Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Everyone who doesn't think that Dualcaster Mage is Legacy playable is insane, that card has value written all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

If Ascendancy doesn't go off on Turn 2 it's almost guaranteed to go off on Turn 3 which is still an inconsistent thing for most other Combo decks in Modern.

It's pretty consistent but not THAT consistent. It can still fizzle out on turn 3 or have one of its pieces removed.
I mean its GOOD but I'm not sure JA is an autoban. The mid-November GP could prove me wrong though.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 27, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I actually like the art for Freyalise in her new card more than the one on Pernicious Deed. :colbert:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I had a pretty long (for Jeskai Ascendency) game against a Melira Pod player game 3. He destroyed 3 of my Ascendencies, and I had already wished for one from my board. I eventually went off anyways on like, turn 8 or so. Most games end after 3-4 minutes of turn 3 or 4. if no one has messed with my dorks.

That Freylise and Obnixilis art are great. Thank you, whoever posted up that full art version of Obnixilis.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

UberJew posted:

What did you take out to fit it in, and have you been having any trouble making the double U for it?

I've heard OBORO is pretty good at making 2 U a turn for tron if it is already in play.

Tap for u, tap a tron land to bounce it, play it again, tap it again. It allows you to filter colorless into blue at the loss of a land drop.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm not usually one to complain about individual cards but after the last week of playing modern and the modern daily today, I feel confident saying that cruise is a really, really dumb card.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm not usually one to complain about individual cards but after the last week of playing modern and the modern daily today, I feel confident saying that cruise is a really, really dumb card.

I really want to know how good Wizards thought Treasure Cruise was going to be.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Madmarker posted:

One of the articles from just before Khans release talks about it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Madmarker posted:

They don't test for eternal formats if that makes you feel any better

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

PleasantDirge posted:

They don't test for eternal formats if that makes you feel any better

I mean.. kind of? but not really? Treasure Cruise going to print means that someone, somewhere looked a card that said "U: Draw 3 cards" and was happy with the design file. The card never should have seen print as is, especially with Visions on the Modern ban list.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

I didn't know Freyalise had an eyepatch. That's rad.
That's been around

What's weird is, looks like she has faun legs for no reason. I mean, I guess if you're a planeswalker you can just do that kind of thing if you want I guess.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 27, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Cruise and dig are clearly heading for vintage restriction.

Appeal to authority I know, but here's Chapin's take on it. He says we nearly saw a rare out-of-band immediate banning in modern...

quote:

Look, I know what you might be thinking.

Is Jeskai Ascendancy really that broken? Can't you build a deck that beats it? Is Ascendancy even the real problem?

I couldn't agree more.

Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time seem stronger than Ancestral Visions and Jace, the Mind Sculptor would be in the format. They are busted beyond belief, and the format is quickly going to revolve entirely around them.

People wanted a Modern shake-up? Well, we certainly got it.

Let's start at the beginning. Is Jeskai Ascendancy even a problem?

Yes. It's way too fast, which is not the same thing as unbeatable. It is strong, but not unbeatable. The problem is that it usually wins turn 3 and kills turn 2 a not insignificant percentage of the time. Yes, the same can be said about Infect, but you can actually block against Infect. Besides, Infect is full of Growths, instead of being all cantrips and tutors.

Jeskai Ascendancy is an off the board favorite to get banned in Modern. The real question was whether it would be banned before the world championships. Fortunately (in my opinion), cooler heads prevailed, and Ascendancy will be legal for at least that tournament, Grand Prix Madrid in November, and Grand Prix Milan and Grand Prix Omaha in January. Maybe there will be literally zero Ascendancy, but I doubt it.

I think we are going to go on a little vacation into some crazy alternate reality where Ancestral Recall is just a Modern legal four-of, where the combo decks kill turn 2, and where more people play blue than they do in Legacy, a format with Force of Will and Brainstorm. It won't last long, but it will be a crazy ride.

Is Jeskai Ascendancy too good? The real question is, is Jeskai Ascendancy too good for how fast it is? The answer to that is almost surely yes. However, we will get a chance to live in that world for at least four major events.

There was discussion of a possible emergency ban, but WOTC has now come out and made clear that there will be no such emergency ban. However, it should be noted that WOTC has changed the final four of the World Championships to be Standard; which makes sense, since this is one of the best Standard formats in a long time and one of the most broken Modern formats ever.

What if they had banned Ascendancy though? See, that's the thing. I think Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are even more broken. What if they did an emergency ban and then the format got worse? I think the next four major Modern events are going to be pretty crazy, but they will also help determine if Treasure Cruise and/or Dig Through Time need to be banned. My hope is that at least one of them is still legal when the Modern Pro Tour rolls around. I suspect neither will make it through next year.

But okay. Modern is broken in half, for the time being. How can we exploit it? First, let's see this Ascendancy deck everyone is talking about :

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I mean.. kind of? but not really? Treasure Cruise going to print means that someone, somewhere looked a card that said "U: Draw 3 cards" and was happy with the design file. The card never should have seen print as is, especially with Visions on the Modern ban list.

Actually, it owns that a card like that got printed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Molybdenum posted:

I've heard OBORO is pretty good at making 2 U a turn for tron if it is already in play.

Tap for u, tap a tron land to bounce it, play it again, tap it again. It allows you to filter colorless into blue at the loss of a land drop.

You're only running one copy of Oboro (or at least I and every list I've seen am) and your Expedition Maps are heavily taxed getting your Tron online or Academy Ruins, so while that is a useful trick (used mostly to fire two counterspells on T4 with Oboro+Tron) without some other tech I haven't considered it worth it, so I'm curious what he's doing differently.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

mango sentinel posted:

What's weird is, looks like she has faun legs for no reason. I mean, I guess if you're a planeswalker you can just do that kind of thing if you want I guess.
Well, she is a half-elf, so maybe the elf half of her comes from Lorwyn?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cernunnos posted:

One of the articles from just before Khans release talks about it.

It was basically MaRo saying "yeah it's Ancestral Recall but it's a Sorcery and you gotta jump through hoops" so hey it's fine.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Veyrall posted:

Well, she is a half-elf, so maybe the elf half of her comes from Lorwyn?
Nah, half human from Dominaria.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually, it owns that a card like that got printed.
People may bitch about stuff like breaking formats and power creep, but I'd much rather live in a world where the occasional pushed design card slips through than one where things are consistently underpowered and boring. I've lived through Affinity and Caw-blade. I've also lived through Fallen Empires. I'm much more comfortable with the former happening occasionally than the latter.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 27, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Preview card from PlanetMTG.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Haha is that why the World Championship Top 4 is Standard now? So they don't have to emergency ban any KTK cards? That rules.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Applebees posted:

Preview card from PlanetMTG.

Gravesifter 5G
Creature - Elemental Beast
When Gravesifter enters the battlefield, each player chooses a creature type, then returns any number of cards with that type from his or her graveyard to his or her hand.
He digs in the earth ceaselessly, trying to get back what he once was.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cernunnos posted:

We've been over this before but it's about the consistency of the decks.

The other turn 2 decks are even less consistent that Ascendancy and If Ascendancy doesn't go off on Turn 2 it's almost guaranteed to go off on Turn 3 which is still an inconsistent thing for most other Combo decks in Modern.

If you resolve Jeskai Ascendancy by turn three and have an additional mana open, you win the game. You don't even have to resolve a spell after that, just casting a spell triggers Ascendancy, and in Modern there's no way your opponent has juice for a second and third counter on turn 3. By creating a situation where the deck doesn't have to win counter wars when it resolves, Ascendancy is essentially a combo piece that protects itself by turning every cantrip into a furious dig toward the win, and even instant speed removal isn't enough.

I barely play Modern so I don't actually know if it's too good, but it sure as hell seems like it from an outside point of view, so unless someone figures out a way to deal with it, it seems positioned to be the most consistent win.

Also it violates Wizards wanting an inconsistent Turn 3 win being the best possible combo in the format.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mango sentinel posted:

People may bitch about stuff like breaking formats and power creep, but I'd much rather live in a world where the occasional pushed design card slips through than one where things are consistently underpowered and boring. I've lived through Affinity and Caw-blade. I've also lived through Fallen Empires. I'm much more comfortable with the former happening occasionally than the latter.

Oh, no, i'm definitely glad they're willing to try new/powerful effects, at least in design. Dig through Time, Monastery Swiftspear and Jeskai Ascendancy are all solid examples of pushed cards with multi-format impact. By comparison, Treasure Cruise is a simple effect that has 20 years of history backing up its power, so IMO it's really strange that nobody stopped the presses on it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually Maro has come out and stated that he regrets making Dualcaster Mage red, and would have made it blue if they could go back and do it over agian, but it was Tiago's invitational card so v:shobon:v

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If Treasure Cruise cost 60U instead of 7U, it would be unplayable garbage. The card idea isn't fundamentally broken, it just needs to cost more colorless mana.

rabidsquid posted:

Actually Maro has come out and stated that he regrets making Dualcaster Mage red, and would have made it blue if they could go back and do it over agian, but it was Tiago's invitational card so v:shobon:v

Why? It's a fork effect, since when is that not red?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why? It's a fork effect, since when is that not red?

People used to go on and on about why Snapcaster Mage should have been red and I think it's sort of neat to see them actually go and make the "fixed" version, and I like to make jokes.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

edit: I guess that was a joke? :shrug:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

People used to go on and on about why Snapcaster Mage should have been red and I think it's sort of neat to see them actually go and make the "fixed" version, and I like to make jokes.

People like going on and on about how red sucks, when all anyone has to do is point at Tom Ross and know that isn't the case. GR monsters is shaping up to be a real deck in standard and red is 1/3 of the awesome Jeskai deck that has been doing great in standard as well.

In vintage, red probably has the best creature in the format in the form of Young Pyromancer.

In modern, the best card not named Treasure Cruise or Dig Through Time is multi-format All-star Lightning Bolt.

Red is incredibly powerful at what it does, yes it doesn't get the same sort of shenanigans blue does, and that is a good thing.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Applebees posted:

Treasure Cruise's effect isn't fundamentally broken. Wizards has printed conditional Ancestral Recalls before such as Visions of Beyond and Shared Discovery. It's a matter of degrees. It wouldn't be broken if it cost 99U, so I don't blame them for tuning it for Standard and accidentally making it too strong in eternal formats.

Agreed, I'm glad that they are willing to push the envelope, but I am certainly surprised as to how far they pushed it this time.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Niton posted:

Oh, no, i'm definitely glad they're willing to try new/powerful effects, at least in design. Dig through Time, Monastery Swiftspear and Jeskai Ascendancy are all solid examples of pushed cards with multi-format impact. By comparison, Treasure Cruise is a simple effect that has 20 years of history backing up its power, so IMO it's really strange that nobody stopped the presses on it.

Treasure Cruise's effect isn't fundamentally broken. Wizards has printed conditional Ancestral Recalls before such as Visions of Beyond and Shared Discovery. It's a matter of degrees. It wouldn't be broken if it cost 99U, so I don't blame them for tuning it for Standard and accidentally making it too strong in eternal formats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In a rare bit of good MTGO policy news, the reimbursement policy has been updated to now reimburse you your entire entry fee for an event, regardless of whether or not you cashed out. I am glad they finally came around on this because whether or not you win prizes isn't really the appealing part of drafting for a lot of people, it's the experience of actually getting to draft the deck too. Winning with a pile where you missed five picks because of a crash was always less fun to me than just getting to play a straight up draft, and I am really glad they're making the change.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Niton posted:

I believe someone (maybe MaRo) revealed that they actually kind of did stop the presses on it. The design version was an instant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
What's the smallest amount of colorless mana you could cost Treasure Cruise at that it wouldn't be Eternal playable? 10? 12?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

You're only running one copy of Oboro (or at least I and every list I've seen am) and your Expedition Maps are heavily taxed getting your Tron online or Academy Ruins, so while that is a useful trick (used mostly to fire two counterspells on T4 with Oboro+Tron) without some other tech I haven't considered it worth it, so I'm curious what he's doing differently.

I cut a Thirst and Talisman for two Digs. I haven't been able to use it too much against people but the UU hasn't been too tough to hit, and I don't even have Oboro (moved my one copy to my Esper Mill deck)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Probably around 12. You'd just play with fewer copies and wait a turn or two later than 8. I think 15 might be the miser's copy tipping point.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's the smallest amount of colorless mana you could cost Treasure Cruise at that it wouldn't be Eternal playable? 10? 12?

At 14 it would see much less play, but a couple decks would play a copy of it. Any higher and there's now an Erratic Explosion deck in Legacy.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Attorney at Funk posted:

Haha is that why the World Championship Top 4 is Standard now? So they don't have to emergency ban any KTK cards? That rules.

There are four rounds of Modern on Day One, so we may still see some combo kills.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

If you resolve Jeskai Ascendancy by turn three and have an additional mana open, you win the game. You don't even have to resolve a spell after that, just casting a spell triggers Ascendancy, and in Modern there's no way your opponent has juice for a second and third counter on turn 3. By creating a situation where the deck doesn't have to win counter wars when it resolves, Ascendancy is essentially a combo piece that protects itself by turning every cantrip into a furious dig toward the win, and even instant speed removal isn't enough.

I barely play Modern so I don't actually know if it's too good, but it sure as hell seems like it from an outside point of view, so unless someone figures out a way to deal with it, it seems positioned to be the most consistent win.

Also it violates Wizards wanting an inconsistent Turn 3 win being the best possible combo in the format.

I've played the deck in a few tournaments so I think I have a pretty good understanding of how powerful it is and you are overstating a few things.

1) Its turn 2 ability. Very overblown. It's not as common as people are making out and you need exactly 3 cards. And you can't use caryatid in this case opening you up to path and bolt. It's roughly as rare as the storm t2 I would say.

2) Any control deck or even scapeshift can hold up remand, mana leak, snap mana leak, etc for your ascendancy until cryptic is online. Maybe this has just happened to me a lot but I have very frequently seen them sit back on counters until they are safe. Even with a gutteral response in the wishboard. Alternatively they can bounce ascendancy with cryptic too before you get a surplus of mana.

3) Abrupt decay and counterflux don't care about your swan songs, IoK, anger, flame spout can still hurt, et cetera.

Now, notice something similar about all those caveats? Linear decks that play threats and not answers are just wrecked if they can't race you. Infect, affinity, soul sisters, etc.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

The preview card from Reid Duke's article, like Krosan Verge, isn't exciting to me, and I think it is worded awkwardly. It should have said "two basic land cards with the same name" to be clear that you are never going to get two different lands (snow lands aside). I've already seen people assuming that because it mentions land types that you can get shock lands that share a type.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Applebees posted:

The preview card from Reid Duke's article, like Krosan Verge, isn't exciting to me, and I think it is worded awkwardly. It should have said "two basic land cards with the same name" to be clear that you are never going to get two different lands (snow lands aside). I've already seen people assuming that because it mentions land types that you can get shock lands that share a type.

At first read that's why it's there but it says basic lands so it's a bit eh. Probably for the corner case of fetching a basic and a snow basic maybe?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Applebees posted:

I can't complain. It's more land fetch I can use in mono white which usually has issues with that. It's not great but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Also, they're changing modo's reimbursement policy.

• Locked thread