Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Riptor posted:

did you even look at the picture

its obscured by trees and stuff and not the focal point of the scene

I suppose it might just hang around in the background but eehh

I'm just really fascinated. It was in a TRAILER. Not much happens by ACCIDENT in TV production, is all I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Riptor posted:

No episode of Doctor Who would ever merit four stars anyway.</relentlessnegativity>

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Riptor posted:

No, no, you see, clearly this is meant to be an intentional hint that a long-forgotten location from a 50 year-old serial is returning. After all, if it had been a mistake, they would have just changed the bus and reshot the scene, what with the infinite time and budget that all modern BBC shows have.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The bus is the Rani.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PantsOptional posted:

The bus is the Rani.

Can't be, Big Finish used that character this year! :shepface:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Missy drives the bus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DoctorWhat posted:

I suppose it might just hang around in the background but eehh

I'm just really fascinated. It was in a TRAILER. Not much happens by ACCIDENT in TV production, is all I'm saying.

Sure they do. You can find bits of modern Who where boom mikes are visible, or where there are continuity errors, or where props are obviously props (like Rory's badge).

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Potooweet posted:

Missy drives the bus.

A red double-decker bus... Missy is Iris Wildthyme? :psyduck:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Potooweet posted:

Missy drives the bus.

Missy is Christina de Souza :suicide:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Missy is Moffat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Missy is dull

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There's a crazy amount of cognitive dissonance to equate production gaffes like boom mics in shots and incorrect dates on badges that aren't meant to be focal points and having a full sized ad for your own show ON your show. The first is tiny; the latter is not. The first should be taken care of by studious and careful people who do their job, but are somewhat (only somewhat) forgivable because they are small and moderately easy to miss and probably only reviewed by one or two people; the latter would require such massive gaps in mental processing power by: everyone on set (actors, extras, directors, camera operators, sound engineers, etc); everyone reviewing test footage; the director of photography; the handful of people that presumably review the edited episode and whatever other hands view it before it gets to air because I'm sure I'm missing a few as I'm not a televisionologist. Possible, but it would be a massive oversight by everyone everywhere.

The two do not equate. I'd be more willing to accept that the trailer was cut from earlier footage that hadn't had the ad digitally replaced due to a rush - I know for certain they do a lot of sign replacing digitally now rather than mock up a physical new one, but even that's a massive stretch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Here's the shot uncropped in 1080.

Unless the shot lingers for more than a second, there's no way anyone would ever notice what the poster is. It's to show "holy poo poo, we're definitely in London and look at all these trees :wom:"

Turbonerds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not saying it's the same, I'm saying that the idea that there aren't accidents is silly.

E: And yeah, it's a single brief shot that has an ad that's obscured and out of focus.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 24, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus loving Christ it's an Easter egg

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Here's the shot uncropped in 1080.

Unless the shot lingers for more than a second, there's no way anyone would ever notice what the poster is. It's to show "holy poo poo, we're definitely in London and look at all these trees :wom:"

Turbonerds.

Come on. It's obviously Iris Whildthyme's TARDIS. That's why Katy Manning was on set earlier. As a Clockwise, she can go back and forth between various parallel universes and just happened to have picked up the ad from the same universe that Beep The Meep fought the 4th Doctor in.

EDIT: It's obvious - it's why Big Finish cancelled her series and also why Beep The Meep is conspicuously absent from any and all comics, audios, and books lately. Yes... that's the reason.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Honestly I would buy Moffat being so up his rear end that he'd do it. But on reflection, this next episode and the final two parter apparently constitute a single, huge, freaky-as-gently caress cyberman story. Even if the next episode only leads into it and isn't part of the same arc (ala Utopia), it'd gently caress up the finale's drive way too much because of clutter.

Chex Warrior
Oct 26, 2007
So... if the finale is Cybermen then Missy is Mr. Clever, right?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Emerson Cod posted:

Come on. It's obviously Iris Whildthyme's TARDIS. That's why Katy Manning was on set earlier. As a Clockwise, she can go back and forth between various parallel universes and just happened to have picked up the ad from the same universe that Beep The Meep fought the 4th Doctor in.

EDIT: It's obvious - it's why Big Finish cancelled her series and also why Beep The Meep is conspicuously absent from any and all comics, audios, and books lately. Yes... that's the reason.

No wonder Paul Magrs has been so active promoting his new, not-even-remotely-Wildthyme-related book on Facebook lately! It all fits together! Another masterstroke of intricate plotting by Moffat that only we, the true geniuses, can see!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chex Warrior posted:

That seems more likely. A part of the cyberplanner that got a little warped by being linked to the Doctor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

No wonder Paul Magrs has been so active promoting his new, not-even-remotely-Wildthyme-related book on Facebook lately! It all fits together! Another masterstroke of intricate plotting by Moffat that only we, the true geniuses, can see!

This is made hysterical by your Toph av, just have to say.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chex Warrior posted:

gently caress you might be right.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

gently caress you might be right.

Nope, Missy is going to be opposed to the Cybermen because they stop death, prolonging the lives of the converted unnaturally and stopping her from doing ... whatever it is she is doing.

The Doctor will have to team up with her, finding out a little bit of her plan and then she will escape in the final moments to be a returning villain next season, with only a little bit about her explained. Maybe it will end with her having Danny in her clutches or some poo poo.

Don't forget that Moffat has said he's planned the next season worth of storylines and has been revving up for his new on going plot.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/death-in-heaven-episode-synopsis.html

Did we know this yet? UNIT vs Missy and that's somehow related to Cybermen as well

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/death-in-heaven-episode-synopsis.html

Did we know this yet? UNIT vs Missy and that's somehow related to Cybermen as well

Yeah, Kate and Oswald are back.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The presence of Kate Stewart in the New Series (and with Jemma Redgrave's hair DYED BLONDE to match her original appearance in Downtime) is a goddamn triumph.

Chex Warrior
Oct 26, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope, Missy is going to be opposed to the Cybermen because they stop death, prolonging the lives of the converted unnaturally and stopping her from doing ... whatever it is she is doing.

The Doctor will have to team up with her, finding out a little bit of her plan and then she will escape in the final moments to be a returning villain next season, with only a little bit about her explained. Maybe it will end with her having Danny in her clutches or some poo poo.

Don't forget that Moffat has said he's planned the next season worth of storylines and has been revving up for his new on going plot.

Nah, dude. This isn't Supernatural, we're not going to see Heaven any more than we learned the Doctor's name. Missy's gonna be the hip new Cyberplanner and Heaven will be her hip new marketing plan. Should be noted I'm basing this entirely on:

Deep Breath: "needy game player" is a p good description of a parisitic chessbot. Also, Mr. Clever knew that Clara was The Impossible Girl.
Flatline: "Clara, my Clara" is an Eleven line.

Typing this it occurs to me that Missy may be Clara as 11 saw her: his mysterious deathless governess girlfriend. She's even got the Doctor's morality: Who could object to a full natural life followed by an eternity of Cyberperfection? *cough*Blowjobslab*cough*c:\people\riversong.exe*cough*

Mark my words, Missy is that Cybermite that zips away at the end of Nightmare in Silver.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Well that poster sure turned out to be a thing, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well that poster sure turned out to be a thing, right?

I won't say I told you so, but-

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ahem.

You were right and I was wrong.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I haven't seen the episode yet. You've got to be loving kidding me.

If you're not, then I don't think I'll bother with the episode. Or with this series anymore.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

If you're not, then I don't think I'll bother with the episode. Or with this series anymore.

This was the single worst episode of the revival by a country mile. DoctorWhat liked it, but it's only a matter of time before he changes his mind because of the rolling bandwagon of hate it's generated due to arguing that kids with mental problems shouldn't take their pills.

The poster meant nothing.
The trees are our friends.
Taking pills for mental health problems is bad.
The Doctor will leave children to die without a second thought.
More odd-couple level poo poo from Danny and Clara.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

The poster amounted to exactly what was shown in the trailer. Unless the scene went on a nanosecond longer or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

You misunderstand.

I was wrong and jumping at straws.

PriorMarcus posted:

This was the single worst episode of the revival by a country mile. DoctorWhat liked it, but it's only a matter of time before he changes his mind because of the rolling bandwagon of hate it's generated due to arguing that kids with mental problems shouldn't take their pills.

yuuuup

though it's not a "bandwagon" thing. It's a personal-experience-thing that got me, on reflection, really loving angry.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

though it's not a "bandwagon" thing. It's a personal-experience-thing that got me, on reflection, really loving angry.

Not the least bit surprised you have mental problems.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Not the least bit surprised you have mental problems.

Yeah, lots of people do. That's why the anti-meds message was such garbage.

I'm absolutely CERTAIN that at least one kid is off-meds or wants to go off-meds because of this episode and that's likely going to be a disaster for them :smith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder to not respond to Irish Joe, serial shitposter.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dabir posted:

Reminder to not respond to Irish Joe, serial shitposter.

Gotta make you think when the only person of sound mind posting here is a serial shitposter. :crossarms:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Irish Joe posted:

Gotta make you think when the only person of sound mind posting here is a serial shitposter. :crossarms:

Makes you think medical science still has a long way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The poster meant nothing.
The trees are our friends.
Taking pills for mental health problems is bad.
The Doctor will leave children to die without a second thought.
More odd-couple level poo poo from Danny and Clara.

Worst episode of the revival? Come on now, it was better than most of the episodes this series! How can you possibly think that was worse than (usual list of bad episodes).

• Locked thread