Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saoshyant posted:

There's 17 Nancy Drew games on GMG and 90% of them only cost 1.75€. In an age people just film themselves playing terrible games for the amusement of others, one would think an enterprising goon would be hoarding those and becoming an Internet Celebrity(tm). Ball's on your side of the field, corn in the bible.

the world is not ready for a scarecam letsplay of nancy drew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

duckfarts posted:

GMG doesn't let you buy multiples(you can only buy 1 per account) and blocks some regions(:argh:) anyway, so there are roadblocks on this plan to becoming an Internet CelebrityTM.

Also, your post should have ended after 1.75€ because everybody should be rushing to get some of these groundbreaking titles.

:raise: He means you can get the whole lot of them for cheap as gently caress, so someone should do so and catapult themselves to LP superstardom.

Cheap other than your soul, that is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dammit nancy

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

RottenK posted:

Killer Is Dead is awful. The combat is primitive and tedious, the story wants to be weird like Killer7 but instead is just poorly written and completely meaningless, and the art style is too washed out to look good. It's not a divisive game, it's just bad. Don't put it in the same category as Killer7.

I disagree :twisted:

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Leave it to Indie Gala to put Playing History: Slave Trade in a bundle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Stop making me want to play a Nancy Drew game. Also whats up with your avatar man?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

duckfarts posted:

GMG doesn't let you buy multiples(you can only buy 1 per account) and blocks some regions(:argh:) anyway, so there are roadblocks on this plan to becoming an Internet CelebrityTM.
Pretty sure they lifted the one copy of each game limit a long time ago.

Has anyone tried recently?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also whats up with your avatar man?

http://www.likpa.com (might be :nws:)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Stop making me want to play a Nancy Drew game. Also whats up with your avatar man?

it's some penis men playing a videogame. it was there when i logged on today, so don't blame me for it

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RottenK posted:

I agree that Killer7 is a bad game, actually. It's not fun to play. But it at least has a good story.

KiD has nothing going for it at all, apart from being made by people who really wanted to make Killer7 but with swords and failing completely.
KiD has some sweet rear end action

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

I'm trying to work out if this is a game over or not. I mean, it sounds like you've been kicked out, but adventure game protagonists get away with stuff like this all the time normally! At least she acknowledges that it wasn't a good idea, I suppose.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is one of the worst thing I've ever tried to sit through.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I don't know why anyone's exited for the new Twin Peaks when it's obvious that Lynch is past his prime.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Darkhold posted:

Pretty sure they lifted the one copy of each game limit a long time ago.

Has anyone tried recently?

Yep. Bought Beyond Earth for a friend since it wasn't showing up on his VIP page, no problems with buying a second copy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mutation posted:

I don't know why anyone's exited for the new Twin Peaks when it's obvious that Lynch is past his prime.

Well, if they don't make a new Twin Peaks then how will I see the producer's vision of a creamed corn demonic world come to life.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mutation posted:

I'm not sure if his last two films (Inland Empire and Mulholland Dr.) were indicators of him being "past his prime", but taste is subjective I guess.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I played AAA games, I played indie games, and then I played even indier games like these

I really liked what I played of Papo & Yo because despite the subject matter, the same itself is just so relentlessly upbeat. The favela is bright and cheery and literally comes to life to help you out. Your little robot buddy is always optimistic. And some of the stuff you run across is just straight-up adorable.

I will also second that Little Inferno is way more fun than it has any right to be, and the ending is fantastic despite being a full left turn into another genre. And I'm glad someone wrote something about The Cat Lady, because I can't get it to run for me and had to swap it off my list.

EDIT: One of the first items you get in Little Inferno lets you set fire to image files on your PC, which led to some hilarious screencaps on my activity feed back when it came out.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 27, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm not sure if his last two films (Inland Empire and Mulholland Dr.) were indicators of him being "past his prime", but taste is subjective I guess.

Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire are both like a decade old and everything he's done since Inland Empire has been pretty bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know why it's so hard to figure out - people are excited about Twin Peaks under the helm of Lynch which was the best combination for the series. People also expect him to be able to direct the production well because it's an estabilished universe and not a completely new thing he's coming up with and he has the original co-creator on board.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Palpek posted:

I don't know why it's so hard to figure out - people are excited about Twin Peaks under the helm of Lynch which was the best combination for the series. People also expect him to be able to direct the production well because it's an estabilished universe and not a completely new thing he's coming up with and he has the original co-creator on board.

Plus, it's pretty obvious that those two were what made the series good as when they weren't completely in control in mid season 2 the show suffered. I still don't like the movie very much, though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
What is this Twin Beaks poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hypha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vftf8TTve4s

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hypha posted:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mutation posted:

Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire are both like a decade old and everything he's done since Inland Empire has been pretty bad.

I am 100% sure that we're not completely sure how it will turn out.

Related: excited about having grabbed Deadly Premonition for a couple bucks this past weekend.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I really want to make a Nancy Drew roguelike now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

InfiniteZero posted:

Related: excited about having grabbed Deadly Premonition for a couple bucks this past weekend.
If anything it's a cool Twin Peaks spin-off for those craving one.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

These weeklong deals are a god damned atrocity, and this is coming from someone who looks forward to them every Monday.

They listed Influent 8 times.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

These weeklong deals are a god damned atrocity, and this is coming from someone who looks forward to them every Monday.

There are limited weekly sales because there is a Halloween sale that starts Friday.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

There's 17 Nancy Drew games on GMG and 90% of them only cost 1.75€. In an age people just film themselves playing terrible games for the amusement of others, one would think an enterprising goon would be hoarding those and becoming an Internet Celebrity(tm). Ball's on your side of the field, corn in the bible.

At one point during an Amazon sale a few years ago they had a bundle that contained all of the Nancy Drew games released at that time for like $10. I still regret not pulling the trigger on that one. I could have proudly displayed them in my games library and never played any of them.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I was gone all weekend so I haven't read like 10 pages of the thread, but why are we talking about David Lynch? Just because Deadly Premonition is on sale?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Zombie Samurai posted:

That's because of the way the developer made Influent.
Instead of following the games like Pinball FX2 does, where the main program is free, but basically useless, and all content is done via DLCs, the Influent developers made it so the first language is attached to the main program and you then have to buy the rest as DLCs.
Pretty drat stupid, and I can't even defend it as multiplatform issue, as both Android and iOS has in-app purchases for this exact thing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

I was gone all weekend so I haven't read like 10 pages of the thread, but why are we talking about David Lynch? Just because Deadly Premonition is on sale?

You say "just because" as if something more is required for a derail.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just found out you can change your name in Steam. I'm dumb.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 27, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

All I'm saying is, if they're going to do weeklongs at all then don't bother loading it up with a bunch of DLC and repeat listings. :colbert:

It's time for another :spooky: BONUS ROUND :spooky: since this dumbass game I'm playtesting makes you wait in realtime for things to happen. Captain Swing has shared a number of games with me that I never would have looked twice at otherwise, so let's talk about a few that I haven't played myself but know well enough.

J. Vlad the Impaler

I'm basically stealing from my first post in this thread, but this is one of the better visual novel games I've encountered. You pick one of three classes and travel to Istanbul, where dark poo poo is afoot. The game is broken into 15 days (3 days per "chapter"), and on each day you choose a location in the city to visit. The game has been updated since launch so that you get to choose an event to play through in which you get a binary choice, A or B, and your decision affects your stats and the potential to get other events later on. You have 8 stats to keep track of, and at the end of the game there is an actual battle where your stats determine which of your options are most effective. Seems pretty good for a few playthroughs, and they're still adding stuff to it (it's not Early Access). The writing and art style are both quite good, and really evoke some gruesome, Lovecraftian tones. It's also come down in price since launch (and there's a 4-pack for reasons unknown), so I really see no reason not to give it a try if you like creepy vampire stories.

K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2

This one was a little confounding, because we were expecting it to be complete garbage and it turned out to be... decent. I'm actually really torn on Doorways. It's a spooky walking sim with some interesting level design and actual enemies, though your adversaries are a mixed bag. It's clear the dev is no good at animation or AI, so they came up with some pretty clever, non-traditional ways to craft enemies. Some work, some don't, but it's a step up from Slender or whatever. The story starts weird and sticks with it faithfully, and the sequel makes it look like they're going to see it through. If you're into these sorts of games it's probably one of the better ones out there, but I can't recommend it in good conscience at full asking price.

L. The House

Let this be a warning to everyone not to put random poo poo on your wishlist. The House is a badly translated walking sim in a supposedly spooky house. You'll never know if it really is spooky or not because the lighting engine is all hosed up. No light source reaches more than a few feet, including blazing fireplaces and oil lanterns. And even if you could see, you'd be treated to a litany of poorly-animated jump scares and paintings that turn into screamer images. The gameplay is utterly incomprehensible. Don't even get this one as a joke.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zombie Samurai posted:

All I'm saying is, if they're going to do weeklongs at all then don't bother loading it up with a bunch of DLC and repeat listings. :colbert:

It took a little while, but the number of weeklong deals doubled and now it's a lot closer to the usual amount of games.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Breadallelogram posted:

No, because this is a formica table. Green is its color.

(yeah Deadly Premonition was on sale)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

It took a little while, but the number of weeklong deals doubled and now it's a lot closer to the usual amount of games.

I choose to believe this happened just because I bitched about it.

Some good Halloweeny choices on there now like Blood, The Cat Lady, and Ghostbusters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

smenj posted:

I'm trying to work out if this is a game over or not. I mean, it sounds like you've been kicked out, but adventure game protagonists get away with stuff like this all the time normally! At least she acknowledges that it wasn't a good idea, I suppose.

It was a game over, since you get kicked out of the house you were hired to investigate, but like you said adventure game heroes do that poo poo all the time so I just assumed I was meant to smash the antique chandelier against the floor.

Sadly, I was not.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Larva Mortus is a dollar on steam.

Larva Mortus is dumb as hell. Larva Mortus has a name that is dumb as hell. Larva Mortus is a "twin stick" shooter. Larva Mortus is filled with zombies.

However. HOWEVER. Larva Mortus is better than Destiny. And it's $1.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

I choose to believe this happened just because I bitched about it.

Some good Halloweeny choices on there now like Blood, The Cat Lady, and Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters is only a good Halloween game because it's scary that they managed to hack out a game that bad.

Seriously, it sucks.

• Locked thread