Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

pippy posted:

So you're saying to just straight up ask for it?

A lot of my worry is that GP's aren't always the most knowledge about ADHD, and I'm not either. So I feel the pressure to make sure I don't come across like I've self diagnosed, or feel too pushy and get shut down and ruin otherwise good relationship with my Dr.

I'm probably just over analysing it.

I saying ask for education on how to have a professional diagnose you. The reality is- if it is not ADHD you still want to find out what is having a negative impact on your life and correct it- right? You dont have to ask for anything more than- how do we do this?

It is his job to do the medicine. If he says something stupid like- I don't believe in ADHD you just say I can respect that- can you refer me to someone who is current? (That's a back hand, there are nicer ways to ask for a referral).

You simply want to be able to answer the question- why? Then you can talk about how it negatively impacts your life. You dont have to pre-diagnose yourself and prove to him you have it. You just have to present the negative impact- I'm failing in school. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my job. etc.

In other words- let the one with the medical degree do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's pretty much all there is to it, yes. A GP's job isn't to diagnose you, he just needs to refer you to someone with the training and qualification to do so. The rest will speak for itself, and if it doesn't, you can always go and get a second opinion.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Thanks!

I'll try to bring it up next time I go to my GP in about 3 weeks. I know that it's hard for me not to feel upset admitting things I struggle with, so there's definitely some anxiety in bringing it up. I've got about 10 minutes at a time, so I'm thinking that I should just book an appointment for as soon as possible to specificity bring it up before I chicken out, and not talk about the SSRIs I don't feel any different on, or the recent ear trauma that damaged my hearing a bit.

Writing notes helps me keep on track, I just don't my GP to complain that I was just there a week ago!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I increased my dosage today and have been in a posting binge ever since. The saddest reaction to getting hopped up on stimulants.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I'd post more but it takes me a horribly long time to write posts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

We probably won't hear from you for weeks once you go on medication. You'll have a lot of fun with what the stuff can do to your libido. I certainly know I wish I was having more of it right now.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

We probably won't hear from you for weeks once you go on medication. You'll have a lot of fun with what the stuff can do to your libido. I certainly know I wish I was having more of it right now.

Well I've not been diagnosed with anything. At least not yet, could always be something else even though it seems to make sence of a lot of things.

That's unless they were to just go off one of those questionnaire things, but the uk is pretty strict for that.

I got a couple things done recently, got a deposit back that's literally been sitting for me to claim for well over a year (£500) and I've registered to vote and I don't procrastinate having a haircut for months. But I've tried and failed to revise for upcoming exams. So I just need to be honest that I'm on the vurge of just giving up on my degree at literally the last set of exams.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

You'll have a lot of fun with what the stuff can do to your libido.

IIRC isn't it one of the common side effects of many RX is the loss of libido?

I'm not a doctor/pharmacist but I've completely forgotten that particular side effect because it never did seem that serious vs sudden death so...

The more things change, the more they stay the same :yaycloud:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It certainly doesn't for me, rather substantially the opposite really. Reputedly it can do either, though, sort of like how it gives increased appetite to some people and makes others accidentally starve themselves. Psychoactive drugs are weird like that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cardiovorax posted:

It certainly doesn't for me, rather substantially the opposite really. Reputedly it can do either, though, sort of like how it gives increased appetite to some people and makes others accidentally starve themselves. Psychoactive drugs are weird like that.

Yeah, it can go either way. Mine jumps and falls pretty much at random, but I'm guessing it's the drug cocktail on making it jump around and me taking it at different times every day. Yes it's bad, but my schedule jumps around so much, I might wake up at 5am one day and 11am the next, I can't really maintain a schedule

Insurance companies are really loving dumb. Mine didn't want to cover 3 pills a day of adderall 10mg and was giving me all kinds of grief, to get 90 pills of my original script, they made me get it over 45 days instead of 30 and pay extra. To get around this, my doctor put me on 20mg and told me to get a pill cutter.
I was waiting at the pharmacy for the "oh, your old prescription hasn't expired and this is even more drugs than before, we'll need prior authorization for this to be covered." Instead, my insurance looked at it and said, "20mg? That's a whole new drug now, we'll cover every penny." Now I'm getting more drugs than before, with less hassle, for less money :downs:

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Insurance companies are really loving dumb. Mine didn't want to cover 3 pills a day of adderall 10mg and was giving me all kinds of grief, to get 90 pills of my original script, they made me get it over 45 days instead of 30 and pay extra. To get around this, my doctor put me on 20mg and told me to get a pill cutter.
I was waiting at the pharmacy for the "oh, your old prescription hasn't expired and this is even more drugs than before, we'll need prior authorization for this to be covered." Instead, my insurance looked at it and said, "20mg? That's a whole new drug now, we'll cover every penny." Now I'm getting more drugs than before, with less hassle, for less money :downs:

Believe it or not it actually makes a little sense, if you were paying cash for 90 tabs of 10mg adderall it would be about $60, but 45 tabs of the 20mg cash would only be about $33. Mine wouldn't cover any of it without a prior authorization (it's like $45 what the hell) but that dosage combo is twice as expensive the first way he wrote it. Ah, insurance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, it can go either way. Mine jumps and falls pretty much at random, but I'm guessing it's the drug cocktail on making it jump around and me taking it at different times every day. Yes it's bad, but my schedule jumps around so much, I might wake up at 5am one day and 11am the next, I can't really maintain a schedule
Considering how short even slow-release stims last in the body, that seems like the only reasonable way to go about it. I take mine whenever I need to attend lectures, it's not much good for anything if I take it before or after.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

copper rose petal posted:

Believe it or not it actually makes a little sense, if you were paying cash for 90 tabs of 10mg adderall it would be about $60, but 45 tabs of the 20mg cash would only be about $33. Mine wouldn't cover any of it without a prior authorization (it's like $45 what the hell) but that dosage combo is twice as expensive the first way he wrote it. Ah, insurance.

But now I have 1.2g total of amphetamine salts for 30 days for $2.56, when before I would have only had 900mg total for 30 days for $23. It boggles the mind....

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Is is really that cheap? Last I checked, generic dexedrine had jumped to like over $500 for 90 pills. I would have assumed adderall would be the same way?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Is is really that cheap? Last I checked, generic dexedrine had jumped to like over $500 for 90 pills. I would have assumed adderall would be the same way?
:aaa: Seriously? My psychiatrist suggested importing some Adderall from the US when I considered trying it as an alternative to MPD, because you can't get it here, but at those prices that's obviously not an option. How much would you pay for a 30 box of 10mg Ritalin? Just so I have something to compare to.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yes. It used to be reasonable when I was a kid (for generics) but the last time I checked my desoxyn (generic) was about $4.50 a pill. I luckily have insurance now that covers most of it, but I was looking at my girlfriend's generic dexedrine script and it said the price billed to insurance was near $600.

I don't know about adderall as I haven't taken it in years but there was a big shortage of all the ADD stims when the price first started to rise so I'd have to imagine adderall was a part of that too.

What country are you in?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Germany. My statutory medical insurance is pretty awesome, I pay 5€ or nothing for pretty much everything and anything. I bought some instant release Ritalin out of my own pocket a few days ago, though, to see if it felt any different. 16€ or so for a 30-pack of 10mg.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Wow, I could get behind those prices for sure!

At any rate, I don't know if you've tried dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) or if it is available in Germany but I would recommend that over adderall, I think generally it's a bit better tolerated and basically is just the most therapeutic component of adderall packaged on its own. Generally it is more available outside the US than Adderall is, probably mainly because it is one of the older drugs used for ADD.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

:aaa: Seriously? My psychiatrist suggested importing some Adderall from the US when I considered trying it as an alternative to MPD, because you can't get it here, but at those prices that's obviously not an option. How much would you pay for a 30 box of 10mg Ritalin? Just so I have something to compare to.

My pharmacist said it's a little more than $3 a pill for 10mg generic with no insurance. God only knows what name brand is...

E: maybe it was ~$1.50 a pill for 2 10mg pills a day, but I can't remember

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wow, I could get behind those prices for sure!

At any rate, I don't know if you've tried dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) or if it is available in Germany but I would recommend that over adderall, I think generally it's a bit better tolerated and basically is just the most therapeutic component of adderall packaged on its own. Generally it is more available outside the US than Adderall is, probably mainly because it is one of the older drugs used for ADD.
After checking, it seems it is. My insurance might even cover it. Gotta talk to the doc about that next time I'm there. Otherwise it's apparently ~90€ for 50 á 5mg, but at least I wouldn't need to import it.

The Door Frame posted:

My pharmacist said it's a little more than $3 a pill for 10mg generic with no insurance. God only knows what name brand is...
Jesus, that's harsh.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
All I can say is I'm glad I live in the UK. Saved my rear end when I needed expensive anti-virals for barebacking in a stairwell. £1000 worth of drugs free at the point of care. :getin:

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

I check drug prices with goodrx.com, it gives an idea about the cash prices available in the US market. When I got my recent rx for Adderall 10mg #45, it was $47, but dexedrine ER is showing up around ~$300 for a month's supply in my area. It totally depends on the length of time the drug has been on the market whether it's $300 for a month of $45.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

But now I have 1.2g total of amphetamine salts for 30 days for $2.56, when before I would have only had 900mg total for 30 days for $23. It boggles the mind....

Yeah it's just about how the manufacturers price per pill. The difference between one pill of 20mg and 10mg might not be that substantially different, but the difference between #45 tablets and #90 will be substantial.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can really sympathize with that poo poo. Back when I was on misdiagnosed antidepressants I got put on Cipralex. Due to patent issues, the stuff went from basically free to 300€ a box overnight. I went through two of them on a monthly basis, for over a year. You can imagine that I was rather willing to try anything else at that point. I can't even imagine what living with a health system where everything is that expensive must be like.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I can't even imagine what living with a health system where everything is that expensive must be like.

:911:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Meaning that I genuinely can't, by the way. I'd probably be dead by now.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

You mean free market healthcare consumption liberty, of course.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh man I read some of your old posts on here, and drat I feel like I've been through similar stuff, the same anti-depressants and horrible metallic taste of zopiclone. How'd you pluck up the courage to get tested. I feel kinda sheepish again.

I mean if I brought it up when I first suspected ADHD I'd probably be evaluated by now. That's a loving depressing thought.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I check drug prices with goodrx.com, it gives an idea about the cash prices available in the US market. When I got my recent rx for Adderall 10mg #45, it was $47, but dexedrine ER is showing up around ~$300 for a month's supply in my area. It totally depends on the length of time the drug has been on the market whether it's $300 for a month of $45.

Oh, that site says up to $104 for 60 brand name 10mg pills in my area, so about $1.70 a pill without insurance

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Has anyone else here taken the strattera? I am almost two weeks in and still on a fairly low dose of 40MG (Ive had issues with nasuea) and the doc wants to hold off on upping it for another week.

The issue is to be honest I am not really feeling any impact at all. Just wondering how long this stuff is supposed to take to kick in or if its just not working, maybe the dosage is just too low. Its supposed
to be 1.2mg per kilo and I am rocking 94KG's so its rocking a little low on the dosage scale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pippy posted:

Oh man I read some of your old posts on here, and drat I feel like I've been through similar stuff, the same anti-depressants and horrible metallic taste of zopiclone. How'd you pluck up the courage to get tested. I feel kinda sheepish again.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that I had pretty much nothing left to lose. I've been in therapy, committed for more than three months, on more meds than I can actually remember and done more random crazy poo poo than most people do in their lifetime. For the last few years I've been willing to try anything, so long as there's the slightest chance of it helping. You can't imagine how much better I feel. I haven't slept without drugging myself for years and now I haven't needed a pill in over a month. When your whole life is an endless downward spiral of anxiety and depression, the minor stuff like "embarrassing yourself" or "looking crazy" kind of stops mattering. That actually explains a lot about me that you've probably been wondering about, by the way.

insidius posted:

Has anyone else here taken the strattera? I am almost two weeks in and still on a fairly low dose of 40MG (Ive had issues with nasuea) and the doc wants to hold off on upping it for another week.

The issue is to be honest I am not really feeling any impact at all. Just wondering how long this stuff is supposed to take to kick in or if its just not working, maybe the dosage is just too low. Its supposed
to be 1.2mg per kilo and I am rocking 94KG's so its rocking a little low on the dosage scale.
Typically it's supposed to take three weeks. I've been on Venlafaxine for a while now, which is the same kind of med. It does absolutely nothing for me whatsover. NERIs aren't for everyone.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I had pretty much nothing left to lose. I've been in therapy, committed for more than three months, on more meds than I can actually remember and done more random crazy poo poo than most people do in their lifetime. For the last few years I've been willing to try anything, so long as there's the slightest chance of it helping. You can't imagine how much better I feel. I haven't slept without drugging myself for years and now I haven't needed a pill in over a month. When your whole life is an endless downward spiral of anxiety and depression, the minor stuff like "embarrassing yourself" or "looking crazy" kind of stops mattering. That actually explains a lot about me that you've probably been wondering about, by the way.

Oh man that's scary. I can sort of feel myself going into that sort of spiral. I've got to get my poo poo together. Got my antidepressants upped the other week and I've noticed about now I tend to get less attentive to the point of sometimes forgetting to look when crossing the road, and taking more risks than normal. I'm not in a great mood atm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's the kind of thing you get when you ignore the warning signs and let your mental health issues grow out of control. I should've done what I'm doing now 10 years ago. On the plus side, once you know what you're looking at there are a lot of resources to help with nearly any problem. Antidepressants never helped much for me, though, probably because my mood issues came from having actual problems in my life caused by the ADHD.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah it often is misdiagnosed as depression or anxiety.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

That's the kind of thing you get when you ignore the warning signs and let your mental health issues grow out of control. I should've done what I'm doing now 10 years ago. On the plus side, once you know what you're looking at there are a lot of resources to help with nearly any problem. Antidepressants never helped much for me, though, probably because my mood issues came from having actual problems in my life caused by the ADHD.

Yeah the sort of thing I've not really been explicit about is that although I've probably do have some anxiety issues that have gotten worse resently, the reasons why I'm anxious is a noticing the problems I've always had.

I can't really believe I totally ignored the fact that I've not been able to coherently say more than a sentence or two, or losing track of what anyone is saying to me. But there's funny memories like my friend asking me why I had a frying pan in my shower, or forgetting how to pronounce individual letters at an eye exam and getting glasses.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pippy posted:

Yeah the sort of thing I've not really been explicit about is that although I've probably do have some anxiety issues that have gotten worse resently, the reasons why I'm anxious is a noticing the problems I've always had.
Yeah, that's such a common reaction that it was pretty much the first thing my psych pointed out to me when I was diagnosed. Anxiety and depression have a really high comorbidity with ADHD, which is part of what makes it tricky to diagnose - the problems caused by inattentiveness can lead to anxiety and depression, but being anxious and depressed also makes you inattentive and unconcentrated. It's a vicious cycle that just keeps feeding itself, which is why you need to break out of it as quickly as possible.

pippy posted:

I can't really believe I totally ignored the fact that I've not been able to coherently say more than a sentence or two, or losing track of what anyone is saying to me. But there's funny memories like my friend asking me why I had a frying pan in my shower, or forgetting how to pronounce individual letters at an eye exam and getting glasses.
Leaving random crap all around the house and forgetting words that I absolutely should know is something I also do a lot. It's always kind of funny when I have to say "that hand-drying thingie, you know, for after washing" because I forgot what a towel is called, or stuff like that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Usually I am just like "where is that.... thing? You know what thing I mean, it's the, uh, thing that you use to do... stuff...."

And then people look at me like I am insane. :)

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Leaving random crap all around the house and forgetting words that I absolutely should know is something I also do a lot. It's always kind of funny when I have to say "that hand-drying thingie, you know, for after washing" because I forgot what a towel is called, or stuff like that.

Oh jesus christ. I told my husband on multiple occasions I was certain I had early-onset Alzheimers because who the gently caress forgets the word for "bridge"? I'm not even 30 yet :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't worry. Alzheimer's-related aphasia is much, much more severe than that, and even early-onset Alzheimer's doesn't develop symptoms before your mid-forties at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I've found that not remembering the word is a big way my speech crashes. So more recently I've found that making light of it and substituting the word with a description like "the word that the shape of a can is" and people are surprisingly charitable. :)

Not sure if I've been forgiven for telling my zoology professor that the picture of a wolf was cool on the front of the textbook. It was obviously a fox and I didn't correct myself when he asked me again. Lol