Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McAlister posted:

And Herman Cain's political resume was ...?

Executive experience. He was a Business Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

You seem to think the F-35 is a defense project. Its not. Its a politically acceptable national jobs program.

On a serious note for a second, is there a study about the multiplier effect of defense spending vs other projects in terms of benefit to the economy? My first hypothesis would be that there would be some benefit to the need to stick to domestic vendors vs outsourced foreign goods and services....?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McAlister posted:

And Herman Cain's political resume was ...?

There was no misogyny in that post, you are an idiot, stop posting

Alpha House season 2 starts tomorrow (24 October). So there is a bright spot

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

People acting like a woman as the Democratic candidate wouldn't bring out an enormous and disgusting amount misogyny that will rival the racism directed at Obama are in for a big loving surprise.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Having the south secede would be the greatest thing for the USA. I say this as a person living in Georgia

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Winkie01 posted:

Having the south secede would be the greatest thing for the USA. I say this as a person living in Georgia

Except for all the minorities who would be stuck in the South without an uninterrupted framework of (at least nominally) effective federal civil rights protections (unless they just imported the Constitution and statutes wholesale which seems kind of counter to the idea of secession) which inhibits vote suppression schemes. Plus it would be a huge cultural loss for the U.S.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Reagan also nominated Robert Bork to SCOTUS, and Bork was a frothing religious lunatic.

Bork wasn't offered the seat just for his religiosity:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/bork-nixon-offered-me-scotus-seat-for-firing-archibald-cox

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Susana Martinez

If she ran then failing miserably at running for president could be to governors of New Mexico what going to prison is for governors of Louisiana/Illinois

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jagchosis posted:

If she ran then failing miserably at running for president could be to governors of New Mexico what going to prison is for governors of Louisiana/Illinois

Best thing about Bill Richardson was the photo of him digging into some wings watching the Super Bowl with Bill Clinton ... and then endorsing Obama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Warszawa posted:

Except for all the minorities who would be stuck in the South without an uninterrupted framework of (at least nominally) effective federal civil rights protections (unless they just imported the Constitution and statutes wholesale which seems kind of counter to the idea of secession) which inhibits vote suppression schemes. Plus it would be a huge cultural loss for the U.S.

No you don't understand, it's the south who are the stupid ones, ergo kick the poor and blacks out to improve our country wait poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Warszawa posted:

We could pull an Israeli settlement type thing where the good/minority parts are 'federal' property and the neo-confederates get to keep their trailer parks.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We could pull an Israeli settlement type thing where the good/minority parts are 'federal' property and the neo-confederates get to keep their trailer parks.

Hm yes we should reserve land for marginalized groups and administer it at the federal level, that certainly is a novel idea. :colbert:

But less glibly/ballbustingly, the real problem has never been the neo-confederates in the trailer parks, it's that the same attitudes can wear a suit and tie and set public policy.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Jagchosis posted:

EDIT: this was from an old website called Zug.com where a guy had the (pretty genius) idea of mailing every senator and asking for their favorite joke. We should do that again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The poor SHOULD die alone and helpless, agreedo fellow leftist.

Lol if you think Bubba Ray in his trailer is the problem with the Confederacy whitewashing bullshit.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

I think most people read an implicit "viable" into your question.

Sure. But the original quote was wishful thinking. There isn't a viable 2nd gen immigrate candidate of either gender.

As long as evil fluffy is wishing why explicitly rule out not just Clinton ( understandable calling her out, she's the front runner) but also any other woman? If the point was, "what will piss of the GOP the most" then clearly minority bi immigrant woman wins. If the point was that specific candidate A would spike blood pressure more than Clinton then name candidate A.

Re-write it in your head as, "forget soandso or any other man. I want a recent immigrant candidate."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Warszawa posted:

Hm yes we should reserve land for marginalized groups and administer it at the federal level, that certainly is a novel idea. :colbert:

But less glibly/ballbustingly, the real problem has never been the neo-confederates in the trailer parks, it's that the same attitudes can wear a suit and tie and set public policy.

The problem to me seems to be more the rotten gerrymandering system and "two senators for each state" that lets the lovely rural areas of America (lot of which are in the South) get far more influence then their population would otherwise merit.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I didn't really read it that way at all but I'm skimming on my phone. Just wanted to introduce a caveat to a citation of the Cain Train.

Digression incoming: how far removed is second-generation? I've heard it both ways - second-generation is first born in the US or second generation born in the U.S. I guess if it's first born the idea is "second generation immigrant" or "second generation American," but that either ignores that a generation born here isn't actually an immigrant generation and that just being born here doesn't mean your parent or parents naturalized.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

This might have been the case pre-Roberts

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

McAlister posted:

Sure. But the original quote was wishful thinking. There isn't a viable 2nd gen immigrate candidate of either gender.

Rafael Edward Cruz

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This might have been the case pre-Roberts

Well to the DOJ's credit they have aggressively looked for ways to enforce the remnants of the VRA.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Rafael Edward Cruz

Truth. Ostensibly Rubio too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Warszawa posted:

Best thing about Bill Richardson was the photo of him digging into some wings watching the Super Bowl with Bill Clinton ... and then endorsing Obama.

Nah man, it was the beard.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The poor SHOULD die alone and helpless, agreedo fellow leftist.

Lol if you think Bubba Ray in his trailer is the problem with the Confederacy whitewashing bullshit.

Someone post the "they have always worn suits, not hoods" essay

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

Someone post the "they have always worn suits, not hoods" essay

Is this the one you were looking for?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think you all are forgetting that Mitt Romney is 2nd generation of a Mexican immigrant family :v:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

There was no misogyny in that post, you are an idiot, stop posting

Alpha House season 2 starts tomorrow (24 October). So there is a bright spot

Does it all drop at once like Netflix?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Evil Fluffy posted:

So will the feds let him walk if he's informing for the state or can the Feds still decide "yeah we're going to put you in prison" even if it could be seen as a dick move from a legal perspective?

I doubt the feds would go after him for the same crimes, there is more dirt out there but I imagine it would be used more to pressure him for poo poo on other officials and there are a lot of them! Haley for starts, the Supreme Court Chief Justice is also probably dirty, and the whole House Ethics Committee would be a good place for them to start.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Gee, that wouldn't be the same guy who said the charges were a "political witch hunt" just a couple days ago or am I getting my indicted Republicans mixed up again (that's not partisan, I often get my indicted Democrats mixed up too)?

Not the same one but he made the same defense of course even though it was the Republican AG who went after him originally before getting forcibly removed from the case by our House "Ethics" Committee.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 23, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Does it all drop at once like Netflix?

That's my understanding.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Warszawa posted:

That's my understanding.

I remember Alpha House being a weekly released thing, actually.

Either way it's the kind of good news I needed today. (On the same page: finding out Butch Otter's ex-wife's name is Gay Simplot, or Gay Otter while they were married. Little things.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Warszawa posted:

That's my understanding.

Really? Because last season was a weekly drop if I recall correctly.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't agree with the author.

"It wasnt the KKK that wrote the slave codes. It wasnt the armed vigilantes who conceived of convict leasing, postemancipation. It wasnt hooded men who purposefully left black people out of New Deal legislation"

It was in fact the Klan doing those things. The Klan *were* the respectable members of society. In some places, you practically had to be in the klan to get anywhere in the local white society. That we think of the klan as redneck yokels only speaks to the success of anti-klan forces to de-legitimatize the klan.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Really? Because last season was a weekly drop if I recall correctly.

I kind of assumed they'd phased that out but I don't know either way.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ron Jeremy posted:

It was in fact the Klan doing those things. The Klan *were* the respectable members of society. In some places, you practically had to be in the klan to get anywhere in the local white society. That we think of the klan as redneck yokels only speaks to the success of anti-klan forces to de-legitimatize the klan.

Don't forget Superman.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't agree with the author.

"It wasnt the KKK that wrote the slave codes. It wasnt the armed vigilantes who conceived of convict leasing, postemancipation. It wasnt hooded men who purposefully left black people out of New Deal legislation"

There's a book called "Boy's Life" which takes place in the Ssuth with some fantastical elements that I read as a young kid and one part really creeped me out since it was real and I hadn't thought about it much at the time. They had a few characters that through the eyes of the main character (a white boy) were regular folks and one even did some stuff a good person would do. Then in a later chapter it's revealed that a bunch of these characters were secretly Klan members and you'd never know it since the book hadn't really given you an indication that they were over the top racist publicly. At that point my impression of the KKK was dudes in white sheets and hadn't thought that when they weren't in those robes they could be anybody.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'd agree that it isn't the South and Southerners that are the problem: it is and always has been the people who get elected in the south who are the problem.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'd agree that it isn't the South and Southerners that are the problem: it is and always has been the people who get elected in the south who are the problem.

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
And the marshals and cops get the same
But the poor white mans used in the hands of them all like a tool
Hes taught in his school
From the start by the rule
That the laws are with him
To protect his white skin
To keep up his hate
So he never thinks straight
Bout the shape that hes in
But it aint him to blame
Hes only a pawn in their game

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No you don't understand, it's the south who are the stupid ones, ergo kick the poor and blacks out to improve our country wait poo poo.

It's also blatantly obvious if you've read any history about minorities migrating to the North that the only reason northerners don't seem racist is that they don't have a bunch of minorities trying to live with them.

There's a reason why 8 of the 10 most Segregated cities in America are north of the Mason-Dixon line (or 18 of the top 25 if you include LA).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A Koch-funded group is running ads for the Libertarian candidate in North Carolina's Senate race, targeting youth with the slogan, "Get Haugh, Get High".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

There's a reason why 8 of the 10 most Segregated cities in America are north of the Mason-Dixon line (or 18 of the top 25 if you include LA).

Now your northern friend of the family's a Negro
You see he's got his dignity
Down here we're too ignorant to realize
That the North has set the friend of the family free
Yes he's free to be put in a cage
In Harlem in New York City
And he's free to be put in a cage in the South-Side of Chicago
And the West-Side
And he's free to be put in a cage in Hough in Cleveland
And he's free to be put in a cage in East St. Louis
And he's free to be put in a cage in Fillmore in San Francisco
And he's free to be put in a cage in Roxbury in Boston
They're gatherin' 'em up from miles around
Keepin' the niggers down

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

A Koch-funded group is running ads for the Libertarian candidate in North Carolina's Senate race, targeting youth with the slogan, "Get Haugh, Get High".

loving sold. Where can I vote?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

This election season is getting really surreal. By 2016 you won't be able to tell a tim and eric skit from real life and that scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Unfortunately for that plan a lot of the trailer park areas are where the blacks live. And increasingly Hispanics.

• Locked thread