Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

Didn't the OP come back under a new account a few months later and thanked e/n for helping him turn his life around?

E: I just found out that cellulose dust mixed with superglue and baking soda catches fire when you drop superglue on it. Yay!

Yeah, but towards the end it sounds a little like he was at risk of falling off the bandwagon.

e: oh yeah superglue does that with a few things, including cotton balls. It's neat!

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

yes, and a lot of goons cleaned their apartments that day

also apparently superglue is exothermic so that may have done it but I would have never thought that would catch fire

I've had it get hot enough to burn plastic but never actually catch fire. Old-Fashioned cellulose plastics are pretty unstable, so I guess I should have known better.

E: I was applying binding to a headstock, luckily it's not done any harm to the paint and I've got more binding, so no damage done.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
WDE - from what you've shared with us through this thread, building guitars for a living sounds pretty drat hazardous.

Is it your full-time job? and have you ever considered switching to something safer, like asbestos removal.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I came across this last night while sitting at the bar.
http://www.telecasterguitars.net/Pickguard-4-Fender-Telecaster-Guitar-Blaze-of-Glory-New-Scratchplate-Graphical-sale_4887.html

This gave me an idea. Some more drunken google searches later led me to this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US7030304

Yet, I cannot find a single production model ever made using this technology. I came across it because have a black Epi LP Sp II (nice flat body) sitting collecting dust. I thought it would be perfect for a good (read: horrible) full body GIF placed on it. Like a GIF but, a pickguard.

A GIFguard if you will.

would

and if I was talented enough, I would try to incorporate a hand-held light source to use as a hum/feedback tremolo

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

lol dude grunge has more feel than any shredder has ever felt in their life

I don't know about the feels but it should be pointed out that grunge is the worst poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
alice in chains is great and i like nirvana

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

W424 posted:

I don't know about the feels but it should be pointed out that grunge is the worst poo poo.

you're incredibly incorrect

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
is this the point where i have to say grunge, as a genre, doesnt mean anything?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

WDE - from what you've shared with us through this thread, building guitars for a living sounds pretty drat hazardous.

Is it your full-time job? and have you ever considered switching to something safer, like asbestos removal.

I make most of my money from repairing/set ups more than anything else. I'm based out of my house so I can undercut all of the local guitar shops on prices, plus if anything goes wrong they know where I live.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Have you got a company name, like White Dog Eggs, for example?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Remember how I said I was going to 3D print a modified version of TONEZ, and do it for a poker chip?

Well, I decided to set it up to print last weekend at my lab. Found out today that this past weekend was parents/family weekend, and someone just took it off the printer and trashed it before parents started walking into what is supposed to be a research center for helping kids get into STEM fields.

Maybe next weekend :(

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

booshi posted:

Remember how I said I was going to 3D print a modified version of TONEZ, and do it for a poker chip?

Well, I decided to set it up to print last weekend at my lab. Found out today that this past weekend was parents/family weekend, and someone just took it off the printer and trashed it before parents started walking into what is supposed to be a research center for helping kids get into STEM fields.

Maybe next weekend :(

Instead of Rhythm and Treble it should be Dr. Faustus and Seagal.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 27, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

unlawfulsoup posted:

Instead of Rhythm and Treble it should be Dr. Faustus and Seagal.

this is good

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unlawfulsoup posted:

Not sure the world could take that much powerful soulful blues.

The most accurate depiction ever of a white person ruining something.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Ugly guitars with stupid modifications are great and all, but headphone hokum is the best poo poo. The grandest atrocities committed in the name of ~TONE~ come from bedroom "engineers" trying to improve on old designs they don't understand by adding random crap everywhere possible. Tone wood/wire/paint don't have poo poo on the kinds of things the Fostex T50RP mod community pulls.

TONE WOOL

TONE BELTS

TONE DUCT SEALANT

TONE FOAM

And last but not least, TONE POTTERY CLASS LEFTOVERS

At least when a guy decides to replace all their guitar's wiring with vintage oxidized 1960s speaker wire and paint if fluorescent green, it'll still sound more or less like it's supposed to. If you fill some headphones with shredded erasers and steel wool, you just come away with severe denial problems and a Faustus-like obsession with defending your crap's honor on the internet.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

Have you got a company name, like White Dog Eggs, for example?

I do! Many moons ago I had a fully functional website, but the host eventually folded. Annoyingly the data from that site was two hard-drives ago and I've lost everything from it, I re-registered it for the express purpose of hosting the ToneZ file, but I guess I forgot to do it.

https://www.interestingguitars.com (it's just placeholder shite on there, I'll get around to knocking up a rudimentary website at some point).

I had to pick a name when I applied for a business loan, interestingguitars.com was unclaimed, so that was that. I have a company logo and everything! I need to get a new one though, this one is kind of gaudy and I've only got the .jpg version saved.

I've got several different designs for putting on headstocks, but they are pretty much the same thing re-arranged.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Look at the monkey grip on that logo.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Irradiation posted:

Look at the monkey grip on that logo.

It's also Les-Paul shaped :(.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

boost my gain tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I think this would go well with a very tight low end.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
wacka wacka

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

right after i polish my wood with some axe waxe im gonna flip on my tone lube and throttle the D, sharply.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

BTW the description page is as magical as Zachary's stuff always is. Most of it is actually beating up on the "Corporate Overdrive" or "Corporate Pedal", which appear to be Zachary's nicknames for the TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive pedal:

quote:

It was a pedal I had heard a million times before and it was like a filter was placed over my guitar tone. It colored and actually degraded my guitar sound. Like sticking a rag into the mouth of a singer. I knew that was the case because I had set a nice sound on my Skank amp and then turning the Corporate Pedal on I would rather listen to the Skank by itself and not the Corporate Overdrive. This is a sign of instant failure when it comes to any pedal.

No, really, the Corporate Pedal is bad:

quote:

In the case of this Corporate Pedal, I did not use it much because I did not want it to degrade my tone. You know within seconds or minutes at the most if a pedal is good or not. You just have to use your ears and the feel it translates to your playing. Come on, let’s be honest, its like looking at a woman. All you really need is a glance at her and your instincts will tell you if you want to hold her hand or not. Not to be exclusionary, it works with the same gender also if you happen to be gay.

But no fear, the Tone Lube is way better than Corporate Pedal:

quote:

The Tone Lube will make your amp much louder than it is because you are multiplying its amplification ability. You are in effect adding a preamp to it. Therefore, a small amp such as the 8W Skank will become the equivalent of a 30W or larger raging inferno. You will appreciate this not in your bedroom but in a live setting, when playing with a drummer and in a band situation. Or you can take the high signal strength of the Tone Lube and use it to overdrive your non-master volume Marshall or similar vintage amp, the same way as Malmsteen has done his entire life.

And more importantly:

quote:

Made in USA - including the circuit board and completely hand assembled entirely by only legal American citizens on American soil. No third world child slave labor has touched this pedal.
Sounds funny and extreme but an anomaly these days and sadly no longer aspired to. Everyone's vote counts in liberal America. Still got your job?

But that's just a little bit of the 7,500+ words of blather on that page.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fax Sender posted:

this is good

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

tacodaemon posted:

BTW the description page is as magical as Zachary's stuff always is. Most of it is actually beating up on the "Corporate Overdrive" or "Corporate Pedal", which appear to be Zachary's nicknames for the TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive pedal:

No, really, the Corporate Pedal is bad:

But no fear, the Tone Lube is way better than Corporate Pedal:

And more importantly:

But that's just a little bit of the 7,500+ words of blather on that page.

Goddamn but Zachary is a big bag of dicks.

Knew a guy who owned one of his Z1s or whatever and he said it was a nice player but uglier than poo poo and he makes you send him loads of clips and recordings do decide whether you're worthy of his luthier skills before he agrees to take the job. Biiiig bag of dicks.

He took a lot of poo poo for playing that thing with it's deformed weiner headstock but was admittedly a great player in a mathy kind of way.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Haha yeah I forgot about the part where you have to audition for the right to buy one of his guitars

He does have his own video page that includes this informative Zachary Guitars demonstration right up at the top:

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I did a little bit of work on a zachary that someone brought off ebay.

It was ok, but not worth all the hype. Neck pocket was a bit sloppy and there was no shielding (clear backplate) so it hummed like crazy. Also the nitro finish (I assume it was nitro) was starting to break down and crack, although that might have been from the previous owner trying to age it. Someone had put in some type of glue to fill a gap in the neck pocket too.

If I remember right the new owner emailed Zachary for some information and got a rambling email about how he didn't deserve to buy the guitar because he didn't audition so he was obviously a poser and should play on PRS guitars or something. He took the picture off the guitar off his website and replaced it with angry red text. Guy is crazy.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That's some ego

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

That's some ego

I'm not in the mood to navigate his dogshit website but didn't he have a page declaring his love for the Olsen twins at one point? They both looked about 12 in the pictures so it was creepy as poo poo.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 28, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

W424 posted:

actually steve vai et al is the worst poo poo imo forever listen to punk

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltUg0zR9XlY :nws:
Its a steal at only $500.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

actually steve vai et al is the worst poo poo imo forever listen to punk

The great thing about punk is that for ~40 years they've stuck to the same look/uniform so you can immediately go "gently caress no".

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

The product description on the website is pretty great;

quote:

no doubt this device will be purchased by a good number of complete, total dickmorons. and thereafter, we will get emails complaining "it's broke, man, it's not loud enough" or "it's broke, man, it sounds weird" or "it's broke, man, it doesn't taste like a pancreas", or "dude, i put a 9-volt battery on it and it like killed the battery". or even "what's a cv, maaaan?" we get them every time we put out a new product. it's as inevitable as sunshine. or glenn beck hallucinating that lady gaga is munching on his book of mormon.

quote:

turn all the knobs fully clockwise. then start messing with them. they control two feedback loops in the circuit, except the last knob, which controls output level. they all interact, ballface. yes, i cannot explain what they do, and you cannot predict what they do. they will not make you feel nostalgic for the 80s hair-metal era. they will trash the ever-loving poo poo out of your fat greasy snot-eating lesbian vagina-cheese-smelling guitar signal. hah.

quote:

would you like a little story? okay....

one day, little wobbly-bobbly was walking down the street. a big scary white man in a black turtleneck jumped out of an alleyway. the swm screamed, "give me your liver!!" wobbly-bobbly was so scared, he threw his android tablet at the swm. then the swm melted into a puddle of goo. moral of the story: don't buy tablet computers.

Really helps to sell the product.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
So this is what I spent my lunch-break doing :shepicide:

Who need food when you have a soldering iron, a pair of fret pullers (actually my old fret nippers) and a pair of pliers that I didn't actually use and the neck off a lovely Romanian guitar? Not this poo poo-head.

I had to heat the frets up with a soldering iron to loosen them before pulling. Usually this takes about 20-30 seconds per fret, HOWEVER these frets had been glued in with hide glue, so in order to loosen the frets I had to warm them up for a couple of minutes each.

It's a 22 fret (21 frets and a zero fret) neck. Hot hide glue smells like a mixture of piss, rear end and wet dog. Pulling frets is loving tedious and now my hands smell a bit pissy, nrgggahhhhhhhh.

Also, because of the age of the neck (about 30-40 years) there was some unavoidable chipping.

It doesn't matter too much with this neck as it's going to be radiused to 12" (standard Gibson, going to replace that dumb aluminium bar with a tune-o-matic), but it's still irritating. You should be able to see the gap between the neck and fretboard in the bottom picture. I'm going to rout an even channel all the way around the board (about 1.5mm) and put some binding there. I don't have any spare binding at the moment as I've used it all on a guitar body, so anyone got any suggestions? I'm torn between white and cream.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
in the spirit of the hide glue, piss yellow

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

you can get the same effect with messy wire runs over a cheap digitech distortion. in fact that's probably all that guy did

i swear nothing makes me think i missed my calling as a con artist more than "boutique" guitar poo poo

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

tacodaemon posted:

Haha yeah I forgot about the part where you have to audition for the right to buy one of his guitars

He does have his own video page that includes this informative Zachary Guitars demonstration right up at the top:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Ordering.htm

quote:

Do you really expect me to create the worlds best electric guitar and sell it to you while you can not even play it? That would be absurd and perverse; a sacrilege against the higher power, who gave me the ability to create these guitars. Selling any moron a Zachary guitar would be gross disrespect towards God. Tell this to your favorite boutique guitar store owner, who will nice you to death, short of blowing you, just to get your money.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

you can get the same effect with messy wire runs over a cheap digitech distortion. in fact that's probably all that guy did

i swear nothing makes me think i missed my calling as a con artist more than "boutique" guitar poo poo

But..... valves!!! Tone!!! Analogue!!!!

Mild sperg about the Rom-Paul. One of the few good things about it is the wood. Birch core sandwiched between two thin sheets of ply is a bit weird, but it's strong as poo poo so for it's age the wood has held up really well. The neck is fairy-straight grained old-growth Beech and, with that thick Brazilian rosewood fretboard (Brazilian Rosewood used to be piss-cheap) it's kept the neck really straight, especially considering it's been strung up and ignored for at least a decade. I did consider removing the fretboard, sticking some new frets on it and flogging it on ebay, but it would have been too much of a pain in the rear end to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Zachary guitars is like the inverse of the guy who ran Trainwreck amps. He used to go to shows, and if he seen someone using his gear and noticed a problem, he would talk to them about it after the show. If the guy was tight on cash, he would sometimes show up to their next show with a handful of tubes because "a Trainwreck amp needs to sound like a Trainwreck amp"

• Locked thread