Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
it's going to be awesome in 10 years to look back at that interview and laugh at ballmer trying to brush aside apple in the long run. gonna be iphone laugh all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mod sassinator posted:

it's going to be awesome in 10 years to look back at that interview and laugh at ballmer trying to brush aside apple in the long run. gonna be iphone laugh all over again

how many NBA championships will the clippers have win in ten years

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

how many NBA championships will the clippers have win in ten years

one and then they'll coast on that for another two decades

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ballmer always responds 'i like our strategy' when its obv complete poo poo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

the xbone can do it as well, loving lol

finally, i can now watch all of my animes as god intended

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
why should ballmer give a poo poo at all though? dude's like 60 and no matter what happens to microsoft he has enough money to set up the next ten generations of ballmer descendants for life

if i were him, gently caress yeah i'd be going on all the talk shows and shooting my mouth off about whatever came into my head, why not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

why should ballmer give a poo poo at all though? dude's like 60 and no matter what happens to microsoft he has enough money to set up the next ten generations of ballmer descendants for life

if i were him, gently caress yeah i'd be going on all the talk shows and shooting my mouth off about whatever came into my head, why not

a lot of his net worth is microsoft stock

he owns more microsoft than bill g

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a lot of his net worth is microsoft stock

he owns more microsoft than bill g

yeah, he's "all in" on ms even now

notice how he still says "we" and "us" during the interview when talking about ms

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
have they told him yet that he's not really on "vacation?"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

of course he's not on vacation, he lives on a farm upstate where he can chase bunnies in the fields

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rofl

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

gardening leave

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol *fwds this 2 everyone*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fleshweasel posted:

he owns enough stock that he probably gets to keep pushing people around if he wants to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

he owns enough stock that he probably gets to keep pushing people around if he wants to

normally if you own shitloads of stock, you get a board seat. but ballmer gave up his board seat.

it was part of the deal cut to put nadella in the top office

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was part of the deal cut to put nadella in the top office

reminder that satya, at a tech conference for women, told women they shouldnt ask for raises. l o l

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

graph posted:

reminder that satya, at a tech conference for women, told women they shouldnt ask for raises. l o l

lol yeah

is ms a "better" tech company for women? i hear they have much better work life balance and poo poo so he could really be that delusional if the pay gap is less obvious there. i have zero actual facts here though that's why i'm asking

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

well ms didn't suggest that women should put their reproductive future literally on ice so they could continue devoting prime family-building years to their corporate vision

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

to be fair to the capitalist running dog, as a microsoft shareholder and a software executive, he would have offered exactly the same advice to men

work harder and don't ask for more pay

it's a superpower to guarantee that good things happen (to my pocketbook)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
normally when executives say hilariously self-serving things that disparage workers no one has the courage to call them out

this is one of those really blindingly obvious times that feminism benefits everyone. i mean, it usually does, but nobody gets to see it until some rear end in a top hat has to go and say his normal spiel in the worst possible location

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair to the capitalist running dog, as a microsoft shareholder and a software executive, he would have offered exactly the same advice to men

work harder and don't ask for more pay

it's a superpower to guarantee that good things happen (to my pocketbook)

hail Satan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol yeah

is ms a "better" tech company for women? i hear they have much better work life balance and poo poo so he could really be that delusional if the pay gap is less obvious there. i have zero actual facts here though that's why i'm asking

i have a buncha friends in tech in sv and universally the best companies are the ones that don't make internet poo poo. eg. intel is apparently a totally normal white collar place.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am shocked that a company whose revenue stream does not depend on chasing trends and bullshit hype is a normal place to work for

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Sagebrush posted:

i have a buncha friends in tech in sv and universally the best companies are the ones that don't make internet poo poo. eg. intel is apparently a totally normal white collar place.

these are businesses that have a stable business model that is not total bulllshit

being able to implement your ideas in the real world is significantly more difficult than thinking them up

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am shocked that a company whose revenue stream does not depend on chasing trends and bullshit hype is a normal place to work for

ultrabooks

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

will.i.am

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
even normal techy places to work are pretty hostile environments for women, or else our industry numbers wouldn't be so hosed

they're just not literal rape pits guarded by poo poo-throwing apes, so they look better than startups

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

theadder posted:

ultrabooks

oops we lost a billion dollars selling ultra books whatever are we going to do *sells eleventy billion processors to OEMs*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hey guys wanna use x86 on cellphones? guys? hello?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"hrm yes building processors certainly is a steady business that can coast for decades without disruption. steady as she goes, lads! thats the ticket"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

literal rape pits guarded by poo poo-throwing apes

i'd take the poo poo-throwing apes over the u/semen-thrower redditors

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

graph posted:

meanwhile the onion give the actual answer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last Chance posted:

"hrm yes building processors certainly is a steady business that can coast for decades without disruption. steady as she goes, lads! thats the ticket"

i bet intel really regrets selling off their arm divison

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

i bet intel really regrets selling off their arm divison

intel's arm chips had the same problem as their embedded x86 line: they were really, really reluctant to let people meaningfully customize SoCs or application-specific processors

even if they had retained xscale/strongarm they would have missed the boat for the same reasons

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol yeah

p sure stack ranking is how 16 year old highschool girls judge the social caste

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
uptown stack ranking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

p sure stack ranking is how 16 year old highschool girls judge the social caste
msfts continued use of stack ranking is the greatest mystery in tech

stack ranking is meant to be used in turnarounds, like when you take over a failing company that is full of deadwood and you need some quick and dirty way to cut out the deadbeats and goldbrickers and incompetents that make up the bottom third of your employees

its pretty much the last thing you want to do to a company that is growing nicely and generating huge profits and has its pick of top flight talent to recruit

and yet in the 1990s msft did just that

every person who has looked at or written about msft in the last fifteen years has pointed to the stack ranking system as a disaster which creates all sorts of company damaging perverse incentives for every individual in the company

but they keep on doing it anyway

its madness

• Locked thread