Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

GunnerJ posted:

So what is the real story on the "Dragon Combat Overhaul" and "Civil War Overhaul," and I guess the rest of apollodown's mods? It's about as tough to cut through the :nexus: hugbox raving as it is to decipher his nonsense descriptions, but the the overall message seems to be that despite the author's personal "quirks," the mods are ambitious and do fun things but are prone to bugs because what they try to do is necessarily very difficult.

I just remember trying an earlier version of DCO last summer and being baffled at dragon behavior, and perplexed by the decision to give them effectively insta-kill supermoves that randomly proc after you go through the effort of fighting them to low health, but they are also just as likely to straight up fly away, ruining your fun in another way.

I've tried CDO and I wasn't all that impressed with the way it worked. It adds in optional ranged attack animations that can trigger on any old bow shot. What that translates to is a random ultra sikk 360 slow mo around your guy as he fires a bow. I have CWO installed but haven't really gotten into it yet. I have read all sorts of complaints about how buggy it is or how much it broke someone's game, usually followed by "what's a bashed patch? what's LOOT?"

Here's what a guy on the skyrimmods subreddit said in resposne to a guy :qq: over CWO:

quote:

I have extensively tested both DCO and CWO (I used to do beta for Apollo) and I can promise you that a great bulk of the issues you're having since EGO has come out are user errors. I have used DCO since it came out, ditto CWO, and, although CWO was buggy in its' first two iterations, I can say with full confidence that CWO 3.1 has Arthmoor's (the team lead for the Unofficial Patches) blessing as being an epic, soundly made, and bug free revitalization of the Civil War questline. You can huff and puff about it all you want, but it won't change the fact that you very likely are to blame for whatever issues you're having...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
quote is not edit

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Only problem I've had with CWO was that if I get with in a mile of Riften I get a million guards trying to slaughter me, and the gates are locked; so I had to console bypass the quest where I'm supposed to do spy stuff in the keep. No idea what was causing that issue... No idea what's going to happen after I take the city.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Yeah I honestly haven't kept up with Skyrim modding since I burned out on the game in March. I'll try to make an effort to get the OP up to date throughout this week.

It would be really awesome if you did this, thanks :unsmith:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

Only problem I've had with CWO was that if I get with in a mile of Riften I get a million guards trying to slaughter me, and the gates are locked; so I had to console bypass the quest where I'm supposed to do spy stuff in the keep. No idea what was causing that issue... No idea what's going to happen after I take the city.

Is it possible you have some type of Imperial gear on you?

For people using the Positioner mod, do you have any issues with NPC pathing in your homes?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Svanja posted:

Is it possible you have some type of Imperial gear on you?

Also if you get far enough into the quest line the other faction will know who you work for regardless of your uniform, unless you are in one of theirs.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Gridlocked posted:

Also if you get far enough into the quest line the other faction will know who you work for regardless of your uniform, unless you are in one of theirs.

I tried wearing a stormcloak uniform and it didn't help. I thought it was the faction thing, but the quest kind of necessitated I get into a hostile city, so yeah. Little flaw in the system. Tried killing the guards, even. But they had no keys to the city on them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Duck and burger posted:

I tried wearing a stormcloak uniform and it didn't help. I thought it was the faction thing, but the quest kind of necessitated I get into a hostile city, so yeah. Little flaw in the system. Tried killing the guards, even. But they had no keys to the city on them.

May have to console it?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

SPERG hasn't been updated in a year! Is it still the go-to overhaul mod?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Bramble posted:

SPERG hasn't been updated in a year! Is it still the go-to overhaul mod?

IMHO, yes. It hasn't updated because it doesn't need to be.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Svanja posted:

For people using the Positioner mod, do you have any issues with NPC pathing in your homes?

There will some problems if you put a table in the middle of the entryway in the hearthfire home they will mash against it. Another great thing is you can make new paths for yourself in the game world as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

IMHO, yes. It hasn't updated because it doesn't need to be.

well the installer is still broken for the uncapper and DLC editions isn't it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

epitasis posted:

well the installer is still broken for the uncapper and DLC editions isn't it?

True, but that's easy to fix.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

drat, these 4K textures and Kountervibe ENB are something else.

http://imgur.com/a/Bo696

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
does anyone have a clue why the darker nights option from Climates of Tamriel isn't working? Option 7 should be pretty loving dark at midnight, but instead it's the same 3o'clock afternoon London countryside sky from vanilla Skyrim.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

botany posted:

does anyone have a clue why the darker nights option from Climates of Tamriel isn't working? Option 7 should be pretty loving dark at midnight, but instead it's the same 3o'clock afternoon London countryside sky from vanilla Skyrim.

Try loading the CoT Nights Plugin after all of the RLO plugins.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
That was my first guess too, but I've hosed around with the load order and that doesn't seem to change anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

botany posted:

That was my first guess too, but I've hosed around with the load order and that doesn't seem to change anything.

Check in TESVEdit to see what's overriding it, if anything.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

Check in TESVEdit to see what's overriding it, if anything.

If I knew how to do that I wouldn't have posted here.

I've tried deactivating every mod outside of Climates (and some things that won't interfere, like UI mods, SPERG etc) to see where the conflict is. There's no conflict. Climates of Tamriel straight up doesn't work, or at least the darker nights options won't work. Looking through the internet, I'm not the first person to have that problem, but gently caress if anyone knows how to fix it. I've tried downloading some other mod, but that one just turns down all the light values at night, so you end up with very little light but a bright blue sky :v: This is starting to frustrate me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm having a strange issue in the PC version i hope can be fixed. I'm doing a Conjurer/Enchanter playthrough and the problem relates to enchanting. I go through the standard process of selecting the item, enchantment and soul gem, but when i "Press 'R' to create item" nothing happens.

I've heard custom animations creates issues with enchanting and smithing, and i do have the cold exposure mod installed, but as i understood it that would have prevented me from "using" the enchanting table entirely, and i have no trouble getting into and using the UI, right up to the point where i need to finish and create the item. Thanks very much for reading and hopefully helping.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Just wanted to drop a line to say thanks to the thread. Reinstalled Skyrim about two weeks ago and went out of my way to do things right. Did everything through Mod Organizer, cleaned the bigger mods through TESedit, went through the process of getting FNIS and other combat animations working etc. Modcount is now somewhere north of 150, but Skyrim is completely stable and totally gorgeous.

Hardest part was getting good framerate out of ENB. My mistake was thinking that just tweaking ENB settings the right way would solve the problem. It turns out that you have to overtly direct which functions get handled by the video card's drivers, which functions get handled by skyrim, and which functions get handled by ENB. Once I fiddled with my video card's skyrim profile a bit using nVidiaInspector, my framerate stays right around ~50 with ENB on, despite having a old graphics card (GTX 460).

Done modding, happy player.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm having a strange issue in the PC version i hope can be fixed. I'm doing a Conjurer/Enchanter playthrough and the problem relates to enchanting. I go through the standard process of selecting the item, enchantment and soul gem, but when i "Press 'R' to create item" nothing happens.

I've heard custom animations creates issues with enchanting and smithing, and i do have the cold exposure mod installed, but as i understood it that would have prevented me from "using" the enchanting table entirely, and i have no trouble getting into and using the UI, right up to the point where i need to finish and create the item. Thanks very much for reading and hopefully helping.

Did you rebind your sheathe weapon key? If so try pressing whatever you rebound it to. Alternatively try resetting all your bindings and trying it again.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

botany posted:

There's a weather patch available for Climates of Tamriel. After I installed it the night became very dark. I set CoT to night level 4 which was decent, but there was a noticeable change after the patch.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/39799/

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

botany posted:

If I knew how to do that I wouldn't have posted here.

I don't know much about CoT, but go into TESVEdit, load all your plugins (if you run TESVEdit through MO you're fine and it will do so automatically), and right click anywhere and hit "apply filter for cleaning." This will take some time but will highlight any and all conflicts for you. Then just go to whatever mod you feel isn't working, open it up, and check and see what is and is not overwritten. You can drag and drop settings from one mod into another, making your own custom merged patches that way.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Gentlegoons,

I was wondering if anyone would mind trying out a mod I made and giving me some feedback. It's a simple Legend of Zelda mod i put together combining some other mods i found plus a few re-textures I did, was based on a LoZ armor mod that just replaced the thieves guild outfit leader texture. Rather then use that along with the bonuses it provided I made it a unique set that's craftable and then threw a couple of swords, bows and the Hylian shield in for good measure.

Mod here: https://mega.co.nz/#!odUR3A6S!Ut0eaqzYxokhrHkO6Faqps3zxA5cgTmbeTo14LmOOHQ

Screen shots:

Have to type type up the list on how to craft each item but for now I made a cell with a chest in it that has everything in it, to get to it type:

coc ZeldaTest and everything should be in the chest

I've just warped out of the cell using "coc whiterun" when done

Also,i'm using Dual Sheath redux and FINIS to put the swords on your back as some of the original meshes have scabbards that float next to you when your sword is equipped. I've given up trying to make the shield go on your back when not using it, spent 4 hours trying to get it to play nice and doesn't seem worth it after that.

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms? Don't quit my day job? (First mod ever, holy crap does the creation kit crash a lot.)

Retrograde fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 25, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm just amazed you got nifscope to take in a model without loving everything up when it's imported.

Dear god, nifscope is terrible. :argh:

I'll try out your mod tonight, and let you know what I think (for what that's worth :v:)

The recolored thief equipment looks nice, good work. The wooden-looking sword looks terrible though, sorry to say.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 25, 2014

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm just amazed you got nifscope to take in a model without loving everything up when it's imported.

Dear god, nifscope is terrible. :argh:

I'll try out your mod tonight, and let you know what I think (for what that's worth :v:)

The recolored thief equipment looks nice, good work. The wooden-looking sword looks terrible though, sorry to say.

Ha i imagine Nifscope is pretty finicky as well, I only played around for it a little bit. All the models I found from existing skyrim mods on the nexus, that's probably why the wood sword isn't very good as well, I'm pretty sure it lacks a normal map like the other weapons and I haven't figured out how to make one yet! Thanks for checking it out!

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

I've been having what seems like a common issue when using Project ENB with SSAO enabled. Although none of the forum threads I've found have been completely useful. As a result I just started tinkering and thought that I should post the results here in case there are others with the issues. Obviously the easiest solution would be to just disable Ambient Occlusion, but I didn't want to do that.

First off, with Project ENB and the .dll linked in the readme, using SSAO in Skyrim can result in the weapon/hand/shield transparency issue.

Invisible Hands/Weapons

Project ENB + SSAO cause transparency. In this image it's only a small portion of the weapon that's invisible, although when standing outside I could see straight through the entire weapon (both handle and blade) when I stood close to a wall in Riverwood.

To solve the above issue I just used an updated version of the d3d9.dll. The weapons/hands/shields were no longer transparent. However, I still had to deal with the other side effect which was a blue glow...

Blue Weapon Glow

I found a few solutions for this blue glow. Although none were ideal.

The first and most effective solution was to set the value of fNear1stPersonDistance to 0 (fNear1stPersonDistance=0.0000). At 0 there is no blue glow. However, this also causes issues when light is cast onto your weapon.

When standing beside a light source fNear1stPersonDistance=5 will let your weapon naturally reflect the light but fNear1stPersonDistance=0.0000 will not.

At 0 your weapon won't be in a permanent shadow because within certain areas/light sources fNear1stPersonDistance=0.0000 allows the weapon to illuminate but it's not consistent, so it's hard to tell if setting it to 0 makes a difference - your weapon won't be completely black but it won't respond to every light source. Changing this value to 0 does have a noticeable impact even though some forums report that there is no negative change. Changing this value to a low number seems like the easiest solution. I set fNear1stPersonDistance to 2 and the blue glow was significantly less noticeable and light reflection was still present on the weapon, but the light/shadows cast on the weapon were a little inaccurate. Much better than choosing between unlit weapons at 0 and a large blue glow at 5 though.

Second, ForceFakeVideoCard=false is said to fix the issue but this solution is not recommended.

Third, apparently enabling FXAA has removed the blue glow for some people.

Fourth and in my mind the best albeit tedious solution, changing the sky box setting will remove the blue glow. I found that the blue glow only appears in certain shadowed areas. So far the issue seems to be exclusively indoors and particularly in areas with a certain sky box configuration. Toggling the sky box ('ts' in console) will completely remove the glow. I've found a mod to reconfigure the sky box of all indoor areas but apparently it only works with ATI. I'm on nVIDIA and my game won't even launch with the mod. An nVIDIA compatible mod would be the ideal solution to this issue though because manually typing in the console for all the indoor areas is a pain.

Hair Layers Changed Color With AO

With SSAO enabled the layers of a characters hair were different colors. The top layer was the set color, while the layer underneath (against the scalp) was a light color.

This was addressed by changing two settings in the enbseries.ini.

Within enbseries.ini, go to the SSAO_SSIL section and set both ILAmount and ILAmountInterior to 0. This restores the under layer of the hair to its natural color and allows you to keep using the Ambient Occlusion option.

SolitarySolidarity fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 26, 2014

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I thought that Project ENB was tanking my game performance because after I enter a new cell my frame rate goes to poo poo for maybe five or six seconds, made worse if it's night time and my followers pull out their torches but I made a fresh patched file in TES5Edit today and that eliminated a decent amount of it.

I'm sure I can tweak some more stuff and really smooth it out, still reading the documentation on ENB and TES5 to figure out the finer points.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somethings... different in Blackreach today. :shepface:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Somethings... different in Blackreach today. :shepface:

Looks like all those mushrooms have decided to release theirs spores. Bio luminescent spores. Yeah, make total sense to me.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Do you guys help with load order in this thread?

I've installed Climates of Tamriel & Realistic Lighting Overhaul. With that combination the RLO dev recommends a certain load order but LOOT completely mangles it every time I run it. I'm also nervous as I just installed SkyRe for the first time (non-DLC version so no ReProccer) and I'm not familiar with that type of overhaul when it comes to compatibility. I've also got Immersive Armors/Weapons.

That's my load order as recommended in the RLO post.

I haven't run Wrye Bash yet though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I haven't touched the game in months, and my mods are probably horribly out of date. I think Steam has been updating the game in the background since then. Would I be better off to just start from scratch?

The last time I used TPC was like, August 2013.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 26, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

What's the name of that mod that lets you import characters from other saves as followers, via some super special room? Sorry if it was posted somewhere in the OP or last few pages, didn't see it.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
That sounds like Familiar Faces.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks. Couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

ijyt posted:

So I haven't touched the game in months, and my mods are probably horribly out of date. I think Steam has been updating the game in the background since then. Would I be better off to just start from scratch?

The last time I used TPC was like, August 2013.

I would. I'm in the same position. I hadn't played in months and just decided to start from scratch. Most of my mods had tons of editions released which patched various bugs and incompatibility issues. Although updated mods can create more incompatibilities with others. I think a modded Skyrim is the one game you want as bug free as possible.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So a popular poster to the nexus site, Ewi65, just removed all of his content from the nexus. If anyone could possible PM me a place where I could find some of his stuff I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Burns
May 10, 2008

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

So a popular poster to the nexus site, Ewi65, just removed all of his content from the nexus. If anyone could possible PM me a place where I could find some of his stuff I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Do tell. I love hearing these stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

Burns posted:

Do tell. I love hearing these stories.

From what I gathered he got a warning about using someone else's content so he flipped out and just removed all his stuff instantly. It really sucks, I liked a lot of his stuff and I just started working on a new build of modded Skyrim today in anticipation for the release of Perkus Maximus :(. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it!

• Locked thread