Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Aoi-chan posted:

Whenever I hear radio ads for the upcoming Joe Bonamossa concert, I think of you guys.

Also I thought "Schnecters" were just a product of trolling but I went in to my local GC recently and nope there was one in all its glory on the wall next to the cheap fenders.

Amazing.

schecters are good, except the ugly ones, they're just good but ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Spanish Manlove posted:

just buy some heavy gauge strings and tune down on a normal guitar, it sounds fine. I have two that I've done this to and I love both of them.

Or buy a Squier VM Bass VI and tune UP from low EADGBE. But yeah any decent "metal" guitar with neck through or bolt on construction in 25.5"> scale will have no problems tuned down to B or even A standard if you do a proper setup. Just buy a set of 7 string, strings and put the lightest one aside. Instant BEADGB tuning.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verizian posted:

Or buy a Squier VM Bass VI and tune UP from low EADGBE. But yeah any decent "metal" guitar with neck through or bolt on construction in 25.5"> scale will have no problems tuned down to B or even A standard if you do a proper setup. Just buy a set of 7 string, strings and put the lightest one aside. Instant BEADGB tuning.

Both of mine are 24.75 because gently caress it.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

just buy some heavy gauge strings and tune down on a normal guitar, it sounds fine. I have two that I've done this to and I love both of them.

I've got a 3/4 scale piece of poo poo tuned to a standard with baritone strings and after moving the saddles on the low strings all the way back and lowering them as much as possible, it's almost intonated right. Man up y'all.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Rip Jack Bruce, The only man that could make the SG bass look remotely cool.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dirt posted:

It should of been Clapton.
Bone Thugs' Crossroads > Clapton's Crossroads, hard to handle but true

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I've got* an RG550 from 1987** that is broken as hell*** but I've been thinking about taking it to the Jersey shore and tossing it in the ocean to see if it floats across to somewhere where White Dog Eggs can find it and do something with it, like maybe put a picture of Scott Baio on it.

* Never mind where and how I got it
** At least, that's the year that the website said when I entered in the serial number
*** The electronics are hosed up such that even touching the pickup switch tends to knock out the sound entirely, and some pieces of the Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents bridge are missing, and the fingerboard is all discolored the way those Ibanez fingerboards always seem to get

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 25, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

tacodaemon posted:

I've got* an RG550 from 1987** that is broken as hell*** but I've been thinking about taking it to the Jersey shore and tossing it in the ocean to see if it floats across to somewhere where White Dog Eggs can find it and do something with it, like maybe put a picture of Scott Baio on it.

** At least, that's the year that the website said when I entered in the serial number
*** The electronics are hosed up such that even touching the pickup switch tends to knock out the sound entirely, and some pieces of the Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents bridge are missing, and the fingerboard is all discolored the way those Ibanez fingerboards always seem to get

"The electronics are totally hosed."

Tech notes: One bad solder joint. Switch a little dirty.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tacodaemon posted:

The 550 can be a great guitar. Sort out the electronics, clean the fretboard, maybe let a luthier level the frets. Replace the stock "Made by DiMarzio" pickups with something you actually like.
Chances are, the fundamentals of the guitar are great, especially if it's a real Made In Japan '87. Replace the vibrato bridge with something new or, barring that, bond some metal under the missing saddle stops.
It might cost a little money but the '87s weren't quite ready for prime-time. A little TLC will make you fall in love with it.

Or, alternatively, just let my buy it from you and I'll do all that and you won't have to chuck it into the sea.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Faustus posted:

To be entirely fair: they're not hideous, they're not on topic; because they're from a time when Super-strats were being redesigned by people who knew what Super-strats needed to be to be awesome. You may not like the late-80s/early 90s colors, but that's ok. You can get guitars with the same specs made with traditional finishes and non neon-glow colors. I doubt you understand where they came from when they showed up in music stores, back before MARS music was the Wal-Mart of instruments and SAM ASH and MUSICIAN'S FRIEND/GUITAR CENTER came in and bought them all out, and all the local music stores died.

Hindsight, you probably don't understand what it did to the USA.

Those guitars are not ugly. They're hugely popular and I like watching you people pronounce how awful they are, but if you played them you'd probably love them.

Just my $0.02.oo.

whoa bro I was trying to be chill with you but if you want to continue chocking down jizz from Steve vai's tone handled cock go right ahead

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Acquire Currency! posted:

whoa bro I was trying to be chill with you but if you want to continue chocking down jizz from Steve vai's tone handled cock go right ahead
My two closest friends have 550s. They're great guitars, all of them. I don't have one.

Person asked question, we answered.

What's your loving problem?

E: Calling my guitars hideous does not count as "trying to be chill with you," cuntface.

P.S. - We aren't "bros."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 25, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lmao its been awhile since a good blowout

faustus i didnt know you were from charlotte, did you ever somehow get on a bill at the milestone and bust some sweet satch licks to annoyed punks?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I didn't. I was a weekly request at the open mic night on Central Avenue back in the day, but when I moved down here I lost my bandmates so I didn't play out much.
Before then, we played Hordes of Locusts, Satch Boogie, Memories, The Crush of Love, and Echoes in our three-hour setlist. It was fun and the audience loved it. We did originals and covers and we're getting ready to book gigs again.

The crowds we play for will not be annoyed punks. I've already stood in with his current band and we did Living Color and SRV, and people were literaly pulling me down by my right arm to tell me how it was just the music they wanted to hear.

You asked, I answered,

Anything else?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

tacodaemon posted:

All donations greatly received! I can see it now... "The Many Faces of Scott Baio". First you've got him in 'Bugsy Malone', then 'Happy Days' followed by 'Charles in Charge', then 'Diagnosis: Murder'. Gotta leave a blank space though, his greatest work might be yet to come.....

To be fair, from what you've typed it doesn't sound like it'd take too much fixing, it's not like it's covered in lead paint and filled with glazing putty or anything.

I've only just got home so I'll listen to these in a bit.

Also Faustus lay off the sauce you rummy, stop getting butthurt.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

:black101:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also Faustus lay off the sauce you rummy, stop getting butthurt.
WDE, I'm not drinking. I'm just sick of the holier-than-thou posting in this thread that started off on the very first page with my guitars.
What really gets to me (and I know it shouldn't) is the cadre of poo poo-posters who can't play but talk poo poo anyway. A tiny portion of the posters in this thread can pick up a guitar and make music (guys like muike, for example). The rest just have opinions about guitars but they can't play a hook to save their lives. It galls.

tacodaemon if you want to get rid of your 550 just PM me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Faustus posted:

My two closest friends have 550s. They're great guitars, all of them. I don't have one.

Person asked question, we answered.

What's your loving problem?

E: Calling my guitars hideous does not count as "trying to be chill with you," cuntface.

P.S. - We aren't "bros."

Lmao jfc

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

oh thank god

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

RIP Dr. Faustus

He was too on-topic for this world

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

TheChaosPath posted:

RIP Dr. Faustus

He was too on-topic for this world

hah yeah that's what loving happened

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
im really really curious what that sounds like unplugged

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i cant really get worked up about faustus cuz if his re-wired super strats make him happy then hey whatever man.

i do get worked up about these light up chinese guitars though.

i need one badly.

kill me.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

you know what the best part of that faustus meltdown was?

TRY PLAYING A SHOW WITHOUT... WITHOUT COMPUTERS... AND PROCESSING... AND... AND IT WAS DIFFERENT IN THE 90S YOU loving KIDS

cause no one plays guitar music with analog pedals anymore

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think the best course of action is to send White Dog Eggs the guitar to make a Dr. Faustus tribute series #1 - Scott Baio does Santana solos edition.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fax Sender posted:

i cant really get worked up about faustus cuz if his re-wired super strats make him happy then hey whatever man.

i do get worked up about these light up chinese guitars though.

i need one badly.

kill me.

Those LED ones look loving appalling and I want one. Maybe after Christmas....

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
as a matter of fact i wish to buy no new instruments unless they are made out of some form of see through plastic

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

shiksa posted:

im really really curious what that sounds like unplugged

i think the acoustic might sound okay. the electric looks like it's set up to be a solid body, but it looks thick as hell.

also the acoustic has a bolt-on neck for some reason

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Fax Sender posted:

as a matter of fact i wish to buy no new instruments unless they are made out of some form of see through plastic

Get a see-through plastic zither full of märzen for Oktoberfest. Run two plastic tubes up to your mouth, one for drinking the beer and one for controlling your Talkbox. Let your roadie (you have a roadie, right?) switch the tubes back and forth on you so you have to guess which is which. Prost!

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It'd be chill if he was all like, "hey you don't like my taste in guitars I don't like that, but I can accept that fact and enjoy my guitars without you." Rather than screaming at the world about how everybody is a terrible person for not liking Ibanez's and junk.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fax Sender posted:

Reasonable.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think the best course of action is to send White Dog Eggs the guitar to make a Dr. Faustus tribute series #1 - Scott Baio does Santana solos edition.

"ToneZ quest 2014: Scott Baio and beyond."

Also, that lovely Romanian guitar? Looking at it now I'm pretty sure that it's a Birch body sandwiched between two 3mm sheets of ply, this sort of makes sense for the front as steam-pressing plywood is a lot quicker than carving an arch-top, but the back??? My theory is that rather than rout out the binding channel, they just made the rear cap undersized, this would help explain why the routing sticks out more on the right-hand side.
Also the body weighs 7lbs. The GBScaster comes in at just over 5 and that's with the neck and all the hardware.

I cannot believe what a piece of poo poo this guitar is.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

tacodaemon posted:

Get a see-through plastic zither full of märzen for Oktoberfest. Run two plastic tubes up to your mouth, one for drinking the beer and one for controlling your Talkbox. Let your roadie (you have a roadie, right?) switch the tubes back and forth on you so you have to guess which is which. Prost!

holy poo poo

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As soon as I saw there were like 60 new replies to this thread, I knew Dr Faustus was back.

As far as awful guitar stuff goes, I volunteer as a guitar 'tutor' for people with mental health issues (not Faustus though) and had the joy of restringing a guitar that someone had very kindly intricately knotted half the high E string round the tuning peg. 20 minutes it took to extract that poo poo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

umalt posted:

It'd be chill if he was all like, "hey you don't like my taste in guitars I don't like that, but I can accept that fact and enjoy my guitars without you." Rather than screaming at the world about how everybody is a terrible person for not liking Ibanez's and junk.

yeah that's what I was Try'na be like with the dude but w/e

I mean I'm the kinda guy who only likes to play on tube amps and analogue pedals and poo poo. drat

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

:eyepop:
that has to be a photoshop
e: why did i even question that

bunky fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 26, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rstnOz1EmQ

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

bunky posted:

:eyepop:
that has to be a photoshop
e: why did i even question that

I have bad news https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1rstnOz1EmQ&autoplay=1

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ahaha what a loving hack job. does he not have a jigsaw or something? i just want a video of him playing that poo poo and ripping the bridge right the gently caress out of that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I used to think that Ibanez's were mostly for dirt rockers, but this thread has me convinced that I need to get some kind of shredder 80's guitar with a ridiculous paint job and maybe a dick hole.

• Locked thread