Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I never hellevator on Starbound because there's nothing to do on the lower levels.

I dunno, pumping the magma sea up to the surface sounds like a fun project to me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have Dwarf Fortress for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I have Dwarf Fortress for that.

I'm not sure one can hold dwarf fortress up as an example of a game wherein major projects are less tedious than they are in starbound :v:

But it is pretty fun there too if you can bring yourself to build the pump stack.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's the destination, not the journey.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Magmarashi posted:

It's a fair comparison, they're both representative of pretty much the same point in the dev cycle and partly avoids the issue of comparing a finished product to a work in progress

Here's the thing about Terraria while it was at "the same point in the dev cycle" (what does this mean, by the way ?? Terraria leaked almost complete, Starbound is in beta): Terraria had fun stuff to do and fun things to explore.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also it doesn't matter if you're comparing a "finished product" to a work in progress at all when we're talking about stuff like cave gen, because there are "finished" Terraria clones with loving horrid cave gen. Your product doesn't magically get better when you stamp a 1.0 on it. poo poo, I can think of a few games that are past their 1.0 versions that I wouldn't consider finished products, like Minecraft.

Cave gen is getting another major pass in the next Terraria update, so even if you were referring to only it specifically as a product, it still couldn't be called "finished".

In my opinion, Starbound's cosmetics and decorations and aesthetic varieties are ahead of the curve when compared to Terraria, where does that play into the issue of comparing a finished product to a work in progress? Are they automatically worse too?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 28, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I was calling out Starbound's cavegen from the start, when they released screenshots and the roadmap indicated it was nearly complete, so I'm glad they're finally working on it

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
So when is the game coming out?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Right now.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Where are the updates oddium?

It has been like six months since your last update and I get the feeling that this early access let's play is just a big scam

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Colonel J posted:

So when is the game coming out?

You missed the secret goone release. get hosed nerd.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tin Tim posted:

Where are the updates oddium?

It has been like six months since your last update and I get the feeling that this early access let's play is just a big scam

Good question, friend. By the way, check out the official Oddium Plays Starbound kitten:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

Good question, friend. By the way, check out the official Oddium Plays Starbound kitten:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Stop comparing Starbound to Terraria. Terraria is actually finished. :v:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Stop comparing Starbound to Terraria. Terraria is actually finished. :v:

Terraria's not finished until Red completely demolishes all aspects of FUN in it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

Especially since you picked a clear and obvious fluke
E: Hold the gently caress up, I just noticed that your jungle doesn't have a Lizarhd temple and your world doesn't have a snow biome or mega trees. Did you pick a map from an earlier version to illustrate your point? lmao
I literally just googled "Terraria map" and picked the first image.

It's changed a bit since then, but not nearly significantly enough to change the point I'm making. Even in the examples you posted you generally get 1-3 on an entire small world: usually one in a jungle, one under the big hill, and maybe a third somewhere. I don't see how that disproves my point, especially since Starbound usually has a few of those per planet as well. Take a look especially at the medium world, where the dirt layer is sizeable: it's mostly solid, with pockets of ore, stone, and a few small air bubbles here and there. Pretty much just like the sample of Starbound terrain featured in the mapper that people were complaining about.
Starbound's system was described as "little spots of ore surrounded by solid dirt/rock with no caves or caverns whatsoever other than those dug by the player", but there are clearly small crevice-tunnels even in the example shown, and while they don't reach the cavern layer, most of the surface crevices in Terraria don't, either. Both games have mostly solid, material-dotted surfaces with terminating caves and a rarer few, in comparison, that go farther. I stand by what I said: comparing the two pre-cavern layers and trying to say one's awesome and one's "lol starbound" is pretty unfair.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

I literally just googled "Terraria map" and picked the first image.

Doesn't matter, you're trolling either way with these guys.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Look at this horrid troll Babe Magnet with their honest concerns and opinions.

Anyways in solidarity I have purchased 30 new Starbounds for the day it is so valued it is used as currency.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rrussom posted:

Terraria's not finished until Red completely demolishes all aspects of FUN in it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Do I, at some point, get a robot that can dig holes straight down for me in this game.

Because I just realized that one thing I hate in games like this (Terraria, Minecraft etc.) is holding down the mouse button while I slowly make a hole downwards to where all the good stuff is (Diamonds, core fragments, hellforges, whatever)

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I have a question for both Afraid of Audio and Babe Magnate.

I'm gay, does this make me a troll in the eyes of this thread?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rrussom posted:

I have a question for both Afraid of Audio and Babe Magnate.

Depends if you are currently using the stable build or nightly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

Surprised he's leaving in the infinite obsidian generators, as he's usually been keen on nerfing the poo poo out of anything remotely useful in other aspects of the game.

Afraid of Audio posted:

Look at this horrid troll Babe Magnet with their honest concerns and opinions.

Anyways in solidarity I have purchased 30 new Starbounds for the day it is so valued it is used as currency.

Starcoins? Bitbounds?

same

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

Depends if you are currently using the stable build or nightly.

I'm not playing Starbound.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rrussom posted:

I'm not playing Starbound.

Clearly you are lying as literally everyone is playing Starbound.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

Clearly you are lying as literally everyone is playing Starbound.

But I'm a nobody?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of updates, there was an update to make the UI system more flexible and accessible and modders are doing cool stuff with it. Someone is working on a scanner and it's getting pretty good:

Norn steal this mod and put it in the game, TIA.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

It's a fair comparison, they're both representative of pretty much the same point in the dev cycle and partly avoids the issue of comparing a finished product to a work in progress
Some things truly never change.

Magmarashi posted:

I think you are over inflating your memory of Terraria's near-surface cave generation. Cave networks that went on and on and came and went in pockets didn't start until you hit the 'Underground' strata, and near-surface cave systems were about the same as we've been seeing in Starbound.

The Starbound shot is zoomed in and is still showing as much near-surface cave branches as the Terraria render, which is over a considerably larger area. I'm confident that Starbound will have the crazy Underground terrain gen that Terraria has.

quote:

I don't often find super long surface to deep underground tunnels that don't require some digging out, perhaps one a world in a normal biome area. Still, good to confirm that you're just going to assume the absolute worst about it no matter what, glad we got that out of the way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Norn steal this mod and put it in the game, TIA.

Seriously, this rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rrussom posted:

Me too, sorry Starbound thread your game is fun but I'm too much of a troll for you what with my gayness and wanting the game's features to be worthwhile to use and all.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

Some things truly never change.

Some poo poo I said matches some more poo poo I said, sound the loving alarms and call the cops

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Why don't you try that attitude in the game dev thread, see where it gets you

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Magmarashi posted:

Some poo poo I said matches some more poo poo I said, sound the loving alarms and call the cops

There'll be none of that consistency nonsense in this thread thank you.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Kly posted:

Please link the thread to me, and give me an example of the attitude, i wish to try it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

Please link the thread to me, and give me an example of the attitude, i wish to try it.

Jackard posted:

:laffo:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Exactly, its poo poo

Can you provide examples I have not heard this tone before
vvvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 29, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If you dont read Afraid of Audio's posts in a tone like a purposefully condescending cartoon cat, you're really not getting the full experience IMO. He's a hero.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 29, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

If you dont read Afraid of Audio's posts in a tone like a purposefully condescending cartoon cat, you're really not getting the full experience IMO. He's a hero.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 29, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just imagine Chuck doing his disgruntled Chuck stare.

edit: beat? i think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

Exactly, its poo poo

Can you provide examples I have not heard this tone before
vvvv

Meh, you're going to have to put more effort into it than that with AoA and DoF around. Take some pride in your efforts and rise to their examples.

• Locked thread