Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5pitf1re
Oct 4, 2014

space ninja in space

mikey posted:

Again, the CSM is being wasted (or isn't doing their job well, but I doubt that any part of this is their fault). This is the kind of thing that needs to be finalized in detail (down to individual module stats) and presented to the CSM for feedback for at least a week before the public ever hears about it.

It's like some math-challenged design lackey got the go-ahead to prototype these things with zero oversight from the few people at CCP who might have been able to tell that their implementation was a complete piece of poo poo. The lack of consistency points to someone twiddling with numbers on each module individually until they 'feel right', rather than having a unified overall design goal and using a spreadsheet to apply them in a consistent fashion. Ignoring, of course, that this whole concept is much better implemented as a damage mod or something similar than as 30+ different guns.

With their new "let's get player feedback as soon as possible" approach - which isn't necessarily bad - I think they might get rid of the CSM sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyra
Mar 26, 2006

:unsmith: :effort: :smith:

Definitely going to have to read up on all the upcoming changes. I assume there's something decent on themittani.com, or at the very least something that isn't terrible on gf.com?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

5pitf1re posted:

With their new "let's get player feedback as soon as possible" approach - which isn't necessarily bad - I think they might get rid of the CSM sooner or later.

Why? The voting process at least gives everyone a chance to put their own name, or their chosen candidate forward, and CCP gets a very cheap focus group to bounce ideas off. This ideally cuts the diarrhea signal to noise ratio you inevitably get when you shove an idea into the sphincter of EVE-O. If they actually used the CSM properly, it'd be great.

5pitf1re
Oct 4, 2014

space ninja in space

darth cookie posted:

Why? The voting process at least gives everyone a chance to put their own name, or their chosen candidate forward, and CCP gets a very cheap focus group to bounce ideas off. This ideally cuts the diarrhea signal to noise ratio you inevitably get when you shove an idea into the sphincter of EVE-O. If they actually used the CSM properly, it'd be great.

I guess you're right however seeing how they started to rush decisions without giving the CMS enough time to even react to changes is a little worrying.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

darth cookie posted:

Umm. Kind of? No major wars kicking off at the moment though it seems like a bunch of shitlers are marauding through our space as some kind of last hurrah before jump drive based ships get the gently caress nerfed out of them. Whether that makes the game better or worse remains to be seen at this point.

To be fair, we're doing the exact same thing with Reavers -- and we're better at it. We've killed something on the order of 20 renter POSes in a few days, including a CSAA that dropped a ridiculous number of researched battleship BPOs.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I thought the Reaver model was something being adopted and tested in anticipation of the changes, not a last hurrah. Or have I misunderstood?

5pitf1re
Oct 4, 2014

space ninja in space

darth cookie posted:

I thought the Reaver model was something being adopted and tested in anticipation of the changes, not a last hurrah. Or have I misunderstood?

That's right. It's currently being tested and it seems to be a very successful model so far. Hell, for some reason I actually enjoy grinding structures pre-Phoebe in that SIG ... what have you done to me mittens ...

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

5pitf1re posted:

That's right. It's currently being tested and it seems to be a very successful model so far. Hell, for some reason I actually enjoy grinding structures pre-Phoebe in that SIG ... what have you done to me mittens ...

As someone who, for a short while, lived out of a POS/Orca in a wormhole and dropped on renters, I can tell you that enjoyment goes away pretty quickly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

5pitf1re posted:

If the Sov structure HP drop goes through with Phoebe I expect it'll be even better.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

darth cookie posted:

If the Sov structure HP drop goes through with Phoebe I expect it'll be even better.

Yeah, that's basically the only change I can see favouring the attacker in Phoebe. Otherwise the jump drive changes are a kick in the dick for anyone interested in taking aggressive action as they'll have to deal with the longer logistic and reinforcement chains whilst defenders have assets in place. If poo poo goes wrong extracting will be a nightmare for attackers.

I expect several big welps as people over-commit after Phoebe and then get their poo poo kicked in.

Actually, if a ship is in Tidi does fatigue reduce at a non Tidi rate or is the jump cooldown affected by Tidi as well?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Munin posted:

Yeah, that's basically the only change I can see favouring the attacker in Phoebe. Otherwise the jump drive changes are a kick in the dick for anyone interested in taking aggressive action as they'll have to deal with the longer logistic and reinforcement chains whilst defenders have assets in place. If poo poo goes wrong extracting will be a nightmare for attackers.

I expect several big welps as people over-commit after Phoebe and then get their poo poo kicked in.

Actually, if a ship is in Tidi does fatigue reduce at a non Tidi rate or is the jump cooldown affected by Tidi as well?

It decays in real time.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, we're doing the exact same thing with Reavers -- and we're better at it. We've killed something on the order of 20 renter POSes in a few days, including a CSAA that dropped a ridiculous number of researched battleship BPOs.

Why would someone put BPOs in a CSAA? Wouldn't be the sensible thing to make BPCs at a station and use those BPCs to build the actual ships in a POS? Or am I missing something?

5pitf1re
Oct 4, 2014

space ninja in space

Amberskin posted:

Why would someone put BPOs in a CSAA? Wouldn't be the sensible thing to make BPCs at a station and use those BPCs to build the actual ships in a POS? Or am I missing something?

You're missing that we're going after renters. They are notoriously bad at EVE.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amberskin posted:

Well, if they're far away from a station, they would need a POS to copy them, I guess. Maybe they were renters without rights to any stations? Or it's just a classical case of poor decision making skills.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Munin posted:

We don't care about the jump drive nerfs :ssh:

Amberskin posted:

What explanation is needed other than "Pubbies are dumb"?

Also I need to double check but I'm pretty sure they were just BPCs.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Libluini posted:

Well, if they're far away from a station, they would need a POS to copy them, I guess. Maybe they were renters without rights to any stations? Or it's just a classical case of poor decision making skills.

Station one jump out that they had access to. to the guy's credit, he took it like a champ and was joking in local with us. Non-zero chance that we recruited him to rent from the cfc instead.

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

Above Our Own posted:

I know replicator makes it obvious he's multiboxing but I don't know that people realize how hard it is to detect third party tools interacting with your software. Especially when you need to keep a low false-positive rate and avoid breach of privacy concerns.

Blizzard spends a ton of resources keeping bots out of WoW and even they typically just resort to player reports combined with LCP movement tracking, which wouldn't be effective in EVE.

e. LCP tracking TLDR: Gathering bots in WoW tend to re-travel the same general paths even with slight randomization built in, something that is almost impossible for humans to do even if they're trying to. By extrapolating a path out into connected planes and measuring the incidence you visit those planes in a particular order over time, you have a very reliable method that only needs server-side data and will almost never flag an actual player. Neither here nor there but fascinating imo.

It sounds like your confusing bots with boxing software. Boxing doesnt = botting. Botting involves automation of the characters in question. If you send the same keystrokes to all your clients your still swnding keystrokea. However if you can goto bed and the characters keep playing that is a bot.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Do any of you chaps have a link to an up to date TypeID list, preferably as a CSV for use in trading spreadsheets?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Narciss posted:

Maybe someday SV will base out of a med clone station.

JohnSherman posted:

I mean really, as if anyone thinks this would actually happen.

:smug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Do any of you chaps have a link to an up to date TypeID list, preferably as a CSV for use in trading spreadsheets?

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/dump/oceanus-1.0-105658/

Those are database dumps from each major release. The one you want is probably invTypes. There's an XLS and SQL format version.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

mrmcd posted:

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/dump/oceanus-1.0-105658/

Those are database dumps from each major release. The one you want is probably invTypes. There's an XLS and SQL format version.

legend! cheers

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Beanage posted:

It sounds like your confusing bots with boxing software. Boxing doesnt = botting. Botting involves automation of the characters in question. If you send the same keystrokes to all your clients your still swnding keystrokea. However if you can goto bed and the characters keep playing that is a bot.

You should write an essay for us. This all sounds incredibly complex. :allears:

It does seem though that eve's entire business model is focussed around having multiple accounts. Having only played the game for a few months I'm already thinking about getting another account to do PI and hauling. I'm definitely more addicted to watching my skill queue than actually playing the game.

Has CCP ever published stats on how many eve accounts vs actually players there are. I guess it's a bit difficult to track with most people subscribing their second or third accounts with plex?

Fake edit: I remember a guy that was multiboxing 20 mages in WOW back in the day. Was absolutely hilarious watching him 1 shot people with 20 fireballs.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My tangirene dream is that all of you die at the sweaty cheeto stained fat hands of Replicator. I hope he he shitbombs your titans with gimmacky frigates, as this is how this game is rolling. I hope he murders you on TIDI, and the mods lol their asses off as thy deny your ship loss because you are a loving goon.

K bro? Did we miss sommen there mang?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

R-Type posted:

My tangirene dream is that all of you die at the sweaty cheeto stained fat hands of Replicator. I hope he he shitbombs your titans with gimmacky frigates, as this is how this game is rolling. I hope he murders you on TIDI, and the mods lol their asses off as thy deny your ship loss because you are a loving goon.

K

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

R-Type posted:

I find your theories fascinating, do you have any other wisdom to drop on us?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I find your theories fascinating, do you have any other wisdom to drop on us?

I'm sure he's got a full spectrum to drop on us.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm sure he's got a full spectrum to drop on us.

the autism spectrum

do ho ho ho ho ho ho

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

That was like their last big hurrah, it's all boring rear end hotdropped smartbombing battleships now for easy safe killboard padding

Whatever happened to that Dread bowling trick that so many people hailed as a revolutionary addition to capital warfare?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Zephyrine posted:

Whatever happened to that Dread bowling trick that so many people hailed as a revolutionary addition to capital warfare?

It's an extremely situational tactic.

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

Maneck posted:

All good.

Efforts to turn this around on you failed as you have a total of 13 posts on this forum, all but one in this thread over the past day and a bit.

Just know if I buy plat its going to be so I can read your posts. I have a strong feeling it will reward me with many lol moments.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Beanage posted:

Just know if I buy plat its going to be so I can read your posts. I have a strong feeling it will reward me with many lol moments.

Is this the latest Missartaq account?

georgesil
Aug 14, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

We don't care about the jump drive nerfs :ssh:

What explanation is needed other than "Pubbies are dumb"?

Also I need to double check but I'm pretty sure they were just BPCs.

There were BPO's too Kalenn and the the guy was quite bitter when he said he wished for us to "blow up at least until he's renting with us"; anyway we're Goons Grrr!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

smg77 posted:

Is this the latest Missartaq account?

Missartaq is all of these terribly posting people who have registered in the last 14 or so days specifically to post in the EVE thread.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Beanage posted:

Stop posting. Nobody cares.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Zephyrine posted:

I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

Please evac my poo poo before it's too late. :ohdear:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Daler Mehndi posted:

Please evac my poo poo before it's too late. :ohdear:

Of course.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can anyone explain to me the point of this trial account skill shuffle? Why is CCP restricting carrier skills for trial accounts? Considering that carrier skills have individual prereqs which take longer to train than a trial account lasts, isn't this just a ridiculous redundancy? Or does it suggest that suddenly people might be able to play trial accounts for longer than 21 days?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Can anyone explain to me the point of this trial account skill shuffle? Why is CCP restricting carrier skills for trial accounts? Considering that carrier skills have individual prereqs which take longer to train than a trial account lasts, isn't this just a ridiculous redundancy? Or does it suggest that suddenly people might be able to play trial accounts for longer than 21 days?

The point is to basically show players "you can't get this skill in the trial time, don't even bother". Seems like they're making restricted skills more of a guideline on what you can't/really shouldnt train when you're new, and a handful of skills that are restricted because they'd be exploited if you could (cynosural field theory, cloaking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Beanage posted:

Please do it. Use your :10bux: to do a lot of reading, so you have less time to shitposting.

:frogout:

• Locked thread