Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

civ 4 no expansions no events no items final destination

It was probably at its most balanced around Warlords

StashAugustine posted:

im pretty sure this is literally the first time ive seen someone say bts made civ 4 worse

Did you really like Corporations, Espionage and the Apostolic Palace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think people who play at lower difficulties look at additions like espionage, corporations and especially the Apostolic Palace as these great, fun flavour additions without understanding the implications on gameplay behind them. But as has been proven time and time again, most people who post here either prefer Civ 5 or are Noble players at best so that's hardly surprising.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I can't believe it. The Yolomancer is finally here.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yolomancer posted:

I think people who play at lower difficulties look at additions like espionage, corporations and especially the Apostolic Palace as these great, fun flavour additions without understanding the implications on gameplay behind them. But as has been proven time and time again, most people who post here either prefer Civ 5 or are Noble players at best so that's hardly surprising.

I think their folks like me who just want to play a history game instead but, unlike me, they think Civilization is a good game for that, which it's not. That's what map games are for, people. I don't even get how you could enjoy Civilization as some kind of history game... What exactly does it do for people in that respect. Whatever... Fucktards...

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I think their folks like me who just want to play a history game instead but, unlike me, they think Civilization is a good game for that, which it's not. That's what map games are for, people. I don't even get how you could enjoy Civilization as some kind of history game... What exactly does it do for people in that respect. Whatever... Fucktards...

or even the stuff like Total War where you can command units directly in battles. i dont mean to say total war isn't always completely broken and hosed up because they totally are, but its still more historical than civ anyway.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

You make your own history.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I play Paradox games for not-actually-history-but-the-fanbase-is-so-cute-insisting-it-is stuff.

Civ I play to beat the poo poo out of England using the Shoshone.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

You make your own history.

The epic thing about making history is what led up to it and, since your alive now, knowing why it turned out the way it did in the context of those circumstances. In Civ you just start as the same thing in the same time as everyone else in approximantly the same conditions. 'Tis an epic game... but for itching an alt history scratch... Uhhh no... Not for this gamer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

i dont really understand why civ has the historical people in it and think its kinda weird

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the Great Man theory of history casts a long shadow, elf help book.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's cool to have those guys in there as pawns or whatever but I don't really get the draw of it for people that think, you know what, I'm going to see if I can make a history where George Washington kills Adolf Hitler. In CK2 William isn't just a dude with a cool historical bio with a badass portrait, he's actually a Norman duke invading England.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Borsche69 posted:

i honestly have no strong opinions about civ 4 other than it's too much micro for me, so i never really got into it. i kinda wanna go back and play 3 again (i played it a bunch as a kid) but the ais habit of dropping cities inside your borders on some lovely mountainous tundra is just too annoying to deal with

it's too bad civ v is kinda broken, i like the ideas of smaller cities with less citizen micro, less cutthroat expansion, more political fuckery with minor powers, and more unique civ bonuses but it's just not terribly balanced at all

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

making your own history in a civ game breaks down as soon as you realize your civ is literally governed by a god emperor or that your scout unit has been alive for thousands of years and somehow sending information to hundreds of miles away

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

The epic thing about making history is what led up to it and, since your alive now, knowing why it turned out the way it did in the context of those circumstances. In Civ you just start as the same thing in the same time as everyone else in approximantly the same conditions. 'Tis an epic game... but for itching an alt history scratch... Uhhh no... Not for this gamer.

The civ4 mod Rhyes' And Fall of Civ is actually pretty cool if you want a historical game ina real world setting. Its on a huge earth map, and civ's spawn at the time period they would have appeared, in the region that they would have existed in. If another civ owns those cities, then you can either choose to let those cities go, or fight with the upstart new nation for them. So it simulates things like the rise and fall of rome, china's dynasties, etc. Its fairly cool, if annoying at times (plagues) and a memory hog.

elf help book posted:

i dont really understand why civ has the historical people in it and think its kinda weird

My dream for a new civ game would be one where the traits are defined by how you play. Everyone starts with a blank slate, but if you build so many galleys or hire so many scientists or build so many wonders, etc. you start accumulating bonuses towards that style of play, or something.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Civ2 had a neat system where you had First To bonuses, iirc, so if you were first to Construction you'd get a bonus to building stuff for so many turns (either this was civ2 or ctp2).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Borsche69 posted:

My dream for a new civ game would be one where the traits are defined by how you play. Everyone starts with a blank slate, but if you build so many galleys or hire so many scientists or build so many wonders, etc. you start accumulating bonuses towards that style of play, or something.

that would be cool

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

i like that too but firaxis will never be the ones to do it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I turn espionage off in all my Civ 4 games.

Civ 4 is the better game!! *Loads up a game with most of the features stripped out and 99 mods added* Rofl... You loving clowns.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

The civ4 mod Rhyes' And Fall of Civ is actually pretty cool if you want a historical game ina real world setting. Its on a huge earth map, and civ's spawn at the time period they would have appeared, in the region that they would have existed in. If another civ owns those cities, then you can either choose to let those cities go, or fight with the upstart new nation for them. So it simulates things like the rise and fall of rome, china's dynasties, etc. Its fairly cool, if annoying at times (plagues) and a memory hog.

Sounds like Civ 5's civics system you numb nuts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Borsche has had a deep seated hatred of the game ever since he forgot to mine a hill in a succession game, earning him the nickname, Borsche "The Tiny Nuts, Fucktarded Bald Mountain Gamer."

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Sounds like Civ 5's civics system you numb nuts.

Not really? Civ 5's social policies you arbitrarily choose things for what you want to do... this would give you benefits for things that you previously done, like what would happen in real life IE: you build a lot of ships, your civ becomes better at shipbuilding. You got the bonuses from social policies from having more, uhh culture, I guess, which is really abstract concept for what would give your civ bonuses.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Civ 4 is the better game!! *Loads up a game with most of the features stripped out and 99 mods added* Rofl... You loving clowns.

Civ4 is a better game, and even Civ4 BTS is a better game, because it piggy backs on the good mechanics of Civ4. But BTS is a worse game than base Civ4.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Not really? Civ 5's social policies you arbitrarily choose things for what you want to do... this would give you benefits for things that you previously done, like what would happen in real life IE: you build a lot of ships, your civ becomes better at shipbuilding. You got the bonuses from social policies from having more, uhh culture, I guess, which is really abstract concept for what would give your civ bonuses.

If you build a lot of ships the President of the United states should come to your house and personally execute you for a fucktarded strategy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

If you build a lot of ships the President of the United states should come to your house and personally execute you for a fucktarded strategy.

lmao

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I think I used to treat them that way before I found EU2 (which would have been uh... maybe Civ 3 era?). But yeah agreed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've been convinced by the honeyed tongue of the world's Most Famous Gamer, Pewdiepie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

But BTS is a worse game than base Civ4.

:eyepop:

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pewdiepie posted:

Seemed to work okay for Sweden.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Building a large navy was an extremely important strategy for America during the late 19th and early 20th century that Theodore Roosevelt himself pushed for... Japan, England, Holland, and Portugal were just a few countries that were able to establish dominance due to their shipbuilding capabilities. Please shut the gently caress up before you expose your ignorance further.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Building a lot of ships is retarded guys... okay, now how are we supposed to invade Normandy.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Building a lot of ships is retarded guys... okay, now how are we supposed to invade Normandy.

You cant if all the cities are built 1 tile in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Battleships? Heh, nice work, for a moron to do. *brutally murders you with thousands of chu-no-ku and bombers*

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
i prefer gal civ personally

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Skeleton King posted:

i prefer gal civ personally

PYF completely soulless and sterile space gaems

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

grate deceiver posted:

PYF completely soulless and sterile space gaems

gal civ ii was full of humor, interesting tech descriptions, and the races had all very well defined personalities and major gameplay changes between them- from how and when they would settle other planets, to what kind of weapons they would build- to how they would do diplomacy, to the kind of tech they wanted everything was p detailed and fun (combat was a little too easy at a certain point though for sure)

check youself

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Skeleton King posted:

gal civ ii was full of humor, interesting tech descriptions, and the races had all very well defined personalities and major gameplay changes between them- from how and when they would settle other planets, to what kind of weapons they would build- to how they would do diplomacy, to the kind of tech they wanted everything was p detailed and fun (combat was a little too easy at a certain point though for sure)

check youself

The military techs in that game had descriptions like "the second laser tier" and a few other techs had placeholder descriptions. The unit builder made combat pretty broken iirc. The AI and how planets worked were pretty cool and that's all I remember about that game.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Oh yeah it was also insanely ugly, uglier than civ 4 even though it came out a couple years later I think.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Borsche69 posted:

Eh, I guess in that lens, Beyond the Sword made things "worse." But the game absolutely got better after that expansion was released.

Civ 3 sucked.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

the Great Man theory of history casts a long shadow, elf help book.

nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

galciv and galciv 2 were made by an insane libertarian true believer, and realizing that suddenly explained the mechanics of "setting taxes to 0 makes everything perfect for your people"

also for some reason buildings do work and people don't which isn't really libertarian at all, it's just weird.

it was fun for a while but yeah the player being able to make optimized custom ships and the computer relying on presets x their tech modifier was definitely a thing

• Locked thread