Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The one thing about modern TV that genuinely angers me is looking at those boxes of vhs tapes and dvd box sets sitting in my house useless that I spent God knows how much money on. poo poo, some of it wasn't even that long ago. Forget the absurdly priced vhs sets from 15 years ago, I can't believe I spent $100 for The Wire just like five years ago when it's streaming on like three services for me now.

But I'm sure there's some dude looking at a box of laserdiscs or beta tapes who has it way worse off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STAC Goat posted:

This is where I am during everyone of these debates. I still have vivid memories of messing around with a VCR timer to record six hours of shows on a VHS one show at a time and wearing that tape so thin I couldn't see anything.

Even worse is before cable having to make sure you remember to set the antenna in the correct position for the station you were recording or else all you would get is static.

I'm only 35, but that was my experience up to the beginning of high school when cable finally became available on our street. DVRs were in their infancy and only about two years old after I graduated college and started adult life, so the fact that I can record 6 things at once in HD and then use a SlingBox to watch it anywhere I drat well please still boggles my mind a bit.

We live in a day and age where for only a handful of dollars, you can watch pretty much anything made anytime anywhere. That, by itself, is incredible. Yes, some experiences still stuck and even the ones held up to a golden standard misstep (I don't expect HBO to fix their android app until 3-6 months after the release of 5.0.) But things change a lot, very quickly. HBO going and making a streaming only package available next year is HUGE and will let a lot of people who have been hanging on to a cable sub just for it to cut the cord. When others follow suit and aren't able to monetize to the levels of HBO, there's hope that they'll get the idea that stuffing ads down our throat isn't the way to go.

Alternatively, the future is this.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/22/technology-changed-product-placement/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 23, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

The one thing about modern TV that genuinely angers me is looking at those boxes of vhs tapes and dvd box sets sitting in my house useless that I spent God knows how much money on. poo poo, some of it wasn't even that long ago. Forget the absurdly priced vhs sets from 15 years ago, I can't believe I spent $100 for The Wire just like five years ago when it's streaming on like three services for me now.

But I'm sure there's some dude looking at a box of laserdiscs or beta tapes who has it way worse off.

Yeah I feel like a bit of a dumbass for paying HBO's absurd prices for Deadwood, especially since I logically knew I could just torrent it but I wanted to have the physical discs for whatever reason.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hope and vaseline posted:

Ugh, I still remember the first DVD season sets I saw for sale were those X-Files ones that sold for $110 a pop.

I will never forget the anime boom starting just as DVDs were becoming a thing, and a local Suncoast having one series in a $400 set. It was something like 10 discs, it was nothing but random one-shots, one per disc, and it didn't even come in a box, it was 10 discs in a transparent plastic chain. They hung it on the wall with a price tag.

It was absurd to a degree I would never see again, and thank gently caress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like boxsets :shobon: I mostly bought them on sale though.

I dunno, I prefer to watch series on tv rather than stream it on my laptop.

Edit: In my defense, there aren't many streaming services available in France for now, Netflix became available last September and that's it.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

HBO going and making a streaming only package available next year is HUGE and will let a lot of people who have been hanging on to a cable sub just for it to cut the cord.
I think this number is much lower than you think it is. On the other hand, the number of people hanging onto a cable sub just for ESPN is much larger. However, that's not going to change, not when you get something like the NBA getting $24 billion for the next 9 years.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

With the advent of the $35 Chromecast and the fact that Google Play Video is available on every single platform out there, the only literal excuse for torrenting rather than buying is simply "I don't want to pay for it."

I just wanted to respond to this part. We are almost there, but there is still one reason remaining and that is time of availability. If I could buy the show I want to watch on Amazon and have it available the same night it airs, I would be in. But in almost all cases, anything like this is delayed by a day. Alternately, I'd also be fine streaming the show with the same commercials it got over the air for free as long as I don't have to pay for it if it was on a normal free over the air channel.

In most cases, neither of these things is actually available. That is what it would take for me. Now, there are plenty of shows that I don't feel I need to watch the moment they air, and for those shows, the existing options are actually great. I do buy some stuff on Amazon for that reason, or in some extreme cases wait till they show up on Netflix/Amazon Prime. But there are some shows I want to see and talk about at, or at close to, the same time as everyone else and for those, torrenting is pretty much the only option.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kurtofan posted:

I like boxsets :shobon: I mostly bought them on sale though.

I dunno, I prefer to watch series on tv rather than stream it on my laptop.

Edit: In my defense, there aren't many streaming services available in France for now, Netflix became available last September and that's it.

Of course, you can get a Blu-Ray player or something and easily watch streaming services on your TV (when more become available in France).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lycus posted:

Of course, you can get a Blu-Ray player or something and easily watch streaming services on your TV (when more become available in France).

How does that work? Would I need an ethernet cable or something?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kurtofan posted:

How does that work? Would I need an ethernet cable or something?

I think most if not all Blu-Ray players have WIFI now.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lycus posted:

I think most if not all Blu-Ray players have WIFI now.

Really? That's amazing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are so much that have built in services now. Wii, Wii U, PS3, Bluray, Roku, etc. Hell my TV can stream Amazon Prime and has wifi built in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why you wouldn't just move to America. America's the greatest country on earth and our tv is like a million times better than anything Europe has ever, or will ever, produce.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you think they watch in Europe Joe?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The UK has those silly panel shows that I like. They got that going for them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

There are so much that have built in services now. Wii, Wii U, PS3, Bluray, Roku, etc. Hell my TV can stream Amazon Prime and has wifi built in.

For some reason my PS3 maintains a better quality stream from Netflix than my computer does. :iiam:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What do you think they watch in Europe Joe?

Old black and white soviet propaganda films on CRT televisions yellowed from all the cigarette smoke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, they watch what we watch. Often in the same language thanks to the superior European school system.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

My dad was cleaning out his garage and brought over a huge box of VHS tapes of movies I bought in college because I resisted upgrading to DVD as long as I could. Who needs that expensive new poo poo when VCDs look just as good on my TV!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

Actually, they watch what we watch. Often in the same language thanks to the superior European school system.

Not in France haha.

There's no Doctor Who like French dubbed Doctor Who.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

This is where I am during everyone of these debates. I still have vivid memories of messing around with a VCR timer to record six hours of shows on a VHS one show at a time and wearing that tape so thin I couldn't see anything. I'm still in the high from how the DVR lets me follow shows each week without actually locking me into them at the same time each week or how missing one week's episode doesn't mean I'm screwed until it airs as a repeat.

LMAO if you didn't use those 20-digit VCR Plus codes in the TV Guide to record what you wanted.
Seriously though, I'm pretty sure my VCR let you schedule recording for certain channels at certain times. Man, I haven't thought about that in a while, those were dark times.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreenNight posted:

I actually used my Wii U to stream netflix once, it wasn't bad.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Arrow/The Flash producer Greg Berlanti is now developing a drama for Fox called Riverdale, which, if the name didn't clue you in, will be based off of Archie comics. :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

LMAO if you didn't use those 20-digit VCR Plus codes in the TV Guide to record what you wanted.
Seriously though, I'm pretty sure my VCR let you schedule recording for certain channels at certain times. Man, I haven't thought about that in a while, those were dark times.

I recall the dark days of piracy being 2 VCR's hooked together.

I sure hope that doesn't count as telling anyone how to get :filez:!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I recall the dark days of piracy being 2 VCR's hooked together.

I sure hope that doesn't count as telling anyone how to get :filez:!

Banned for :tapez:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Afterlife with Archie :pray:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I doubt it's going to be as good as Archie's Weird Mysteries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie%27s_Weird_Mysteries

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUERtAe73NI

This show came out the year I was born. For a time I existed on the same planet that hosted Supertrain.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUERtAe73NI

This show came out the year I was born. For a time I existed on the same planet that hosted Supertrain.

Looks better than the Love boat, to be honest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hasn't Archie been doing some really weird/progressive stories in the past decade?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They've been doing things like introducing gay characters and having storylines like an Occupy movement happening in Riverdale. They've also been doing weird What If/Elseworlds-type stuff where Archie marries Betty and Veronica and one where Archie dies. Apparently it's boosted sales of the comics and created enough awareness for Fox to give this a shot. I guess this isn't the first time they've tried live action Archie on TV though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie:_To_Riverdale_and_Back_Again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

Yeah, my TV/VCR had a simple timer so I could just set it for 9 PM to 10 PM Tuesday or whatever. But God, those VCR+ things were hell personified. No one who didn't experience it first hand could possible understand what we went through. There's a real reason people used to joke about being unable to set their VCR timers. That poo poo was complicated!

And Jesus, the TV Guide. Remember a time when the ONLY way for you to know what was on TV was by buying a TV Guide or a newspaper? No guides on the TV. Then somewhere along the line they introduced that channel that scrolled through all the channels for the next two hours and the game changed. Now I could see what was on TV for the next hour! As long as I had the patience to wait! Wait, gently caress! I got distracted and missed my channel! Ok, have to wait another few minutes for it to scroll around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When is that last man on earth Fox show supposed to debut?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, my TV/VCR had a simple timer so I could just set it for 9 PM to 10 PM Tuesday or whatever. But God, those VCR+ things were hell personified. No one who didn't experience it first hand could possible understand what we went through. There's a real reason people used to joke about being unable to set their VCR timers. That poo poo was complicated!

And Jesus, the TV Guide. Remember a time when the ONLY way for you to know what was on TV was by buying a TV Guide or a newspaper? No guides on the TV. Then somewhere along the line they introduced that channel that scrolled through all the channels for the next two hours and the game changed. Now I could see what was on TV for the next hour! As long as I had the patience to wait! Wait, gently caress! I got distracted and missed my channel! Ok, have to wait another few minutes for it to scroll around.

They still have that TV guide channel for people with super basic cable and no cable box/DVR, but by now it's just two lines on the bottom third of the screen with the rest of it being old movies and ads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

They've been doing things like introducing gay characters and having storylines like an Occupy movement happening in Riverdale.

:catstare:

Go on...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Archie died saving the life of gay Barack Obama.

Seriously.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Modern Archie comics are literally the polar loving opposite of their reputation and that show is very likely to own.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

If they don't cast Will Poulter as Archie I just don't know what to say.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Modern Archie comics are literally the polar loving opposite of their reputation and that show is very likely to own.

They still have regular Archie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I hope the Archie show is crazy like the Dark Archie fan trailer where Jughead is gay, Moose is in roids, Betty blows Archie to keep up with Veronica and Reggie is a date rapist.

• Locked thread