Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shattered world starts are p loving fun. there are no powerful players, and by the time you blob yourself up, someone else just far enough away to be a threat is about the same strength as you.

that said the ai is poo poo-retarded and i havent tried doing an eu4 shattered world because of how bad the ck2 ai was on that kind of map. would be great fun in multiplayer imho, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ty mapgames for scoring a cheap trip to Chicago

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

ty mapgames for scoring a cheap trip to Chicago

What the. I'm thrice the map game you are and I never got anything free.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Taking Jerusalem from HRE is gonna be nigh impossible...they're on high CA and field somethign ridic like 60k troops, plus they vassaled pope immediately. I hate how easy it is to do that.

i wish antipopes worked differently

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DICKHEAD posted:

Maybe i'll do a tribal poland game. i lost interest in ireland as soon as i civilized.

picts might be cool because you can raid all the english minors though

making it so you can raid same religion is a huge buff to them now cause you can go after tribal pomerania, also all your immediate neighbors are weak (moravia usually explodes into an independence revolt that coincidentally happens to include everyone you need to form poland) until the magyars come knocking

DICKHEAD posted:

i wish antipopes worked differently

i won't be happy until we get the great schism and the avignon papacy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im glad our "sister" thread in games is arguing about whether population pyramids are a good or bad feature to include in vicky 3

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

im glad our "sister" thread in games is arguing about whether population pyramids are a good or bad feature to include in vicky 3

I really regret being in that argument

also, they got me playing victoria 2 again, and I'm considering regretting that too

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
paradox games used to be kind of bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Games Threads are freaking retarded.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

somehow i got the coptic pope as my prisoner as byzantium. i wish there was something cool i could do with that like force all coptics to become iconoclasts.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

anyone got any good tips for trying to unite all of India?

everything feels so static in the subcontinent and trying to do anything in it is like trying to swim through molasses what gives?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

the gently caress?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

everything feels so static in the subcontinent and trying to do anything in it is like trying to swim through molasses what gives?

hindus can subjugate once per life. other than that just marry into claims and crap like a christian. alternatively be a muslim lol

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

East Vs West was going to have something like a population pyramid but no class system (or I don't recall one). It was also going to have you customizing all 87 doodads on your battleships.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

the gently caress?

Charlz Guybon posted:

As for the ongoing population pyramid discussion, there are plenty of events that could be written for a player in France's position.

For example one could ally with the clergy in a "Let them be fruitful and multiply" event where you ban birth control and abortion and have the church preach in favor of larger families. This would give you a positive population growth modifier while causing the militancy of secularists to rise.

If you're a nation that industrialized early you could enact reforms to support maternity leave and child care for working mothers. You could straight up offer bounties in the form of subsidies (call them bounties or tax credits in the event text) for children. These would give you a positive population growth modifier and cost you money.

If you have a big gaping hole in the male side of the pyramid because of a great war you could decriminalize adultery, offer support for single mothers, even legalize polygamy. These would come with increasingly large backlashes in form of the spread of moralists and the rise in their consciousness & militancy.

If you're a fascist or communist dictatorship you could sponsor youth organizations and let the boys and girls mingle, Hitler Youth style. Though they'd be coming at it from different utopian directions, so you'd need different flavor texts in the events.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

that guy is loving married to the idea of age demographics in victoria for abosolutely no good reason and his posts are way to fuckin long

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What the. I'm thrice the map game you are and I never got anything free.

It's only like a $300 allowance and now I have to embarrass myself in front of a national professional association so I don't think you're missing much lol.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

so my king died literally days before i formed the kingdom of poland :suicide:

fortunately ive put all my poo poo back together, now just gotta raid pomerania until ive got money to convert to feudalism and hope the germans send missionaries my way

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Do missionaries actually convert provinces or just people? I've never had them convert a province, so missionaries are really useless. The best way to convert your kingdom is to convert from a concubine at medium organization so that you can revoke everyone's titles in your realm and divvy them all up to idiots and relatives to make a crazy powerful country.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Do missionaries actually convert provinces or just people? I've never had them convert a province, so missionaries are really useless. The best way to convert your kingdom is to convert from a concubine at medium organization so that you can revoke everyone's titles in your realm and divvy them all up to idiots and relatives to make a crazy powerful country.

last time i converted from paganism a missionary converted my heir. it makes the transition a little smoother if you've got some same-religion vassals and courtiers

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Once you get revocation of infidel titles for free in your laws, you can literally kick out anyone of a different religion than you and no one will care, then just use the piety/gold options to invite a bunch of same culture/religion courtiers to take their place. I think Paradox really messed up with the missionary mechanic, because once you convert you can just tell everyone who likes you to convert as well.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

ZeroCount posted:

do it in vic2 as Punjab/the Sikhs where it's hella fun

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

El Wombato posted:

I've been trying this but it is very hard, possibly because I am not good at vicky 2.

not really sure what I'm doing tbh.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
it's a pretty tough start which is why it's fun. I think the best thing to do is to go in on Afghanistan early, this is a bitch of a war but you can usually catch their armies in a bad spot. Sindh is another good target. you have a ton of pops, so mobilization kicks rear end.

If you have problems with the brits early, sometimes it's better to just give em what they want.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i created the empire of persia today :toot:

incest is really powerful

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

El Wombato posted:

i dont know if im ready to move up to the next level of paradox games, dont judge me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

El Wombato posted:

it's a pretty tough start which is why it's fun. I think the best thing to do is to go in on Afghanistan early, this is a bitch of a war but you can usually catch their armies in a bad spot. Sindh is another good target. you have a ton of pops, so mobilization kicks rear end.

If you have problems with the brits early, sometimes it's better to just give em what they want.

yeah I got both afghanistan + sindh but got dow'd by russia and lost half of afghanistan back to them almost immediately. currently somewhere in the early 1890s and hovering consistently in the bottom half of the secondary powers.

idk. just kind of frustrated of playing games where it feels like there's nothing I can do about the great powers. (last game was a Mexico game; did pretty decently & colonized most of the pacific, but got annoyed when the US declared war on me and the UK didn't come in because, apparently, they'd silently broken their alliance with me some time before. V2's notification settings are godawful.) Might go play austria or russia or spain or something for a change, idk.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Is he arguing for age demographics for each class or just throwing out the class system totally?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah I got both afghanistan + sindh but got dow'd by russia and lost half of afghanistan back to them almost immediately. currently somewhere in the early 1890s and hovering consistently in the bottom half of the secondary powers.

idk. just kind of frustrated of playing games where it feels like there's nothing I can do about the great powers. (last game was a Mexico game; did pretty decently & colonized most of the pacific, but got annoyed when the US declared war on me and the UK didn't come in because, apparently, they'd silently broken their alliance with me some time before. V2's notification settings are godawful.) Might go play austria or russia or spain or something for a change, idk.

First thing I do when booting up Vicky 2 is totally redo the notification system so it actually shows information I want to see lol.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Hold on I'll post my lovely incomplete mod from badgame.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Self Determination Mode 2.5

Map Not Current
Download Here!

Synopsis
Everyone woke up one morning in 1836 to find that the entire world was Balkanized and all world militaries have vanished and been replaced with lovely 3,000 man armies. How? Why? These questions are irrelevant to you. All that it means is that there are more nations in the world for you to play than ever before. Choose your instrument, maestro, and let the music play.

Changes:
  • New formable nations / claims decisions in North America. Right now Texas does their claims on day one because I forgot to delete their 5 prestige and for some reason when the game loads it counts their 3,000 infantry as the 5th best military on earth for the first day.
  • New claims in North America to help stuff consolidate
  • Fixed major bug with Japanese crap
  • Got rid of free colonies for France. I think Spain still gets one? Sorry.
  • Got rid of free provinces that Russia doesn't even touch for Russia.
  • Seeded the Caribbean with soldiers.
  • I got rid of the event that makes AIs only keep their cores while doing something else and forgot to put it back.
  • Extend slavery enslaves minorities. Doesn't work totally right but it's an engine problem.
  • Slaves migrate to areas with employment in your nation. Unfortunately they have a small chance to go "Free" states. They remain slaves there?
  • Probably some other crap?
  • Yucatan is now Chan Santa Cruz, accepts all natives in the area, and has claims on a bunch of crap. I was going to make an event to let them claim the entire USCA but was too lazy. Sorry.

Future plans <-I forgot to do this crap oops
  • Probably make the AI more likely to push for Dismantle Nation. Might make it happen automatically the way vanilla Great Wars do? Might even make it cause the special magic war from vanilla as well? I'll have to fiddle with this a lot so it'll be a big pain.
  • Meant to put in that one dude's rebel icon changes cause they're cute.
  • I forgot to give Cherokee an event to claim the CSA and an event for CSA to claim Texas.
  • I dunno. Maybe tweak infamy decay rate. I might make it decay at great power level for everyone except uncivs? Then again the AI doesn't really take advantage of it I find so it might basically be a cheat for the player :\

Changelog:

• Free African America had their color fixed
  • Japan reunites.
  • Russia shouldn't release Super Finland
  • Some cores fixed.
  • Patagonia may not last long now
  • Japan straightened up a bit
  • Italy should be harder to form. May not include Venice. Didn't test any of that.
  • AAA made the union tag for all African Diaspora
  • Alliances can happen at 50 relations
  • Blockades give war exhaustion, sieges give war exhaustion, occupations give war exhaustion. Occupations and sieges also hurt RGO money and decrease population growth.
  • Battles can contribute up to 100% Warscore
  • I messed with some other defines stuff as i played but I dunno what.

2.2-2.3
  • Decision to reunite the UK peacefully for England (minus Ireland).
  • Decision to get claims on old France for France
  • Decision to claim the west and Black Sea for Russia
  • Venice given a lot of new cores.
  • Aggression turned up. CB generation sped up. Detection rate turned down.
  • Amazonia
  • More pops in the Americas, Mexico, Maoris, Arabs
  • Thunderdome Germany
  • Scots and Welsh given claims on England
  • New American Alliance made stronger but FSA's claims remain the same.
  • More claims around, Greece, Turks, Bulgaria.
  • Thunderdome Japan
  • Every culture except for some Africans got Radicalism. I was too lazy to do all 1 billion African cultures. Sorry.
  • AAA made the union tag for all African Diaspora

• Cant remember what i did here.

• A few new Africans
  • Many countries got a population injection and are now a bit more playable!
  • Everyone (I think?) now has a 3,000 man army.
  • France broken up more.
  • Prussia turned into Brandenburg... and then broken up more!!
  • The US broken up a bit more with Comancheria and New York
  • Super African Country can now revolt from the CSA and other slave holding states and has claims on like uh... a lot of poo poo.
  • Badboy now declines faster for Uncivs, Great Powers, and Secondary Powers so go hog wild.

• Disunited States - America is no more and in its place are a myriad of minor states with hastily drawn borders.
  • End of the Russian Empire - Russia has been divided into a bunch of totally made up sounding countries like Potatostan.
  • Clusterfuck Europe - My bad on this one.
  • No more substates - China and Japan are divided into such exciting micro states as Ainu and Dingdong
  • Overseas empires.... No more! Africa, India, Oceania, and the Americas are all free and European possessions are either distributed to locals or
  • I just destroyed the entire colony.
  • Lots of claims on neighbors. Pretty messy borders honestly.
  • Probably a lot of bugs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

today my eight year old sister asked me why my ck2 character had so many half-brothers, and also what a concubine was

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

PleasingFungus posted:

ah man getting russia on you is nasty and yea probably one of those where you just auto-peace. now I'm wondering if /gsg/ mod doesn't actually make it easier or maybe i just got hella lucky. there's a /gsg/ mod event where the brits will auto-declare on you which in retrospect might actually be good since you get a defensive war against them, I got the United Provinces from that one. it also has a decision where you can run the UK out if you siege down a bunch of specific states and get their WE really high (did this with a crisis war where France hosed em)

guess the one other thing to know is you can probably take the brits around when you civilize since they don't keep a lot of troops in India (maybe 2 30-stacks?) and you can mobilize and murder em. all their Indian allies will come in which is free warscore for you as you stomp their lovely unciv armies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

why wont people with +30 opinion of me vote to increase tribal org

e: the improve martial event where you beat the poo poo out of a bunch of drunken peasants rules

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2014

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
i like the one where you play warhammer

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I appreciate Knuc's individual reviews of every Crusader Kings 2 DLC

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol i'm playing byzantium. all the lombard king's sons died in some moron war against the pope and my waifu is on the throne of lombardy now. rome is back when my current ruler kicks it baby

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I appreciate Knuc's individual reviews of every Crusader Kings 2 DLC

:tipshat:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Games general Paradox thread makes me want to slam my dick in a door. So does the CK2 thread actually. The EU4 thread is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

The Games general Paradox thread makes me want to slam my dick in a door. So does the CK2 thread actually. The EU4 thread is ok.

i aint read them