Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

What is the point of afa? It's just like a shadow box?

Saw a guy on Ebay selling a fort max and he was like "this is the only afa graded fortress Maximus in city mode"

And it's like

What's the goddamn point. Might as well buy a statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

HiriseSoftware posted:

Buy today, and pay tomorrow, and the next month, and the next month, etc etc.

I forgot, did you buy a toy from me?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Did anyone see AFA guy actually make a sale? He was right at the front and no one really seemed interested, unsurprisingly.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

strangehamster posted:

I forgot, did you buy a toy from me?

I did not, no.

It was a fun show, but that was a tough drive back home. Woke up 5:30am eastern time in Detroit, drove to Chicago to be there right as the show was opening at 10, stayed until 3, had dinner at Lou Malnati's pizza with a friend after that, then didn't get home until 11:30pm Detroit time.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

abrosheen posted:

Did anyone see AFA guy actually make a sale? He was right at the front and no one really seemed interested, unsurprisingly.

He might have owned the little tables to the right and left of him. That one table had a few nice painted customs and some assorted stuff in bins (I was looking for cheap stuff for my 3-year old) but I didn't buy anything.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

ForeverSmug posted:

What is the point of afa? It's just like a shadow box?

Saw a guy on Ebay selling a fort max and he was like "this is the only afa graded fortress Maximus in city mode"

And it's like

What's the goddamn point. Might as well buy a statue

Well the real point of the AFA thing is when you deal with expensive and rare collectibles you have a standard grade from a third party so the buyer basically knows exactly what they are getting.

Of course some people grade everything and leave it in the shell, and of course AFA wants business so they'll grade anything some idiot sends them.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
After working at a hobby store, the whole "MISB" and "AFA" things crack me up. The store ran an Ebay selling thing on the sode, and the collector's market is kind of crap right now. People don't really want to collect stuff, they want to use it.

Anora fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 27, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Found a Sandstorm thus completing the Voyager quest until Brainstorm comes out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've finally succeeded in collecting every last one of this stupid rear end in a top hat:

With a Fireblast FoC showing up in the mail today and I guess I'm still hunting for a turquoise G2 but whatever. I got all of them. gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The one on the far right is the best.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sockser posted:

With a Fireblast FoC showing up in the mail today

Did you happen to find one at a reasonable price? I'm still hoping they will hit like ~$30 turbo-clearance at some point.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Did you happen to find one at a reasonable price? I'm still hoping they will hit like ~$30 turbo-clearance at some point.

$60 :smith:

I am addicted to plastic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice Hypothermia-G2! My brother had a gray one, I had a Slag and a Red Snarl. (Ah, G2, where everyone had their names printed on them, just in case they got smoked in the braincase and forgot)

Get a priest in to bless that BW guy tho

I wish Lockdown wasn't chugly. My wife figured out how to transform MP Sideswipe, she's been asking for something else to try and she loves Lambos. I dissuaded her from the MP Datsun bros, because she's afraid of breaking my stuff and their chest tab scares me, so so far I've thought of Gen Sunstreaker (who I have), Lockdown (who I don't), or someone with a relatively friendly but involved transformation that doesn't involve too much prying one part away from another part (no idea, suggestions welcome).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I didn't mind AFA, until this happened:

sold on ebay for 12 grand. Now, I know AFA are a bunch of shady scumbags but even so, to get a 100 the box had to have been picked in an airtight oxygen-free room with magnetic levers and levitated into the evaluator's hazmat suit hands right? I've seen pristine G1 stuff get 85s because of things like "minor indentation in the acetate window... it's there.... look right in the top corner.... do you see it?".

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Sockser posted:

I've finally succeeded in collecting every last one of this stupid rear end in a top hat:

With a Fireblast FoC showing up in the mail today and I guess I'm still hunting for a turquoise G2 but whatever. I got all of them. gently caress.

Lava lamp altmode was a weird time

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I managed to find a Jetfire at Toys R Us in Bellevue yesterday. Debated on the Optimus two pack for a while but the lack of a face plate ultimately netted a pass since I already had a Classic Prime. Picked up the Voyager class Grimlock as well. Now I'm just missing Snarl and Slog. What are people's opinion of the Amazon G1 repaint of Slog? Is he worth the 35 they want for him? Is Snarl officially out yet or is that in a wave coming up?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Ka0 posted:

I didn't mind AFA, until this happened:

sold on ebay for 12 grand. Now, I know AFA are a bunch of shady scumbags but even so, to get a 100 the box had to have been picked in an airtight oxygen-free room with magnetic levers and levitated into the evaluator's hazmat suit hands right? I've seen pristine G1 stuff get 85s because of things like "minor indentation in the acetate window... it's there.... look right in the top corner.... do you see it?".

God gently caress okay I give up what am i looking for

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revolver Bunker posted:

I managed to find a Jetfire at Toys R Us in Bellevue yesterday. Debated on the Optimus two pack for a while but the lack of a face plate ultimately netted a pass since I already had a Classic Prime. Picked up the Voyager class Grimlock as well. Now I'm just missing Snarl and Slog. What are people's opinion of the Amazon G1 repaint of Slog? Is he worth the 35 they want for him? Is Snarl officially out yet or is that in a wave coming up?

Just get the one I linked, for $17 you can't go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...ansformers+slog

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sockser posted:

It took me a minute to spot Alternators/Binaltech, but sure enough, there he is!

And yes, the one on the right is the best.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Get a priest in to bless that BW guy tho

Found him on eBay, all gold plastic intact. "Nice!" I proclaim, dropping less than $20 on him.

He arrives with a small piece of gold plastic loose in the bag. I pick him up and sort out his legs so he'll stand and lose another bit of gold plastic.

He will forever ride the roof of Binaltech Grimlock and never ever loving move ever.

e:

quote:

I wish Lockdown wasn't chugly. My wife figured out how to transform MP Sideswipe, she's been asking for something else to try and she loves Lambos. I dissuaded her from the MP Datsun bros, because she's afraid of breaking my stuff and their chest tab scares me, so so far I've thought of Gen Sunstreaker (who I have), Lockdown (who I don't), or someone with a relatively friendly but involved transformation that doesn't involve too much prying one part away from another part (no idea, suggestions welcome).

Leader Jetfire?

or a loving Binaltech monster.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

Leader Jetfire?

or a loving Binaltech monster.

Leader Jetfire has that scary mechanism for transforming his torso into the jet intake area...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Gold plastic falls apart even if you never touch it, even if the box has never opened. Good luck with that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

HiriseSoftware posted:

had dinner at Lou Malnati's pizza with a friend

You have chosen... wisely.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Sockser posted:

Not quite all of them.

Phy posted:

PRiD Vehicon?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

Gold plastic falls apart even if you never touch it, even if the box has never opened. Good luck with that.

I've heard you can get a KO BW Grimlock who funnily enough has gold parts that don't crumble (but is like ,super loose overall) and swap just those parts with the original.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You have chosen... wisely.

Heh, it's either that (typically the Schaumburg location) or Portillo's whenever I visit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Argh I wanted to eat real pizza with the TF goon bros :(

On the other hand, I did go to a wedding with an open bar, an open candy bar and later a pierogi bar.

DoctorWhat posted:

Leader Jetfire has that scary mechanism for transforming his torso into the jet intake area...
Honest to prime I had to look his transformation up and he's the first I've looked up in years because that last step is scary as loving balls.

It looks so obvious and so obviously wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I feel like I'm going to break him every time I get to that step.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Sockser posted:

Now you've gotta get all the 3rd party Grimlocki.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like I'm going to break him every time I get to that step.

I've actually figured out how to eliminate nearly all panic and danger. Basically, save that step for last (apart from the nosecone), as you normally would.

After transforming the arms and backpack and getting the wings spread-out and pulling the torso down, you have to orient the legs PRECISELY.

Basically, after rotating the thighs, click the hip ratchets as far "in" towards the groin as possible, so that when you split the crotch you get the maximum possible clearence. Bend the knees exactly TWO CLICKS in from "maximum straightness" (i.e. thighs flush with kneepads) and if you've got the hips right, the tabs for the legs into the tailfins will line right up.

It's still a tricky step, but there's less danger.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Transformers Legends LG02 Optimus Primal the same figure as the original Beast Wars toys? Worth buying at Masterpiece car prices?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

guys seriously what's with that afa wheeljack

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HiriseSoftware posted:

Heh, it's either that (typically the Schaumburg location) or Portillo's whenever I visit.

Goddamn I love me some Portillos.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Rhyno posted:

Just get the one I linked, for $17 you can't go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...ansformers+slog

Sold! Just ordered one. Now to wait for Snarl to sell for under $20.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, felt jealous of you TFCon goers so I drove to Kokomo Toys today.

You guys I spent SO MUCH loving MONEY.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Speaking of spending too much money, is there a release date for MP Star saber yet?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The MSJ posted:

Is Transformers Legends LG02 Optimus Primal the same figure as the original Beast Wars toys? Worth buying at Masterpiece car prices?

How much do you love other Beast Wars toys from 1996-7? If the answer is "they're some of my favorite!" then yeah it's worth it. Or maybe just get that Primal/Megatron 2-pack from 2006, if it's not too pricey these days. The short answer is that that mold is loving great.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Speaking of spending too much money, is there a release date for MP Star saber yet?

March 2015.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Rei_ posted:

guys seriously what's with that afa wheeljack

Read the post again. He's not saying that item has something wrong with it, just describing a hypothetical downgrade rationale.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Here's a few images of that "selling AFA graded Transformers for $4000" guy (he is "IAMRATCHET TOYS"):

And I guess saying "I am Ratchet" while actin' all ratchet up in there isn't met with any level of irony, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

No Action Master, Robot Heroes or Mighty Mugg Grimlock :colbert: