Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Let me help you out, Professor Eripsa: what Aaron Swartz did was both legally and ethically wrong.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wolfsheim posted:

I want to watch season two of Alpha House (and many other fine shows) but am experiencing some financial issues. Think I can trick Prime into giving me a student discount by reactivating my old university email despite graduating several years ago, or do they actually check for that?

You can do that, but you only get the free year of Prime once per account even if you use multiple emails.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I want to watch season two of Alpha House (and many other fine shows) but am experiencing some financial issues. Think I can trick Prime into giving me a student discount by reactivating my old university email despite graduating several years ago, or do they actually check for that?

Just do what everyone in college does and start a new forwarding @school.edu mailing list every few months.

corn in the bible posted:

You can do that, but you only get the free year of Prime once per account even if you use multiple emails.

I think they shortened the free period to like 3 months or 6 months or something, those fascists.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me help you out, Professor Eripsa: what Aaron Swartz did was both legally and ethically wrong.

I think that there is a much, much stronger case that the paywall around the academic publishing industry is responsible for the far more dramatic ethical wrong, and that Aaron's actions are in line with a long tradition of civil disobedience to correct dramatic institutional wrongs.

In 500 words, describe an argument that makes such a case, with reference to the theories and authors covered in class. Your answer will constitute 20% of your grade for the semester.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Eripsa posted:

In 500 words, describe an argument that makes such a case, with reference to the theories and authors covered in class. Your answer will constitute 20% of your grade for the semester.

It's clever that you're requesting someone do your homework assignments in D&D rather than in SAL.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Eripsa posted:

I think that there is a much, much stronger case that the paywall around the academic publishing industry is responsible for the far more dramatic ethical wrong, and that Aaron's actions are in line with a long tradition of civil disobedience to correct dramatic institutional wrongs.

Any action within the institutions of academia is morally wrong, though.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!
you can't escape the machine you can only liberate it

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Eripsa posted:

Good to see a Markov generator at work.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

quote:

Aaron Swartz

Wait, what am I missing here? I'm looking this guy up on Wikipedia and it just says he downloaded a bunch of stuff that he was granted access to? How is that illegal?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I can think of no better metaphor for your posting and ideas than the freeganism movement.

(the best metaphor for my own posting and ideas would be )

VikingofRock posted:

Wait, what am I missing here? I'm looking this guy up on Wikipedia and it just says he downloaded a bunch of stuff that he was granted access to? How is that illegal?

Since Swartz was part of the "information wants to be free" movement, most online accounts of his actions are written by his fans and are pretty selective. He used a hidden connection setup to scrape a huge quantity of articles from the JSTOR database and was planning to torrent it all as a blow against "big academic publishing". This was, among other things, in violation of the JSTOR agreements that gave him access in the first place.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 26, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VikingofRock posted:

With the intent to distribute it. While I'm not some highfalutin ethicist or insane techno-philosopher like some people in this thread, my humble opinion is that it was legally wrong, morally correct and either way the government response to it was heinous.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't even know about the free trial, I just wanted to pay $50/year :woop:

Of course, navigating my old university's help desk and getting it unlocked after like five years of disuse will be the real challenge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

With the intent to distribute it. While I'm not some highfalutin ethicist or insane techno-philosopher like some people in this thread, my humble opinion is that it was legally wrong, morally correct and either way the government response to it was heinous.

The government response was entirely typical of the way criminal prosecution operates. They gave the dude a bunch of plea bargain offers, which he turned down(he also made counteroffers, so it's not as if this was a one-way street). Perceptions of his moral righteousness are difficult to separate from his suicide, which advocates like to say the government somehow goaded him into.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Eripsa posted:

Score: 1 Machine, 0 Eripsa

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The government response was entirely typical of the way criminal prosecution operates.

So, heinous?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

If anything, they softballed him because of his political connections and clout with the technofuturism crowd in the academy.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The government response was entirely typical of the way criminal prosecution operates. They gave the dude a bunch of plea bargain offers, which he turned down(he also made counteroffers, so it's not as if this was a one-way street). Perceptions of his moral righteousness are difficult to separate from his suicide, which advocates like to say the government somehow goaded him into,which they did

;)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eripsa posted:

That looks like the jc Penney catalog "workwear" from 2019 when dumpster diving is the only work available

"Non-GMO dumpster diving: your guide to being an overaged teenage runaway"

"I'm glad we moved joined the aryan creativity religion, we can eat out like this and still afford meth"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Prove it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

That looks like the jc Penney catalog "workwear" from 2019

But they'll be out of business by 2019?! :confused:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Prove it.

the burden of proof is on the autist

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

KoldPT posted:

the burden of proof is on the autist

It is on the person making the positive claim actually.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, Rousseff pulls it out by 2 points in Brazil, 51-49. Might have another Venezuela situation brewing in Brazil in the not too distant future.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arkane posted:

drat, Rousseff pulls it out by 2 points in Brazil, 51-49. Might have another Venezuela situation brewing in Brazil in the not too distant future.

lmao are you serious

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

man i hope this fairly inoffensive center left party doesn't go full chavez for no reason soon, wouldn't that be terrible guys.

this is like saying you're afraid obama will go full stalin after 2012.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

lmao are you serious

He's Arkane (AKA Jon Huntsman) - it should be self apparent.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Arkane posted:

Except for that whole part where Dilma and Lula did not expropriate any private companies (and privatized a bunch), did not expropriate any media, and where the stock market has vastly outperformed the previous administration.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think he may be saying that evil communist rousseff is losing her grip on the country

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Except for that whole part where Dilma and Lula did not expropriate any private companies (and privatized a bunch), did not expropriate any media, and where the stock market has vastly outperformed the previous administration.

yeah but she wears that red blazer, total commie

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

lmao are you serious

Probably too dramatic of a comparison, but the pieces are there. The country is at an economic stand still, yeah? There is corruption across the country and in many institutions, yeah? Petrobras is being tapped into/drained by politicians, very similar to what Venezuelan politicians started doing with PDVSA, yeah? The direction that Brazil is headed is not positive.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Eripsa posted:

So I'm suggesting we make rank and order explicit and give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level. But not just as an absolute value: I'm suggesting that "power level" is a community-relative thing, and that estimations of power level must be indexed to community and scale for it to have the proper organizing consequences. Okay, so let's say we build such a thing, and now everyone uses them to organize.
This is a real thing that was posted by Erispa

he wasn't trolling, he posted it sincerely

the thing I'm most insulted about isn't that he wants a real-life DBZ scouter, but that he doesn't even say "scouter", he calls them "goggles".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Arkane posted:

Probably too dramatic of a comparison, but the pieces are there. The country is at an economic stand still, yeah? There is corruption across the country and in many institutions, yeah? Petrobras is being tapped into/drained by politicians, very similar to what Venezuelan politicians started doing with PDVSA, yeah? The direction that Brazil is headed is not positive.
brazil is also in south america. the plot thickens

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
dilma winning is nice

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today's the birthday of our 45th President.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arkane posted:

this isn't new. what makes you think the pt will now go full chavez, and not in the previous 12 years?

all of south america is going to slow down soon because of falling chinese demand, including right-wing darlings colombia and peru. tax cuts and privatizations won't make it better

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Joementum posted:

Bootsy Collins 2016

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

It's not Rand Paul's birthday...?! :confused:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
but obviously if they don't start furiously giving the business class a rimjob, it means they're secretly planning to abolish all private property and business

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

EXAKT Science posted:

Bootsy Collins 2016

He's suited more for a Prime Minister role, you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

fade5 posted:

This is a real thing that was posted by Erispa

he wasn't trolling, he posted it sincerely

the thing I'm most insulted about isn't that he wants a real-life DBZ scouter, but that he doesn't even say "scouter", he calls them "goggles".

Disgustingly shameful, mods please ban that sick filth.

• Locked thread