuff

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

why hasn't office Mac added the time machine version control features yet

that's been in os x for what, four major releases now?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

minivanmegafun posted:

why hasn't office Mac added the time machine version control features yet

that's been in os x for what, four major releases now?

i'd like to figure it's being eaten alive internally by people in the other divisions, despite its profitability, and is succumbing to microsoftism of the 2010s

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i actually had that happen to my lenovo the other day

it was really weird

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Last Chance posted:

i was surprised when i updated office 2011 on a mac after never doing it and they added retina graphics to the toolbars and poo poo
auto-update is still not retina though :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

office 97 was extremely good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Captain Foo posted:

office 97 was extremely good

Office 97 was the last version of office that actually improved upon the former version, instead of stepping sideways in one way or another

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i remember office xp being so bad i felt visceral pain for anyone that was stuck using it in like 2005

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

winders but with laffes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

i remember office xp being so bad i felt visceral pain for anyone that was stuck using it in like 2005

this was exactly my high school but in 2008

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
tbh i just use pages LOL

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mishaq posted:

i remember telling people that office xp was $600, wordperfect office was $50, and as long as they weren't trying to do something esoteric in a spreadsheet or send electronic copies of documents to an idiot they were functionally identical

most of the time people would refuse to believe that an oem cd in a sleeve was a legit full version of something so they'd go spend $700 at future shop

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uncurable mlady posted:

office for Mac is absolute garbo if you're trying to view marked up docs w/track changes. it literally will grind my computer to a standstill and beachball when I try to insert text

also i always have to copy twice because word ignores the first one

to be fair, office for windows may crash w/o saving work if you have the audacity to try to track changes on a document with math formulas

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
mac office is so bad, its the main reason i use vmware

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

i remember telling people that office xp was $600, wordperfect office was $50, and as long as they weren't trying to do something esoteric in a spreadsheet or send electronic copies of documents to an idiot they were functionally identical

i always liked wordperfect much, much more than ms word, and shitloads of people agreed with me. back in the day, they cost about the same amount of money and competed neck and neck.

the genius move by microsoft is that they bundled excel and word together. excel was scads better than any of its competitors. and the 'office' bundle cost like $100 more than word or excel alone, in an era when a spreadsheet or word processor could be $300-400-500 individually.

if you happened to like wordperfect, you might just not bother to buy it, because excel was an obvious win over quattro, and you got ms word for free. similarly, if you happened to like quattro/amipro, you might just not bother, because you could buy word and get excel for free.

bundling killed the competition

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bundling killed the competition
they were also done in by the shift from dos to windows 3.x. lotus and wp and borland and ashton tate were slow to release win3 versions of their software (and what they released was usually half-assed and buggy), while msft pulled out all the stops to make word and excel the best-in-class on windows. msft had an advantage in that the hundred people who most understood windows 3.0 were all located just two rows of cubicles over from the word and excel teams, and therve always been suggestions that windows was specifically written in ways to trip up non-office applications, but i just remember the big software incumbents of the 1980s being slow to fully pivot to windows and msft taking full advantage of their lassitude

agreed that wordperfect was the best

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
microsoft... butt love linux ?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tell us again how women shouldn't ask for raises, because that way they accumulate "good karma", which is even better :allears:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what exactly about  Numbers isn't good enough for you people?

also why does it say "microsoft love linux". can't they add and "s" or do like "we love linux"? how do they gently caress up everything that involves words????

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

tell us again how women shouldn't ask for raises, because that way they accumulate "good karma", which is even better :allears:

don't forget the super-powers of staying quiet!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

pivot tables

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

prefect posted:

investor call later today could be fun

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

numbers is just slower and shittier than excel which is shocking because excel is really really lovely

numbers looks better and makes better looking charts sure but it's not as good for spreadsheet work

google spreadsheet is somehow worse except for when you are using a spreadsheet with other people

not using a spreadsheet > excel > numbers > google spreadsheet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

investor call later today could be fun

ohh man

also i doubt it'll come up but if they point out that sunset overdrive's pre-order numbers are garbage that'll be even better

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

PleasureKevin posted:

it genuinely has a lot less functions than excel that makes it nearly useless for a lot of statistical work. I like using it more than excel but i just never have a reason to use it over excel, etc.

I mean, if i was just making an invoice or something, yeah Numbers would be my first choice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

don't forget the super-powers of staying quiet!

that's not even an "i misspoke" kind of thing -- unless he's got some kind of executive tourette's, that was him being as straightforward as possible

whatta maroon

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

that's not even an "i misspoke" kind of thing -- unless he's got some kind of executive tourette's, that was him being as straightforward as possible
i cant get over the fact that it occurred at an event that was specifically about women and technology

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

unfortunately the apple apps for numbers and pages are more like the apps in microsoft's old "Microsoft Works" budget package.

i mean, in all honesty, as much as i love apple's products, i gotta admit that pages and numbers are upkept and fancy versions of the MS Works respective applications. They are too dumbed down and there is no pro level real "Office" apps that apple offers

any specific things you'd like to see? (I'll preempt "pivot tables in numbers" since that's been said)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

Office 97 was the last version of office that actually improved upon the former version, instead of stepping sideways in one way or another

this but office 2001 for Mac, peak office on its original platform

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

each version of office ups the supported database size for outlook, i think because when office 97 came out people were just starting with email and they have to expand support for those who keep every email they've been sent since then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

they were also done in by the shift from dos to windows 3.x. lotus and wp and borland and ashton tate were slow to release win3 versions of their software (and what they released was usually half-assed and buggy), while msft pulled out all the stops to make word and excel the best-in-class on windows.

Lotus was pretty quick with Improv for Windows though

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

it doesn't have datanitro

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
numbers is fine for me but businesses literally run on insane piles of excel macros

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
actually i mostly just use google docs now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

univbee posted:

each version of office ups the supported database size for outlook, i think because when office 97 came out people were just starting with email and they have to expand support for those who keep every email they've been sent since then

why would they not just use a database that's not size limited?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

gargle dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would they not just use a database that's not size limited?

i guarantee microsoft would have support calls within the hour for 1.5TB PST file repairs

• Locked thread