Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

They just need the iPad. I also gave them the cable, but kept the charger as an extra. And I gave them the box, because well, why do I need it?

For me, they took my driver's license, collected information about where I worked, took a fingerprint, and had me sign a few times. It was more of an invasion of privacy than I expected, but I'm not trying to game their system so I guess it doesn't matter. The whole process took about 15 minutes to complete with a CSR that was familiar with the process.

I've also heard it's not certain that all CSR's will accept both the $50 iPad Air 2 coupon and the 10% USPS mover's coupon, but mine did with no problem.
Thanks for the quick detailed response. I really appreciate it! I just got back from Best Buy after paying ~$100 for my Air 2 after coupons, trade-in, and gift card. That was easy.

Also they didn't need my charger so now I have an extra 10W charger to use with my iPhone 6! :bubblewoop:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lisztless posted:

I would also like to hear some opinions on this. I just got an iPad Air 2 (it's fantastic) that I intend to use mostly for business and I'd like to know if anybody can recommend one.

Here you go:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-ipad-keyboard-case/

Looks like the logitech ultrathin keyboard case is the way to go.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Traded in a couple of iPhone 5's for $225 a piece at Best Buy. They didn't take my charger/cable/earpods/box either.

Question for smart case owners: I've heard conflicting statements that the Air 2 smart case isn't any thinner than the original Air's. Is that true? Also, are the magnets any better than the original Air's? (The original's magnets were flimsy and could not hold in the landscape 'picture frame' position very well. And the cover tended to pull back a bit in my bag, exposing the left side of the screen.)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you have to give them anything other than the iPad itself? I was thinking about snagging an Air 2 from Best Buy since I have some gift cards, but didn't consider trading my iPad 4 in there. What's the process like?

When I traded in my mini, to get the maximum price, I needed to include the charger and cable. I gave em the charger, cable and ipad all in the box.

Guy opened the box, flicked it on to make sure I'd wiped it and disabled the icloud lock, gave it a quick look over. Sign two things saying I gave over the ipad for moneys, they activated the gift card. Walk over to the Apple dept and bought my iPad. Totally painless, way less worry than going through Kijiji.

EDIT: They were totally out of iPad Air 2's, but I played with the one on display. Holy hell, I was definitely tempted until I found out they were out of stock. Those things are so thin! Thinner than the mini's now.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 26, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

When did they switch back to a 10W adapter, by the way? The first Air? I know they bumped it to a 12W when the Retina iPads came out since the batteries were gigantic. I now have official 5W, 10W, and 12W adapters.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I like the Zagg folio cases because they protect the back and the top can pivot like a laptop hinge. Anyone know if the Air 1 case will fit an Air 2?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I knew I forgot something: I didn't cancel my LTE service on my iPad 4 before I traded it. I at least popped the SIM out, but that left me having to call Verizon to cancel the $10 a month for LTE on that device. It was like pulling teeth. They wanted to sell me a 4G "Jetpack" or something so I'd still have LTE access for my Wi-Fi iPad in the future, and she didn't seem to get that there was no way she was going to sell me on it. She talked for about 3 minutes uninterrupted trying to sell me on it while I continued to iron shirts.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AdmiralViscen posted:

I like the Zagg folio cases because they protect the back and the top can pivot like a laptop hinge. Anyone know if the Air 1 case will fit an Air 2?

Probably unlikely since they're different thicknesses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What's the Apple Smart Case for the Air 2 like? I'm going to trade-in my 4th gen soon and i really like their leather cases for the 5S and later, so I might indulge myself for a nice case.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TinTower posted:

What's the Apple Smart Case for the Air 2 like? I'm going to trade-in my 4th gen soon and i really like their leather cases for the 5S and later, so I might indulge myself for a nice case.

I got one of the official leather cases and it's fantastic. There appear to be two grains for the leather, a bumpier one and a smoother one, so make sure you pick what suits you. It stands up very sturdily as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

When did they switch back to a 10W adapter, by the way? The first Air? I know they bumped it to a 12W when the Retina iPads came out since the batteries were gigantic. I now have official 5W, 10W, and 12W adapters.
Just quoting myself with more info: looks like the first Air still had a 12W adapter, so this 10W adapter change is a new (or old depending on how you look at it :haw: ) change with the Air 2. I believe the progression goes:
  • iPad: 10W
  • iPad 2: 10W
  • iPad 3 (Retina display): 10W
  • iPad 4 (Retina display): 12W
  • iPad Air: 12W
  • iPad Air 2: 10W
And just for kicks, I think this is how the Mini chargers go:
  • iPad mini: 5W
  • iPad mini 2 (Retina display): 10W
  • iPad mini 3 (Retina display): 10W

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Does the best buy trade in deal take OG iPad 1's? (Even at a reduced rate) I've got one kicking around I need to get rid of.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Does the best buy trade in deal take OG iPad 1's? (Even at a reduced rate) I've got one kicking around I need to get rid of.
It's not eligible for the "minimum $200 trade-in value" promo but according to their trade-in site it appears to still be worth ~$50-$70. Not sure if it's eligible for the $50 coupon or not.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

blugu64 posted:

I plan to turn my 2 into a picture frame.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

I plan to turn my 2 into a picture frame.

I may want to buy it from you to give to poor children. How much do you want for it?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

They just need the iPad. I also gave them the cable, but kept the charger as an extra. And I gave them the box, because well, why do I need it?

For me, they took my driver's license, collected information about where I worked, took a fingerprint, and had me sign a few times. It was more of an invasion of privacy than I expected, but I'm not trying to game their system so I guess it doesn't matter. The whole process took about 15 minutes to complete with a CSR that was familiar with the process.

I've also heard it's not certain that all CSR's will accept both the $50 iPad Air 2 coupon and the 10% USPS mover's coupon, but mine did with no problem.
They fingerprinted you to trade in an iPad? :raise: I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 26, 2014

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Pretty weird. The Air 2 does have a smaller battery than the original air. Maybe they concluded 10W to be the sweet spot.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I'm Canadian and we don't get that 200 bux deal. That said, I still got 170 CAD for my 32 gig original mini. Like I said, beats dealing with the local Kijijii.

Edit: Not all BB do trade ins (in Canada at least...) so check beforehand.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

randyest posted:

They fingerprinted you to trade in an iPad? :raise: I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

I agree. Was bullshit, but less so than giving my cell to a random Craigslister, or putting my fate into the hands of an ebayer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What could best buy possibly do with fingerprints, good or bad?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

In some states, buyback falls under pawn law.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
Don't know if this is the place to ask but my fiance keeps stealing my little Nexus 7 so she can read blogs and poo poo, so I was thinking of buying her an iPad. Should I spend the <$100 on a 1st generation and see if she likes it first or go ahead and buy her a iPad air, mini, or retina? Also is the difference between the visuals of the retina display or the weight of the air make a huge difference that would justify the cost for a casual user?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tuyop posted:

Of all the parties I'd freely surrender my biometrics to, Best Buy is far from inclusion on that list.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You have to just go to a store and look at them to decide if the Retina display is worth it. I think the sweet spot on iPad pricing right now is the iPad mini 2 refurbs.

No one should purchase an iPad 1 in TYOOL 2014. My grandpa's still using one and being stuck on iOS 5 is incredibly crippling when he also has an iPhone 5S on iOS 8 and a Mac on Yosemite. He's getting an Air 2. :shobon:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Of all the parties I'd freely surrender my biometrics to, Best Buy is far from inclusion on that list.

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

I guess the pawn act involves cross checking sellers with a database and I wouldn't care about that either, you know?

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

You have to just go to a store and look at them to decide if the Retina display is worth it. I think the sweet spot on iPad pricing right now is the iPad mini 2 refurbs.

No one should purchase an iPad 1 in TYOOL 2014. My grandpa's still using one and being stuck on iOS 5 is incredibly crippling when he also has an iPhone 5S on iOS 8 and a Mac on Yosemite. He's getting an Air 2. :shobon:

Yeah, I guess I could just go ahead and get her a decent one and worse case scenario I have to turn around and resell it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any other deals I can possibly stack with Best Buy's $200 trade-in towards an Air 2? Will they give me anything for the leather ipad 3 cover I use or is that as good as garbage?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The people on slickdeals are talking about there being a Best Buy coupon you can get for free at USPS postal offices. They say you can combine the coupon with the trade-in.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bobfather posted:

Traded in an iPad 3 16 GB to Best Buy. They gave me a $163 gift card and a $50 coupon toward an iPad Air 2 purchase. $213 for an iPad 3 16GB isn't bad, especially since it lets me avoid dealing with Craigslist or Ebay.

Then I used a 10% off coupon from USPS on top of those discounts.

Ended up with an iPad Air 2 64GB for ~$360 out of pocket, and got rid of my iPad 3 at the same time. Gave my iPad Air 1 to my wife, so everyone is happy.

iPad Air 2 is a beast, by the way!

Man, I wasn't planning on upgrading immediately, but that's a really compelling deal considering I have the exact same iPad 3 as you. I know people frown on 'I bought this' posts but thanks for yours. Is there a time limit on the trade deal or is it indefinite?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The people on slickdeals are talking about there being a Best Buy coupon you can get for free at USPS postal offices. They say you can combine the coupon with the trade-in.
That's exactly what bobfather said. There's no guarantee that they'll let you double dip though, since they're already doing a $50 coupon right now when you trade-in.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

I guess the pawn act involves cross checking sellers with a database and I wouldn't care about that either, you know?

I've got to admit, the fingerprint thing plus Best Buy does not give me warm-fuzzy feelings at all.

Plus, it's Best Buy. Full stop.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
They're required to fingerprint you since like someone said above trade ins are considered pawns to the law.

You also get fingerprinted when trading in video games for $20.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ArcaneMan posted:

Whats the best iPad bluetooth keyboard cover? Looking for something similar to the surface's form/functionality.

For the air, The Zagg keys cover isnt a shoddy piece of poo poo like their folio cover is. It just clamps on, holds it to a viewing angle of your pleasure very, very well, and has a backlight keyboard. Ive only played with the one for the Air, but its pretty nice. My buddy at the verizon store sold me on it well, and im going to pick one at some point. Im getting kinda tired of this Logitech one i have right now.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

For the air, The Zagg keys cover isnt a shoddy piece of poo poo like their folio cover is.

Seconding- the earlier version of the Zagg keys with the full plastic iPad back served me very well for ~8mo so on a whim I got the newer clamp-only aluminum version and have enjoyed it even more. They're both equally solid build-wise, just depends on whether you want more iPad protection.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Space Racist posted:

Man, I wasn't planning on upgrading immediately, but that's a really compelling deal considering I have the exact same iPad 3 as you. I know people frown on 'I bought this' posts but thanks for yours. Is there a time limit on the trade deal or is it indefinite?

I just did at BB.I should have asked when the deal was ending

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

drat this is a huge jump performance wise from my old 3. Just way more responsive.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I pre-ordered through Best Buy and I've still not got my 64gb Space Gray. On Friday they called and said that "Oh, you might have gotten a pickup email but they're here" and the girl who called said it would be later that day or Saturday and that they would call me back when it got there. No big deal.

Saturday around 3 I still hadn't heard anything so I called. They said, "Oh yeah, I'm sure it's here" and when I asked him to double check he came back and said it wasn't and it would be Wednesday at the earliest. I started talking to the manager and he tried to explain how it was Apple's fault and that Best Buy was unable to fulfill preorders for many customers. What he didn't know was that I had called the store on the other side of town and they not only got enough to cover their pre-orders but had extras for sale. I knew this because I called the other store and asked if I could change my pick-up since my store didn't get any (and I was told no).

Basically, they had no rebuttal. He tried to explain how their inventory system worked but it was no excuse why preorders weren't fulfilled vs being sold from a store 15 minutes away. He ended up finding one about an hour and a half away and said it would be shipped immediately via UPS and I would have tracking information before the end of the day...guess what...no loving emails. I just wish we had an Apple store.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Now that people have had the Air 2 for a few days, what's the verdict? Does the 2gb RAM solve the tab refresh issue? Is there any point in upgrading from an Air?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Xabi posted:

Now that people have had the Air 2 for a few days, what's the verdict? Does the 2gb RAM solve the tab refresh issue? Is there any point in upgrading from an Air?

It's pretty great. Tab refresh issue is completely solved for me.

There is still some bugginess with iOS 8.1 though, particularly with multitasking gestures acting weird both system wide and in Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Why not get an iPad from the store that has them in stock and then either cancel your other pre-order or immediately return it for a refund when they ask you to pick it up?