Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Dexters Secret posted:

i need someone to explain to me how to invest stat points because i've always just invested in one and never touched the others (int for mages, str for berserkers, etc) and my understanding is that is wrong

There's nothing wrong with that, just point the points into what you want to do most. Str for wearing heavy armour, int for casting spells, dex for dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

the thing with the stats on level-up is they don't really matter all that much

there are "right" and "wrong" choices but pretty much no game will be won or lost on the back of stat choices.

choose what feels right. follow your heart.

I mean almost every game is lost on poor tactical play but it's a huge disadvantage to, say, not raise dex on an EV character and have 7 less EV.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

searing ray is pretty fun to use

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

can't say i'm a fan of wands auto-identifying on pickup now. pointing one at some enemies and hoping for the best was part of the fun. idc if it was ~optimal~ to test them on walls instead, i dont roll like that

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RIP.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey if it were anything else(except healing or haste or something) he'd probably have straight up killed you, now there's a chance.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got owned by a star.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What's the joke behind crazy Luif having a hammer all the time......

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lost GrWr (and HuCj) but just won this.

code:
Goodbye, rnglessons.

1578623 rnglessons the Slayer (level 27, 245/245 HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Earth Elementalist on Oct 25, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Oct 26, 2014!

The game lasted 06:12:23 (81237 turns).

Best Crawlers -
  1.38718980 4thArraOfD LOFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  2.38718212 Bruce      DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  3.37113564 Tabstorm   DDBe-27 escaped with the Orb
  4.37100501 DrKe       VSDK-27 escaped with the Orb
  5.36121808 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  6.33791499 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  7.33420146 Bruce      DECj-27 escaped with the Orb
  8.32104059 Roshnak    VSMo-27 escaped with the Orb
  9.32017815 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
 10.31226665 Implojin   TrMo-27 escaped with the Orb
 11.29634595 DrKe       MiGl-27 escaped with the Orb
Next is FoTm of Oka.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sometimes he has a lot of them:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm still too noob to play straight casters, cause they require more effort than the other cclasses. :sigh:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i've got to start playing online, i think half of my early stupid mistakes wouldn't happen if i knew other people could see me make them

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm still too noob to play straight casters, cause they require more effort than the other cclasses. :sigh:

I played casters as a noob and I can't stand them now because you have to press too many buttons lol.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I AM BRAWW posted:

What's the joke behind crazy Luif having a hammer all the time......

He's crazy and collects lots of hammers because it's random.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Crazy Yuif says wacky random stuff but if you are confused all the stuff he says makes sense and is actually fairly insightful.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Thug Lessons posted:

Crazy Yuif says wacky random stuff but if you are confused all the stuff he says makes sense and is actually fairly insightful.

It's a cool little easter egg imo.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

I AM BRAWW posted:

i know this feel

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Sil's combat can be fully explained (to a degree in which a programmer could write it themselves) in a few paragraphs, crawl's requires talking about a million variables and lognormal distributions. Crawl has been slowly cutting out the archaic bits of linley's crawl with a scalpel, the sil devs hacked off the bad parts of angband with a triple sword on day 1. (Okay I don't actually know sil dev history but that's what it seems like.)

sil was being worked on for 10 years before the first version was even released

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

I played casters as a noob and I can't stand them now because you have to press too many buttons lol.

thought this was just me

edit: minus the playing them as a noob part

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sup evilmike. Finally getting good at this game, doing a random account now (more random than hyper).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

cool

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

trog gave me a +4 antimagic triple sword. :eyepop:
i'm one shotting all these orcs in the mines and it rules.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

thought this was just me

edit: minus the playing them as a noob part

the best thing to do is press ~ and set macros for your most used spells. if you have magic dart on "c" you can make the macro "zcf" and bind it to 1 or something. you basically create a hotkey for "cast magic dart at default (usually meaning nearest) target" this way.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

trog gave me a +4 antimagic triple sword. :eyepop:
i'm one shotting all these orcs in the mines and it rules.

trog is a bro like that

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

EvilMike posted:

the best thing to do is press ~ and set macros for your most used spells. if you have magic dart on "c" you can make the macro "zcf" and bind it to 1 or something. you basically create a hotkey for "cast magic dart at default (usually meaning nearest) target" this way.

i tried that but then i can't use numpad 1 to walk anymore.

edit: i bound 1 from the top row of the keyboard but it thinks numpad 1 is the same thing.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

i tried that but then i can't use numpad 1 to walk anymore.

edit: i bound 1 from the top row of the keyboard but it thinks numpad 1 is the same thing.

you can use any key you like, or combinations using ctrl/shift even. so, you can stick it on f1 instead, if its being weird about numrow.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

EvilMike posted:

I should be doing this but I'm too lazy to find keys I can conveniently use.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

is it worth using a +4 crushing flail even if it gives me -2 str? I don't really know the math behind calculations and if that's worth it or not. on a berserker.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
i have an alt account called CrazyYuif who is only an orc chaos knight so when ever I die someone gets a crazy yuif ghost

orc is the closet thing to gnoll i guess

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm going to play octopode monk until i win

what god is optimal for it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is it worth using a +4 crushing flail even if it gives me -2 str? I don't really know the math behind calculations and if that's worth it or not. on a berserker.

Unless you have like 5 strength it's fine

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm going to play octopode monk until i win

what god is optimal for it

welcome to the strangler class

there is no strangle god

i guess the shadow god would be ok or the card god

if you pick up spells then spell gods

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
chei would be pretty ok I think

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

your choking of the hobgoblins slows it down, chei is pleased

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
my first win ever was an actopode transmuter of chei. having really high stats is cool and i think strangling is str-based?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Chei only slows down your movement right? so you can still strangle 8 goblins per turn, just not run away all that fast when its loving u over..

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Humans Among Us posted:

Chei only slows down your movement right? so you can still strangle 8 goblins per turn, just not run away all that fast when its loving u over..

ya. chei is great and makes you super powerful and makes the game into a cakewalk, until you need to run away, and then suddenly he's mega poo poo.

great design. v fun

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm having a lot of fun with this HEFE. spellcasters can be a lot of fun and and have more interesting tactical choices than a melee fighter, but the game is a lot slower paced and sometimes i'm too impatient for that.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I would do Oka instead of Chei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

maybe Oka could gift a few rings to octopodes. he'd probably become the only god people would use for octopodes, though

• Locked thread