Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

indoflaven posted:

Kid Cudi on the JRE is a nice treat.

Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic sea cow
Dec 10, 2010
yeah it was ok.
joe says that kid cudi coined the phrase "off the dome" and cudi just goes along with it like maybe i did.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

#555 with rory albanese, former writer on daily show

top 20 show for sure, lots of comedy history, hedberg, burr, atell, houston/bill hicks, funny loving stories

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I'll check it out.

Any opinions on the W. Kamau Bell ep?

TheVaultDweller
Sep 27, 2005

XIII posted:

^I'll check it out.

I liked it...it was really funny in parts and w. had some good counterpoints to joe's typical "stop being such a crybaby" rant

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

DJ BK posted:

#555 with rory albanese, former writer on daily show

top 20 show for sure, lots of comedy history, hedberg, burr, atell, houston/bill hicks, funny loving stories

+1, thanks for mentioning this because I usually skip the ones where I don't recognize the name of the guest. Great episode and not too much Joe railroading people with his weird ideas.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, has Rogan totally stopped doing the ads with the guest? I never minded it, but I haven't listened in forever and I listened to two episodes this week where he did them by himself up top.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

XIII posted:

So, has Rogan totally stopped doing the ads with the guest? I never minded it, but I haven't listened in forever and I listened to two episodes this week where he did them by himself up top.

I thought everybody just jumped 10 minutes into the podcast before pressing the play button

XIII posted:

Joe has been a lot more receptive to social justice stuff ever since the internet got mad at him for saying that some people might not like Jon Jones because he is a black guy. Joe's opinions are formed by disagreeing with whoever is upset with him on twitter at any given point in time. It was funny hearing him wholeheartedly agree with opinions that he was mocking 2 weeks ago.

A Keg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2014

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Keg posted:

Joe has been a lot more receptive to social justice stuff ever since the internet got mad at him for saying that some people might not like Jon Jones because he is a black guy. Joe's opinions are formed by disagreeing with whoever is upset with him on twitter at any given point in time. It was funny hearing him wholeheartedly agree with opinions that he was mocking 2 weeks ago.

Lol jesus christ

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
digging this thread out of the grave to say the Anthony Cumia podcast is complete poo poo

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

digging this thread out of the grave to say the Anthony Cumia podcast is complete poo poo

Yeah I never listened to Opie & A but he came off as a douche.

Paul Stanley is a snooze fest.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2014

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
Rogan seemed overly argumentative with that Damer guy. I understand playing devil's advocate but goddamn did it get tiresome once he mentioned the singularity.

TheVaultDweller
Sep 27, 2005

Dip Facial posted:

Rogan seemed overly argumentative with that Damer guy. I understand playing devil's advocate but goddamn did it get tiresome once he mentioned the singularity.

I could understand his frustration because Damer was just saying things without being able to back any of it up with anything other than "well I'm an engineer, so I know"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheVaultDweller posted:

I could understand his frustration because Damer was just saying things without being able to back any of it up with anything other than "well I'm an engineer, so I know"

Quite a few engineers are like this. I attribute it in part to personal insecurities of individuals attracted to the profession, but also the bias of the field they study. If an engineer wanted to understand why the equations he uses work (and the outlier situations in which those equations do not apply) then he would have studied more physics/math/chemistry from a academic perspective.

So most engineers go around thinking they know the equations by which all life works and they have very great difficulty grasping fields like biology which depends on empirical observations of a situation and then describing theories to explain those observations. To an engineer, the theories that they work with have already been established and there is no argument among the elite (ie them). Then you add to that ...let's call it "field arrogance" the fact that communication of technical information clearly can be hard, and it is doubly hard to communicate technical information to a layman, specifically when you haven't practiced and prepared a formal talk, so you get people saying "I'm an engineer, trust me."

It doesn't excuse the arrogance of course.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

indoflaven posted:

Paul Stanley is a snooze fest.

That was a flat spot in the middle where they were talking about Napster and privacy, but I enjoyed the rest of it. There's lots of talk about therapy and dealing with fame and stuff. Certain better than hearing about santa claus mushrooms for the 50th time.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

The Bruce episode was poo poo because of joe, he came in heavy handed, and Bruce is a loving leading edge thinker. Joe just drools and spits "what about the singularity"
joe needed to check his loving beliefs in technology, he made no effort in listening to why technology can't break out of its paradigm and Bruce won't be back I'm sure, loving joe rogan you had on jan irvin for chrissakes and a bunch of other terrible guests that you shouldve hit harder but didnt, guess he was saving his load for bruce

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Any time somebody tries to bring a realistic perspective to science and technology, it gets under Joe's skin, because it's preferable for Joe to live in a world where poppers cause AIDS and dogs are psychic

Science and technology is great as long as it's magic. Also, the guy who made Tony Hawk Pro Skater is good because he debunks conspiracy theories, but skepticism is bad because that one podcast host guy scammed EBay.

Keg fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 17, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
So is Joe ever gonna have some good guests on again or can I unsubscribe from this crap?

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

So is Joe ever gonna have some good guests on again or can I unsubscribe from this crap?

david choe was great

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mcvey posted:

The lady from the Alaska show had some interesting stories about almost being killed by Alaska.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mammoth man and Alaska woman were interesting. It was good to have a couple of episode free of all the usual soapbox bullshit you've heard 100 times.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Speaking of which, I really really like Dr. Rhonda Patrick. A little dry and information dense, but you can actually learn some poo poo from this one.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Peter North posted:

Speaking of which, I really really like Dr. Rhonda Patrick. A little dry and information dense, but you can actually learn some poo poo from this one.

She is clearly well read and very responsible about how she dishes out information, not scared to say 'I don't know', but she suffers from language issues where she's so used to the literature and having discussions with people who understand biochemistry at her level that she does things like repeatedly name every compound involved in a process. It's kinda adorable and edifying at the same time, brings me back to studying biochemistry in college before changing my major.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Has there been any mention about yet another old guest controversy in the death of a Rufous sports fighter?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
oh boy oh boy it's another ~DUNCAN TRUSSELL EPISODE~

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

oh boy oh boy it's another ~DUNCAN TRUSSELL EPISODE~

hey everybody!

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
hello pals!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

Has there been any mention about yet another old guest controversy in the death of a Rufous sports fighter?

What happened?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

A Duke Roufus fighter died in his debut muay thai fight in one of their promotions. The referee, ringside doctor, cornermen, etc were all Duke Roufus guys.

Rose Namajunas has come out and criticised them for how they treat their fighters in training.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

More like Duke Doofus, right, guys?

How do they "treat their fighters"?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

XIII posted:

More like Duke Doofus, right, guys?

How do they "treat their fighters"?

Well one of them died in the ring, so uh, badly.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Keg posted:

Well one of them died in the ring, so uh, badly.

But, if he died during a sanctioned fight, I would argue they "trained" him badly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

XIII posted:

But, if he died during a sanctioned fight, I would argue they "trained" him badly.

Nope, he was clearly mistreated in the fight. By all accounts he was a pretty good fighter, just not good enough.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

XIII posted:

The referee let the fight keep going despite the fact that he was stumbling around like someone who was sniffing industrial glue, the cornerman had to physically prop his chin up in between rounds and was slapping him in the face to get his attention before the last round, the ringside doctor was checking his phone while everything of import was happening, and poo poo even the camera guy just happened to uh "misplace" the footage where he falls to the ground post fight.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

drat. That's hosed.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Bill Burr from last week is a 5/5 easy, and his stand up special on netflix is 6/5,
today joe had a transhumanist on to talk about living forever, I laughed when joe was blown away by sailing without a gps, (loving columbus joe?) he must be high as gently caress at that point in the show, then the dude reveals his privilege (college grad, goes sailing for 7 years, catches malaria, makes mini docs for nat geo, almost dies from a land mine) and now he wants the rest of the world to work on living forever. Jesus loving christ. This guy. Libertarian to the max. unbearable to the max.

and you should skip bitcoin boy 2, why exactly was he on again? come on joe, he's reaching with these last 10 or so guests.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What made the Bill Burr appearance 5/5?

I ask as a fan of his but also with extremely limited time to listen to podcasts anymore.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Thanks to whoever mentioned the Diaz/Joe church episode. Wound up downloading the Live one as well, and it's also pretty good.

From what I'm reading on twitter the one with Schaub that just ended is going to be a can't miss. Joe is apparently giving it to him hard and honest, said he didn't want to do this podcast live.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What made the Bill Burr appearance 5/5?

I ask as a fan of his but also with extremely limited time to listen to podcasts anymore.

Really, the answer could just be "it's Bill Burr". But, Bill just makes a really great guest and he and Joe work well together. One of the things I like most about Bill is he will say something about a topic he knows that he doesn't know much about and then call himself out for doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Bill Burr's episode was great. He's entertaining and it wasn't just another libertarian or magic mushroom circle wank.

Joe was very critical of Brendan Schaub's performance against Travis Brown on the podcast they do with Callen. It was streaming live and they've pulled it down off of everything now.