Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

spudsbuckley posted:

On a more positive note, is there any reason to buy the Wii U nunchuck along with the Wii mote? A place near me has both of them for cheap
A large number of games that can be played with the Wii remote also necessitate the nunchuck, Wii or Wii U. I'd definitely recommend picking up both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The pop in while playing multiplayer in HW is kind of hilariously terrible sometimes. Some missions don't even work correctly because the game just can't generate the amount of enemies it needs on both screens. It's especially funny whenever you enter a base to invade and it just has a single guy inside because your friend is across the map fighting a hoard of enemies.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I picked up Mario Kart last night from Family Video (that franchise rules, RIP lovely Blockbuster) and it's pretty loving great. You guys are making me really excited for Tropical Freeze though, I'll be checking that out this weekend.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DKchat: I've been living with my mom while I apartment-hunt, and the Wii U is set up in our living room. Occasionally she'll watch me play something and ask questions, like "Who is he?" "Why is the boat alive?" etc. The other day she was watching Big Bang Theory and a character mentioned Donkey Kong Jr. She looked at me and proudly says "That's Diddy Kong, I know him!" I didn't have the heart to correct her :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tell her that actually Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr, and Cranky Kong is Donkey Kong. She'll be confused for life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Man Explains the Zelda Timeline to His Mother. How She Reacts Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

oddium posted:

Man Explains the Zelda Timeline to His Mother. How She Reacts Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity

I'm playing through Wind Waker and am totally confused as to whether or not it's supposed to be contiguous with the other games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fremry posted:

I'm playing through Wind Waker and am totally confused as to whether or not it's supposed to be contiguous with the other games.

The Zelda timeline has 3 distinct branching points of which I don't remember or care about the specifics. One of them results in the vastly different flooded world of Windwaker and its sequels.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

Every Zelda game takes place in its own time period and you really shouldn't worry about where it fits on which timeline, but it will become clear where it takes place in relation to other games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The opening cutscene in Wind Waker tell you that the game takes place after Ocarina of Time.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The short version is that the ending of OoT creates 3 separate timelines:

1. The Hero defeats and seals away Ganon, but then vanishes.
2. The Hero disappears without ever beating Ganon (caused by creating a parallel timeline by going back and changing what happens at the spirit temple).
3. The boy from the forest and young Zelda convince the king of Hyrule that Ganondorf is evil, and he never comes to power.

WW takes place after No. 1, where Ganon is defeated, but that timeline no longer has a hero, so when ganon comes back one day he takes over with little resistance, and the gods decide to flood the world to put an end to his reign.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I wrote a dumb thing about the Mewtwo Smash Bros. thing. Come read my dumb thing.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Every Zelda game takes place in its own time period and you really shouldn't worry about where it fits on which timeline, but it will become clear where it takes place in relation to other games.

Every Zelda game except for the ones that don't.

Zelda timeline stuff can be kind of neat to a fan, but you can easily just never think about it and it's fine.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Suspicious Cook posted:

Tropical Freeze is brutal in a way that doesn't really jive with me. Unlike the DKC games on the SNES (barring a couple levels), you can't go back and get anything you might have missed because most of the levels destroy themselves around you. It adds a lot of spectacle and the levels are gorgeous, but I felt like I was never safe the whole time I played it. Then there are the rocket barrel levels where you have to be psychic to get all the collectables your first trip.

I beat Tropical Freeze and I liked it, but I have no drive to 100% it. This is in contrast to 3D World in which I happily beat everything (Except that torch lighting section. I wasn't happy during that. You know the one.) and Bayonetta 2 which I haven't even beaten yet but I already want to go back and do it all over again.

I love Tropical Freeze it's really great, but explain the banana coins game mechanic to me. It seems like one of those games that gives you a limited number of "cheats" which are used up every time you fail and you have to do it again without the cheat.

You're having enough trouble beating a level that you need to use an item, then you fail. You're placed at the start without the item anymore, so if you do that enough times you have no items left. If it's possible to beat the game without the items then don't offer them, or if you do don't put a limit on them.

What is the benefit of that if someone needs to cheat in order to have fun let them cheat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bayonetta 2 protip: Makes sure you have the Star Fox costume on before starting Chapter XVI

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PoshAlligator posted:

Zelda timeline stuff can be kind of neat to a fan, but you can easily just never think about it and it's fine.

There's an easy-to-understand image that explains the Zelda timeline pretty efficiently.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Nolgthorn posted:

I love Tropical Freeze it's really great, but explain the banana coins game mechanic to me. It seems like one of those games that gives you a limited number of "cheats" which are used up every time you fail and you have to do it again without the cheat.

You're having enough trouble beating a level that you need to use an item, then you fail. You're placed at the start without the item anymore, so if you do that enough times you have no items left. If it's possible to beat the game without the items then don't offer them, or if you do don't put a limit on them.

What is the benefit of that if someone needs to cheat in order to have fun let them cheat.

This is how they do the buddy barrels too. If you die, you go back to the checkpoint and no longer have your partner. Often times there isn't another DK barrel for a long time if there is one at all. Your failure is met with another chance at the checkpoint, but now you don't have your extra jump and you only have half your health. It's just a really odd system.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is how they do the buddy barrels too. If you die, you go back to the checkpoint and no longer have your partner. Often times there isn't another DK barrel for a long time if there is one at all. Your failure is met with another chance at the checkpoint, but now you don't have your extra jump and you only have half your health. It's just a really odd system.

You said it better.

My problem is that things get harder if you fail instead of staying the same like every other game. It compounds your aversion to playing because someone who is relatively good doesn't need to be as good as you need to be, if you're worse at the game than them.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's an easy-to-understand image that explains the Zelda timeline pretty efficiently.

This had me scratching my head for longer than I care to admit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PoshAlligator posted:

I wrote a dumb thing about the Mewtwo Smash Bros. thing. Come read my dumb thing.

Every Zelda game except for the ones that don't.

Serious post, I had a dream I was in an elevator a few years ago, and instead of using it I just stood in it for several minutes doing nothing. Then Totaka's song began to play. I freaked out and ran out of the elevator screaming at the office "No! We're not real! Its all a game! I heard the song!"

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

On a more positive note, is there any reason to buy the Wii U nunchuck along with the Wii mote? A place near me has both of them for cheap
There is a link in the op to buy them from nintendo direct as a refurbished package for $25 (wiimote plus and nunchuk). I just got my two in the mail and the quality seems great.

Also am I the only one who prefers the wiimote / nunchuk over other options? Ive only played mario kart and 3d world so far but it just feels good.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah, I am far enough to know that it takes place after Ganon was defeated and then at some point the world was flooded but, my inclination is to think that it was after the Hyrule of OoT, because there are hints towards it being that, but not enough to conclusively say that it's the same world, unless I missed something.

I'm finishing up the exploration of the world, but in terms of story, the last thing I did was the Earth Temple, which I know is pretty close to the end.

Edit: I also remember one of the Devs saying "Who cares about the Zelda Timeline?", making me think that it shouldn't be taken too seriously, but at the same time enough references were made in Wind Waker to make me think that I SHOULD be caring about the timeline.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

You said it better.

My problem is that things get harder if you fail instead of staying the same like every other game. It compounds your aversion to playing because someone who is relatively good doesn't need to be as good as you need to be, if you're worse at the game than them.

This is a "problem" that applies to most powerup/extra lives systems, actually. I was thinking about it while playing 3D World the other day. If you're good you'll grab more of the powerups and keep them for longer, and get more of the out-of-the-way extra lives, but conversely you won't actually need them as much as someone who's less skilled. I don't really consider it a problem but it's definitely an odd aspect to that system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You should not be caring about the Zelda timeline.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Seriously. None of it makes any sense and that idiotic fan theory about branching time lines that Nintendo put in the book makes even less sense. The games stand on their own unless there's the direct, obvious connection. There is no Zelda timeline.

You never hear people going on about the Call of Duty timeline...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fremry posted:

"Who cares about the Zelda Timeline?"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

This is missing Super Mario RPG and, by association, the Metroid series, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare it Not Canon.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

homeless snail posted:

Exactly!

Now the Mario timeline on the other hand...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna play the version of Ocarina of Time where Ganondorf wins because that sounds cool

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

melon cat posted:

Hyrule Warriors might be a tougher sell. I'd probably buy it, but the cutesier the and more colourful the graphics, the more likely it is my wife will join in on the game. If Hyrule Warriors had cats or something she'd be guaranteed to play it.

How does she feel about chickens?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I'm sorry I mentioned the timeline. I'm sorry

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo just released a video of the Excitebike Arena DLC track for Mario Kart 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7yVvxk8Q4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The person who said the final boss of Bayo 2 was a letdown is so right. I guess it's hard to top the first one's final boss, but man he just felt more like a Final Fantasy boss more than anything.

I liked Loki's design a lot, I wish you could really play as him more than that one brief segment.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Most of the way through my first playthrough of Twilight Princess, I thought it was the story in Wind Waker's intro. My thought process was:

- the hero seems not to be around (because he's a wolf instead).
- you collect some weird chunks of an ominous artifact with god powers = maybe it gets used in prayer to flood the world and stop Ganondorf

Obviously it doesn't happen but it would have been neato.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I am far enough to know that it takes place after Ganon was defeated and then at some point the world was flooded but, my inclination is to think that it was after the Hyrule of OoT, because there are hints towards it being that, but not enough to conclusively say that it's the same world, unless I missed something.

I'm finishing up the exploration of the world, but in terms of story, the last thing I did was the Earth Temple, which I know is pretty close to the end.

Edit: I also remember one of the Devs saying "Who cares about the Zelda Timeline?", making me think that it shouldn't be taken too seriously, but at the same time enough references were made in Wind Waker to make me think that I SHOULD be caring about the timeline.

Do try to remember that Wind Waker was first released by in the early 2000s, by when there wasn't as large a collection of at times contradictory titles to try and slot together - and the ones that hadn't been played up as big, key parts of the story were vague enough you could just place them in whatever order you liked. Wind Waker could very well have been the intended finale to the series - it certainly has an air of finality to it - but would have been retroactively nixed by the obvious fact that being one of Nintendo's major IPs, they sure as well weren't going to let it rest. At most, the timeline is a framework someone on the staff decided they wished to have for the setting, just so they could say 'this is how it works', without it necessarily needing to factor into the story for it to work. I mean, the majority of people who watched the Lord of the Rings sure as hell didn't then go out and read the Silmarillion, that's for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The person who said the final boss of Bayo 2 was a letdown is so right. I guess it's hard to top the first one's final boss, but man he just felt more like a Final Fantasy boss more than anything.

I liked Loki's design a lot, I wish you could really play as him more than that one brief segment.

I don't know. It wasn't as good as the first one but you still reverse-spin a space colony into a space-god's face.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Pretty dog gone diddly dang excited for MK8 DLC still with no specific release date.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My thought process through most Zelda games is, wow, this is a fun game, I'm really having a fun time playing this game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought they were deliberately impossible to know what happened after what, since it's cycles of the world that have the same basic events every time with bazillions of years in between.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

My thought process through most Zelda games is, wow, this is a fun game, I'm really having a fun time playing this game

Totally with you on that one, I wasn't complaining. I love TP as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tender Bender posted:

This is missing Super Mario RPG and, by association, the Metroid series, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare it Not Canon.

But how does it tie into St. Elsewhere?

• Locked thread