Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Avengers World is OK. It's just three short unrelated arcs with small teams happening and being printed in parallel instead of sequentially. It's no Superior Foes, but it's fine.

Superior Foes still hasn't told us who got the crap kicked out of him in Boomerang's place has it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When I finished Superior Foes 17, I genuniely thought that was the very last issue. And I was pissed since it didn't finish any of the stories. Since finding out that there is at least one more issue left, I'm far more relaxed about it. That being said, there's a lot to wrap up in one issue.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just before we see the cast of Eva, he's not as obvious, tho.

I was at my local comic shop today and the owner pointed out the Eva cast to me. I can't believe I didn't catch it the first time I read it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

When I finished Superior Foes 17, I genuniely thought that was the very last issue. And I was pissed since it didn't finish any of the stories. Since finding out that there is at least one more issue left, I'm far more relaxed about it. That being said, there's a lot to wrap up in one issue.

Not really though, is there? I mean, all that's left is seeing who gets Silvermane's head/leadership of the Maggia and seeing if Shocker gets his revenge. Boomerang got his happy ending (for now).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Suben posted:

Well minis don't really seem to exist anymore for Marvel beyond the rare one here or there. They seem to like going the "maxi-series disguised as an ongoing unless it does well" route.
Generally mini-series sell worse than ongoing series from day one (outside of event ones obviously) so given the market it makes a perverse amount of sense to announce ongoings even if the internal expectation is that it will be a six issue mini-series and if the sales are better than expected, keep it going.

I don't have actual figures in front of me, but I know that even by issue 6 or 12 most terrible selling series featuring C-List characters usually find themselves dipping just slightly below 10k (or maybe 8500k) by the end of their runs, while a lot of mini-series end up closer to 5,000 by the finish. To use one month at random, October 2009:
code:
Uncanny X-Force		1	95,639	
New Avengers			5	73,409	
Avengers			6	73,258	
Secret Avengers			6	68,617	
X-Men				4	63,772	
Wolverine			2	63,210	
Uncanny X-Men			529	62,256	
Amazing Spider-Man		646	58,125	
Amazing Spider-Man		645	56,709	
Thor				616	51,051	
Ultimate Comics Thor		1	49,747	MINI
Captain America			611	48,788	
X-Men Legacy			241	48,133	
Carnage				1	47,452	MINI
Shadowland			4	46,411	MINI
Invincible Iron Man		31	45,507	
Daredevil			511	43,167	
Hulk				26	42,934	
New Ultimates			4	42,876	
Fantastic Four			584	41,163	
Incredible Hulks		614	39,572	
Daken Dark Wolverine		2	38,660	
Ultimate Avengers 3		3	38,529	MINI
Incredible Hulks		615	36,750	
X-23				2	35,280	
Deadpool			28	34,828	
Ultimate Spider-Man		15	34,657	
Chaos War			1	34,509	MINI
Steve Rogers Super-Sol.		4	32,967	MINI
Shield				4	32,495	
Avengers Academy		5	31,272	
Thunderbolts			149	30,580	
Thanos Imperative		5	29,614	MINI
Chaos War			2	29,375	MINI
Deadpoolmax			1	29,176	
X-Factor			210	27,548	
New Mutants			18	27,027	
Secret Warriors			21	24,728	
Shadowland Spider-Man		1	24,583	ONE-SHOT
Thor For Asgard			3	23,724	MINI
X-Men Curse of Mutants		2	23,362	MINI
Ultimate Comics Mystery		4	23,334	MINI
Invaders Now			2	21,137	MINI
Loki				1	21,095	MINI
Deadpool Corps			7	19,644	
Deadpool Team-Up		888	18,394	
Shadowland Moon Knight		3	18,318	MINI
Klaws of Panther		1	16,973	MINI
Deadpool Pulp			2	16,782	MINI
Black Widow			7	16,653	
Shadowland Blood On Streets	3	16,396	MINI
Thor First Thunder		2	16,126	MINI
Hawkeye & Mockingbird		5	15,337	
Shadowland Power Man		3	15,147	MINI
Punisher Max Tiny Ugly World	1	15,071	ONE-SHOT
I Am An Avenger			2	14,882	MINI
Iron Man Legacy			7	14,882	
Taskmaster			2	14,553	MINI
ASM Presents Black Cat		4	14,478	MINI
Avengers & Infinity Gauntlet	3	13,796	MINI
Spider-Man Vs Vampires		1	13,395	ONE-SHOT
Klaws of Panther		2	12,960	MINI
Incredible Hulks Enigma Force	2	12,634	MINI
X-Men Forever 2			9	12,260	
X-Men Forever 2			10	12,064	
Captain America Patriot		3	11,959	MINI
New Mutants Forever		3	11,910	MINI
Strange Tales 2			1	11,800	MINI
Iron Man Titanium		1	11,333	ONE-SHOT
Young Allies			5	11,265	
Fantastic Four Ataque Del Modok	1	11,187	ONE-SHOT
Spider-Man Fantastic Four	4	11,019	MINI
Captain America Forever Allies	3	10,813	MINI
Thor Mighty Avenger		5	9,673	MINI
Spider-Man Back In Quack	1	9,262	ONE-SHOT
Avengers Vs Pet Avengers	1	7,097	MINI
Granted, some of these sold terribly because of the low-profile characters and creators involved, or because they had the death-knell NOT REALLY IN CURRENT CONTINUITY flag on them (Thor: TMA, Iron Man Legacy, a lot of the minis) but look at the difference in sales between Captain America and Steve Rogers, Super Soldier. They're both written by Ed Brubaker and both tie into Brubaker's overall big successful Captain America saga, but the one labeled a mini-series sold 16,000 fewer copies.

Dan Slott, who at this point had been announced as the sole Spider-Man writer and had been part of the "braintrust" writing Amazing Spider-Man for the past few years wrote a Shadowland one-shot starring Spider-Man and it sold less than half of what the regular ASM book did.

They managed to get marginal bumps in Black Panther's numbers by renaming it DOOMWAR for a six issue mini, but when they relaunched a new Black Panther (mini) a month later it dropped at least eight thousand orders from Doomwar, and Klaws of the Panther #1 actually got almost 2,000 orders fewer than the last issue of the Black Panther ongoing that ended earlier in 2010, with the same creative team.

They kept trying to give books like Atlas and Incredible Hercules a boost with "series of mini-series" and pseudo-events but beyond a first issue bump or two (usually assisted by a bunch of variant covers) both series invariably ended up in worse shape by the end of each mini-round.

Anthologies forever sell for poo poo too, so really the best thing they can do is just throw out a series as a NEW ONGOING. Sometimes they'll stick, other times they won't, but it can't be any worse than soliciting minis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:( I liked those Panther books, Atlas/Herc and Iron Man: Legacy/Thor:TMA too. Legacy's second arc was awesome, drunk Tony putting together a start-up co-op in LA to rebuild his fortune and help an ailing community while inventing poo poo to benefit people, until the Pride from Runaways decides to mess with him and leads to a full-on brawl between the Pride and the Illuminati.

I suppose that similar logic is why the backup story experiment never lasts long, too?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Main series are really are the only thing that sells anymore and how much of that is just habit nobody can say.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
On the one hand, I liked that anyone cared enough to remember the other permutations of Spidey 2099 floating out there (and if you get highly specific with the amount of times 2099 has been visited by people and had things split off into other timelines, there are probably one or two left out there), but any joy was quickly snuffed out by how neatly and effortlessly they were dispatched.

I liked the whole "army of Spider-Men" thing that started in Superior 32/33, but for the most part I'm already getting a really bad vibe from this whole event. The whole "Hey, remember this Spider-Man? Pretty neat right? NOW HE'S BRUTALLY MURDERED!" thing is souring me. It's not enough to just take out the Spider-Men, they also have to be killed in front of their wives, parents, cute little dogs, etc.

I think I'm just bummed because even though I love all things 2099 (Marvel Knights 2099 doesn't count), this current series has been really uninteresting. I'm really glad Miguel is getting back to 2099 proper soon, because all the modern stuff is just so, so boring. I want Spider-Man 2099 zipping through the air and loving with flying police forces, not babysitting his grandfather and going to his corporate day job. I'm not sure how anyone who doesn't already come into the series with love for the character could stand it at all, nothing happens and everyone is unlikable.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
2099 has been fun even with Sliney's bad art and being stuck in the present. The writing's been entertaining enough.

And speaking of minis, Hobgoblin was fun. I like Kingsley reinventing himself as a super hero Malcolm Gladwell-type solely because it's an easier way to make more money.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the Axis thread or on here, but the Axis Hobgoblin comic is really good. It's hilarious, it's got great art, and it's got all the D-List heroes you could ask for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So how about ASM 8?

Glad to see Slott continues to treat other aspects of the Spider-Man mythos not created by Dan Slott with the utmost respect.

But hey they've successfully put me off even buying the DeFalco-written Spider-Girl tie-in to this event, so thanks for that, Marvel.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I would be less annoyed if they didn't already do this poo poo to Anya and to Miles, as though every teenage superhero in Marvel needs a Harry Potter origin story. Like, when literally every Spider character under a certain age has their parental figures get murdered, that's not a motif, that's sloppy writing. Kamala Khan's parents are so hosed.

Speaking more positively, it was a pretty good death scene for how little space they used. Like, if you're definitely gonna kill off MC2 Peter Parker, it should be in a sacrifice to save Mayday and Benjy. It just sucks that this keeps happening over and over again. At least they left openings for Mary Jane and Wes to still be alive if they ever use MC2 again after Spider-Verse.

At least the other half of the comic was pretty great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not just Marvel. DC do it too. Just prior to the reboot they killed off Clark and Barry's parents, because everyone has to be Spider-Man or Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For some reason teen heroes have become the ones who suffer the most hosed up, violent, body horror, sexually creepy poo poo in comics. If you see a new comic about a teen hero, especially if it's a team of teen heroes, the book is going to be more hosed up and gruesome than everything else being put out, except maybe Batman.

You'd think they'd want the books about the younger characters to be more light-hearted and fun, but nope. Ms. Marvel is a wonderful exception, but I fully expect people to put her though the meat grinder once the current creative team leaves. I blame Teen Titans.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

It always comes off as this ultra hacky "man, growing up sure is tough when uou hit the real world... hey I know...!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

It's not just Marvel. DC do it too. Just prior to the reboot they killed off Clark and Barry's parents, because everyone has to be Spider-Man or Batman.

The only time that Clark's foster parents were alive was post crisis. Pre crisis they were dead too.
The other thing that due to the way Marvel's multiverse works they can always say that the ones from this events are not the same ones from the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I blame Teen Titans.

Do you mean in general or a specific bit?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

Its Wendy, Marvin, and the Wonder Dog!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

In general.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Wendy, Marvin, and the Wonder Dog!
Honestly though, that's just kind of hilarious. Even as a little kid I wanted doom to befall all of the Super Friends.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

In general.

Fair enough, I think I can see that. The only Teen Titans I've read the whole way through was when Geoff Johns wrote it, and then only up as far as just after Infinite Crisis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You'd think they'd want the books about the younger characters to be more light-hearted and fun, but nope. Ms. Marvel is a wonderful exception, but I fully expect people to put her though the meat grinder once the current creative team leaves. I blame Teen Titans.

Honestly, I'd blame Spider-Man before you blame Teen Titans. As was mentioned, Peter Parker was a teenager who lost a parental figure and a girlfriend and his stories sold like gangbusters, so every writer saw a clear blueprint to success. I guess it's easy to pin some blame on Batman also, but ever since Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man really set the mold for "teen character's life never stops being lovely" that every bad writer has strived to emulate over and over again.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, I'd blame Spider-Man before you blame Teen Titans. As was mentioned, Peter Parker was a teenager who lost a parental figure and a girlfriend and his stories sold like gangbusters, so every writer saw a clear blueprint to success. I guess it's easy to pin some blame on Batman also, but ever since Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man really set the mold for "teen character's life never stops being lovely" that every bad writer has strived to emulate over and over again.

Contrast Spider-Girl, who managed to avoid almost all of that nonsense and still run for one of the longest solo runs for a female character from Marvel.

Why can't people tell the difference between 'everyman, who has some setbacks in his life like anyone else but ultimately rises above it' and 'constant Sisyphean torment'.

While I'm glad Spider-Gwen is the breakout character of Spider-Verse, I'm kind of sad that Spider-Girl won't get a similar chance at a new audience. But I guess she had a pretty good ending, up til Slott ruined it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was one of the 4 people who actually got a little annoyed when they renumbered Slott's She-Hulk run so she could have a #100 (despite it being across 4 volumes), about a month before Spider-Girl #100 was due to drop.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

The really horrible thing about Daemos wrecking the ending of Spider-Girl is that MC2 was like the last surviving series after One More Day where Peter still had a happy ending with MJ. Now, at last, that's been borked too, and by virtue of the fact this'll probably be the last meaningful time we ever see MC2 in anything, Slott managed to get the last word.

I'm not comparing OMD to Spider-Verse, because the former makes the latter look like The Killing Joke, but it is kind of a bitter pill that they finally did away with the one consolation OMD haters were left with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, there's probably a perfectly identical MC2 somewhere out there. After all, apparently there's a tie-in where Amazing Friends Spider-Man is going to be saved by (current cartoon) Ultimate Spider-Man after Slott viciously murdered him, so death is never the end when there's an identical you just one universe over.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're rescuing Spider-Man '66. My dad loved that cartoon. I was introduced to Spidey from the Amazing Friends show, which is totally different.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Contrast Spider-Girl, who managed to avoid almost all of that nonsense and still run for one of the longest solo runs for a female character from Marvel.

Why can't people tell the difference between 'everyman, who has some setbacks in his life like anyone else but ultimately rises above it' and 'constant Sisyphean torment'.

You're talking about a medium where plenty of people, both on the creative and journalism side, think that marrying a character is bad because it takes away potential storytelling drama or ages a character making them no longer relatable to the average reader.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Castomira posted:

The really horrible thing about Daemos wrecking the ending of Spider-Girl is that MC2 was like the last surviving series after One More Day where Peter still had a happy ending with MJ. Now, at last, that's been borked too, and by virtue of the fact this'll probably be the last meaningful time we ever see MC2 in anything, Slott managed to get the last word.

If it's any consolation, that Peter at least got to heroically sacrifice himself to save his family.
The way things are going in the Marvel Multiverse even if he hadn't appeared here, Peter and his entire universe would have died unaware when their Earth hit another Earth. Or he would have been gruesomly murdered by Thanos and the Cabal and turned into lawn chairs, right before they set off a bomb that blows up Peter's Earths.

Things be grim in Alternate Earth lands.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

The Question IRL posted:

If it's any consolation, that Peter at least got to heroically sacrifice himself to save his family.
The way things are going in the Marvel Multiverse even if he hadn't appeared here, Peter and his entire universe would have died unaware when their Earth hit another Earth. Or he would have been gruesomly murdered by Thanos and the Cabal and turned into lawn chairs, right before they set off a bomb that blows up Peter's Earths.

Things be grim in Alternate Earth lands.

That does bring up an interesting point - perhaps the reason why Spider-Verse is happening now, and all of these alternate Spider-Men are getting killed off is because the end game of Hickman's Avengers may be to wipe out the multiverse during Secret Wars anyway.

Considering they have the big Marvel writer retreats, I could see one leading into the other.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OGB posted:

That does bring up an interesting point - perhaps the reason why Spider-Verse is happening now, and all of these alternate Spider-Men are getting killed off is because the end game of Hickman's Avengers may be to wipe out the multiverse during Secret Wars anyway.

Considering they have the big Marvel writer retreats, I could see one leading into the other.

I'm going to guess it's the exact opposite, and the multiverse gets somehow brought back to where it was before the incursions started or something. So Slott can jerk off while murdering the Amazing Friends because it's the only way he can feel anything anymore and it doesn't actually matter because it's going to be reset in some way by Hickman anyway.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Would you say your hate boner is directly proportional to Slott's murder boner?

Have you tried not reading Amazing? I know it's tough, but I was able to skip Slott's entire solo run on the book until Spiderverse came about. It's been pretty fun so far, can't wait to see things really get under way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Would you say your hate boner is directly proportional to Slott's murder boner?

Have you tried not reading Amazing? I know it's tough, but I was able to skip Slott's entire solo run on the book until Spiderverse came about. It's been pretty fun so far, can't wait to see things really get under way.

I haven't read Amazing since it relaunched. And I didn't read any of Superior. I keep up with what's happening here, and Spider-Verse sounded interesting to me to the point where if it was getting good buzz here I was thinking of starting again. Then it turned into Slott murders all fun Spider-Men so I quickly changed my mind on that one. I'm not one of the people who talks constantly about how he hates a thing yet continues to support it financially.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did you at least read the Edge of Spiderverse one shots? They were fun stuff, and each stand on their own until the last couple pages of each issue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Did you at least read the Edge of Spiderverse one shots? They were fun stuff, and each stand on their own until the last couple pages of each issue.

Hey, here are some fun characters. Be sure to follow their stories when Dan Slott gets ahold of them and sucks all the fun out before killing them for shock value.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

I didn't, them being good will just makes it worse when Slott comes in and pisses on them to get the nerd rage flowing.

This thread is the sum of my Spider-Man exposure, it'll stay that way until Slott is gone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I don't read ASM anymore either, just read here to see what is happening and get a good laugh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah I grabbed them. I liked the weird stalker Peter horror comic one and of course Spider-Gwen.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

For some reason teen heroes have become the ones who suffer the most hosed up, violent, body horror, sexually creepy poo poo in comics. If you see a new comic about a teen hero, especially if it's a team of teen heroes, the book is going to be more hosed up and gruesome than everything else being put out, except maybe Batman.
Editorial and writers with massive personal issues about growing up would be the Occam's Razor explanation...

Lurdiak posted:

The worst part in Ms. Marvel's case is that her current writer's already had to do the "man, growing up sure is tough when uou hit the real world... hey I know...!" in the context of her superhero career so it wouldn't even be necessary to force "things get serious" on her again because her current writer's already done it... hell, her parents immigrated from Pakistan to get away from chaos, corruption, and bombings... only to find out about date rape drugs, school shootings, gangs, and after a giant robot attack her mom thought that she was crushed under the rubble of her school's wreckage... while still unaware that Kamala was previously shot in the gut.

At least Dan Slott had to play kiddie gloves with her portrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chortles posted:

At least Dan Slott had to play kiddie gloves with her portrayal.

Considering the reaction he'd get I'm sure it was actually really tempting for him to pull some crap.

• Locked thread