Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I ended up watching a couple of network shows On Demand earlier this year and it was definitely a mixed experience. The NBC shows I watched didn't have any commercials but the Fox ones did and they were pretty annoying. Especially the one where it was related to the show I was watching and gave a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

An episode of a show will take as long to pirate as it would to just sit through 3 30-second commercial breaks.

Maybe years ago, but the world we live in today is one where you can stream pirated movies and television as quickly and easily as you would watch it legitimately on Netflix.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

On an unrelated note to Simpsons-chat, this has always struck me as one of the weirder things about SA. Is there any major reason why admitting to pirating stuff gets you probated/banned, or is it just because gently caress pirates?

It's even sillier considering that we have an entire forum dedicated to illegal drugs that has a sizable body count and used to sell drugs :airquote:plant food:airquote: on SA-MART, or that we had an online poker forum that continued to exist long after online poker was outlawed in America and was used for what was basically money laundering. Or how Games lets people talk about emulation and mod chips and abandonware, so you have people making guides to playing a pirated copy of Persona 3 on your Android phone without consequence even though it's just as illegal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe years ago, but the world we live in today is one where you can stream pirated movies and television as quickly and easily as you would watch it legitimately on Netflix.

I'm pretty sure you really shouldn't post the image you did (edit: but I'm not going to report you for it, that's just silly). Also, I don't think you mean "world" as many countries, surprisingly, are not America and have much slower Internet or usage limits. Even in America not everyone has access to (or wants to pay extra for) exceptionally high speed - heck, some people still use DSL (how gauche, I know).

quote:

Or how Games lets people talk about emulation and mod chips and abandonware, so you have people making guides to playing a pirated copy of Persona 3 on your Android phone without consequence even though it's just as illegal.

It's still a ban/probation to actually link or tell people where to find ROMs or even abandonware. As far as I'm aware, all the popular emulators are legal (PS2 emulation requires you to take an extra and illegal step but what you're talking about - PPSSPP - is a perfectly legal program as far as I'm aware).

precision fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

I love this argument. People in Africa can't even get clean drinking water stop whining about tv.

I will gladly stare at 60 seconds of nothing to not watch a 30sec ad for beezid or waxvac

I would sacrifice so many African children to never have to see another commercial.

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure you really shouldn't post the image you did (edit: but I'm not going to report you for it, that's just silly).

It's just a stock image of Popcorn Time. I think everyone knows it's totally illegal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 23, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

It's just a stock image of Popcorn Time. I think everyone knows it's totally illegal.

I say that because I had actually never heard of that program so for me it fell under "telling someone how to pirate something". I guess my pirating methods are old fashioned!

fake edit: Deadpool is so gonna yell at us when he gets up.

real edit: VVVV Yeah but it's also wildly off-topic and I think I accidentally started it, for which I'm sorry.

precision fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na, no one is providing links to anything illegal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JohnSherman posted:

In much the same way that all cable networks are commercial free, right?

In much the same way that premium cable networks are commercial free, yes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

Guys.

Guys!

All this TV that I talk about that comes from America which takes months to come out in the UK? I pirate it.

Whew, so glad I got that off my chest!

Hey, it works both ways. You really think I wait four extra hours to watch Doctor Who on BBC America with badly placed ad breaks? Or three months to watch Sherlock on PBS? Also QI.

To be fair, though, if the Beeb started offering an, I dunno, international streaming license to use iPlayer for people that didn't live in the UK I totally would pay it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 23, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Canada airs it simultaneously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait so is somebody seriously arguing that we should just be fine with commercials? I watch exactly ads for two shows: Arrow and Flash and that's because the child that lives within me is too hype to wait until those shows come out on Netflix. I either wait for the shows to come to one of the streaming services I subscribe to or I buy the season on iTunes. With the price of modern cable packages you can buy something like 20-25 shows for the annual price of cable.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 23, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ad revenue as part of overall revenue for TV networks has been declining YoY (which is one of the reasons why we've been seeing carriage battles between MSOs and content providers more frequently.) Eventually, this will work itself out. We are in a transition period right now so everyone is throwing everything at the wall to see if it sticks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Canada airs it simultaneously.

Pretty sure 6PM in Canada is not the same as 6PM in the UK. Unless you're talking about a different channel than Space.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Hey, it works both ways. You really think I wait four extra hours to watch Doctor Who on BBC America with badly placed ad breaks? Or three months to watch Sherlock on PBS? Also QI.

Is QI back yet? I need my fix of inappropriate light reggae.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Wait so is somebody seriously arguing that we should just be fine with commercials?

Several people seem to be, it's baffling.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Is QI back yet? I need my fix of inappropriate light reggae.

Series L started on the 3rd.

zoux posted:

Wait so is somebody seriously arguing that we should just be fine with commercials? I watch exactly ads for two shows: Arrow and Flash and that's because the child that lives within me is too hype to wait until those shows come out on Netflix. I either wait for the shows to come to one of the streaming services I subscribe to or I buy the season on iTunes. With the price of modern cable packages you can buy something like 20-25 shows for the annual price of cable.

I typically watch my favorite shows live but this season I've been waiting about a half hour or so specifically to skip the ad breaks because Massachusetts' TV gets lousy with political ads and gently caress political ads.

The most annoying part is that, because a decent chunk of southern NH watches Mass' broadcast networks, about half of the ads are for NH candidates so not only are there more political ads than there would normally be half of them aren't even relevant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I usually wait on TWD and watch it all at once but the season premiere had so much buzz, I said gently caress it and watched it on the TWC app. Not only did it have just as many breaks and ads as if I watched it live, half the goddamn ads were for the show I was actually watching.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Pretty sure 6PM in Canada is not the same as 6PM in the UK. Unless you're talking about a different channel than Space.

Wrong word. What I meant is Canada airs it at the same relative time.

But then again the afternoon is the time to be watching children's shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

The most annoying part is that, because a decent chunk of southern NH watches Mass' broadcast networks, about half of the ads are for NH candidates so not only are there more political ads than there would normally be half of them aren't even relevant.

The DC market is the absolute worst for this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Wait so is somebody seriously arguing that we should just be fine with commercials? I watch exactly ads for two shows: Arrow and Flash and that's because the child that lives within me is too hype to wait until those shows come out on Netflix.

I don't know about Flash, but the CW website usually has Arrow up for streaming commercial-free the next day.

As far as commercials go on streaming, if they have to have them I think I'd be okay with it if they just front-loaded the episode with a couple minutes of commercials so you didn't have to watch them spread out through the show. I mean, if you're accessing it on demand it's not like you can skip ahead or just tune in a few minutes late if they don't let you, right?

I mean, I guess in that case you could just set it on and go do something else for a couple of minutes, but then they could still probably come up with some input requirement to ensure you're there to see them.

IRQ posted:

The DC market is the absolute worst for this.

I think you get that a lot in any multi-state area, Philadelphia stations get PA, Jersey, and Delaware political ads.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Series L started on the 3rd.

I typically watch my favorite shows live but this season I've been waiting about a half hour or so specifically to skip the ad breaks because Massachusetts' TV gets lousy with political ads and gently caress political ads.

Can I have a minute of your time to talk about Jeanne Shaheen

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fateo McMurray posted:

Can I have a minute of your time to talk about Jeanne Shaheen

Reported.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Wait so is somebody seriously arguing that we should just be fine with commercials?

Well, I don't have cable. I pay Comcast for one thing and one thing only: Internet. And if I had a choice, I'd pay someone else for Internet, but they're my only option (aside from DSL, which, just, no).

So, given that I don't pay for cable, I am fine with paying $8/month to Hulu so that I can watch, at my leisure, a wide selection of old and new shows, all in one place. The commercial breaks are very short and don't bother me because it's just 30 seconds. I can check my texts or read a page of a book or just open a new browser tab and do something else until I hear that the commercial has ended.

I think it is reasonable to be "fine" with that, if being fine with that is helping those networks continue to get money, which is a resource that, and this is just my layman's understanding here, is a necessary thing in order to have "actors", "directors", "sets", "scripts", and so forth.

It's the same reason I pay Spotify. I'd rather be, in some small way, providing revenue to artists than pirating their material because I know that realistically I can't pay for every single album I want (I listen to literally thousands of musicians at this point in my life) and it's strictly better than pirating the ones I don't feel compelled to purchase outright.

Now, if Hulu+ generated enough revenue (like Netflix does) to where the ads were felt to be unnecessary, I'd be fine with that too.

I guess I'm just like, you know, :chillout: Being fine with a few short ads is better than being mad about them, if only to keep your blood pressure down. There are a lot of things in life that are worth getting angry about, I'm amazed if anyone seriously thinks that commercials fit in that category.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Reported.

You sound like someone who may have shaken hands with Obama once. I bet you even voted to cut education funding (in 1995) you're not getting my vote.

"chill out it's not a big deal" can be applied to literally any discussion about tv, so that's just a lame cop out stop doing it.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

"chill out it's not a big deal" can be applied to literally any discussion about tv, so that's just a lame cop out stop doing it.

To add to this, it can be applied to literally any discussion period, and it's a lovely, empty argument every time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fateo McMurray posted:

My intention wasn't a lame cop out, my intention was a sincere appeal to people to calm down. Some posters were starting to sound like they were actually in some way outraged or genuinely angry about the topic, and my suggestion to chill out for the sake of your blood pressure was not a joke!

raditts posted:

To add to this, it can be applied to literally any discussion period, and it's a lovely, empty argument every time.

Well thankfully that was only something I said at the very end to add a bit of levity and was not the entirety of my argument at all! :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm a little baffled why people bring up HBO Go as an example as what they want, do they realize the full extent of that request?

HBO costs upwards of $20 a month straight to the subscriber (and I'm willing to bet they charge the cable company carriage fees on top of that.) Their output is high quality, but it's also lower volume than most of the other networks out there. So, you're paying $20+ /month for a single network for the privilege of being ad free.

Would you be willing to pay $15-20 /month per network represented on Hulu to get it ad free?

When it comes right down to it, streaming takes eyeballs off the linear channel which runs ads. Ads represent over 50% of the revenue that networks take in. You cannot reasonably expect them to take a 50% hit in revenue just because you are viewing the content OnDemand over the internet instead of in front of the TV. That's just the way the economics of TV work right now. The price Hulu charges in no way offsets the lost ad revenue + lost carriage fees (on top of the the cost of running the infrastructure for Hulu), so it's offset with ads (fewer than you would get if you watched it live though.) If you want an ad free experience, buy individual shows from iTunes/Google Play/Amazon/Vudu. You'll end up paying less than your cable subscription in the vast majority of cases, you'll get the content in higher quality, and you'll be able to watch it whenever you want on whatever device you choose. That's the only way you are going to send a message that you would rather pay for things a la carte and ad free. It also is just as easy as torrenting unless you count putting in your credit card number an insurmountable obstacle. With the advent of the $35 Chromecast and the fact that Google Play Video is available on every single platform out there, the only literal excuse for torrenting rather than buying is simply "I don't want to pay for it." That's fine if you feel that way, but don't pretend that it isn't super easy to watch this stuff legally now and pay for it. By opting out of contributing any money at all for the content you are consuming, you abdicate your vote as to what direction that content delivery takes.

As I mentioned above, revenue from ads are declining as the attention for our eyeballs has been divided more and more and fewer and fewer people are watching ads due to DVRs. If they can see a relevant business model that still lets them money that gets them out of this trap, they will likely explore it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

muscles like this? posted:

I ended up watching a couple of network shows On Demand earlier this year and it was definitely a mixed experience. The NBC shows I watched didn't have any commercials but the Fox ones did and they were pretty annoying. Especially the one where it was related to the show I was watching and gave a spoiler.

Yeah, in the Xfinity app at least, it definitely seems to differ by network how obnoxious the ads are. ABC's shows are the worst by far, that I've seen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I found a lot of OnDemand network programming will have full ads as broadcast for the first 7 days after airing. After that, they tend to drop them for much shorter ad breaks (if any at all).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

It's also blithely dismissive of anyone else's opinions.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de50trNEvf8

It's such a...

The teaser is so basic, so...it brings Low Winter Sun to mind and that's never a good thing. But hearing those words out of Coach's mouth chills me to the core.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reading about the show I instantly was reminded of Revenge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

It's such a...

The teaser is so basic, so...it brings Low Winter Sun to mind and that's never a good thing. But hearing those words out of Coach's mouth chills me to the core.

Well I'm already sold.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DivisionPost posted:

It's such a...

drat you Kyle Chandler. Already in my mind I'm giving the people behind the show credit for knowing less is more.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

I usually wait on TWD and watch it all at once but the season premiere had so much buzz, I said gently caress it and watched it on the TWC app. Not only did it have just as many breaks and ads as if I watched it live, half the goddamn ads were for the show I was actually watching.
Watching TWD on AMC's website is by far the worst for streaming out of all the networks/shows I watch. It constantly flips into "Hey I think your connection is poo poo, better switch to unwatchable 240p quality", constantly runs ads for TWD even though I'm watching it, and launches ads like 2 seconds after the show comes back from the actual ad break which kind of ruins most jump scares/cliffhangers that are supposed to go into a break.

raditts posted:

I don't know about Flash, but the CW website usually has Arrow up for streaming commercial-free the next day.
I watched last night's Arrow at like 11pm on CW's website, and Flash has been up after midnight the couple of times I watched it there as well. Plus CW's video player has the ground-breaking feature of just letting you pick your bitrate so I don't have to sit through constantly changing quality, it's great.

precision posted:

My intention wasn't a lame cop out, my intention was a sincere appeal to people to calm down. Some posters were starting to sound like they were actually in some way outraged or genuinely angry about the topic, and my suggestion to chill out for the sake of your blood pressure was not a joke!
No one is actually mad, hth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait so you can watch Flash and Arrow on the CW website ad free the next day?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think there are ads that get taken out by Ad Block Plus, but otherwise, yeah. The CW puts up all of their programming the next day and leaves new episodes up for at least a month or so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

Maybe I'm old, but goddamn, what's the big deal?
This is where I am during everyone of these debates. I still have vivid memories of messing around with a VCR timer to record six hours of shows on a VHS one show at a time and wearing that tape so thin I couldn't see anything. I'm still in the high from how the DVR lets me follow shows each week without actually locking me into them at the same time each week or how missing one week's episode doesn't mean I'm screwed until it airs as a repeat. I'm still reveling in being able to watch whole seasons of shows without dropping $30 a pop or even worse waiting weeks in syndication. Ads on On Demand or Streaming services? Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

I totally get that as the technology evolves and as generations grow up with it that the appreciation for its vast improvement over the previous setups will lessen. I just always end up feeling so old during these things because I just don't feel the same (for lack of a better word) entitlement for it and still have this "when I was a kid we had to watch everything live and you better be back from the bathroom before the commercial break or you're hosed!" mindset.

I mean, I'm still loving being able to rewind a few seconds to catch a sports highlight I missed or a line I didn't catch. I feel like it's going to be a long time before I let out anything more than a grumble when I'm stuck watching commercials on the show I didn't catch live, didn't record, and am now watching at me leisure without doing anything.

Don't get me wrong, some ads or services suck. The ones that repeat the same ad over and over can drive you mad, the stuff that ends up playing over episodes or interrupting them mid line suck, and there's definitely a line where too many ads is overkill (if it's taking me longer than an hour to watch the show then we have a problem). And I really wish my cable's On Demand would let me skip forward in an episode so I'm not stuck watching the half of the episode I already saw before my recording got messed up. Just give me some ads for it like Hulu or other streaming services do. Just do me a favor and unlike Hulu don't make them all the same ad.

But for the foreseeable future that's all going to stay very minor headaches and things I grumble about before I sit down to watch my show. I still feel like it's that Louie CK bit where he gets mad at the guy on his flight who complained about no wireless while they were flying through the air.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugh, I still remember the first DVD season sets I saw for sale were those X-Files ones that sold for $110 a pop.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I still feel like it's that Louie CK bit where he gets mad at the guy on his flight who complained about no wireless while they were flying through the air.

Pretty ironic considering that Louis CK is one of the pioneers of completely bypassing the traditional distribution channels and selling their content directly to consumers over the internet, ad-free and for a fraction of the price of a traditional DVD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hope and vaseline posted:

Ugh, I still remember the first DVD season sets I saw for sale were those X-Files ones that sold for $110 a pop.

I vividly recall my mother paying $90 for a copy of Beverly Hills Cop on VHS.

• Locked thread