Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

Worst episode of the revival? Come on now, it was better than most of the episodes this series! How can you possibly think that was worse than (usual list of bad episodes).

PriorMarcus posted:

Taking pills for mental health problems is bad.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm absolutely CERTAIN that at least one kid is off-meds or wants to go off-meds because of this episode and that's likely going to be a disaster for them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That didn't bother me. I think children are better at distinguishing fact and fiction than they are usually given credit for and I really doubt that anyone is going to stop taking their pills because of this episode.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

marktheando posted:

I think children are better at distinguishing fact and fiction than they are usually given credit for

The mentally ill, however, not so much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

That didn't bother me. I think children are better at distinguishing fact and fiction than they are usually given credit for and I really doubt that anyone is going to stop taking their pills because of this episode.

Healthy children? For the most part yes they tend to be, but they also are astonishingly good at taking advice from beloved role models.

MENTALLY ILL CHILDREN? Some of whom only need an EXCUSE to try and skip their meds because they feel it makes them less of a person or ANY OF THE OTHER REASON THEY WOULD SKIP THEIR MEDS?

I don't think I even need to answer that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Doctor Who unironically supporting the BNP wouldn't storm them into power but wouldn't exactly be ideal either.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Noxville posted:

The mentally ill, however, not so much.

Is the plot device of someone mistakenly being thought insane intrinsically bad? It's a pretty common thing.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doctor Who unironically supporting the BNP wouldn't storm them into power but wouldn't exactly be ideal either.

I don't think this thing is like the other thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Is the plot device of someone mistakenly being thought insane intrinsically bad? It's a pretty common thing.

So you're purposely being dumb or you just don't understand. OK.

Let me make it clear what MY issue, SPECIFICALLY, is.

The Doctor's message this episode was Do Not Give A Child Who Hears Voices Medicine To "Stifle Them" Instead Listen To Those Voices.

He never addresses the fact that children who are ACTUALLY mentally ill should, in fact, be on medication and in fact his attitude about the whole thing implies the opposite.

Which is *ALL* some kids who NEED THAT MEDICINE NEED.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did you miss the part where she only started hearing voices after her sister disappeared? The kid wasn't brain damaged or insane, she was dealing with grief.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't read what the Doctor said as mental health advice for normal situations. Though I can see how you could, I suppose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Did you miss the part where she only started hearing voices after her sister disappeared? The kid wasn't brain damaged or insane, she was dealing with grief.

She only started hearing voices because magical trees infested her brain and made her super important if only people would listen and stop shoving all of those pills down her throat!

Then they'd see, they'd see she was right and they were wrong and she never needed that medicine after all!

That is the reasoning the episode gives.

That is what some, the most unfortunate some, will take away.

They aren't sick, they're SPECIAL.

That is insidious as gently caress.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but we all know that way too many parents resort to medication when they don't want to deal with their children's issues. Maive needed therapy, not pills to keep her quiet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but we all know that way too many parents resort to medication when they don't want to deal with their children's issues. Maive needed therapy, not pills to keep her quiet.

No she didn't. She literally didn't.

And that's as far as I go with you on this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A scenario where kids' meds are harmful... in a kids' show? Jesus loving Christ.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

No she didn't. She literally didn't.

Well, yeah, because her sister was literally speaking to her through the trees. Therapy might have helped her, as the doctor put it, not listen so hard, but her sister still would have been there whispering sweet nothings into Maive's ear.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

You know what? gently caress you. My son is 12 and autistic but until he was 7 or so no doctor would refer me to a psychiatrist for him because "he's not autistic he's just creative! Look he's fine in my office!" and they kept implying I was just trying to shut him up. They didn't see the holes in the walls, or the screaming panic fits when two blocks wouldn't fit together, or what happened to the cat...
Parents drugging their kid to "shut him up" are a hell of a lot more rare than people think, because its nearly impossible to get help even when there IS a real problem. Welfare Queen levels of rare, nearly non existently rare.
Making light of mental illness on a kids show like this is BAD BAD.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Stairs posted:

You know what? gently caress you. My son is 12 and autistic but until he was 7 or so no doctor would refer me to a psychiatrist for him because "he's not autistic he's just creative! Look he's fine in my office!" and they kept implying I was just trying to shut him up. They didn't see the holes in the walls, or the screaming panic fits when two blocks wouldn't fit together, or what happened to the cat...
Parents drugging their kid to "shut him up" are a hell of a lot more rare than people think, because its nearly impossible to get help even when there IS a real problem. Welfare Queen levels of rare, nearly non existently rare.
Making light of mental illness on a kids show like this is BAD BAD.
You know what? gently caress you. I was on pills for years until someone realized that there's actually nothing wrong with me... I was just really creative and bored at school.

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate case for medication, there's a good 5-6 kids that are unnecessarily medicated because mommy and daddy don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Edit: ... but this is an argument for D&D, not the Doctor Who spoiler thread.

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 26, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Varance posted:

You know what? gently caress you. I was on pills for years until someone realized that there's actually nothing wrong with me... I was just really creative and bored at school.

Yeah, that's what "rare" means. Congrats, you are rare. Good job blowing up about my response to someone who was literally saying the opposite.

Since you edited, I'll edit mine too: the fictitious person were referring to was literally hearing voices, not bored at school. The meds they had her on were for hearing voices. Now imagine you're a kid who hears voices IRL and some show tells you "you're hearing something special! Don't take your meds!" gently caress that message.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stairs posted:

Yeah, that's what "rare" means. Congrats, you are rare. Good job blowing up about my response to someone who was literally saying the opposite.

I was mocking you. :ssh:

... also, this is an argument for D&D, not the Doctor Who spoiler thread.

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

I was mocking you. :ssh:

In that case, why are you being a dick about a serious subject?

quote:

... also, this is an argument for D&D, not the Doctor Who spoiler thread.

It's kind of one of the main discussion points regarding this episode. If anything, it's an argument for the main Doctor Who thread, not the spoiler thread.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

thexerox123 posted:

In that case, why are you being a dick about a serious subject?

It's kind of one of the main discussion points regarding this episode. It's an argument for the main Doctor Who thread, not the spoiler thread.
Part of my job function at work is transporting kids with various developmental disabilities around town, both functional and those with hardcore autism spectrum/Downs. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should hear what they have to say about their parents. It's really sad. Most of them are smart as a whip, too.

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

Part of my job function at work is transporting kids with various developmental disabilities around town. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should hear what they have to say about their parents. It's really sad.

But I honestly don't know what out of your posts is intended to be serious and what is supposed to be "mocking".

quote:

For every legitimate case for medication, there's a good 5-6 kids that are unnecessarily medicated because mommy and daddy don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Like, is this supposed to be facetious? Because it's certainly not true.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

thexerox123 posted:

But I honestly don't know what out of your posts is intended to be serious and what is supposed to be "mocking".
The "gently caress you" part.

thexerox123 posted:

Like, is this supposed to be facetious? Because it's certainly not true.
Yes.

I have stuff in my personal history related to this subject that I'd rather not talk about on SA. Let's just say that I will never forgive my parents for the poo poo they put me through when I was a kid. I'm not against medicating, but it needs to be for the right reasons. Overmedication is a very real thing and is used as an easy out by lazy parents.

Anyway, enough arguing for now. Time for work. :o

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Varance posted:

Part of my job function at work is transporting kids with various developmental disabilities around town. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should hear what they have to say about their parents. It's really sad.

That's understandable, but the thing you have to understand is that those kids most likely act totally different at home. My son is an angel in public, but is prone to throwing things and hitting us at home, even on meds. There have been days where I had to hold him down and force his meds so that he could be sweet when he got on the bus. Now if this sweet polite boy then told the bus driver "mom held me down and made me take pills!" it would sound like I'm a monster. But without those pills he would be trying to jump out of the emergency exit.
This is the reality of mental illness, and that's why I take offense at people who imply otherwise, including my favorite TV shows.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate case for medication, there's a good 5-6 kids that are unnecessarily medicated because mommy and daddy don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate rape victim, there's a good 5-6 women that just make up their rape accusations as revenge on ex boyfriends

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate homeless person, there's a good 5-6 people who don't want to work and just like the cushy welfare lifestyle

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate abortion cause, there's a good 5-6 women that just want to sleep around and not deal with the consequences

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate normal citizen with dark skin, there's a good 5-6 of them who are thugs, muslims, and terrorists

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimately normal homosexual, there's a good 5-6 of them who are pedophiles deliberately spreading their AIDS

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate schitzoprenic, there's a good 5-6 people that are psionically sensitive and will save us all when the time comes

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate harmless fantasy novel, there's a good 5-6 books that will take your soul and possess it with a demon after you read the first ten pages

Varance posted:

There are two sides to every story. For every legitimate complaint about a who episode being terrible, there's a good 5-6 people who are either just too dumb to get how deep it is or just want to look smart

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't get what you're all mad about. It was just the inspirational hero figure of a children's TV show saying that mental illness does not need to be treated and not being challenged on it at all. If mentally ill kids can't handle their TV shows reinforcing the mental health stigma they face day to day then maybe they shouldn't go around being mentally ill in the first place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stop feeding the shitposters and talk about how Missy is definitely The Master. Goddamn.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

I got a good laugh out of this. Thanks! :)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stop feeding the shitposters

Nobody was feeding you.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stop feeding the shitposters and talk about how Missy is definitely The Master. Goddamn.

Missy is The Rani, you pedant.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stairs posted:

It's actually not rare. It's pretty common:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/06/prescribing.aspx
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/director/2014/are-children-overmedicated.shtml

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Did you even read this article? It's saying the opposite of what you're claiming.

quote:

What if the bigger problem is not over-medication but under-treatment? Hearing that 7.5 percent of children are on medication (4.2 percent on psychostimulants) seems stunning, but knowing that 11 percent of children have a diagnosis of ADHD raises a possibility of under-treatment.

quote:

Among those with current mental disorders, only 14.2 percent of youth reported psychotropic medication use, and the majority who had been prescribed medications had a mental disorder with severe consequences, functional impairment, suicidality, or associated behavioral or developmental difficulties. In light of the evidence that about 1 in every 12 youth suffer from a severe developmental, behavioral or emotional disorder, under-treatment remains a serious problem.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 26, 2014

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm still convinced she's going to turnout to be Craig Ferguson.

:colbert:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

THE TWO PART FINALE HAS LEAKED!

Edit: hosed up, fell for a prank.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

THE TWO PART FINALE HAS LEAKED!

What the ACTUAL gently caress BBC department.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woah forty new posts in the spoiler thread do we have spoilers for the finale

oh

ooooooohohhhhhh

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

What the ACTUAL gently caress BBC department.

I hosed up and fell for a prank. I just downloaded the first two episodes again.

However, in interesting news the first part of the finale is called 'Dark Water'.

Did we know this?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

However, in interesting news the first part of the finale isn't called what we thought it was.

It's called 'Dark Water'.

That's been confirmed for a long while, what did you think it was called?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

I hosed up and fell for a prank. I just downloaded the first two episodes again.

However, in interesting news the first part of the finale isn't called what we thought it was.

It's called 'Dark Water'.

I hope they don't try to tie this to River. I'm not even sure how they could.

Just After that dumb Pond River thing, bleh.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

That's been confirmed for a long while, what did you think it was called?

For some reason I thought it was called Something 'Nethersphere'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

For some reason I thought it was called Something 'Nethersphere'.

All the log lines we've seen for the penultimate episode have had "Nethersphere" in them; I guess it's just the sort of unusual sci-fi word that tends to jump out when one glances over it.

• Locked thread