Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lame, it's not like it would have even been playable outside Commander if it could fetch non-basics, let alone broken. As is I'm not even excited about it for Peasant Cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's the obligatory red enchantment with 10 lines of rules text that doesn't do a whole lot!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

WOTC posted:

Will I get less reimbursement if I won prizes in my event?

No. If Game Support determines you are eligible for reimbursement when you report an issue, we’ll grant your entire entry option back to your account, regardless of prizes won.

Well that's certainly a step toward compensating you for the several hours you wasted in the event.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I love this card so much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That red enchantment would have been good if it had flash.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've played the deck in a few tournaments so I think I have a pretty good understanding of how powerful it is and you are overstating a few things.

1) Its turn 2 ability. Very overblown. It's not as common as people are making out and you need exactly 3 cards. And you can't use caryatid in this case opening you up to path and bolt. It's roughly as rare as the storm t2 I would say.

2) Any control deck or even scapeshift can hold up remand, mana leak, snap mana leak, etc for your ascendancy until cryptic is online. Maybe this has just happened to me a lot but I have very frequently seen them sit back on counters until they are safe. Even with a gutteral response in the wishboard. Alternatively they can bounce ascendancy with cryptic too before you get a surplus of mana.

3) Abrupt decay and counterflux don't care about your swan songs, IoK, anger, flame spout can still hurt, et cetera.

Now, notice something similar about all those caveats? Linear decks that play threats and not answers are just wrecked if they can't race you. Infect, affinity, soul sisters, etc.

Fair enough. Maybe it just moves the meta toward being more control-heavy until it gets banned. I know it's not unbeatable or anything but it's a lot more resilient than other combo due to how much of it is cantrips and how redundant the rest of it is.

Not that you don't already know this :)

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Now I almost want to build a Commander deck for Furnace of Rath + Dictate of the Twin Gods + Bitter Feud and turn every game into rocket tag.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

It's the obligatory red enchantment with 10 lines of rules text that doesn't do a whole lot!
My immediate thoughts when I saw the cardname, casting cost, and art, before I even scrolled down.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

That red enchantment would have been good if it had flash.

My thought exactly, although I suppose we've got Dictate of the Twin Gods for that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Archenteron posted:

I love this card so much.

Couple more for ya:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sarcastro posted:

My thought exactly, although I suppose we've got Dictate of the Twin Gods for that.

I just love the idea of two players about to do some epic combat math after much much deliberation about blocks when you start tapping mountains and say "actually..."

MisterOblivious posted:

Couple more for ya:

The Gisela deck runs all of them, of course.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Apologies if I missed this being posted:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zorak posted:

Perilous Ring

Sol Vault

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

I just love the idea of two players about to do some epic combat math after much much deliberation about blocks when you start tapping mountains and say "actually..."

Yeah, although I think Dictate would still allow you to have this fun (just at a much higher risk to yourself, of course). Still, having two would have been great.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

This is great; pick the Aggro player and the "I only win with noninteractive infinite combos" player. Puts pressure on the Combo player and gives the Aggro player an obvious target in return for ignoring you.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

Lame, it's not like it would have even been playable outside Commander if it could fetch non-basics, let alone broken. As is I'm not even excited about it for Peasant Cube.

I could see 12-post trying it as a one-of if it worked that way. Fetching two Locuses or Snow-Covered Forest + Dark Depths would at least have some potential.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Niton posted:

I could see 12-post trying it as a one-of if it worked that way. Fetching two Locuses or Snow-Covered Forest + Dark Depths would at least have some potential.

Even without the "basic" one it couldn't work, since Snow is a supertype.
Similarly, on why Tribal isn't a supertype, it's because supertypes can't have subtypes.

VV: Oh yeah that would be neat. Hell, even two basic-typed duals would work, and I very much doubt it would be particularly super powerful, more like some good colorless ramp.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Serperoth posted:

Even without the "basic" one it couldn't work, since Snow is a supertype.
Similarly, on why Tribal isn't a supertype, it's because supertypes can't have subtypes.

Oh, good catch. Two locuses off of one card is still sort of interesting if you don't care about the untapped bit, though.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
From https://twitter.com/wizards_magic:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Wow, that's a really awkwardly designed and worded card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Is that Ob-Nixilis with the altar out of the art for his PW card?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

None of them are particularly good, are they? They all look like they went super conservative on the power level because of being able to constantly bring them back if they're your commander. None of them even look like very fun build-around-mes if you are using them as commanders.

I mean, Ob Nixilis is pretty good. 5 mana and 2 life for a flying 5/5 is fair, and then you just have this durdly planeswalker on board.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

HMS Boromir posted:

Wow, that's a really awkwardly designed and worded card.

I like the design actually, but yeah the wording comes off as something like a fan-created card that they just couldn't figure out how to template elegantly.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

The offerings are a cycle, apparently.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/526871887985381376

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh god a cycle of awkwardly written cards.

The blue one will involve making copies of creatures and drawing cards

The red one will be garbage and do minuscule damage for commander and blow up someone incredibly specific that isn't an enchantment.

Or maybe it'll be good! But probably not :reject:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Serperoth posted:

At first read that's why it's there but it says basic lands so it's a bit eh. Probably for the corner case of fetching a basic and a snow basic maybe?

With urborg in play you could get any basic, right? That makes it....still meh, but at least you can fix all your splash colors in black I guess.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Count Bleck posted:

Oh god a cycle of awkwardly written cards.

The blue one will involve making copies of creatures and drawing cards

The red one will be garbage and do minuscule damage for commander and blow up someone incredibly specific that isn't an enchantment.

Or maybe it'll be good! But probably not :reject:

Either the blue one or the red one will give you an extra turn, then give an opponent am extra turn.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

St0rmD posted:

With urborg in play you could get any basic, right? That makes it....still meh, but at least you can fix all your splash colors in black I guess.

No. Urborg, and most cards that say "all" refer only to cards on the battlefield.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

States aren't checked during resolution for the white one, are they?

So if you have curse of death's hold on that opponent, they still gain six life for their spirits anyway?

That's pretty novel. Cool cycle thusfar, I like how political they are.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Red one has already been shown, though? It's the two-player Furnace of Rath.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

bhsman posted:

The Red one has already been shown, though? It's the two-player Furnace of Rath.

Space Heater of Rath

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

I think that's probably a different card, it doesn't feel like part of that cycle.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Elyv posted:

I think that's probably a different card, it doesn't feel like part of that cycle.

And the title doesn't have Offering in it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Zorak posted:

This wouldn't even be very good in limited. Would any one really play this in a commander deck?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fish Of Doom posted:

This wouldn't even be very good in limited. Would any one really play this in a commander deck?

Red and Black can't destroy enchantments. Its expensive because it lets you do things outside of the color pie for colorless mana.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Applebees posted:

The preview card from Reid Duke's article, like Krosan Verge, isn't exciting to me, and I think it is worded awkwardly. It should have said "two basic land cards with the same name" to be clear that you are never going to get two different lands (snow lands aside). I've already seen people assuming that because it mentions land types that you can get shock lands that share a type.

It does ramp you, but the tradeoff is that it enters the battlefield tapped and occupies three of your lands when you use it to ramp. I'm sure there are decks slow enough to want it, though, and it's nice in a blue deck that does a lot of things on the opponent's end step.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like the flavour of a giant obelisk just slowly falling over on top of something and destroying it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

I already know that the answer is "because Commander," but why wouldn't this create one mana of any color? Manalith isn't broken by any means, and this is just a manalith with some extra reach late game. I could totally see this thing working in limited if it were an uncommon Manalith + late-game destroy target permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Chamale posted:

It does ramp you, but the tradeoff is that it enters the battlefield tapped and occupies three of your lands when you use it to ramp. I'm sure there are decks slow enough to want it, though, and it's nice in a blue deck that does a lot of things on the opponent's end step.

Holding this up has the same cost as holding up Cancel/Disperse/most of the unconditional Counterspells, so that is a good point.

• Locked thread