Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

I hope they don't try to tie this to River. I'm not even sure how they could.

Just After that dumb Pond River thing, bleh.

Why could Clara see River when no one else could? 'Spoilers'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Pirates of Dark Water, you say

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Burkion posted:

Dark Water as in Evil River... Amy had twins and this is the moustache twirling goatee beard one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

david... posted:

Dark Water as in Evil River... Amy had twins and this is the moustache twirling goatee beard one.

Nah, its Library computer River who has been corrupted by the Cybermen much like Mr. Clever was. She's downloading people into a barebones version of that computer program for reasons unknown and recruited Clara to travel alongside the Doctor too. Get ready for River versus River with the Doctors soul on the line.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At this point at I think the finale will answer nothing so they can draw this out, only no one will care anyway because they have done nothing to make this subplot even a subplot much less an intriguing one.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I probably am late in this, but damnit when I saw the Cybermen in the preview for next episode, I was so sad.

Burkion posted:

What Pond River thing?

Oddity fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 27, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Oddity posted:

I probably am late in this, but damnit when I saw the Cybermen in the preview for next episode, I was so sad.

What Pond River thing?

Gonna assume Melody Pond/River Song

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Who Spoiler Thread: Every River starts as a Pond, Doctor

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The new trailer I just saw on TV has the Doctor asking Missy who she is and she responds; " You know who I am."

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Is she the dream lord?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

[video type="youtube"]?2hp9o0os7MY[/video]

It's that moment again, the darkest day, the blackest hour, the heard this poo poo before episode!

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 27, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh wow, that skeleton hand pressing the button.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

Oh wow, that skeleton hand pressing the button.

No idea what's up with the video tag, surprised you got to watch it. Also, is the planet at the start Trenzalore? Or the planet we last saw Clara on in the Doctors timestream?

Edit: Thanks for linking it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
For some reason the link doesn't work for me, but this does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hp9o0os7MY

I can't remember, don't the Time Lords recognize each other through their incarnations, so that when the Master sees a newer version of the Doctor he's not confused?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speculation time, here we go.

One of the spoilerhounds on GB says that Missy's identity is related to a scene toward the end of Deep Breath. I'm going with his face reflected in the plate he held up to the Half Faced Man. The "time can be rewritten" line in the promo got me thinking. What if at some crucial point in the Doctor's time stream, something got hosed up, producing two separate and parallel threads. One thread, the Doctor goes through his life and ends up with his current Capaldi face, and in the other thread, he ends up regenerating eventually into Missy. We have Chris Addis- excuse me, Seb, who seems to be Missy's companion of sorts, we have an evil Clara, the next episode is called In A Mirror, Darkly Mirror, Mirror Dark Water...we totally didn't do the exact same thing in Series 2 guys, but what if we're dealing with Who's take on the mirror universe? It could play well into the "am I a good man" motif and delve into where the faces come from and how they're chosen. And hell, while we're playing with the evil twin theme, let's throw in the Cybermen and make some Tenth Planet references.

gently caress me if I know how Mondas the Nethersphere plays into this.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

What if at some crucial point in the Doctor's time stream, something got hosed up, producing two separate and parallel threads. One thread, the Doctor goes through his life and ends up with his current Capaldi face, and in the other thread, he ends up regenerating eventually into Missy.

Didn't Missy call the Doctor her boyfriend? That would be kind of weird if they're both The Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

Didn't Missy call the Doctor her boyfriend? That would be kind of weird if they're both The Doctor.

The Doctor has been known to have a vanity problem.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is the latest episode poo poo because people are triggering or is it actually poo poo?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

thexerox123 posted:

She had vanity issues at the time.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't think any of them have been even close to THAT creepily narcissistic, though.

But, I guess there's a first time for every weird personality quirk, when it comes to the Doctor.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dongattack posted:

Is the latest episode poo poo because people are triggering or is it actually poo poo?

the episode is just poo poo up there with RoS

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Opinions vary obviously, but generally the reception to it hasn't been great for quite a few different reasons.

Honestly I didn't think it was terrible, but there wasn't anything I found in it particularly interesting either. Pretty meh.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Dongattack posted:

Even ignoring the mental health stuff the episode is pretty lackluster. The premise is neat, but the writing is lazy. The visuals are pretty, but not especially so. Like kill the moon, they took a neat idea and just failed to do anything interesting with it, expecting viewers just to be wowed with the notion that the moon is an egg or trees save the earth from damage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If Missy is an evil reflection of the Doctor then it would make the fact she's the first female regeneration of the Doctor seem a little sexist.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dongattack posted:

It was pretty worthless. You could never watch it, and you will not have missed anything at all.

That said, I can't wait for Clara to leave the show, and to put whatever the pointless Missy subplot is to bed. Clara and Mr. Pink's storyline is well represented by the overgrowth of trees in this last episode, that's for sure. A pointless sudden growth that nobody will remember after the fact.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Doronin posted:

It was pretty worthless. You could never watch it, and you will not have missed anything at all.

That said, I can't wait for Clara to leave the show, and to put whatever the pointless Missy subplot is to bed. Clara and Mr. Pink's storyline is well represented by the overgrowth of trees in this last episode, that's for sure. A pointless sudden growth that nobody will remember after the fact.

I'll skip it then. Clara i have disliked from day one and i can't remember much of any episode shes been in, and i'm so tired of the Moffat storylines i wanna barf. Just really like the promise of Peter Capaldi, it's the only thing keeping me interested at this point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pinely posted:

Even ignoring the mental health stuff the episode is pretty lackluster. The premise is neat, but the writing is lazy. The visuals are pretty, but not especially so. Like kill the moon, they took a neat idea and just failed to do anything interesting with it, expecting viewers just to be wowed with the notion that the moon is an egg or trees save the earth from damage.

The special effects were pretty crap imo, the fire and the scene where they watch the solar flare from the TARDIS just looked totally unconvincing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Her name isn't Missy, its MissMe.

MissMe? MISS ME? MISS? ME?

PriorMarcus posted:

If Missy is an evil reflection of the Doctor then it would make the fact she's the first female regeneration of the Doctor seem a little sexist.

Congratulations, you're the first person in this thread to chime in with

:siren: PREEMPTIVE OUTRAGE :siren:

over something that has yet to, and most likely won't, happen. Please collect your prize on the way out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Congratulations, you're the first person in this thread to chime in with

:siren: PREEMPTIVE OUTRAGE :siren:

over something that has yet to, and most likely won't, happen. Please collect your prize on the way out.

I don't think "seems a little sexist" comes off as all that outraged.

Maybe you are the one who is freaking out unnecessarily because you thought you saw an SJW boogie-man?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think "seems a little sexist" comes off as all that outraged.

"Seem" is the weasel word cowards use when they want to be on the record saying something, but don't actually want be called on the carpet for it. So whenever I see someone use the word "seem," I just assume they mean "is."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having the first female regeneration of the Doctor be evil would be entirely fitting within Moffat's previous oeuvre

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Wait, Missy is the Brickyard?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

"Seem" is the weasel word cowards use when they want to be on the record saying something, but don't actually want be called on the carpet for it. So whenever I see someone use the word "seem," I just assume they mean "is."

And what should we replace your use of the word "outrage" with, since you apparently don't know the meaning of the word?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reactions are starting to trickle in for Dark Water, and they range from "insensitive to people who've just suffered a loss" to "I have no idea how I'm going to review this".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Reactions are starting to trickle in for Dark Water, and they range from "insensitive to people who've just suffered a loss" to "I have no idea how I'm going to review this".

Wait I'm confused.

Last time the early reviews gave an episode poo poo, it was for the only *GOOD* episodes this season.

Could this actually be good?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That's what I'm hoping.

Also lol the Missy reveal was apparently excluded in the preview copies, replaced with two scenes covered up with big "SCENE EXCLUDED" title cards.

e: uhhhhh either somebody hosed up or this is bullshit.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10...l,manual,manual

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I REALLY hope some one hosed up.

Otherwise, ugh

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Hahahahahaha

Oh god

It's like the boy who cried wolf of internet rumors.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha I hope this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

HD DAD posted:

That's what I'm hoping.

Also lol the Missy reveal was apparently excluded in the preview copies, replaced with two scenes covered up with big "SCENE EXCLUDED" title cards.

e: uhhhhh either somebody hosed up or this is bullshit.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10...l,manual,manual

The gently caress did they do to Capaldis face in that image...

• Locked thread