Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've decided to let Ozy and Max have hard-boiled eggs again. I'll keep you updated if they go horny and insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chili posted:

So Ziggy is still a little skittish around our hands. He won't come out willingly, but when we eventually manage to get him out, he calms down a lot.

Our new strategy is taking him out every day, bringing him out of the cage room, taking him to the kitchen table and feeding him delicious fruit.

It's working:

He's a good little baby.

Bird trivia for you, birds, like people, have a "handed-ness." Most birds are left-handed, but judging by these pictures Ziggy is a rightie. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I got back home yesterday, and two out of three birds are apparently very angry with me. I'll let you guess who the one who forgave me was. :3:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

I got back home yesterday, and two out of three birds are apparently very angry with me. I'll let you guess who the one who forgave me was. :3:

Steve! Because cockatiels are the best!

chthonic bell posted:

My budgies don't hold anything with their feet. Possibly because they're still young??

My budgie never held anything with her foot her entire life v:shobon:v

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pip pip pip posted:

Steve! Because cockatiels are the best!

Every other time he's been the first to fly over and whistle at me, but this time he's wanted nothing to do with me. He finally came out of his cage earlier (I opened it, therefore it was Not Good and he wouldn't leave), then when he was flirting with Ohtori and I put my hand near, he actually charged it and bit me repeatedly. Yay for hormonal birds.

(The answer is Ohtori, because 'Tori bird is the best bird)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

My budgies don't hold anything with their feet. Possibly because they're still young??

Also, it turns out they're almost definitely English budgies, so um: what's the life expectancy of those?

The only thing Fuji holds with his feet are my fingers, and sometimes one of his toys. I think it's just a personality thing.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Sociopastry posted:

The only thing Fuji holds with his feet are my fingers, and sometimes one of his toys. I think it's just a personality thing.

Chuffy holds his toys with his feet, usually when he wants to hold them steady while he chews them, licks them or plays with them.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Boodge Bum posted:

Chuffy holds his toys with his feet, usually when he wants to hold them steady while he chews them, licks them or plays with them.

Yeah pretty much the same as this, i've never seen a budgie hold something the way the bigger parrots do.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shamelessly stealing this from the GW2 thread.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pet tonging is the best thing

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I like how it's freaking out to start with, then kinda sits there thinking that it wasn't as bad as it thought it would be.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
I want to see the frames in between. There a youtube video?

Karl was being very cuddly today, getting scritches and cuddles for a good while.
Then he threw up a little in his mouth and tried to put it on my finger with his tongue.

It's nice to be loved by a bird...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The differences in its face/body language between shots are hilarious. I wonder if Ohtori would let me do that to him?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Uh. One of the budgies is sneezing, but both look fairly healthy - no runny eyes or nose, no wheezing. They're just making a little "tchu" sound every so often.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

Uh. One of the budgies is sneezing, but both look fairly healthy - no runny eyes or nose, no wheezing. They're just making a little "tchu" sound every so often.

This is fine. Sometimes birds just sneeze. Like anyone else, really. Just keep your standard eye out for sickness and you'll be fine.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

chthonic bell posted:

Ritz sneezes almost every night in his sleep, whenever he's disturbed by a noise. He also sneezes a bit during the day too. After $1000 in vet bills, he has allergies just like his dad :toot:

Just keep an eye on it as was mentioned above. Could be anything from a flek of dust in his nose to whatever else. Bird sneezes are cute anyhow :3:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Lenswork posted:

Happy Halloween!

This is amazing :kimchi:

I saw a documentary last night that featured ARA and it made me think about you! I was going to text you but it was a bit late.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard of Smart posted:

I saw a documentary last night that featured ARA and it made me think about you! I was going to text you but it was a bit late.

A documentary other than parrot confidential? I wonder which one it was, and which people and locations were involved. I definitely have some questions about that.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I found these on the internet:

:3: Bird love

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

help me im melting it's too cute

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know why but my conure loves my crotch area. If I'm at my desk, he'll sit there and have a ball. He sings, he preens, he's happy. It's weird, but I think I'm destined to only own weird birds.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
He has a ball, eh?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

artichoke posted:

He has a ball, eh?

Two in fact!

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know why but my conure loves my crotch area. If I'm at my desk, he'll sit there and have a ball. He sings, he preens, he's happy. It's weird, but I think I'm destined to only own weird birds.

hold on a minute here

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
How's Zeke holding up, by the way?

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Currently, he's yelling at me for not letting him be the first bird in line for bedtime kisses. Taka was too cute today not to snuggle one more time.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Scout does this too.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Convince me out of adopting another bird. I saw this little guy and my heart broke.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/pet/4681903740.html

I talked to the owner and they might be willing to just give him to me to rehab him, but I don't know anything about parrotlets. And idk what Fry would think about sharing his human. The lady said she covered him one night and he picked himself clean that night. I would be his 4th owner.

People suck so bad. What do I do bird crazies?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
As heartbreaking as that is I don't think you should. Parrotlets have a reputation for being fiercely one-person birds and might decide it loves you and hates Fry or the other way around.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Getting ready to head to San Bernardino tonight and spending extra cuddle time with the birds, and jj is only interested in chewing up the suitcases. :sigh:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Getting ready to head to San Bernardino tonight and spending extra cuddle time with the birds, and jj is only interested in chewing up the suitcases. :sigh:

You'll be (sort of) in my neck of the woods!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

You'll be (sort of) in my neck of the woods!

Going to Knotfest :black101:

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Hey all, I've been thinking of getting a bird for a while now, but I'd like to know if this is a good idea (for the bird that is!).

It would be my first bird, never had a bird before.
I really want a cockatiel or a conure, but I haven't decided on that yet. I'm leaning towards a conure.
I currently live on my own and work full time. Is this going to be much of a problem? Including commute, I'll be away 10 hours each work day.

Are there any other things I should keep in mind for deciding whether I should get a bird or not?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

MG42 posted:

Hey all, I've been thinking of getting a bird for a while now, but I'd like to know if this is a good idea (for the bird that is!).

It would be my first bird, never had a bird before.
I really want a cockatiel or a conure, but I haven't decided on that yet. I'm leaning towards a conure.
I currently live on my own and work full time. Is this going to be much of a problem? Including commute, I'll be away 10 hours each work day.

Are there any other things I should keep in mind for deciding whether I should get a bird or not?

Being away for ten hours a day is workable, but certainly not ideal. Do you think you'll be able to reliably give the bird about 1-2 hours of out-of-cage attention when you are a home a day?

It may sound like a lot of time, but birds need social interaction.

Since you're going to be away from a decent chunk of time, have you considered getting two birds? They'll keep each other company while you're away. Tiels can do well sharing a cage, Bubbles and Kima have shared one now for 2 years and it's mostly been fine. Conures are probably a little different there.

Also, just out of curiosity what are the benefits you're looking for out of bird ownership? Tiels and conures both make for great pets but they are appealing in different ways.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Also consider avoiding petsmart/petco when you do find your new buddy.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, how many people here have UV lights? Father in law doesn't believe anyone actually uses them and I am trying to convince him otherwise.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

MG42 posted:

-Availability of an avian/exotics vet
-Cost of said vet
-Allergies. Cockatiels are also much dustier than conures
-Size of cage, cost of it, and space where you live to fit it
-The mess they potentially make
-Noise level, and not just your comfort level but neighbours comfort level with that
-Diet (pellets, where to get them from, storage), and maybe even preparation (make the fresh food before you go to work, or prepare batches at weekend and freeze?)
-Whether you would be prepared to get two, to keep each other company, and then any hormonal issues if you got a mated pair
-That they should get at least 12 hours of darkness everyday to help with the hormonal issues
-Do you have any teflon products?
-How your life might look in five, ten, twenty, even thirty years (for the conure) and if you'll still be able to have the bird/s then!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@MG42 Why not a pair of budgies? Mine chatter and tweet and nuzzle all day and keep each other company when I'm out. They were loud but only for the first few days when they screeched in panic, now it's just general chatter chatter. I'm saying this from the UK where budgies are extremely popular and very common pets. I have no idea how popular they are anywhere else.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Thanks for the advice all :)

Chili posted:

Advice.

Attention time is no problem. I got plenty of time after work to care for birds.
Two birds is actually a good idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Battle Pigeon posted:

More advice.

There's plenty of avian vets closeby, the prices are affordable too.
I don't have any allergies, so that's a plus.
I have a fairly sizable living room connected to the kitchen. I do have a teflon cooking pan. How much of a problem is this? Should I move the cage closer to a window in this case?
I'll have to check with my neighbours, but the other points won't be a problem.

learnincurve posted:

@MG42 Why not a pair of budgies? Mine chatter and tweet and nuzzle all day and keep each other company when I'm out. They were loud but only for the first few days when they screeched in panic, now it's just general chatter chatter. I'm saying this from the UK where budgies are extremely popular and very common pets. I have no idea how popular they are anywhere else.

I might consider this. Budgies are pretty popular here in The Netherlands as well. My mum used to have two budgies, so I could ask her for advice as well.
I just really like the look of conures and how derpy cockatiels act. Do budgies get along well with tiels and conures? (in case I might go for budgies first and the bigger birds later.)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I would not count on your budgies getting along with other bird species, if you went that route. Budgies are tiny, hyperactive little devils; cockatiels are pretty chill, but this means a budgie could annoy the hell out of them, and conures are fearless for their size and wouldn't hesitate to attack another bird. Since budgies are much smaller than conures, that's potentially fatal.

You should ditch the Teflon pan for your own safety too, to be honest. Getting a Teflon pan too hot, or scratching it with a serving spoon, can release toxic gases. Ceramic is a much safer nonstick option!

Two conures would be a good idea if you can afford it, so they don't get lonely or bored. This has the added benefit of conures being adorable love-monsters, so you'd get to see stuff like this:
and these

I don't know about Aratinga conures (the bigger, usually brighter ones) but Pyrrhura (smaller, primarily green) are flock birds more than one-person bonders, so even if your pair are inseparable they'll still have some love left over for you.

Fake edit: Goddammit Firefox conure is a real word, get over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't know about Aratinga conures (the bigger, usually brighter ones) but Pyrrhura (smaller, primarily green) are flock birds more than one-person bonders, so even if your pair are inseparable they'll still have some love left over for you.
Most of the larger ones are as well, but they are also all MUCH louder, with the exception of the dusky conures (which are Aratinga but I think the smallest of the bunch, still slightly larger than most Pyrrhura)